The Reality Vortex: Red Reputations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Berserk snorted a laugh in response to Avalon, as she found it endearing neither he or Zenta knew much about the terms. "Well see, Earthling just means people who live on the planet Earth! I guess you guys didn't live on it in your old universes. Lots of humans come from Earth, but MY Earth has non-humans on it; aliens are just whatever beings come from other planets in outer space," she explained before trailing off into her own set of rhetorical questions. "Hmm.. but if we all came to a separate realm from our home universes, are WE the aliens or are we 'Vortexlings'?"

"Well, I'm certainly no alien even if I went around touring through worlds as my hobby. Angels, demons, and witches are too connected to the world of humans to have a label like that." Bern said before glancing back towards Nia, her brows raising somewhat at her complete lack of hesitation. "Color me surprised. And here I thought it wouldn't be nearly that easy given our track record of running across unruly strangers," Bernkastel quipped cynically before bending down to reach for the Coins. 

When Nia cut herself off mid-sentence, however, Bern was startled by the sudden appearance of cracks and fissures around them. 

"Guys, watch out! The ground--!"

"?!" Eyes widening, she got into a defensive stance as Berserk shouted a warning to the others to watch out. "An ambush from below?!" Bern clenched her fists as she prepared to start another round of battle, raising an arm just as the ground crumbled away-- yet there weren't any Xy'pher hordes doing it. Just as it happened she felt herself being picked up by a force and started to kick the air like a child fruitlessly. "So my hunch was right! You'd better put me down unless you want to get a beat... down...?" she stopped thrashing once her eyes caught that the only things down below were those Coin Gremlins again. Bern watched them be lifted up into the air, silent as Nia brought the creatures close to her.

"Gah! Those little creeps are everywhere like little roaches. I don't feel bad stepping on your other buddies, ya boogers!" Berserk grimaced at them floating past, holding down her skirt with a free hand. "Good riddance!" she said as Nia crushed them mercilessly into powder. The Powerpunk remained afloat once Nia released them, crossing her arms. "Well, it'd be bad if those got stolen, but warn us next time before you handle my person like that wouldja?"

Bernkastel wasted no time in gathering the Coins once she landed, dusting off her knees before bringing the small coin pile close to Spina and Bage to inspect. "It's all there, with bonus. To think there exists Xy'phers stronger than those Berserker Elites..." listening to the rest of Nia's story, she did not give Zenta an immediate answer as she seemed to be pondering things over with a slightly puzzled expression. "She has followed my demand to the letter without hesitance. It's hard to suspect she is a spy given how painfully honest she's been with us about the Xy'phers as a species, and killing her own kind with nothing happening to her makes a good case she is fully independent of the King now. But making peace with possibly ceasing to exist following the Red King's defeat... all as part of her own free will?" Bern furrowed her brows, unable to comprehend that aspect on a personal level of Nia's character rather than a point of suspicion.

Looking at the others, she gave her firm answer. "With that sort of Xy'pher around, it would be best if we kept Nia close. An enemy of an enemy is our ally, as they say."

"I also vote we get the heck out of here. Nia can be our radar for any more Xy'phers." Berserk agreed. "It'll also give us a chance to recover our strength while we think up a plan."

Vegetto's expression softened slightly at Superman's pat. His eyes followed the Kryptonian throughout his reassurance, and after the final comment about his attitude, Vegetto finally exhaled a deep sigh and steadily relaxed his muscles.

"Thanks...Clark. I'll...try."

Cayde kept a wide smile at the exchange, proudly placing his hands on his hips while he spoke in a near whisper.

"This is so much easier with Clark back. Sheesh."

At the dismissal of any relevant information on Ultraman's location, Gogeta broke out into a small frown in standing off from Superman. Yet his eyes trailed over to Vegetto, glancing among the three in their shared unity. An obvious bond had been established in the past between them, a history unknown to the fusion. However, the interest was less in knowing how the group became friends but more in that they were strongly despite the rancorous and destructive behavior of his counterpart. The effort that Superman went into to disarm Vegetto when it'd be simpler to turn him into a coin, the extensive disrespect and risk to his own life that Cayde endured to simply build up someone he called friend. Gogeta frowned a bit in watching Cayde breathe a sigh of relief, preparing to pose a question but was cut short from the sudden emergence of the floor cracking at their feet.

Vegetto's eyes instantly narrowed, turning to see the display while the group floated from the psychic powers. Cayde and Gogeta both floated around in pure confusion, but all remained silent while Vegetto's growing distrust in the situation showed in his expression. He folded his arms across his chest while he came to a steady landing from the psychic powers, the malicious pressure from earlier steadily rising. Yet the sensation could not be felt by the average combatant; no actual energy was present from the Potara fusion. The same toxic and dark telepathic pressure that nearly drove Bernkastel to fight immediately radiated from Vegetto once more, with only strong telepaths capable of feeling the sensation. To any capable of reading minds, Vegetto's aura was quite obvious; a warning of impending danger mounting in its radiance.

The Potara fusion having opened his mind meant that he was probing that of another, and his rationale present on his findings on what little he could sense from Nia, in her chaotic rationalizing of her background. The emotions in desperation and a desire to do whatever it took to convince the Breakers of noble intentions seemed to be all Vegetto pulled on, and his narrowed eyes only sharpened in his glare once he finally spoke.

"This naïvety is disgusting. She kills a couple of bottom feeders, gives us a few coins, and suddenly you all ignore the fact that she's supposed to be the second in command for the Red King."

Cayde perked his head slightly at the aggressive counter argument posed, but remained silent as Vegetto continued while glancing around.

"Have you lost your minds? The Red King has been routing you and outsmarting you at every turn. You think he'd just let his second best escape like that? He's using her to find us; whatever you hope to gain from this...thing...is nothing compared to the advantage he'd get over us."

Vegetto raised his right arm, an open palm outstretched with his thumb curled in the center in the Big Bang Attack pose.

"The spy is right here in front of us. Stand aside, I'll take care of this."

07 asks "Mistress may I ask you some thing?" May says "ask." 07 asks "the one called Vegetto knows that the information center was hit even before Nia was involved?" May says "that hard to determent that but he makes a fair point. Despite that I think our little group loses nothing even if Nia leads us in to a trap."

07 looks confused at May. May explains "form what we seen form there fight with doom and this fight. Worst case we remove some threats and confirm Nia is a spy; best case we find a good way in there HQ and remove the head form the serpent."

“Aliens is an abstract concept for humans; a way for them to refer creatures from different worlds.” Lucifer continued his brief lesson regarding Reality Vortex. “Using that as a base, the Saiyans and even myself can be considered “Aliens”; we all came from places that isn’t Earth. Of course, the term Alien have no significant weight now since we all came from various worlds.” The angel agreed with Bernkastel’s take. “In countless universes, Earth is often the epicenter of many tragedies.” The corner of his lips curled into a smile, his blue eyes locked onto Avalon and Zenta in particular. “I wonder if this so-called beast made his way to Earth.”

Jokes aside, Lucifer studied Nia’s behavior throughout her explanation, and her attempts to earn the Breakers’ trust was interesting to him. Hovering the ground to avoid the debris from dirtying his suit, Nia destroying the Coin Gremlins confirmed his notation. With a simple nod, Lucifer withheld his comments for the moment; the spark of animosity pressure from Vegetto caught his attention. The mere idea that Bernkastel and the others was willingly to trust Nia was more than enough provocation.

After Bernkastel took over negotiations, Spina hardly made the effort to go against it. This was not the sign of the old burly Saiyan bowing out: his decision is already made, regardless of anyone’s input. Instead, Spina simply paid attention to Nia’s story and listen to what others had to say. Except for Bara. He practically excludes her contributions the moment she resigned from the group. He watches her moments; her attempt displays to prove that she wasn’t like the other Xy’phers. And when Bernkastel presented the Vortex Coins to him, Spina had made his decision.

“Bage’s intuition is correct. And Nia did answer all the questions without hesitation.” Detective Spawn crossed his arms after seeing Nia presented the Vortex Coins. He held onto the Reporters and President Beard, then gently put them on the ground after. There was concern regarding Nia being the second in command for the Red King, but May is right. “At worst, she’s spy. However, this could be a golden opportunity to seek out the hornet’s nest. This isn’t about trust; just an informative tool we can use. Besides, we were supposed captured a Xy’pher for questioning and info-dumping anyways—” Just as Spawn finished his perspective, Vegetto stepped in with a complete dismissal of the negotiations. “What?”

Spina turned his head slightly towards Vegetto’s direction, but Clark placed his left arm on the fusion’s shoulders. “Vegetto,” Clark said in a stern voice; not in a way to be demeaning, but in a place of genuine concern. “Don’t disrespect the others. You won’t ever get reconciliation if you insist on trampling them down. Calm it down, okay?” The last wording was vague, but it was explicit to both Vegetto and Cayde in regard to the context behind his wording. “Don’t take it to heart; they are looking for a way that’s advantage to them. This is not about you as a person, okay? Don’t force it.” Clark stared at Nia’s direction. “My apologies little shrimp! I was distracted, so I didn’t have time to think about that and jumped to conclusions."

“No, please, let Vegetto destroyed Nia.” Lucifer chuckled with a smirk on his face. “I’m sure if he keeps brute forcing his way in, he’ll gets what he desires any day now.” The angel crouched down and let Lilith crawled up his arm. “Miss Nia. I thoroughly enjoyed that you liberated yourself from oppression and experience freedom. That’s what all mortal beings should seek.” Lucifer was in awe at the level of autonomy Nia displayed to prove that she was not align with the Red King.

“I was curious to see Xy’phers singled out the traitor Xy’pher after that wonderful battle in Metropolis. Red King personally step in and destroyed the defunct that failed to adhere to his authority. So, Lilith made some Xy’phers fight each other to see if such thing would be repeated. Without fail, they would point out the traitor and abandoned them. Lilith here happen to capture a Xy’pher through consumption; if that thing comes out and see Nia, it will have one of two reactions.” Lucifer stared at Nia. “Then we’ll see if she useful to the mission to eliminate the Red King. Now, dear leader,” He said without referring who, “What’s it going be?”

"Well, shucks, looks like Nia isn't all that bad. She managed to kill those nasty gremlins," Avalon said to Berserk. "She followed Bernkastel's orders down to a T and even spotted the enemy hiding right under our feet. Maybe we should at least listen to what she has to say..."

"Yes! That would bring me the joy, purple-elf-creature!" Nia nodded. "I am here to help bring down the King by any means possible before he consumes this world. I would be glad to provide assistance in fighting the other Xy'phers. I am more worried about the Xy'pher Recon. Not only that, but I know it is trying to learn more about this world and the people in it. I recommend being careful with what you say in front of the Xy'phers from now on... The word spreads very quickly."

However, when Vegetto approached Nia with his beliefs and prepared to strike her down with an ultimate blast, Nia held her hands in front of her, trying to wave the danger away. Similar to how Nia acted with Superman, she tried to plead with the Breakers, particularly with Vegetto, that she can be trusted compared to the other Xy'phers.

"No, please cease your bloodlust, pineapple-haired-man! I am not the spy, honest! I understand my position in the Xy'pher army is alarming, but this was back on Earth. I am a traitor to the Xy'pher army, and thus, I am to be executed by the King for my rebellion. For me to betray you in any way would mean certain death for me. It's foolish!" Nia reached into her tiny pouch and pulled out a small piece of paper written in an unknown language. The Xy'pher read the note just fine, indicating that the note was written in their language. "I managed to intercept a message that was being passed around, direct from the King himself. It mentions that all Xy'phers are to follow a creature named... Veh-gee-toe? 'Due to his popularity, he will lead the Xy'phers directly to the Breakers. He defeated the unstable Eleki and boasted about wanting to meet the King in person. Impressed by his words, the King started to enhance and improve all Xy'pher production by 300%. All Xy'phers are to report back to their hives and receive the upgrades.'" Nia sighed as she read this. "It seems that this Veh-Gee-toe character excited the King back in the City of Metropolis... We must watch out for the Veh-Gee-toe."

"Uhh..." Avalon stared at Vegetto with a surprised and angry face. "I think we should let Nia go, I think she's telling the truth. In fact, I know she's tellin' the truth."

"I do not lie to you. Please, try to convince the Pineapple-haired-man before he decides to execute me!"

Bage listened to Nia's explanation carefully, as she motioned toward her core the junior detective came closer to examine the cracked interior. From the look of it, the coin attached seemed to have been extracted. All the details she had explained so far, as well as smashing the small gremlins seemed genuine. But with everyone having mixed feelings on whether to trust Nia or not, it was hard for Bage to think. He agreed with Vegetto on one thing. Anything that was a Xy'pher couldn't be trusted whatsoever. She had even said it herself, there were even Xy'phers that could disguise themselves as people now. As if that wasn't already apparent from the fight they had just had with Xyph'er Goku. All this information was piling on Bage's mind, he barely had enough time to think clearly before trying to gain some clarity within the group.

"Everyone settle down, please!" Bage commanded for a second. "This is becoming increasingly difficult, especially with this internal conflict that just arises between the Breakers. But besides that, there won't be any way to know for sure if we can trust this Xyph'er fully. She's passed Bernkastel's test, killed a few gremlins, and told us that Xy'phers can now take on the human form. All of that information is irrelevant because we've deduced that they can change form from the moment Goku arrived and caught us off guard. And if the King is becoming capable of giving his soldiers human form, it can be assumed that they can also resist temptations like parting with a few coins. Vegetto has a point, this Xy'pher being the right hand of the Red King should automatically negate any reasoning this being could give us."

Bage rambled out loud to the group, trying to summarise the details that have been shared so far. 

"That being said, I'm more interested in the mention of the King's supposed weakness and the improvements of the Xy'pher army. This could definitely be bait to lower our guards again with this newfound "security" to find the Red king. But even if it was, the other option would be to destroy this rogue Xypher and go back to being completely blind to the army's movement, all while the King has been able to keep a close eye on us up until this point. We can't hide from them, so it could at least be beneficial to know where they are. Or I should say, whenever they're hiding in plain sight. So again... there's not much we can do other than believe what Nia is telling us."

"I agree with Bage," Bara said, looking stern, "if the Red King would be using this to anticipate our movements, we could use that to our advantage, let him think we play into his hands while gathering the information we need about his movements, this disposition of his forces and how to neutralize any threat they pose. But this will NOT work if we keep arguing amongst ourselves like toddlers."

Vegetto's eyes snapped to Superman immediately, the growing agitation strong in his dual voice yet the venomous tone low enough to remain between the three.

"But Clark?! They're gonna let this thing get an upper hand on us; we don't know what it's capable of...and if it decides to mind control everyone...then...then..."

Cayde deadpanned with his mechanical eyebrows, glancing back towards Superman for a brief moment before turning to Vegetto.

"You're really worried about mind control?"

Vegetto's glare darted between Cayde and Superman briefly for a few seconds, the Potara fusion falling silent while he slowly turned his eyes forward. Nia's revelation of the increased Xy'pher production only further spurned the Potara fusion into anger, the mounting frustration projecting onto the rogue Xy'pher despite her naive and pure intentions. Yet the mounting frustration found a new target as soon as Avalon spoke out once again in defiance of Vegetto's ego, and the Potara fusion immediately snapped his head to the side with his arm still outstretched.

"By all means, you're welcome to die with her! Back her up and-"

"Hey stop it!"

Cayde moved quickly to stand between Vegetto and Avalon, pausing in glancing between the two in forcing a moment of silence. He then gestured with his left gloved hand towards Bage with an audible sigh.

"Look, just...you two need to listen to the detective, ok?"

His mechanical head turned first to Avalon.

"I get that you like to see the good in people...and you know what? You might be right...but it's kinda dumb to trust the literal second of the Xy'pher army when you've only known her for five minutes. So let's not be so gung ho about needing to trust her, ok?"

Cayde then immediately turned to Vegetto.

"And I get it, we can't trust her completely and she might be a tool for the King, unknowing or knowing. But if we just destroy her now, it's like Bage said: we won't know anything, and the Red King will still be able to find us anyway."

The android then nodded once more to Bage.

"So yeah, it's like the others' said: if we give her a shot...we get one step closer to ending this once and for all. We have to take the fight to the Red King or his advantage will only get bigger. If that means springing a trap in Nia, then so be it."

Gogeta stood on in silence throughout the whole exchange, his eyes lifting to stare on at Vegetto. The Potara fusion slowly lowered his arm, the dejected scowl still on his face but managed to turn his gaze off Avalon and cross his arms. The frustrated eyes turned to Superman next, a low scoff in pained yet acceptance of Superman's advice before standing completely still in silence.

Cayde eyed Avalon to see the ninja's reaction, but then coughed audibly while nodding to Lucifer.

"Or if anyone wants to keep asking questions, we can play Lucifer's game. I think he really wants to use his trick and it'd be rude not to give him his moment."

Berserk rubbed her arm uncomfortably at the rising tension from Vegetto's scathing commentary about the group's decision to spare Nia. She didn't say much outright because it seemed Superman was already acting to quell the other man's simmering wrath.

"Berserk."

"Y-yeah?" 

She turned her head towards Bernkastel, who had turned her back on Vegetto with a scowl on her face. Clearly she didn't take kindly to his approach of forcing things to go his way in the face of disagreement, and annoyance was barely contained in her low tone.

"Is what Nia said true?"

Berserk fidgeted with one of her hair ribbons before nodding. "Yeah. It happened while you and Zenta were passed out; said it when the Red King talked to us through the Elite Xypher's head." In the moment it looked like a rather heroic scene, but hearing it again with the new intel Nia had given them made it out to be a strategic blunder. "I guess when he said he'd analyze the whole thing and prepare his army for Vegetto, he really meant it."

"I see." Bernkastel's dark expression bordered on a display of disgust or rage. Before her realization of Vegetto's boasting had done-- amidst the further exposure to his toxic aura-- fully grasped her lucidity once more, Bern's attention swam in and out to take in what the others were saying in their attempts to convince each other into making a decision. She seemed to gradually ease her tense demeanor while she listened to them.

Berserk floated closer towards Lilith to see what Lucifer was referring to, and her eyes widened on seeing the snake in fact appeared to have 'eaten' a Xy'pher. "Wow! So that's what you guys were up to while we were dealing with Goku? You guys are really something if you did all that by yourselves," she said in awe while gently petting Lilith's head as a complement. "That sounded like a fun time all on its own!"

"Indeed. What an insightful discovery, Lucifer!" Bernkastel clasped her hands together, speaking in an uncharacteristically cheerful voice with a smile. "Any moment longer and I think we really would have placed ourselves in a difficult position there! Having someone so resourceful on our team is truly valuable. Looks like we owe you one." Glancing briefly toward Vegetto, her childlike smile seemed more like a beguiling smirk.

Bern then turned to address the others. "It's clear that both sides are in such precarious positions that appealing to emotions cannot fully dispel the suspicion some harbor. But at this point, being chased down and cornered by the Xy'phers is no longer 'if' but 'when'. Which is why I also think it best we use Lucifer's insight: how the captive reacts to Nia should remove any doubts left."

"That makes enough sense to me," Berserk said. "What we knew about the Xy'phers is outdated by now for sure. Heck, who knows when they were recorded... but what about the Recon?"

"Don't worry. I've got just the place where we can do the test. I cannot divulge to you its exact location, Nia, but it's the most safe for us all." Bernkastel held her hand out to the side before a portal to Rogue City opened up with room for people to pass through, glancing at them over her shoulder.

Clark let out a heartful chuckle, enjoying seeing Cayde handling Vegetto with care. “This is why I always like you Cayde! You got that spirit and spunk to bring some sense into things!” Eying Vegetto again, the Kryptonian was out at ease that the fusion stands down and didn’t blast Avalon. He couldn’t understand it fully, but he felt a darkness eroded in his friend that was causing others to react in the same manner. Bernkastel’s tone upon learning Vegetto’s boast to the Red King backfired was clear example of such. “It’ll be okay,” Clark said, “I’m here, and buddy Cayde is here too to back you up.” He patted the android on his back, once again letting out a heartful chuckle. “Clear your mind; whatever happens, I’m sure we can stop it. Alright?” Seeing Bernkastel making the portal to return to Rouge City. “C’mon, let’s go home.”

Detective Spawn crossed his arms after seeing Vegetto stand down thanks to Cayde and Superman. Hearing that Vegetto taunted the Red King and had a hand in pushing the Red King to doubled Xy’phers production left a bad taste but didn’t call him out on it. He believes that after the event with Brainstorm, he can’t comment on the matter without crossing into the realm of hypocrisy. Spawn turned to the reporters and President Beard. “Are you capable of going home yourselves? Just on a safe side, May, lend one of your orbs so make sure they won't get ambush.”

“I can take them home,” Sky digs into his pocket and pulled out a small capsule. “It contains a helicopter. I’ll take them to safety, and we’ll warn about the Xy’phers.”

President Beard nodded. “Thank you… for saving us…” He said, his gratitude seemingly less sincere after what he just witnessed. Stacey protested but had to comply since Chad’s camera was no longer operational.

Seeing that they are able to take care of themselves, Spawn listened to Bage’s thoughts on the manner. It left him impressed of how Bage handled the situation, Spawn agreed with his logical argument: even if it’s a trap, might as well grab as much intel as needed rather than going in blind. He didn’t trust Nia. Not even close. He absolutely believes that there’s an ulterior motive for the Red King to take advantage of. But any intel is good intel, and it’s better than absolutely nothing. “You’re sounding more like a Senior Detective, Bage. I think I’ll hand over the reigns as the Boss of the Detective Agency to you after all. This kind of role doesn’t suit me, anyways.” He said in passing in a causal manner. “That’s what you been doing all this time? I thought you weren’t a fighter?”

“That is true, Detective Spawn,” Lucifer answered. “But I do intend on honoring this mission that we’re set out to be, while you fine men and women enjoy partaking in skirmishes.” Seeing Berserk praised the duo for their part during the chaos, allowed the angel to add more interested into the Powerpunk. “Indeed, my dear. I’m more than willing to give you some insight of my capabilities when downtime nears.” Lilith seems to actually enjoy being petted by Berserk. “Lilith seems to have taken a liking to you; a rarity.”

Bernkastel’s extravagant praises to Lucifer wasn’t lost on him; rather, he adds onto it. “どうもございまずいます!” Lucifer bowed professionally. “I won’t allow the Breakers will be swallowed up by someone that seeks to oppressed freedom.” Corners of his lips curled upward into a sheer. “Rest assure, I will continue to be of use that bring the fullest potential out of you Breakers. That alone is enough to satisfy the debt for now.” On the topic regarding Nia’s fate, the angel added. “You should all be aware as I expressed such earlier. I cannot stand liars,” Lucifer eyed Zenta briefly. No words needed, but there was something that the angel alluded towards the blind fox. “I’ll see to it to find out if this Xy’pher is telling the truth or not.” After Bernkastel created the portal to Rogue City, it prompted the angel to move. “Let’s no waste any more time.”

When Bernkastel glanced over her shoulders; suddenly, a feminine figure stood next to in between Zenta and Avalon. She has short, curly hair that covered her left eye. She had a long dress with long sleeves. Despite her appearance among the Breakers, none had noticed her. Rather, the cannot. Her presence is completely unnoticeable and cannot be detected by any means. Only Bernkastel is able to bear witness to this strange woman that appeared before her. Only she can sense an overwhelming dreadful pressure that weight heavy on her, mentality and physically that it became difficult to breathe. Everyone looking at Bernkastel will simply see her glancing at them for opening the portal.

Raising her left arm, the strange woman pointed to a direction to where Spina stood. As the others are supposed to be heading towards the portal to return to Rouge City, Spina is walking the opposite direction. “Spina is leaving,” She called him by name. Her tone was simply lacking, no amount of emotion was felt in it. “If you let him go, all connections he has will be lost, and he’ll truly become an behemoth.”

Spina had silently made his decision after Bernkastel took the lead of being in charge. The old Saiyan was not aware that Vegetto had boasted towards the Red King, and because of such, it led to the rampant production of the Xy’phers. Had he been there, Spina thought, things would’ve gone different. If Gogeta never prompted him to fight him; had he finished off Roya on his own accord; had he destroyed Brachi the moment she abandoned everyone; every instance of his travels with the Breakers twirl around his head at once. And it all came to a single conclusion: bonds weakened him tremendously. To the others, all they see is just his indifferent stare. But to Bernkastel only, thanks to the strange woman’s influence, Spina’s true face was riddled with absolute seething rage. Bernkastel can see the anger festering to the point that It was exhausting how one held this much hate.

The strange woman’s succulent lips curled into a smile to give out a dire warning. “Bernkastel, Witch of Miracles. Disasters follows once he crossed that line. The negative reactions towards bonds had been agitated by an Overseer, but he’s not truly lost yet. He’s still in a position to be swayed, but only you can quell his unfathomable rage. Go. You won’t have any time left to dwell on it.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom