The Reality Vortex: Red Reputations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruins of Reflection City

Spina sharpened his glare, anticipating Bernkastel’s answer. They seldom spoke to each other in such manner, hence the social awkwardness between the two. Even though Zenta and Gogeta were present, it felt like Spina and Bernkastel were standing alone, exchanging brief sentiments to each other.

Towering over the Witch, the old Saiyan’s eyebrows shot up at her answer. Someone had declared themselves not just a friend—but as a rival as well. Nobody had ever realistically done so in his lifetime. Sure, there were plenty of foes that was eager to fight him for their own reasons, but not to the point that a rivalry was born out of it. It was an unpleasant feeling because the old Saiyan didn’t know how to react at first. After letting the thoughts simmer on for a bit, Spina responded by crouching down to her level and gently pressed his forehead against hers.

“Hmph. Fine.” Spina said after a moment. “Let’s break past our limits together, whether in battle or moments like this.” Giving off a rare, genuine smile. His left arm went limp, slipping out of Bernkastel’s hand after she loosen her grip on it. “I’ll be waiting for our battle someday.” The seething hatred was no longer present on Spina’s face, and the intense aura that weigh down Bernkastel ceased. There was still uneasiness with Spina regarding the others; primarily Brachi, Bara, Jize, Vegetto and the lesser extent, Gogeta. Not out of fear, but the sole lack of empathy towards them due to their roles thus far. That aside, Spina nodded. “Let’s see if that Nia person had any critical information we need.”

The strange monster was taken aback from Spina’s switch. Again, he looked around until he spotted the strange woman near Bernkastel; the latter revealing herself to the monster only, aside from Bernkastel. “Guardian… so, it was you. I thought you have no interest in this game. Don’t you have a tree to look after?”

“It passes the time, Brutality. Even I like a change of scenery.” Guardian responded. “And I do seldomly enjoy watching you be bested by me.”

Brutality, annoyed at her interference, gave a retort with arrogance. “For now, Guardian. It’ll soon swing to my favor now that she formed a powerful bond with this lonesome being. This is nothing more than a simple obstacle in the road; he’ll fall relatively soon enough,” Brutality let out a wicked sneer as he vanished, leaving with these parting words. “And that, my friend, is where you’ll be bested and a Behemoth will be born.”

Guardian simply bowed once Brutality disappears. Turning her head slightly towards Bernkastel and Spina, the latter not aware of her presence, se gave out a simple wave towards her. Her part broke apart like tiny particles until disappearing completely, but she did leave a few parting words. “Pleasure to meet you, Witch of Miracles. We’ll be seeing each other a lot soon...”

"I doubt that there was any major fighting," Nia said to Berserk, watching Lilith eat the sphere she made. "More like struggling from any victims. It is hard to tell entirely since I was not present. It is more likely a territorial declaration, if anything." Nia turned to Spawn, circling him and poking his head. "The King is rather arrogant in some aspects, so he would like to show a piece of his power to someone who demanded it, such as the Veh-Gee-Toe. As for what they could be looking for... more victims if I had to guess."

Avalon sighed at the sight of the city. He wasn't a big fan of Vegetto and his attitude, but he would never wish this for his city. He scoffed upon hearing Lucifer's slick remark and stuck out his tongue.

"Well, it was supposed to be hidden, how'ja think the Xy'phers found this place? Any ideas Nia?"

"I am not too sure. Perhaps the consumed Xy'pher within the legless-lizard [Lilith] will explain more." Nia circled Lucifer and Lilith, curious about how the snake could eat the Xy'pher.

"Well, can you tell us what your battle with the Red King was like? Any weaknesses? We could use some pointers..."

"Ah, yes! The King does not blink. Not once!" Nia said as she continued to circle Lucifer before moving over to Berserk, gently tugging on her ribbon out of curiosity. "Every time the King kept his sight on me, I was struggling against his psychic powers, and every time I attacked, his barriers were simply too powerful to break."

"So how did you beat him?"

Nia seemed to struggle to put the right words in her mouth. Her head moved back and forth, as if trying to use something as an example.

"The King is extremely fragile once you get past his barrier. It is incredibly difficult, however," Nia then floated towards Vegetto and struggled to lift his massive muscular arm with her feeble arms. She tapped at his bicep. "A muscular human, such as the Pineapple-haired man, will be useful to inflict physical damage on the King." Nia then released Vegetto's arm and floated upside-down next to him. "But it will not be as easy as it seems. The King is dangerous in both close and long range."

"So all it takes is one good swing and he's done, eh?" Avalon nudged Berserk, remembering her incredible strength. "If that's the case, the Red King sounds more feeble than the Elites we ran into. We got a ton of hard hitters like Berserk, Gogeta, Zenta, and Boss. They can get behind him and whack his lights out."

"I'm afraid it is not so easy, Purple-Elf-Creature. The King is fragile, yes, but he is no fool. He is aware of his weakness and getting close to him is actually more dangerous than fighting him at a distance. He will use his barrier to defend himself. If you happen to get caught in between, you will be ripped to shreds or compressed into the size of an atom in less than a nanosecond. Your death would be instantaneous."

Avalon's cocky smile instantly turned sheepish as Nia explained how dangerous and risky it would be to send the heavy hitters of the group. He lowered her head and tried to hide behind his shoulders. He could only imagine what Lucifer and Vegetto might say, but there was still more he could talk about. Before the others had a chance to shoot down his arrogance, he quickly changed the subject.

"Errm, well, we should at least wait for the rest to come back. I'm sure they would wanna see Nia interrogate that Xy'pher Lilith captured. Besides, we should relay this information back to them."

"I agree. I believe this Xy'pher will tell us more as to what happened here." Nia floated back to Lucifer and Lilith, childishly floating around them. "Go on! Please regurgitate the Xy'pher in question, Handsome-Winged Man and Legless-Lizard, I am sure the others have questions to ask this Xy'pher."

Zenta quietly listened to Bernkastel and Spina's conversation, almost anticipating Spina's crude and brash personality to clash with Bernkastel. However, when he didn't look down on the Witch, his expression was just as surprised as Gogeta's. A smile began to creep on Zenta's face as Spina acknowledged Bernkastel as a friend and a rival. As the two grew closer with each other, the beast nodded and placed a hand on Bernkastel's shoulder as a way to assure her that he agreed with Spina in calling her a friend. He then nudged his chin towards Gogeta, as to tell her that Gogeta would most likely see her as a friend as well. While unable to see the mysterious beings talking to Bernkastel, Zenta petted her head like a father would to a child he was proud of.

"Well then, this did not turn out to be a complete catastrophe after all. We should regroup with the others and see whether or not the Xy'pher should be trusted." Zenta parted to the side in order to give Bernkastel view of her portal followed by his usual humble bow. As he bowed, he leaned closer to Bernkastel to gently whisper in her ear. "I am very happy you found a friendship between Spina and Gogeta... Strive to be the strongest you can be and I will remain by your side, My Lady. I am proud of you, as would Cuki."

Rogue City

Detective Spawn was slightly annoyed when Nia invaded his personal space. Despite only meeting her once, he was already tired of her speech patterns. “It’s Vegetto and the others have names as well, ask for them, don’t make up names. It’s extremely annoying.” He corrected her to say his name properly. “And if that’s the case, then message received.” He said, referring to the disastrous appearance of the city. He turned his head slightly, still waiting for the others to come through the portal. “What’s taking them so long?” He whispered.

After Nia and Avalon conversed with one another regarding Red King’s power, Lucifer once again chimed in. “Psionics is one of the more problematic abilities; considering he was able to control a Xy’pher’s head from a vast distance, his range is quite impressive in that regard. Might posed a problem for those with weak minds, however.” Lucifer primarily focused on Avalon and Vegetto upon saying it. “Maybe we should leave those behind so they won’t be a liability?”

“But yes,” Lucifer crouched down to Lilith’s level, giving her a nod. “You may bring out the prisoner. Let’s see if Nia is trustworthy or not.”

Lilith’s eyes narrowed and shined brightly. A pulse of energy burst out from her body, leaving a slight chill for those around her. She leaned her head back before coughing out a rather large Xy’pher out from her mouth. It landed near Vegetto, Cayde and Clark. It wasn’t covered in slime, residues of darkness were notable on its body; within Lilith’s body, exist a world of pure darkness that rips disassemble and reassemble repeatedly until you are forced out.

“Whoa, what kind of snake is that?” Clark asked, "It's giving me the creeps!"

Majin Bara entered the portal soon after the others had done so, having made sure Brachi and Jize were making a swift recovery within her, remaining silent as she did overhear the others talking. She felt that they had a lot of ideas in working out this mess, with Nia now on their side. It was as if she was paying attention to what was being said and was relaying this mentally to her friends to keep them up to date with everything so far. She watched as Lilith brought out the snake, her expression remaining stern.

As Lilith spat up the captured Xy'pher, the prisoner shivered as if having seen some wild things. It curled up slightly with the unknown dark residues all over its body. Avalon watched silently as the Xy'pher was trying to cope with the new surroundings, but slowly got closer to the crystal being. He watched Spawn talk to the others and Nia explain a few more things, and thanks to the distraction they made, he stood before the quivering Xy'pher. He made quick glances to the side as he swiftly and sneakily swiped up a glob of the mysterious 'dark matter' on the Xy'pher. Taking a step back, he opened a part of his scroll and smeared the black goo on the paper before sealing it shut.

I should study this later...

"I apologize Flowing-Cape-Man [Spawn], but I would better address people if I had known their names sooner. ...But I do not." Nia paused briefly upon hearing Spawn mention Vegetto's name. Her eyes widen as she looked over to the Breakers, unable to identify which was Vegetto. "Ah! You have the Veh-Gee-Toe in this group? Isn't he the cause of your suffering?"

"Yes." Avalon said without skipping a beat. He walked back towards Berserk's side before glancing at Vegetto. His eyes showed regret and stubbornness. "But... he's useful in troubling times too."

"The troubling times would be null if he never tried to make the King excited." Nia sighed before turning to Vegetto and examined him. She seemed a little upset that he would cause so much trouble for not just the Breakers, but for her as well. With the increase of Xy'phers, she is more likely she is to be captured and executed by her own people. "You are quite a handful, aren't you? Shame on you for jumpstarting the apocalyptic takeover. There is a term the humans use to describe people like you: A dumbass."

Before Nia could insult Vegetto anymore, she was tackled to the ground by the captured Xy'pher. Both were heard screeching and yelling and tumbling around on the floor. The captured Xy'pher was trying to impale Nia with its arm but it was stopped in place by Nia's psychic powers moments before it stabbed her core. The captive was completely frozen in place, screaming and cursing in an unknown language, as Nia pushed herself off the ground. She returned a hiss towards her brethren. Both of the Xy'phers spoke back and forth, occasionally saying words that were understandable. The captive raised its voice, and whatever it said, struck a nerve in Nia.

Nia floated closer to the Xy'pher, her psychic grip tightening. "I am still your superior, peasant. Don't be foolish and look around you. You are surrounded."

Upon realizing his situation, the Xy'pher spat something in its own language, followed by a hiss and a glare towards the Breakers. A small mumble escaped the Xy'pher, as if submitting itself to the group.

"He has agreed to answer questions truthfully," Nia said as she began to speak in her language to the Xy'pher and point at the ruined city around her. At first, the Xy'pher refused to speak, but Nia stared at her brethren, her psychic powers cracking its arm. It started to speak and cry for mercy. However, somewhere in that jumbled language of theirs, Nia nodded her head and turned to the Breakers and pointed around at the city ruins. "This was supposed to be a hidden city, according to the prisoner. He mentioned a mass wave of people leaving this city to seek refuge in another place. The Xy'phers overwhelmed the mass of people and picked them off one by one. Little by little, they were able to find the location of the city by forcing it out of the survivors before they were killed. Apparently they wanted to find this location because it's where the Breakers were hiding. They destroyed the place, assuming that the Breakers were here."

"That explains how they found the place..." Avalon groaned, rubbing his temple, remembering why the people left in the first place. "Did we just... add to their army?"

"Yes, very much so. Veh-Gee-Toe drove them out, according to the Xy'pher. I'm not surprised" Nia sighed. "But that's just one question that you all had. Is there anything you wish to ask the Xy'pher? I will translate as promised..."

May says "to quote some one that actually dealt with vertex "society" for a long time; "If some thing remotely apocalyptic dos not happen at least once a year then its a peaceful time for wherever you are or you were in a very lonely place."" May oddly seems effected by the fact that this is the battle is going be apocalyptic.

May asks "any weakness for the common Xy'phers and or higher level Xy'phers? I trust that preserving strength is going be needed and I rather not die to numbers."

07 just stands there.

Touching foreheads with Spina, a sense of relief washed over Bernkastel even moreso seeing such a genuine smile on his face. "Right," she said softly with a slight nod, "Until that day draws near, let's do our best." Allowing him to pull away and head for the portal, the Witch redirected her attention towards the creature seemingly hovering around Spina with furrowed eyebrows.

Listening in on the conversation between the two mirage-like beings, she blinked hard a few times. Brutality... and Guardian? Are those their names or something? she also noticed Spina seemed to not pay any heed to the creature calling itself Brutality. Bernkastel felt a bit unsettled by this and began to wonder if Avalon was right about her seeing things; normal people don't start to see figments of their imagination talking to each other, do they?

Then again, normal people shouldn't have figments of their imagination past a certain age. Whether or not they were true hallucinations, Bernkastel reminded herself not to bring it up lest she be mistaken for a lunatic. I didn't think I would have to deal with 'invisible friends' again after I escaped that hellish world so long ago...

Briefly pondering what they meant by a tree and Behemoths, Bernkastel simply stared back at Guardian with a puzzled yet concerned expression as she took her leave. Lambda had warned me before about delusions being a side effect of *that*, but after so many centuries?... it's okay, I just have to pretend I don't see them. Not much longer did she think such dark thoughts when she felt Zenta put a supportive hand on her shoulder, turning as he moved to pat her on the head.

Glancing at him at Gogeta, Bern's troubled thoughts receded for the time being as she gave a soft, awkward chuckle. She wasn't quite used to this level of vulnerability and it showed in her shy smile. "You think so...? R-right then, we ought to be heading back to the others. There's still the Xy'pher problem we have to get to the bottom of," Bern said before heading through the portal herself.

=====

"Sheesh, these things really are just about everywhere..." Berserk sighed in response to the explanation about the city takeover. "Sure took them long enough to find the place. We got lucky they didn't find it any earlier. But if we're being honest, shit already looked pretty apocalyptic before Veg' came into the picture. They're just not bothering to hide it this time around."

Watching Nia handle the Xy'pher, Berserk kept a keen eye on their movements waiting to see any indication that this was some sort of set up. So far, it seemed not to be the case, though Nia's remark about retaining superiority over the other one was noted considering she technically defected from the legion of Xy'phers.

"To add onto May's question, I wanna know how we can get around those Berserker Elites like Eleki. Detective Goku didn't seem to be turned into one with any Dark Energy like those black crystals we were warned about. Some numbers on that would be nice, if you can make it fork that over."

Ruins of Reflection City

At Zenta's gesture towards the fusion, Gogeta grinned widely at the display and promptly threw up his right arm; a proud thumbs up gesture with his hand towards Bernkastel.

"Yeah! It'll be just like old times; I'll show you how to punch him really good!"

He dropped his arm, proudly placing his hands on his hips.

"We'll make you the strongest fighter yet!"

Ruins of Rogue City

Vegetto's firm glare remained fixated on Lucifer once again; the taunting paramount above all else. Clark's reassurance managed to slightly break through, the words piercing through a fog deep within the Potara fusion's mind as he continued to remain silent through the exchange. The annihilation of his town began to sink in slowly, and despite having no feelings towards the people who lived in his city, his mind wandered onto them as Nia began to explain how exactly the Xy'phers found the city and slowly piecing it together in his mind that the only way Rogue City could be discovered, is if the Xy'phers attacked the former Rogue City inhabitants.

Another personal failure, where at first, the wounding of his ego was all he could feel. He had failed to uphold his promise to protect the people who needed him, the shame only internal towards his own responsibility. Yet slowly, the frustrated and angry expression softened as his mind wandered on the subjugation of the innocent people. The imagination wandered on the thought of how those people must've felt; having to leave behind their only home in fear of the hero that was supposed to protect them. The insults and even the small scuffle of the two Xy'phers did little to jar Vegetto from his internal retreat, his eyes wandering down as he lifted his gloved hands.

Vegetto's expression dropped slightly, the shame breaking through the first time on his face at the acceptance that it was all his fault. His mind continued to wander, imagining the pain and horror of the Xy'pher attack on the civilians, and the feeling of helplessness they must've endured for simply knowing him. He clenched his white gloved hands into fists, his eyes narrowing sharply into an intense glare. Stepping forward, Vegetto brushed past Clark and Cayde as he closed the gap to Nia and the captured Xy'pher. The pupils dilated ever so slightly, but unlike his usual tantrums and outbursts of frustration, Vegetto stared down at the captured Xy'pher with a determined, focused glare. The black energy that radiated around the man from before was no where to be seen, but the pressure that resonated from the man was all too clear to even those who could not sense ki.

His white gloved hand shot down, seizing the Xy'pher by the throat and slowly hoisting it off the ground. An invisible energy coated his gloved hand and wrist; the black energy unseen but the pressure it brought coating his hand as a barrier of some sort. Vegetto's eyes stared down the Xy'pher with a concentration and focus similar to his heightened state of Ultra Instinct. Only instead, the hatred prevalent in his stare threatened a very different outcome.

His dual voice dripped with venom; his words concise and pointed in delivery in the commanding tone that followed.

"I failed because I wanted to be the hero to everyone...to the Breakers...but it's clear now that I'll never be one. So if I can't save everyone, then the only other choice is to avenge them."

Vegetto's grip on the Xy'pher's neck tightened, his glare sharpening a bit.

"I want this thing to tell me exactly how they killed those innocent people. I want to know every grueling detail...so when I break this thing down into nothing and when we find your King...he'll know the terror they felt."

The sharpened glare trained on the creature was unmoving and did not waver, as if the man was regarding the creature as the King itself.

"Doctor Doom...his daughter...and now your King have taught me that I am no hero."

Vegetto's determined stare remained as his aura flourished once more, the black energy strong in encircling his body.

"I am Vegetto, and if I am not a hero, then that makes me the villain! And when I'm done with you and your king, you will know the horror they felt!"

Bage blushed slightly in embarrassment as detective Spawn actually refered to him as 'Boss'. His shocked face soon turned to a toothy grin as he chuckled with excitement. That was going to take some getting use to. Though his playful demeanor had soon vanished as he saw the city in complete and utter ruins. As Nia spoke, It hurt his heart to be reminded that the innocent people of the city had gone to fend for themselves and picked off like a herd of unsupervised cattle. He realized how he started to think less about rescuing the bystanders now that they could be a Xy'pher anywhere hiding in plain sight.

He pondered to himself, allowing May and Berserk to ask their questions. Just as he was about to chime in, Vegetto had claimed a firm grasp on the Xy'pher's neck ready to shatter it at any moment. Bage grumbled, he couldn't help but be reminded of Gogeta the first time they had met. It was almost nostalgic. Almost.​

They certainly are brothers. The newly made Senior detective noticed his ki swirling in an agitated manner.​

"Vegetto, stop! Put the Xy'pher down!" He quickly stepped forward and shouted toward Vegetto in an attempt to reason with him. One wrong move and the crystal could be in pieces right in front of them. And then they'd be out of luck.​

"I understand you're frustrated, we all want to put an end to this so more people don't get hurt. But destroying one of our only sources of information won't make you feel any better! everything isn't as black and white as heroes and villains! Those with the title are born from people! You don't have to be a hero or a villain to avenge the innocent, you can still do that as Vegetto."

Ruins of Reflection City

Spina stood up and nodded once, watching everyone leave for the portal to Rogue City. Being the last one to go through it, the old Saiyan stopped to stared at his left arm. No matter how many times he tried, he could no longer have any feeling in it. As if he was back to being one arm; a dark presence that clouded Spina’s mind had subsided for now. Yet, he was not able to feel his left arm anymore, he managed to gain a new feeling: friendship with someone he considers a truly worthy opponent.

“Hmph…” Spina looked ahead, ready to enter the portal at last.

Ruins of Rogue City

As suspected, the Xy’pher considered Nia as a traitor and took the chance to attack her. Her trustworthiness is solidified even further due to the Xy’pher’s lack of awareness of his surroundings; clearly outnumbered and the prized Breakers in its vicinity, but still chose to attack as if it was instinctively designed to do. “We don’t need to waste time on doing tests,” Lucifer said with arrogance, “This, alone, adds weight to Nia’s credibility.”

Of course, it would be reasonable for one to suspect that it was all nothing more than a simple ploy to fool them and ask for more evidence. But to Lucifer, beaming with confidence, accepted this exchange between the two Xy’phers as more than enough.

The angel was prepared, already deciding on a single question to ask, but before he could, several things caught his attention and surprised. The information that the people that left Rogue City not only perished but was added to the Red King’s army; his rather dark joke became a reality. But rather than dwell on it or continue his usual taunting antics, he was far more interested in Vegetto’s reaction. So far, in the eyes of the angel, the fusion created several fronts: one of them being that people are just mere props to feed into the ego, pride, and self-importance; a common trait for those who attained godhood.

His attention drawn to Vegetto, the latter declaring himself as unfit for the title of hero ship. Whether or not it his claim is genuine is beside the point; it was the first, to Lucifer, to see someone like Vegetto admitting to something. Almost near impossible task for someone with “deity-like” energy. Deity in more of a titular sense, not through raw power.

“It’s Spawn, and you can ask.” Detective expressed annoyance of Nia’s particular way of addressing people. Moreover, Spawn remained quiet after Vegetto made a brief mention of Doctor Doom’s daughter. “My question is similar to May and Berserk regarding the Elites. They have Dark Energy and pose a massive threat to us. Would like to find out the exact numbers of them.” He turned to see Bage talking steps to ensure his newly position seriously. “I’d agreed with the boss,” Spawn smirked.

Clark was certainly hit the hardest by these revelations. He enjoyed the people that lived in the city, and genuinely thought it was a good therapy for the fusion. They weren’t meant to replace his wife; but instead, give Vegetto a sense of purpose and reason to continued on. And perhaps, Clark thought, created an opening for Vegetto to converse with the Breakers from the practice from socializing with these fine folks. To hear that they were driven away because of Vegetto’s antics is one thing; it’ll take time for Vegetto to break out of it, and Clark didn’t expect immediate results. But the fact that people died because of it left the man feeling two things. One, his apparent failure for not being there when it happened. And two, Vegetto might take it the wrong way and pummel himself further down the rabbit hole. Being a hero was more than just recognition, Clark thought to himself.

Upon Bage trying to reason with Vegetto to put the Xy’pher down, Clark’s concerns lessened slightly. Normally, Vegetto would’ve freaked at the slightest of disrespect and have another Super Deleto moment. Yet, the fusion, although extremely roughly, trying to avenge the fallen people and clearly took issue with the Red King killing them. It was a start, at least. Perhaps being around the Breakers did something at least. It’s hard to imagine what Cayde had to do prior to this.

“Hey, listen to the Detective, Vegetto.” Clark said, can’t recalled Bage’s name at the moment, since technically, this is their first meeting. “What they did was horrific, but we shouldn’t pass this opportunity like this. Let’s get all the information and used that as our advantage. Instead of… that, let’s ask Nia something useful, buddy. Besides, can’t be an avenger if we can’t find’em!” Clark patted Vegetto on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom