The Arcane Apothecary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okawa returned to the back to start working.

"Your total is four Galleons and 3 sickles, sir." Lilith spoke as she rung up the man. 

"Doesn't help that I have met a demon that looks similar to you. But she's rather small compared to you. And much more aggressive..." Olivia said. "Pure energy? What's that?" Her curiosity peaked.

The man reached for his pockets and pulled out his wallet, to give Lilith the amount to pay for the item. “Here you go and thank you for giving me great service. I shall bring recommendation of this place to my friends and family back at home.” He’d praised. He turns to Olivia and smiled of the young girl curiosity.

“Ah! You seems to be curious of the concept of Pure Energy, miss.” The man said. “I can offer my knowledge to bestow on you. Pure Energy... as you can say, is rather the highest form of power one can achieved. Do you know what “Neutral Energy” is, my dear?” He asked.

"Mm, I guess I don't... just a guess that it wouldn't be pure energy or whatever energy dark magic stuff is....?" Olivia pursed her lips in thought. "You got me there."

Lilith bowed her head gratefully before starting to sort through her booklet of sales.

The mysterious man nodded in excitement. He seems to be eager to inform someone about the concept of energies. He took a deep breath before exhaling. 

“Energies—in simple terms, is our life force. Without it, we all die. Humans, Demons, Deimos, planets, stars and the very concept of the universe we know it—are all formed by energies. They are the foundation of life, the roadmap of how to construct our abilities and the source of our power when one is able to tap it within themselves. However, there are several kind of energies that separate us. For example, you and I have completely different energy compared to the lovely demon, Lilith.” 

The man pointed his finger to the direction of Lilith. “We have Neutral Energy, while she has chaotic energy.” The man paused himself for a moment and turns back to Olivia. “Granted, this is where the confusing part, but bear with me.” The man chuckled.

“You see… all “mortal” life have Neutral Energy. Think of it as the default energy for everything. Even Deimos, whom differs from Demons have Neutral Energy, due to the exposure of integrating within the Mortal Realm for so long. Pure Demons; however, have chaotic energy—which they are born from. They hold destructive powers used to destroy anything in sight. Unlike Neutral Energy, which does not influence our behavior—chaotic energy are more in correlations to become destructive beings. Then you have Pure Energy, which is the energy belong only for god-like beings. They are considered universally good—as it means the expulsion of darkness within their hearts to truly become pure. Because of this, no mortal will ever obtained that. Well, except for one person I know.”

"Someone's managed to end up pure? No way... then that means..." Olivia trailed off before looking back up at the man. "Does that mean it's possible for someone to be totally consumed by chaotic energy too? Who's managed to be pure?"

"Unfortunately, chaotic energy is rather easy to obtain nowadays.” 

The man let out a sigh. “Ever since the war we have eons ago, the chaotic energy—originally only meant for the “Demons” and them alone, have find their way into the hearts of mortal. Darkness in one’s heart is a sure way to path of gaining chaotic energy one day. However, the most common cause is being forced with it… that damn disease that ravish our continent. Those who are over-radiated with chaotic energy, will become monsters.” The man looked up towards Olivia. “Pure Energy; however, the one person I know that has it, is the King of Shina Ania.”

"Shina Ania... that's one of the continents overseas, right?" Olivia pursed her lips in thought. "I guess that's why I hardly hear a word of that region. How come the King  can't just use his energy to fix that kind of disease? There has to be some kind of cure for it, right?"

“Yes, that’s the one. We usually keep our affairs to ourselves.” The man said. 

“I wished it was that simple, but the King is unable to purity the chaotic energy caused by the disease—it is referred as the “Devil’s Genes” for some folks...” The man paused for a moment.

“The only remedy to pause the disease” He continued. “Is for mortals to form a pact with a monster. In exchange of something valuable to them, they will be able to join their souls with that of a monster—which prevent the chaotic energy brought forth by the disease from spreading and taking control—and they gained enormous strength.”

"Man... I wouldn't know what I'd give up... I'm glad I probably won't end up having to choose. Makes sense that those high-tech cities back in Empire State haven't been venturing over there or anything." Olivia fiddled with the key on her necklace. "So Pacts are way different from Contracts too..." she mumbled. 

"Contracts with demons don't cost you something other than your life if you decide to sign it away. We don't share power with a human without some kind of additional ritual, I'm sure," Lilith chimed in. "If we shared energy with a human like that, we'd probably be banished from the Underworld."

"Indeed. Demons are forbidden to interact with the world of mortals, especially humans... I believe it was due to some kind of war from eons ago." The man stated. 

"With that said, I'm here to gain more information about the energies for the king. We're having a bit of problem over there, so I need to get much information I could."

Sarah had a song book strapped to her hip as she went to the shop. "I wonder if she remembers me at all." She thought before entering the shop. "Okawa, are you here?" She asked allowed.

"I see... I just travel since there's been a high number of monster encounters that have been concerning people in villages lately... they've been especially hostile with people recently." Olivia said. "But I'd rather not kill them, so my jobs are a bit harder to complete."

"Oh, welcome to the shop." Lilith greeted the little girl. "Madam Okawa's busy in the back but she should be done soon."

"Job? What are you, if I made ask?" The man asked Olivia. He noticed the strange girl that appeared in the shop. "What a strange girl..." 

Lilith gave a slightly perplexed look, but she retreated to the back of the shop anyway. 

"Oh, me? I guess it's more of a self-employed kinda job." Olivia said. "I travel around different regions mostly to explore and stuff, but I usually run across people who deal with a monster on the loose causing trouble. And they fear it gets out of control. I guess you could call it an Investigator kind of job?"

========

"Okawa,  there's a little girl here to see you." Lilith spoke as the witch in question was shaping metal and certain stones together. 

"Ah, Lilith! You know not to mess up my focus like that... Oh well. I'm just about finished anyway. Is it a customer?"

"I guess. Something about a Songbird." Lilith replied.

Okawa gave a confused look but handed the finished equipment to Lilith. "Sounds familiar, if only faintly." Her great power came at the price of a poor memory. "Here, take this back to the girl and take care of her. I'll go and see who came to visit me."

The demon took the armored glove into her arms and gingerly carried it out to the shop desk. "Oh, uh, right."

Okawa peeked her head out from behind a curtain that led to the back of the shop. "You called for me?... ah, you're a little one." She said to Sarah. "I'm sorry, I forget your name. Maybe that will bring my memory back a little. You look familiar to me at least."

The word self-employed ringed his head. How could such a girl at a young age be tackling such a dangerous position? Yet, she doesn’t seems to harbor any sort of fear if she was able to freely travel through different regions on her own.

“Then may I offered you a position to work for our King, temporarily, to deal with a problem?” The man asked.

“We’re currently dealing with a problematic group that seems to be capturing more and more of our people and I was advice to look for capable warriors to hire.” The man turns to Olivia. “I feel a great deal of energy flowing within you… if you’re capable of fighting more than monsters, the King would like for you assistance.”

"I've not fought other people nearly as much as I have dealing with monsters..." Olivia murmured. "But your King needs help, I'd gladly lend a hand. It gets intimidating being on my own sometimes as well."

"I think people can be scarier than any monster." She stated. "Is it safe for me to enter that region? I am an outsider but..."

Lilith took her spot at the counter, laying out Olivia's equipment and examining it. She didn't wish to interrupt out of turn, so she curiously looked at the armored glove as they conversed.

This is certainly unconventional to see around these parts. Where'd she get it? Lilith thought.

"Mm...." Okawa closed her eyes for a moment and opened them again. "Yes, I remember now. You were the little one with the songbook. It seems it's been so long since we last met. How are you these days?" She asked the little girl.

Sarah said "I've been good, trying to get the whole gang back together, but can't find anyone else. You're actually the first ive found. I can't even find the panther goddess anymore."

LoopyPanda said:
"I've not fought other people nearly as much as I have dealing with monsters..." Olivia murmured. "But your King needs help, I'd gladly lend a hand. It gets intimidating being on my own sometimes as well."

"I think people can be scarier than any monster." She stated. "Is it safe for me to enter that region? I am an outsider but..."

Lilith took her spot at the counter, laying out Olivia's equipment and examining it. She didn't wish to interrupt out of turn, so she curiously looked at the armored glove as they conversed.

This is certainly unconventional to see around these parts. Where'd she get it? Lilith thought.

The man knew what Olivia was speaking of. Can an outsider really entered a region plagued by an disease? The man looked straight into her eyes. "That, I can confirmed with confidence that you will face no issues upon entering. Being an employee under the King will grant you limitless of protection, from the common folk and the terrible disease." The man stated. "And I can ensure you, the majority of people and monsters will pose no threat towards you."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom