The Arcane Apothecary
Welcome to the Arcane Apothecary, a local magic shop located adjacent to the outskirts of Magician Square. It is owned by a mage named Okawa, formerly a ranked wizard of the two most renowned Magic Societies in Paradice. This enigmatic woman has put her skillset to great use in bringing Paradicans a modern twist on tradition; although the store’s front looks deceptively like a candy store, one can clearly see the vast arrays of books and oddities lining the shelves further inside. Being one of the few legitimate stores in the area that provides a wide variety of magical services at a price that a bit more expensive than the shady 'deals' one may find at the Square, you have guaranteed satisfaction! The storefront has a wide collection of items to pick from off the shelves and buy upfront, while the 'working' half of the store is tucked away behind a wall of bookshelves to allow for more complex activities such as potion-brewing or item enchantment as a private space for Okawa and her assistants to craft more shop items. Customers cannot access this closed-off area.
Even though she is the owner, Okawa has been known to step out every once in a while on errands or on 'official businesses' that require her services. But worry not, for the store remains open with her trusty shopkeepers: Lilith is a mysterious woman rumored to be an exiled demon that is indebted to Okawa, but she isn't much of a talker because of the treatment she gets by customers who've never seen a demon before. Lilith is trusted with keeping inventory, and brewing potions and other consumables. The other shopkeep who recently started working is named Noelle, a purple humanoid monster girl with fangs, pointed ears, and large bat wings sprouting out of her back. Noelle is the far more social of the two and is seen at the front more often than Lilith because she is more approachable with customers.
Unlike the typical potion, Okawa has taken classic potion brews and converted them into edible candies that are far easier to carry, and tastier too! Modernized techniques thanks to imported technology from Empire State make these a bit more potent than your average potion or elixir; of course, not every recipe has been able to be converted from its potion form so don’t hesitate to approach Okawa for a special concoction upon request.
Lollipop Elixirs: $2 per lolly, $15 for 10 lollies
- Pink Heart - [Health Restore]: Contains a teaspoon of berry-flavored liquid elixir within the core of the heart-shaped lolly. Restores health gradually, healing wounds over time. Recommended for use during rest after or before battle.
- Purple Butterfly - [Mana Restore]: Gradual restoration of magical energy over time of consumption, but immediate chewing will bring instant results. Also tastes like grapes!
- Blue Shark - [Endurance/Stamina]: Shaped like a shark with Sour Raspberry flavor. Chew immediately for a burst of stamina and increased endurance.
- Toy Robot - [Durability]: Increases your ability to withstand attacks to your body (except for status effects). Unfortunately, this one tastes like iron and lime...
- Antidote Lolly - Amber colored and transparent, used to cure a variety of poisonings caused by venom, toxic vapors, and poisonous berries. Tastes like lemon.
Other candied recipes (prices vary):
- Red Gummy Sharks [Speed] - Sour Cherry flavor. Grants the chewer a temporary burst of increased speed and physical strength.
- Hot Cinnabombs [Fire]: Red spherical hard candies that taste like cinnamon and anise. Causes the user to feel almost feverish, but grants them resistance to the cold. Good for traveling cold regions and as a protection against the freezing effects of ice magic along with fire resistance. Also cures chills. Chewing multiple in a row allows for you to breathe actual fire, but only occurs once and leaves you unable to do this again for some time by making your mouth feel numb.
- Currant Lozenges: These dissolve almost instantly and coats your inside with a healing salve, for a near-instant closing of scratches and wounds that aren't too deep. Minty fresh with a hint of berry.
- Blue Mist Cream Soda: It deceptively looks like a fun raspberry-flavored treat to sip on a hot day, but it's actually a Freezing Potion! One can drink this to temporarily have Freezing Breath, which can freeze an enemy in place. Alternatively, hold it in your mouth without swallowing for a more potent freezing liquid for more versatile use. You can also shake the bottle before throwing it for a wicked surprise. Stays frozen out of its bottle for up to 3 hours.
- Super elastic bubble gum: Blows fantastically large bubbles that are difficult to pop and sticks to most any surface. It's mostly sold for the novelty, but has its uses for sticky situations. The possibilities are endless!
- Tool/Weapon enchantments: Okawa can grant a variety of enchantments to a weapon or artifact of your choosing, by boosting its power, efficiency, durability, or other effects. In certain circumstances, Okawa may place a curse on the object if you so desire. Either way, this service tends to cost a pretty penny.
- Potion brews: There are a variety of potions available such as Invisibility, Liquid Light, Liquid Fire/Ice, etc. These are brewed mainly upon request because Okawa only makes potions with a specific effect that cannot yet be achieved with her modified methods.