Prince Edwards' Island

Jax and Sarah came over the hill and took positions next to Deader.
The party followed Ehvery's group back to their home base in the nearby town of Charlottetown.

There they were checked into a fortified town, just about everything was atop the buildings as the undead muttled around the streets.

After handing them over to the civilian handling services, Ehvery and his team left for debriefing.

The desk helper handed each of them a small form asking for a few details on them.

|-------------------Receiving----------------------------------|
| Name:                                                                       |
| Origin territory:                                                          |
| Age:                                                                           |
| Affiliation(s):                                                               |
| Why are you here?:                                                  |
| Were you on the island when this hit?: (y/n)             |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------|

::::::::::

Name: Jax Cerkus
 Origin territory: PEI
 Affiliation(s): none
 Why are you here?: Because? Its not like I can leave.
 Were you on the island when this hit?: (y)

Name: Sarah Naskatsi
 Origin territory: Haven
 Affiliation(s): none
 Why are you here?: Thats a long story...
 Were you on the island when this hit?: (y/n) maybe?

[Fill one out for Deader, or have him fight it if you really want]

Deader looked at the document. "Hmm, guess this wouldn't hurt. My information is already out there through the Heroes Organization website anyways." 

Name: Deader Dead
Origin territory: Gamertown, Empire State
Affiliation(s): Heroes Organization.
Why are you here?: Investigation under orders of the Heroes Organization about the Zombie outbreak.
Were you on the island when this hit?: No.

The receptionist takes the formas and looks them over for a moment before making a confused face.
"Deader Dead, age unknown? I don't see how that is possible, can you clarify please?"

“It’s a long story, really,” Deader made a nervous laugh at the end of his sentence. “I was a hardcore gamer back in the day, playing so many zombie-related games. So much that I was practically a zombie since I was playing non-stop.” He paused for a moment. “No, really, I ended up as a Zombie. Do not know how it happens… but here I am. I cannot recall my age since it been a few hundred years or so. I think.”

The receptionist  warns Deader, "Hmmm... You may want to be more careful with your phrasing around here, the Z word freaks many people out. We can let you in, but we need to do some scans on you for safety purposes if that's alright."
She then focuses on the other two, "If the two of you could please follow these people to your rooms, we only have to ask you a few questions before you may enter proper."
She hands their forms over to a pair of waiting officers. Her focus returns to Deader, "your questions will be asked during the scan to quicken the process."

She presses a few buttons on her intercom before picking up the phone and calling forth a scan crew. Within seconds a pair of men dressed in light blue lab coats enter the room and receive Deaders form. They request he follows. Upon further analysis it is noticeable that their lab coats are padded and they are visibly armed.

“Noted, it will not happen again.” Deader responded to the woman’s plead to lay off the phrase, Zombie. “Anyways, that is quite fine—I won’t be revealing any detailed questioning about my work. You know confidentiality and all that stuff.” Deader’s eyes shifted to right as two armed men entered the area and without question, he followed them.

“It seems that this place has a phone.” Deader mumbled to himself, “And if they do, I wonder if they can allow me to use this once this questioning is done and over with? The Heroes Organization is probably worried that I haven’t made any calls about my whereabouts yet.”

Deader  if brought across some boards into a tent on the roof of a separate building, inside there is a crude bio-scanner and a trained police dog, aqfter being subjected to some scans and a pass by the dog Deader was given a small card and released to cross to the next building's roof. Upon entering this much larger tent Deader was greeted by both Jax and Sarah, who also had received similar cards.

"Glad to see you made it through" Jax remarked to Deader

Around the tent they could see was a decent collection of civilians, the tent rested atop a gas station and had planks leading to each of the neighboring buildings.
A desk with another receptionist sits nearby the party. There are four exits, two from which the party entered from, one labeled as the dormitory, and the last labeled as the cafeteria and kitchen.

“Yeah, it wasn’t all bad.” Deader observed the card he received. “Looks like this area is not affected by the zombie outbreaks… I thought this entire place was nearly void of life… but there is dozens of people here.” He turns to Jax and Sarah. “I supposed that we haven’t eaten anything all day; especially you Jax. We might need some refresher before we can continue.” 

He turns to the receptionist. "Excuse, I have a question..."

[Conversation done in Discord]

The receptionist looks at Deader "Hello, How can I help you?"

Deader nods. "I have a couple of question. I was under the impression that the island is void of all life... how do you guys escape the zombie infection? And You guys have any working phones around here? I need to make a quick call."

The receptionist nods, "Other than most of the civil population no, plenty of gangs have formed and most everyone else is a part of our organization, we have only lost an estimated 38% of the original population of the island to the infection.  And as you know we stay on the roofs of these buildings, which keeps us away from the dead, and if anyone becomes infected up here then we are forced to get them below this base, so long as they do not die they dont teleport back to where they died. The infection itself isn't even all that dangerous, we have found that it is quite easy to purge it from ones system by supporting their immune system, but after a certain point we cannot save the infected. And a phone? Yes, but it only reaches other settlements here, the outside world is not yet available thanks to the gangs taking control of the towers."

"Damn... so much for contacting the Heroes Organization than." Deader rubbed his chin, listening to the explanation the receptionist gave him. "Huh.. I need to add that to my notes. Quite interesting that you manage to find a way to stop it ... at least for a little while." Deader followed up with another question. "There's no source of how this infection occurred in the first place? and the gangs... I assume they have plenty of resources to extort some form of control of their area they are occupying?"

"We are not sure yet, thanks to the gangs most of the territory near the origin region is hostile to us, and everything else has been ransacked by the gangs, we dont know how they managed to get as much power as they did, some theories say they may have been corrupt town governments and others argue the civilians may have overrun the police and took over."

"I see.. so that's where they at..." Deader nodded. "Thanks, I think I got the gist of the information... so the gangs is around the origin region... if I can get over there.." Deader looks at the receptionist. "Two more questions. How far away is this origin center? Oh and can we eat? My party is pretty exhausted for walking around all day long."

"We are roughly around the middle of the island so you should be able to reach it if you travel to the south-west and then to the northwest, it would be around about a days trip, but following the road is dangerous and we cannot spare any boats to cross the bay, there is also a military base that way that may be overrun or captured by the gangs, any number of dangers could be there. The neighboring room over there is the cafeteria, just show them the ticket you got when you entered and you can get some rations.There is  If you would like to help us retaking the long range cell tower then you can join up with our op tomorrow."

"Interesting..." Deader said. "I'll think about it and talk it over with my acquaintances. I'll give you a answer later on. Thanks for the information." He turned around and headed towards Jax and Sarah. "You guys hungry? Let's get something that filled our bellies. After what we went through..." Deader still remembering Sarah's comment on the Heroes Organization. "We can use a breather for now."

He didn't bother waiting for a reply from both of them. Instead, he pushed them towards the cafeteria to get their foods. "Empty stomachs can be one's greatest enemy."

Jax and Sarah crossed the small wooden bridge over to the dining area.

In the dining area there was a sizeable crowd hanging out together talking about the time before the fall. On one side of the tent is a bar with multiple meal items and a cashier. A sign next to the cashier reads: "Three items per person per day". On the far side of the tent is a curtain labeled as the way to the barracks and Sleeping area.

“Well, let’s grabbed something to eat, shall we?” Deader said, heading to the bar and approached the cashier. “Does currency still exist in this place? Assuming the money is worth something here.”

Caught off guard the cashier looked at him odd "Currency? No, and good riddance too, everything is rationed out on the entry card, all you gotta do is swipe it here and get your food, once a month you can get a new set of clothes, and if this keeps up long enough we may even get seasonal stuff"
Jax and Sarah lined up with their cards ready

"So the currency doesn't exist here..." Deader said. "The more I explore this place, the more surprises I come across." Deader pulled out his card, ready for swiping. "Thanks for the info, we're just here for the meals. I'm down for anything, so give me you best selling meals." 

He turns to both Jax and Sarah. "Once we have our filled, we'll get the rest as well."

All three end up with the same meal: mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs and a quarter cup of baked beans.

Jax takes his time to enjoy his food as Sarah scarfs hers down hungrily.

When they finish they take their trays to the depository and chat while they wait for Deader

Deader took quite a while to finished his portion. It wasn't because the food was subpar or anything of the sort, it was his inability to taste anything. The mash potatoes, despite taking in huge chunks, has no distinct taste; the baked beans, although smells good, but when it comes to tasting, it was nothing. "I see... the condition is getting worse..." Deader thought to himself for a moment but shook it off.

As he finished the last bite, he turns to the other two. 

"Alright, looks like we're done here. Let's take a rest before deciding our next move." Deader advise. "If what the receptionist said was true.. if we go to that place control by those gangs... I can find out what's the cause of his outbreak." He stood up and started heading towards the rest area tent.

The party went to the bunk tent, a large tent with roof for floor filled with many beds of all sizes and types, it was free game to use any of them.

Jax found the nearest bed and flopped face down into it, it didnt smell the best nor look it but he was taken by the pleasant comfort simply lying on it afforded. He was out in a minute.

Sarah stood by Deader waiting for him to move first.

“Now it’s a time for rest.” Deader went over the bed and laid down as he smothered his face with a pillow. “We’ll rest for a few hours before heading out.”

Sarah sat down in a meditative position on the bed nearest Deader, it was unclear if she was actually sleeping there or something else.

Jax awoke after only about only a few hours, he then made his way to the secured dock and did some fishing. In the dim light of the early day he sat enjoying the calm brought by the secured dock. He hadn't felt this kind of security in quite a time.

As a few hours passed, Deader woke up and did little bit of stretching. He turned over to Sarah and waved his hand across her face. "Is this girl sleeping... or? Actually... better not bother her." Deader thought to himself. He notice that Jax wasn't in his bed, so he went out to look for him.

As he venture out, the community felt... different from the previous areas they traveled through. "Can't believe that outside of this community, the island had done into shit." Deader said. "I need to finished my mission as quick as possible, so I can sort all this out with the Heroes Organization..." He thought to himself as he made his way to the docks; however, the man wasn't paying attention to where he was walking, and was about to fall into the water.

Back
Top Bottom