DBZ: The Fallen Empire (Chapter 5: Asylum)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vegetto Jr. grunted in annoyance, suddenly whipping his hand away and shooting up out of his seat.

"Damnit Jaz...don't you get it?! We don't have a happy ending like this: we're just fighting for everyone else! People that no matter what you do to help them, they'll just keep asking more and more from you. It's not going to stop: we'll be dead before the end of this war at this rate."

He wildly gestured to the window on the other side of the room.

"You think Arcann cares about us? My father will take care of him and Vaylin...he'll find a way to win like he always does. So why: why do we have to fight?"

Vegetto Jr. dropped his arms.

"I already won the war I needed to fight: you're free and here with me. Let's just get the hell out of here, we can live our lives together in peace. Instead of throwing them away for an ungrateful bunch of pricks."

==========================

HK-47 bowed his head slightly to Solaris, watching him depart before inserting the metal rod into the nearest port. The ship immediately hummed to life, the entire vessel ominously radiating and vibrating across every floor panel.

===========================

Vegetto perked his eyebrows at the sudden jolt from his surroundings, glancing around in confusion. The automatic doors swung open as Gogeta Jr. entered the cockpit, raising an eyebrow at Koth.

"What was that?"

Koth shrugged his shoulders.

"Not sure. The hyperdrive seems to be online again...but I'm not sure what else they fixed down there. Must be the power taking a bit to reboot all of the systems."

He then nodded to the controls, shaking his head.

"Lana already messaged me: you didn't tell me you moved everything off to Odessan. You sure that's a good idea, setting up shop in the middle of nowhere?"

Gogeta Jr. nodded, leaning forward as the ship slowly floated forward, the engine thrusters pushing the ship along much faster than before.

"Yeah...it's risky to be out in the open like that. But Arcann won't find us here, as long as our underworld contacts play their part."

Jaz listened as Junior continued to talk and the more he did, the angrier she got. She balled her hands into fists and, for the first time, she launched a fist directly at Junior's cheek, striking him as hard as she could. She trembled in both anger and sadness. 

"You're the one who doesn't get it, Junior!" Jaz held back her tears. "Suuuuure, let's go live on some peaceful planet, away from this mess! You think your dad is gonna fix everything just because he did it before?! What if your dad can't win against Arcann or Vaylin?! Then what?! When Vaylin sniffs you out, we'll just run away to another planet and another and another! Eventually, we'll have nowhere to run, and you'll be Vaylin's toy while Arcann kills me and everyone off! You'll be all alone again, but this time, Vaylin won't let you die, not when you're her special little toy!"

The girl held herself back from striking Junior again. Her voice got louder than before, her spike in anger made her float so she can reach eye-level with Juinor.

"Those 'pricks' are trying their hardest to protect everyone, even you! They would risk their lives to protect everything! I almost died protecting your ass and everyone else from Vaylin today! If you're not gonna stand up to your problems then give yourself up to Vaylin, I bet she enjoys a man who won't do anything to stop her from killing everyone!"

Jaz lowered herself back to the floor and just walked off, leaving Junior alone in the room to his thoughts. She opened the door and stood outside before turning back to yell at Junior once again.

"You're nothing but a coward, Junior!"

"Jeeeez, I need a break, don't you think?" Kire yawned, rubbing his eye after working diligently on KABS. 

"I suppose a small rest would not halt progress." Helga agreed. "Also, Mioi's weapon is finished. I associated the colors to match her persona. I certainly hope she likes it."

"Alright, hand it over."

Helga's arms went back up the ceiling and came back down moments later with a shiny purple glossed Sniper Rifle. It was lightweight enough for Kire to grab with one arm. The scope was slightly bigger so that Mioi would have no problem seeing through it. On the side of the weapon was Kire's signature 'K' and Mioi's name in cursive on the other side. A page of random cute stickers came down with the gun and Kire rose a brow.

"...It is in case Mioi would like to decorate it," Helga added in. "I assume she would like to add her own touch to it."

Kire rolled his eyes and shrugged. He placed the sniper over his shoulder and stepped out of his lab to find Mioi. When he did, he saw Jaz screaming into the room next door and walking off in a fit of anger. He moved out of Jaz's way, watching her disappear down the hallway, blinking at the sudden outburst. The door to the room was still opened, and he poked his head inside to see Junior. 

Oh man, not again... 

He closed the door behind him and placed the rifle near the corner of the room. Kire crossed his arms and stood near the door, leaning against the wall.

"Sounds like something happened in here."

Xenest and Brachi both heard the commotion, but decided not to get involved into matters that was not of their concern. Xenest on the other hand was pondering, whether he should have his allies know of their status or to remain keeping a low profile...

"I see. So the ki that the Saiyans speak of and the Force are one and the same?" Mioi pondered. "I know that the Jedi abide by a code of discipline and self-control. And selflessness. I know little of the Sith... or perhaps my memory was tampered with from the carbonite. What makes the Sith different from the Jedi that allows them to achieve such a level? Is it how they see the Force?" Mioi turned her head toward the door for a brief moment as she heard more discordant shouting and loud noises that indicated something had escalated. She felt it best not to intervene with the disturbance at the moment, lest she become distracted any further with business that did not concern her directly.

Vegetto Jr.'s head whipped to the side, completely offguard and unprepared for the punch. He staggered a bit, reaching up and rubbing his cheek while he stared back at Jaz, stunned into complete silence during her outburst. Helpless in being unable to respond, Vegetto Jr. soon lowered his head down and sat down on the couch with a heavy slump after she left the room. 

He buried his head into his hands shortly after, letting out a loud, frustrated groan and digging his fingers deeper into his skull. The rage was only momentary, the exhaustion and defeat soon returning to his expression as he let his arms fall down into his lap.

She's just like everyone else after all. All that work...and she didn't even hesitate.

Vegetto Jr.'s head dipped down.

She cares more about others than she ever will about me.

His head remained down, barely moving at the sound of Kire's voice. His solemn stare was locked firmly on the floor, his voice weak.

"Just leave me alone."

Kira opened her eyes and focused on Mioi, keeping the lightsaber floating in mid-air. She glanced in the direction of the noises as well, but chose to ignore them for the time being. She had a padawan to induce into the ways of the Force.

"The Force, Ki, one's a religion and studying of how it connects to the entire universe and all the philosophy associated." She stated. "The other as best as I can gather from Solaris is merely using the same energy that the Force manifests itself in as a way to become stronger. Same energy but different manifestations. As for what makes the Sith stronger, age. Whis, before he disappeared, stated that the Emperors, specifically Valkorian, were born thousands of years ago. Vegetto and Gogeta are on a level close to his, yet no other Sith Lords ever were. Only explanation has to be that." She said before frowning. "Though... Solaris, after the Aslyum fight. I can't sense his energy anymore. And he's been with us for as long as a newborn baby. I guess their strength might be something else."

Kire pondered the thought of leaving Junior or staying to hear him explain what happened. He found himself waking over to the boy and sitting next to him on the sofa, not saying a word until he correctly gathered his thoughts. He gazed out the window, took out a cigarette, and lit his smoke. After a minute of silence, he finally spoke out.

"She doesn't hate you, Junior, if that's what you're thinking," Kire crossed one leg over the other and leaned his body back against the sofa. "but she ain't the brightest bulb in the factory either. If anything, she's the bulb that short-circuits the entire lighting system of the factory..." 

Kire pulled in the fumes of his cigarette and blew opposite to where Junior sat, hoping the smell didn't bother him.

"So, mind telling me what happened in here or do I need to figure it out myself? The last thing you want is for me to make assumptions between you and my girl. Best thing to do is get it out of your system, Junior."

Jaz wondered the hallways of the Gravestone, grumbling to herself and kicking any junk that happened to be in her way. She entered an empty room, not even bothering to close the door behind her by how frustrated she had become. The girl paced back and forth.

"Stupid Gogeta, stupid Junior! I am not gonna sit here while other people get hurt protecting me! No way! I'll train harder than either of them, take down Arcann all by myself, and end this stupid war! That way no one will have to worry about me ever again! I don't need Junior's help to fly, I bet I can do it all by myself! I flew once, how hard can it be?" 

Jaz took a deep breath and tried to remember the little hints Junior told her about flying. She jumped, hopped, skipped, and wall jumped to try to find a way to stay in the air. The longer she tried, the more she failed. Several minutes passed by and Jaz was still stuck on the ground, despite her creative efforts. Enraged and frustrated at her lack of progress, Jaz kicked a box, the gizmos inside falling out and scattering across the floor. She stared at the bits and stopped her rant, finally thinking with her head. She started to realize the gap between her and the others.

"What can I do compared to amazing people like Junior and his dad? Everyone on this ship is already better than me in some way..." Jaz's shoulders slumped and frowned, sitting down in the center of the room with her knees to her chest. "Maybe Gogeta was right... I really am a simple-minded bitch. I'm just a weakling who holds everyone back. What good can I do..? I'll never be as strong as Junior or Veggie..."

Vegetto perked his head up at the sound of muffled shouting, his eyes narrowing a bit at the sensation of Jaz's energy signature flaring up from her momentary rage. He narrowed his eyes slightly, still looking off in the same direction as the others in the cockpit room that all heard the outburst. Gogeta Jr. scoffed lightly, turning back to the console.

"What a joke. Not even one day in and they're already fighting."

Vegetto frowned, his right eyebrow raising.

"What are you talking about? Jaz and Junior are-"

He caught himself mid sentence, glancing down for a minute to collect his thoughts at the realization of the time skip.

"-were...inseparable."

Gogeta Jr. nodded once, his head still facing down.

"Exactly: were. Times have changed, this isn't some fairy tale love story where they can just do whatever they want. The people needs us, just like they need you."

His lips rose slightly into a smile.

"When the universe sees you're alive, Emperor, they'll know-"

"Hey man."

Gogeta Jr. stopped midway into his sentence, glancing over his shoulder at the sound of Koth's amused voice. Gogeta Jr. blinked, noticing Vegetto had completely vanished from sight in the cockpit and quickly turned his eyes to Koth, who gestured towards the door.

"He left halfway into that...you know."

=======================================

Vegetto rounded the nearest corner, following after Jaz down the hallway and soon walking up on the curled up Jaz. He frowned immediately at the sight of her solemn state, opting to stand where he was a few feet behind her with his arms at his side.

"Jaz...what are you doing here?"

========================================

Vegetto Jr.'s eyes slowly narrowed, his frown remaining and his voice falling flat.

"Just shut up. You haven't been able to do anything to me since the day we met, and you never will."

He kept his head down, the strong stare mixed with his frown clearly indicating his tired, yet annoyed attitude towards Kire.

"It's bad enough listening to you talk down to me like you have some control. So you can either get out of my face or I'll throw you out that fucking window myself."

Mioi crossed her arms and nodded silently through Kira's explanation. Looks like the way the Force is manifested and used depends on the person. 

"And Solaris definitely isn't dead, we saw him walking and talking mere minutes ago. Then again, my ability to sense energies is pretty weak so I haven't noticed..." Mioi trailed off before her eye widened with an idea. "Why not let that be our first training session? We have a plethora of lifeforms on this ship to practice sensing energy."

Kire barely flinched when Junior spat his threats and took another puff from his cigarette. He smoked until there was nothing left of his cigarette, flicking it to the side.

"Alright, do it then," Kire said calmly, lazily looking out the window. "After 25 years of being bossed around by friends and family alike and hounded by Vaylin and Arcann, you're worried about what I'm gonna do." 

Kire leaned his head back against the sofa, closing his eyes and sighing, disregarding Junior's threat.

"I'm not here to pick a fight or argue with you, Junior. I heard a lot of yelling between you, Jaz, and that Gogeta kid, so I can only imagine what said in here. I'm not gonna bash you and make you feel any lower than you already do, I just hate seein' you like this and thought I could help you out. I know I'm a jerk, but even I got a heart...somewhere." Kire paused for a moment and stretched his new arms. "But hey, if you think I'm still trying to control you for my 'master plan', then I'm ready to get chucked out the window."

Jaz was startled upon hearing Vegetto's voice, immediately standing up and looking around the room for an excuse. Realizing that no excuses go past Vegetto, she lowered her head in shame. 

"I was trying to teach myself how to fly..." She said in a low voice. "I...I was also training myself to control this Ki energy thing like you do. Y'know, for when I take down Arcann all by myself!"

The girl balled her hands into fists and let out a sigh. She seemed to have a lot going through her mind and looked indecisive about how she should feel.

"I just wanna get strong enough so that I can be able to protect you, Junior, dad, and everyone else! I'm sick and tired of holding you guys back and watch everyone get stronger each day! All I ever do is sit back and do nothing while you guys risk your lives to protect me, a simple-minded bitch!"

Jaz's anger spiked, and she turned to kick a piece of scrap that fell from the box she kicked earlier. Her mind was clouded with many thoughts, and she seemed to have a hard time controlling her bursts. Jaz was shaking with apparent rage as she kept her back to Vegetto; however, her voice cracked when she spoke.

"How am I ever gonna compare to someone like you when I can barely even protect myself..? All I do is mess everything up and make everyone worry. Every time I fight Vaylin I start shaking because..." It was obvious that Jaz's trembling was her holding back the urge to cry. Her voice turned to a whimper with tears rolling down her cheeks and on to the floor. "...I...I... I'm scared that she's going to take Junior away from me and I won't be strong enough to save him..."

Kira got a smile at Mioi’s training idea, obviously glad at her padawan.

“Great idea. Being isolated in this room will serve as enough of a challenge. Though generally the training is supposed to be done blind, closing your eye will be enough.” She stated in excitement. “I can sense Koth, Seyna, Jaz, and Oriko, and you. Oh, and two signatures in Kire’s lab. See if you can’t do the same.” She instructed. “If you struggle with it then I’ll provide guidance.”

- - -

With Kire busy talking to Jr., Solaris stumbled past the lab, trying to find a room with a window in it. Somewhere to look at something, to get his head cleared.

I can’t remember. I can’t remember at all. When did I meet Brachi? Where was it? Was I friend? Was I foe? I know, I know I did something for her. Something... Involving Jack? Or, Atama? Words bleed together. Memories just dark dreams.

Stumbling into an unused room, Solaris ended up tripping on his cape and falling onto the ground.

Vegetto kept his frown, standing silently throughout Jaz's tirade with his eyes trained on her. He waited a few seconds after she finished, exhaling a deep and heavy sigh before crossing his arms on his chest.

"Look Jaz...I'm not going to pretend there isn't a power difference here or that you can easily overcome this burden all on your own. But this...isn't the right way to do it."

He narrowed his eyes slightly.

"You're spending too much time thinking about others and worrying about things you can't control. It's what you fear most: you see that power, you see it continue to grow and it frightens you because you can't do anything to stop it, knowing it's bigger than your own. A part of me used to live that way; always focusing on others and forgetting what it means to actually improve your own capabilities in that desire to be above something outside of your direct control."

Vegetto raised an eyebrow, nodding down to her.

"Think about it: how are you going to learn to fly, if the only things that pushed you to try it right now were Arcann, Vaylin, and me?"

==============================

Vegetto Jr. turned his head down, falling silent for a moment before suddenly speaking up.

"I love her...more than anything in this universe. Someone like you wouldn't understand...thinking she's your property or that you can decide how she feels. But I know she feels the same about me...and there's nothing you can do to end that, no matter how smart you think you are."

His frown deepened a bit, lifting his head back up and turning his intense, solemn stare out to the stars. His lips lifted slightly in a half effort smile, however, stifling a small chuckle.

"Listening to her again brought me back...I'd seen plenty of it in the resistance. It's what gave me courage all those years while she was gone: hearing all the regular nobodies from around the universe, claiming that Arcann's days as Emperor were numbered. Every time I heard a 'we'll take him down!' or 'the war ends soon!', it always reminded me of her. It didn't matter what it was or how ridiculous the challenge: if there were even a hundred Arcanns standing in her way, she'd take them all on and still think she'd win."

His smile dropped a bit.

"And every time we heard that confidence on the comms, we lost that soldier. Challenging the Eternal Throne was possible only because we spent years and years, making logical, strategic choices. Anyone who fool-heartedly challenged even the smallest obstacle without the real capability to do it always ended up dead."

Vegetto Jr. kept the same expression, pausing for a moment before continuing.

"And here I was...playing the hero myself, trying to encourage the men to be like her...like dad as if it what I really stood for and believed. Watching them follow my advice to victory, only to die for nothing in the end. That's when I realized that I wasn't like them or her: I didn't go out and fight whoever stood in my way. I hid in the base, with all this...power...but knew it wasn't enough to defeat Arcann. All those lives lost, fighting against a force they couldn't possibly beat, while I lived because I knew what it took to beat him: a power none of us could possibly muster up."

His frown deepend again.

"And that's when I thought that maybe...she met the same fate as those men. All those years of trying to find her...perhaps they were in vain. Jaz...Father...all of those heroes of old...dying no better than men trying to emulate their beliefs. I denied it initially...but realizing how this war had been going and how close we were to losing by following their example...it just made more sense for them to be dead than alive."

He exhaled deeply afterwards, sitting upright a bit and narrowing his eyes.

"So when Gogeta Jr. told me of the assassination plan, I realized this was my chance to make a change for that resistance I never believed in. To show everyone that blind arrogance and courage does nothing to win wars. I was going to sneak onto the planet, challenge him using my father's image, and...die at his hands. Maybe then...I figured...I'd fix the foolish beliefs that has led to this massive failure of a fighting force, and give them the means to fight back with the right ideals: my own. I'd give them a new image...one that maybe, wasn't as uplifting and hopeful, but one that taught them how to win nonetheless. They could have a better chance at winning...and in death...I could finally be with the one I love."

Vegetto Jr. paused, his head turning down.

"Then I met Vaylin...and now...I don't know what to do anymore."

Rubbing his head while laying on the ground, Solaris looked up to see Brachi standing and looking at him with concern. Quickly trying to crawl away on his elbows, his cape caught his arms and he fell onto his back. With a sigh he shook his head.

"No, I'm not okay. I'm laying on the ground of an ancient war vessel having tripped on my own cape." He stated.

Jaz remained silent when listening to Vegetto, thinking deeply about what he said. The look on her face showed a struggle behind her tears.

"I don't want to be scared anymore... I wanna be brave like you and stand up to the bad guys! ...Maybe that's just me thinking like a child." Jaz sniffled. "I don't know how I would learn how to fly. You guys make it look so easy, and that leads me to believe that I can do it too... I thought that if I tried hard enough, I would be able to fly."

More tears continued to roll down her cheeks as she was too ashamed to show her crying face to Vegetto. As quickly as she wiped away her tears, more streamed down her face, revealing her insecurity and fear of the whole situation. 

"But the more I try, and the more I train myself, the more I realize how impossible it is. I'm just not good enough! I'm not meant to fly! I just... I mean--, I can't-- I... And Junior-- It's all Gogeta's fault-- I..." Jaz was caught mixing her words and her thoughts. In her frustration, she kicked another gizmo; this one hit so hard it smashed on to the wall, denting it before the junk shattered to broken pieces. 

"How do you do it Vegetto..? How are you able to protect the people close to you and be so strong at the same time? How I can improve myself to make a difference in what I can do... I just... I don't know what to do anymore."

"Junior, I know the feeling of love and being loved in return," Kire said after Junior finished his speech. "I also know what it's to lose it. But, unlike you, I never got to see Evelyn after 25 years." He shrugged. "Sucks, I know, but it ain't 'bout me."

"I know you probably don't like me after how I treated you, getting too close to Jaz, being her boyfriend, and yadda, yadda... Truth is, I want to make sure Jaz is safe when I'm not around, and I think you're the only one on this ship that gives enough of a damn about Jaz to protect her. I know Jaz is capable of many things, but in case you didn't notice, her mouth thinks before her brain does." 

Kire let out a sigh.

"Jaz doesn't take after me, as you can tell... She's got lots of spirit, determination, and best of all, a powerful will. However, she seems to have a problem with her emotions. I think they tend to get the best of her sometimes and, despite all that courage she has, she can make some pretty dumb decisions... You mentioned that you got a lot of courage by remembering her voice and you managed to influence an entire resistance to stand up and fight for what they believe in. That's not something anyone can do, especially by themselves. You got more power than you think, Junior. With all those flaws you two got, no wonder you guys are absolutely perfect for each other."

He sat upright, taking a moment to pause and look at the stars. A smile formed on his face.

"Jaz is a cocky little loudmouth who doesn't think about the consequences of her actions. Her emotions can sometimes speak for her rather than her brain, and that often makes her say things she seriously regrets. She overthinks like a child sometimes... but whenever she's around you, I see her grow. She thinks more carefully and her actions on more responsible. Her emotions are contained as well as her childish tantrums. Around you Junior, Jaz matures and gets even stronger. She seems to learn so much from being around you; I think that's why she tries so hard to impress you sometimes."

"You, on the other hand, are level headed, and you think before you act. You're not a power-hungry bonehead who jumps into battle any second you get, and you don't let the thought of revenge get to you because you have a proper check on your emotions; yet, you give up and fall into a depression so easily that you never get a chance shine. I think Jaz's confidence and strong will gave you the push you need; as you said, you heard her voice, and you got the courage to stand up to Arcann's army and influence people to join you. You may be a shy and awkward kid, but around Jaz, you're the man you dream of being: A man full of potential and a real leader."

Kire chuckled to himself until he held out his hand. The center of his palm began to glow, and a life-sized hologram of Arcann appeared before the two, eyeing them down. Soldiers, guards, droids, and other Elite warriors appear behind him, all ready to strike at Arcann's command.

"And honestly, I think that's why Arcann is terrified of you... Sure, he's an army behind his back, weapons of mass destruction, and fear over the masses, but..."

The Holo-Arcann pointed directly at the two men, sending a wave of soldiers rushing in their direction. Kire snapped his fingers, the images of the army vanishing from sight. Arcann's eye narrowed with anger as he pulled out his saber, igniting it and dash at the two.

"Take away his army..." 

Another snap was heard, and the weapon disappeared from sight, Arcann's anger now turning to apparent confusion before the two as he slowly backed away from them. 

"Take away his weapons..."

Without warning, the same soldiers that attacked the duo now surrounded Arcann, guns aimed at the Zakuul leader.

"Take away the fear he holds over his people..."

The army fired at their leader, but Kire closed his palm, ending the hologram moments before Arcann's extermination.

"And he's nothing more than just a man. Now, I ain't saying he's an easier target, but when you strip all the power from a war leader, they begin to show fear; I know this because I've done it before, many times, and the result is always the same. As a war veteran, lemmie give you some advice. Instead of going after Arcann and his army, why not go after something he protects, or better yet, fears? I'unno... something, or someone like Vaylin."

He raised an eyebrow, nodding down to him.

"Think about it: How scared would Arcann be if you had more influence over Vaylin than he does?"

Mioi nodded, and fidgeted until she felt she was in a good position to try sensing the energy without feeling any stiffness in her body. "I see you... now, I will try the lab first..." closing her eye, she tried to search for the energy in the void of her sensory deprivation. Two signatures... not unique enough to belong to anybody on the ship. Those must be the suits. She thought, before attempting to move on and find a more defined signature. 

"Hmm..." Her brow furrowed.  "I think I found one more out by the hall where it got noisy... a few more farther away... but those are harder to pick up because of the distance."

Vegetto's eyes followed the smashing gizmo shattering across the way, lightly lifting his left hand up and catching a couple of pieces flinging towards his chest. Tossing them aside, he stepped forward and knelt down in front of Jaz on one knee. His gloved hands reached out, gripping onto Jaz's shoulders while he stared into her eyes with an intense, stern stare.

"The first thing I do, is make sure I don't let the comparisons to my enemies and allies drive my reasoning. You can't possibly improve your own strength if you keep letting what everyone else is doing weigh you down."

He nodded to her.

"There's no shame in recognizing your flaws and weaknesses, but you can't keep dwelling on them by thinking about everyone else around you. Start with it: you can't fly, and you lack the raw power to face your enemy."

Vegetto raised an eyebrow.

"So, you know the problem: you need to figure out how to fly and how to get stronger. Stop thinking about your enemy and how much stronger they are: there's no point in wasting energy on it. All you can do now is see the limits you have to overcome, and figure out how to move past them. Which you don't know how to fly, but you have friends and family that can do it easily."

He lightly shrugged his shoulders.

"So why not just ask us to teach you?"

================================

Vegetto Jr. lifted his head, staring back at Kire throughout his advice and slowly starting to form a smile at his encouragement of their chemistry. His expression slowly started to lighten up, but at the mention of Kire's final plan to dismantle Arcann's power base, his heart instantly dropped and his heavy frown returned. He turned his head down, inhaling deeply before continuing.

"There was a time...where I did."

He exhaled deeply, shaking his head.

"It was something I didn't see coming: we thought Arcann was only a twin. So when I arrived on world and challenged him to open combat, I had no idea what to do when she showed up."

==========
One year ago, Zakuul.

Having stood alone on the terrace, Vegetto Jr's narrowed and stern eyes glared up at the massive spire hanging over the capital city of the planet. His eyebrows perked a bit, noticing a sudden black streak shooting down onto the ground across the way. He blinked a couple of times, raising an eyebrow in confusion at the hooded woman standing before him.

Vaylin quickly straightened herself up from the landing, her eyes looking over Vegetto Jr. intensely while she smirked back at him.

"Huh...so you're the big bad Outlander that has brother shaking in his throne room."

Vegetto Jr. narrowed his eyes, the comment confusing him.

"And who are you supposed to be?"

Vaylin's smirk lifted into a warm smile suddenly, pointing directly at Vegetto Jr with a determined grin.

"I'm Vaylin! And I'm the one who will defeat you!"

Vegetto Jr. frowned at the sight, the air falling silent for a moment as Vaylin held her posture. He furrowed his eyebrows in his discomfort, glancing to the side in annoyance.

"Alright...Vaylin, is it? I'm not sure what is wrong with your head...or if you're really related to Arcann...but my fight isn't with you, it's with him. We have unfinished business: you don't need to get hurt too."

Vaylin frowned, placing her hands on her hips.

"Oh c'mon, just a little spar? He told me you were a Saiyan too; shouldn't that mean you want to fight the strongest out there?"

Vegetto Jr. perked his head up, his thoughts on the phrase "Saiyan too" while Vaylin grinned, gesturing to herself.

"Like me?"

Vegetto Jr. stared back uneasily, his eyebrow raised.

"Wait...hold on. You're...a Saiyan?"

Vaylin nodded curtly, clenching her fists together.

"Mhm! The strongest to ever exist...according to father."

A sudden surge of purple fire erupted underneath Vegetto Jr.'s boots, engulfing him in its ominous glow and prompting Vaylin to widen her eyes in shock. The newly transformed Dread Saiyan stared her down with intense, stern purple eyes while his spiked, purple hair flowed inside the new aura.

"This isn't a game, little girl. I'll give you one last warning: go home. You don't know who you're dealing with he-"

Vegetto Jr. blinked, stopping mid sentence after noticing Vaylin's excited grin.

"Wow! You can do it too!!"

Vegetto Jr. gasped, watching on as the same purple aura exploded up from underneath her boots and Vaylin's hoodie blasted off her head onto her back. Her purple, confident eyes stared down Vegetto Jr. as she reached up, cracking her knuckles.

"Brother wasn't lying...you really are strong! I've never had the chance to fight someone like you...let's make it a good one!"

===================

Present Day

Vegetto Jr. lifted his lips slightly into a smirk, shaking his head.

"She didn't care about anything really: all she wanted was to have fun in a fight with someone she could really cut loose with. It was close, to say the least...but the first time we ever fought, I took her down. She was only as strong as a Dread Saiyan then; my advanced, pure blood gave me the edge to win out."

His smirk faded.

"Gogeta Jr. told me on the comms shortly after that she was part of the hit: Arcann's most trusted enforcer. Only top intelligence officials on either side knew of her: the only others were the unfortunate souls Arcann released her on. But when I looked down at her, I saw that same fire in her eyes as Jaz."

====================

Vaylin winced, clutching onto her side. The purple energy faded away as she propped herself, grimacing a bit. Vegetto Jr. panted heavily, transformed with the fire burning strongly ontop his head instead of his traditional hair, and lowered his hand down from the earpiece he had been listening to a moment ago. Vaylin chuckled lightly, keeping a small smile.

"Damn...you got me pretty good. I can't feel my arms anymore...but we should do this again tomorrow! I messed up, but I'm sure I can beat you!"

Vegetto Jr. frowned, his right arm extended.

"There won't be a tomorrow for you. You and your brother are done putting this universe to the sword."

Vaylin blinked, the intense energy radiating ominous rays of volatile light off her face as she stared up at Vegetto Jr.

"Huh?"

Vegetto Jr.'s glare intensified.

"Still can't figure it out?! You're dying today: your done terrorizing the people of this universe!"

Vaylin frowned in response, blinking.

"So we're not going to fight again?"

Vegetto Jr.'s stern stare faltered a bit at the sight of her sadness, like a child being denied candy at a grocery store more than a woman about to lose her life.

========================

Vegetto Jr. kept his frown.

"In the end, she didn't really care because the most fun she had, as she put it, was fighting me. Dying would stop that...so she begged for me to let her live so we could."

He glanced down.

"I used to tell everyone that I did it for the reasons you said: to turn Vaylin against Arcann, and take control that way. But really...the real reason I spared her...was because I saw that same, determined strong headedness in her as Jaz. And when I gave her what she wanted...things were...nice."

Vegetto Jr. kept his frown, staring down.

"Out of everyone here, she was the one that would move the heavens themselves for whatever I wanted, no matter how selfish or wrong it may be. Rather than demanding me to work for her, she did everything to make me happy in the short time we spent together. I thought..well...with Jaz being gone...I'd found someone just like her. So it got easier...cause whenever I was with Vaylin...I just convinced myself that it was really Jaz."

Jaz sniffled, trying to keep her face hidden so Vegetto wouldn’t have to see her tears, but she listened very carefully to his words. There was a moment where she remained still until slowly gathering her courage to stare at Vegetto right back, tears still prevalent. Her eyes were wide with the realization of something.

“No shame in realizing my flaws, huh? I never thought of it like that. I always thought I was a burden to you guys because I can’t fly or shoot fireballs.” Jaz wiggled her fingers in a comedic way of firing energy blasts. “I guess I was just too proud of myself to really ask for any help. I really thought the only way I can get stronger is by myself and I was too ashamed to ask… Or maybe I was too shy? Heh, kinda weird for someone like me, huh?”

Jaz giggled slightly before wiping off the remainder of her tears.

“You’re right Veggie, I should ask one of you guys!” The girl tapped her index finger against her chin, pondering. “But who to ask? Can’t ask Gogeta ‘cause he's being a total jerk right now. You need to focus on saving the universe with Brachi and her squad, so I can’t ask you guys. Beery is more focused on food, so he’s out, and I don’t know everyone else enough to train with them. The only one left is Junior…”

Her simple thinking turned to concern.

“I need to apologize to Junior… I said some pretty mean things to him. I hope he forgives me tho’…” Jaz pulled her head back at her last sentence and scoffed. “Wait, what am I sayin’?! Junior is totally gonna forgive me! He spent all his entire friggin' life tryin’ to get me back! No way is he gonna blow this chance! I’m sure he’ll understand if I talk to him. Besides, I already told him I loved him, so I think he’s extra happy about that…” Her cheeks tinged red. “Alright! That settles it then!”

Jaz took hold of Vegetto’s hands and bolted up on her feet, pulling him with her. With her spirits restored and her confidence high, Jaz puffed her ego before jabbing a thumb on the center of her chest. Her green eyes sparkled with joy.

“Starting today, you’re gonna see a brand new Jaz! No more trying to follow your path, no more worrying about how strong the enemy is, no more being scared! This time I’m gonna take things my way and get stronger doing so! When Junior teaches me how to fly, and when he shows me super cool energy techniques, you can finally retire from fighting, Veggie! You’re getting kinda old anyway…”

Jaz chuckled before staring at Vegetto, eyes full of life and vigor, but most of all, gratitude. Without warning, the girl wrapped her arms around Vegetto, burying her face on his Gi. There was a moment of silence between the two until she finally spoke, her tone soft.

“Thank you Veggie, I… I really needed that.”

“I think I’m starting to get the big picture here,” Kire said while removing his bandana and running his fingers through his red hair. “you wanted to fill that hole in your heart, didn’t ya’? You wanted to feel the same passion Jaz gave you, the same confidence, the same love. Jaz was gone, and you couldn’t find her; you lost your way, and eventually, you lost all hope. When Vaylin came in the picture, something sparked inside you, and that hole in your chest was starting to fill up. For once, you felt alive. It was pure ecstasy for you…”

Kire held out his palm, showing a hologram of Vaylin that cheerfully skipped over to Junior and took a seat next to him.

“As you said, you spared the girl because you saw the same ambition Jaz had. She did everything you wanted, listened to your every word, all so you can be happy. You felt great…for a little while. However, deep down inside, I’m willing to bet that you knew it wasn’t the same as having Jaz… You might have liked how Vaylin treated you, but what you really wanted was Jaz. You had a replica, and it only made you crave the real thing even more…”

Holo-Vaylin wrapped her arms around Junior sensually, her cheek resting on his shoulder.

“But you know what I think, Junior?” Kire smirked before rising to his feet. He walked to the window and stood a few feet before it. He chuckled, each time getting progressively louder until he turned on his heel and pointed directly at Junior, his voice sharp and encouraging. “You never really gave up hope! You searched every corner of this universe for 25 years to find your beloved Jaz! All your courage, all your ambition, all your determination never left as you thought it did! Even when you felt your absolute worst, you still had Jaz’s laugh, her face, her strong will running through you! You spent time with Vaylin, but all you saw, all you wanted, was Jaz! You may have given up on yourself, but you never once gave up on Jaz. Fate didn’t bring Jaz back, you did. You didn’t want Vaylin; you wanted Jaz… don’t let her slip through your hands, not after everything you’ve done to get her back.”

Kire’s eyes had the fiery passion similar to Jaz, despite saying they were nothing alike. His smirk rose to a cocky grin as he tied his bandana back on his head.

“If you are willing to risk so much to see my daughter, then I should reward you for your efforts. I want you and Jaz to get stronger with each other, I can never pull you two apart even if I wanted to. You deserve to be happy, regardless of what anyone tells you. However, in the middle of a huge war, that can be a pickle. So how about… a deal?”

The Vaylin Hologram gave an angry stare at Kire, pushing herself closer to Junior, almost as if she wanted to take him away from whatever Kire was going to say next. Kire’s right arm extended to Junior, the same one projecting the hologram. The look in his eyes was intense and honest.

“You spend time with Jaz, teaching her everything you know and protecting her, and I get Arcann off your hair so you won’t have to deal with all this fighting. Don’t worry about me. I’m more than capable of taking care of myself than you think.”

Holo-Vaylin stared directly at Junior, eyes filled with worry, identical to how Jaz would look. Should he accept Kire’s deal, the hologram would disappear, along with all of his fears.

“You can change your future now or dwell in the past you can never reverse. I want to help you, but ultimately, the choice is yours, son.”

"You're doing it. Focusing on the life force flowing through someone, that is the basics of sensing the Force." Kira said, unable to contain her pride in Mioi's success. "The limit of how far you can sense comes down to experience and the strength of who you're trying to find. Solaris used to be someone that anyone could sense a planet away when he really let go. The more battles we get in the better your senses will become. There's not much of a need to strain yourself, so if you want to stop now that's fine."

- - - -

Solaris kept his eyes trained into Brachi's while being helped up.

"I just... Can't remember..."

Static. Fire, brimstone, a figure in a robe, a dark grey skinned demon.

"Where we've met before."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom