The Reality Vortex: Red Reputations

Status
Not open for further replies.
"True, the rest of the hive should be underground. But the plan is for the stealth group to find the elite Xy'pher to destroy its core and in turn, dispose of the hive and dwindle the numbers of the whole army. And if we're assuming the elite might be somewhere underground, that should be where the stealth team should be heading should they be successful at finding an entrance." Bage explained to Berserk as the group continued walking. "Since we'll be the ones causing a distraction, if we travel down into the hive, the distraction wouldn't be successful. Because we'll all be gathered in the same area with a bunch of agitated enemies. So us traveling upward will cause the bulk of them to follow us, leaving team stealth less susceptible to being spotted and taken out. Make sense?"

Bage smiled softly before turning his attention back to the others as he noticed the shadowy figure approaching them in the dark. The intensity of the moment faded as Zenta approached the group with a bashful smile.

"Don't go scaring us like that Zenta," Bage chuckled slightly, trying to alleviate the fear he felt at that moment. Overhearing Bernkastel's thoughts on the clawed up and jammed door, he paused for a moment, then looked back at where the unusual breeze had been blowing at them before answering Berserk. "I think the wind may be a better bet than the door. Bern is right, this door looks a lot worse than these others that have been beaten up. There could be something inside just waiting for the opportunity to attack. It's best if we leave that door alone."

Mysterious Manor - Team Distraction

"I apologize... perhaps I am getting a little overzealous." Zenta frowned. "But I did not sense anyone inside, just an odd energy I am not entirely familiar with. I also did not hear anyone inside either, so it could be entirely empty."

Zenta guided the Breakers to the door, following closely behind Spina.

"I can see in the dark, so I think I should peek inside to assure the safety of the room." Zenta suggested. "If there is no danger, then you can enter with no worries, and even if there is danger, you will not be hurt in the process."

The closer the Breakers got to the room, the stronger the quakes got. Just like before, cracks were forming under their feet, causing the manor to creak and groan. The energy from the room felt nostalgic to the Breakers, as if they were reliving memories, and, in a way, they felt calm. A complete contrast to the claw marks and struggle on the door. It was enticing, but nothing the Breakers could not push through.

The pitter-patter would echo through the walls before disappearing through the dark halls and moving upwards within the manor. They came and went, but it definitely sounded as if there was someone, or something, running just on the floor above them, or even through the walls. However, the Breakers felt no danger, at least not yet. Oddly enough, the pitter-patter would avoid the odd room entirely. Was it from fear or other reasons?

"You hear that?" Zenta said as he perked his ears. "The noise of scattering feet around us..." Zenta pointed in the direction the noise ran before stopping his attention at the mysterious door. "They vehemently avoid this room... Maybe there is something they consider a threat? Any threat to the Xy'phers can be an asset to us. It is risky, but what do you suppose we do, Mr. Spina?"

Mysterious Manor - Team Stealth

Nia leaned closer to the Xy'phers suck in their petrified state before carefully touching one of their hands. She showed no emotion for her fallen kin, and, instead, nodded to confirm to May.

"Yes, these are most definitely Xy'phers. It's odd though..." Nia said as she examined the Xy'pher bodies closer. "This is... not normal Xy'pher behavior. They would never cluster up like this. Moreover, they have not reverted to the 'Coin State' and appear entirely dead."

"Was this the Red King's doin'? He's known to kill Xy'phers by rippin' their heads off..." Avalon said.

"This is not the King's doing, he only disposes of traitors... Something killed these Xy'phers and made them suffer a cruel death." Nia said looking up the hole the Xy'phers fell from. "Their deaths resonated from upstairs."

"You sayin' we gotta go up there?! Are you nuts?!" Avalon grunted while putting on the specks May gave him. " All while climbin' these creepy things? What if we end up like those Xy'phers?"

"Whatever is up there bypassed the King's Eye."

"What do you mean..?"

"The King is aware of all the Xy'phers who die, seeing through their eyes briefly, and gathering intelligence. I have yet to hear of any Xy'pher mentioning anything of this sort... Whatever is up there is beyond the King's capabilities to connect to these Xy'phers, meaning he's completely unaware that these Xy'phers are even gone. It's hard to explain, but think of it like a severed connection... a true death."

As Nia explained, she took a hold of one of the arms of her fallen Xy'phers, beginning to climb up slowly. The gravity was passing in and out, growing stronger and weaker at some points. However, the gravity would be entirely null in the room upstairs, as if it has no effect on it. As the group climbed up the bodies, it would begin to get colder and colder, so cold that they would be able to see their own breath. The windows up on that room were iced off by how cold the entire room was. There was a sensation of dread and paranoid, but there was nothing in the room to agitate them. They felt suddenly felt urges to turn against the other Breakers and the sense of paranoia grew. An innate primal instinct activated within each of the Breakers against their will, making them feel more savage and cruel. It was entirely out of their control but it came in waves, giving them some form of control. It was incredibly uneasy for them to be around each other, feeling as if they would betray each other. There was an immense pressure on their chests, almost as if their hearts were going to burst. Yet, no matter how high they climbed, there was no danger, nothing to hurt them.

It was fear.

"T-This place is... givin' me bad vibes." Avalon said under his frosted breath, beginning his climb after Nia. These guys... I... I should watch my back with 'em. Should I just... kill them? Kill them now..? Should I kill Nia? She could be a traitor...

"I agree..." Nia sighed. They are ready to kill me at any moment... I must keep my guard up at all times. Will my psychic powers be enough to stop them if they bone rush me?

Bara strangely however kept her composure, as if this primal surge had activated some form of fight or flight mode within her. 

"This pressure is overwhelming... I feel that I can only trust my most cherished friends... why do I feel that the others are being so hypocritical, ready to turn on me the moment they get the chance... no matter, it's THEIR fault if they end up making a mess out of this, yet I would be the one to fix in the end... let's not hope it will come to that; I know my friends better than them, let's see if the other... 'Breakers'... can earn my trust... otherwise they will find out the hard way not to mess with a Majin..." She thought to herself and herself alone, the language set in a tone only she could understand, as if having created mental barriers that would prevent anyone from reading her mind...

Bara felt more frustrated at being unable to use any of her special, physical abilities like her Body Manipulation as that was something that in general did NOT require energy or magic at all, but she could compensate for that, her microscopic eyes and ears still about to keep watch on anything around her.

May asks as the feeling of paranoia affects her "What happens wend a Xy'pher kills one its one?" May thinks "I hope I wrong on the reason way these Xy'phers or I am going need to be ready to disable some of them." 

May looks at the dead Xy'phers to see what each of the Xy'phers are doing as she bates the others to come at her. May thinks slightly worried "This may be a little much of a trust building excise but it's better than nothing."

The Mysterious Manor – Team Distraction

It was apparent that Spina was captivated by this strange sensation of energy behind that particular door. If Zenta was merely enticed by the limitless energy, Spina indulged on it. It spoke to his instincts that what lies behind the door will scratch that itch he was seeking—whatever he was seeking about. He extended his left arm forward with an open hand, the black spots flaring up once more.

From anyone’s point of view, it was clear that Spina was attempting to disregard the warnings from the others and reached for the door itself. In Bernkastel’s view in particular, the withered beast was in plain view, and became distorted to the point of uncanny. In reality, Spina closed his left hand tightly, letting it drop to his left side as if reason had come to his senses.

“Not worth it.” Spina told Zenta. “Stay on the path we’re assigned on and not make any unnecessary obstacles for ourselves. Whatever’s in there, let it stay there.” Spina turned his back away from the door. It was clear; however, that Spina was fighting the urge to do otherwise.
Guardian, in particular, was impressed that Bernkastel managed to convinced Spina to avoid the door. He even ordered Zenta to step away from it as well; she assumed at the very least, Spina would have him do it in his place to resonate his urges. Nevertheless, Guardian petted Bernkastel’s head. “Well done, little one.” Guardian’s tone was an apathetic as ever, but this time, there was a slight hint of happiness. “I can hear him cursed in vain; no doubt that I’ve correctly chosen you as my next pawn after Goku.”

Approaching the Detective, Spina raised his right hand towards the ceiling above them. “We’re going up, right?” The old Saiyan was aware that they won’t be able to fully utilize their powers without consequences—and whatever he did to bypass it the first place still remains unanswered. “We’re going have to jump. I’m sure all of you can managed to do that?” No doubt that Berserk, Zenta, Bage and himself are capable to leaping long distances and floorboards aren’t particularly sturdy enough to warranted serious injury. But Cayde and Bernkastel aren’t, at least, the physical types. “You.” Spina called out Zena. “You’re the biggest, you jumped up and make a hole, and we’ve followed you right after that.”

----

The Mysterious Manor – Team Stealth

As Team Stealth climbed on the corpses of petrified Xy’phers, Detective Spawn felt aggression forming in his thoughts. “Shit…” He exhales rapidly; it was so cold that the vapor in his breath turned into water droplets and ice. He was behind Avalon and Nia as they were talking amongst themselves, and the Detective became extremely suspicious of them. “Ever since last night, Avalon been acting strange. Could he be the spy that Nia talked about? Had Spina never stopped him…” The Detective tried to shake off such mindset, but they were increasingly invaded his head. Paranoia. Distrust. Anger. Apparent emotions and state of mind that were so overbearing that he could no longer think straight. With the inability to use his powers, it only added to his increased aggression. “Damn them…” He cursed under his icy breath. “I bet they’re simply using us as bait to get rid of the Detective Agency.” A strange thought ran through his mind; he turned to May, who was next to them as they climbed. “I should forgo Battler’s task and simply end it all here. With May here, it’s doable… Then I can save Wanda…”

Once again, the Detective shook his head. “What is this? Is this place messing with me?” Spawn turned his head slightly; the first person he eyed was Bara, who’d held pure frustration on her face. “I bet… she told her friends to stay behind so she can create an opening to leave us for dead.”

Then Spawn’s eyes landed on the fallen angel of grace, Lucifer Morningstar, whom was oddly not talkative. His eyes widened upon seeing the angel’s face: not anger nor frustration, but pure, untamed malice. His eyes were like black holes that pulls anyone that dared look at his direction near and shook them with terror. Spawn had face Satan before, but that incarnation was merely a temper child with a spoiled attitude. This Lucifer, with that expression alone, represents pure chaos.

Lucifer, without making his usual smile and his demeanor lost, locked eyes with Spawn. “Keep your eyes forward, friends. We’re nearly there.” He spoke in such a deep, flat tone without any hint of wit. Something that Spawn shook with terror upon hearing it.

Upon reaching the top, they were in a strange room, where all the Xy’phers barely reached the edge of the hold before perishing. There were few flickers of light sparingly; and the coldness was even more apparent that it was hard to move around. No windows, no portraits, no artifacts; at least, not visible to the naked eye. There, however, exist a door on the other side of the room—visible thanks to the flickering lights. 

“The hell killed these Xy’phers?” Detective Spawn questioned, but nothing was particularly out there. The only thing they can see ahead is the door on the other side. “Whatever… fuck this. Let’s just go.” Taking just one step forward, Spawn’s instincts were firing off warnings of death in this room, forcing him to pause his movements. “May… what do you see in this room with those infrared tech?”

As Zenta stepped away from the door, he watched Spina and nodded in agreement, not wanting to fight whatever may lie behind the door. Traveling upwards within the tower sounded like a better idea than mindlessly opening all the doors, especially the odd one they found. While Spina mentioned they should keep moving up, he pointed out Zenta's height. The beast knew he was tall, but compared to the current group, he felt massive, even more than usual since Lucifer was not around to match him. A cute pink tint formed on his cheeks while Spina pointed out the obvious.

"W-Well... I certainly am the tallest right now." Zenta said bashfully. "But very well, I will make a hole in the ceiling."

The beast squatted on the floor and prepared some energy to his feet so it can boost him through the ceiling. With a mighty hop, Zenta smashed through the ceiling above them, leaving rubble and debris to crumble down below them. From the hole was a tiny glimmer of light, but it was enough to hide Zenta from view as he plopped himself gracefully within the room above them. There was only one thing that caught his attention, and it was the soft sound of scratchy classic music playing from a record player. Zenta was still careful nonetheless, keeping his senses on full alert should anything try to attack him.

"When you put it that way, it does seem a bit hasty for us to try and be the ones who find the hive first," Berserk sheepishly smiled. "They're hard to shake off in a chase too. Better we don't go in there, then." Although she went along with Bage's analysis without much trouble, she stared at the door like she wanted to do more than just guess what was behind it. The noises deliberately avoiding the door didn't seem to shake her concentration on it.

Bernkastel on the other hand, started to feel disgruntled at the prospect she'd be moved aside by either Spina or Zenta to see what was inside the room. She did her best to keep a straight face over it but stared intently at Spina's hand. Part of her felt silly because there wasn't any inherent fear when she actually stood just outside the frame of the door...

No, it's a trick! This was a setup! Bern's hand twitched reflexively, feeling the urge to swat the man's hand away or push him across the hall rising. The seconds felt impassably long-- Bern's body tensed up like she was intending to block Spina from passing the doorway. Only when he pulled away and order them to keep moving did she release the breath she was holding, glancing up only to briefly eye Guardian for the comments she made. For all she knew there would surely be more 'traps' she'd have to make Spina avoid.

But one thing was strange-- why was Guardian talking about a man named Goku? The Detective? Bern furrowed her brows with confusion until she looked back over to the hole Zenta made. "Yes, let's just get going." She said before floating up onto the next floor, quietly tuning an ear to the odd music playing.

"Upsy-daisy then, Tin-Man," Berserk said before wrapping her hair ribbons around Cayde's waist to help lift him up the hole in case he wasn't one of the flying sort. "I'd carry you up but I've got a bunch of explosives on me. Wouldn't want to set them off by accident see."

The Mysterious Manor – Team Distraction

As Spina ordered, Zenta jumped through the ceiling above and created an entrance for them to enter. Of course, Spina took precaution that with any loud thud, will likely attract the Xy’phers to come to their direction in search of the noise’s origin. Per Bage’s analysis, this was a good moment to steer danger away from Team Stealth.

“What the hell is that sound?” Spina raised a brow upon, hearing an unfamiliar musical arrangement. “What a dreadful sound….” He instantly covered his ears, expressing his disgust with this genre. It was an unnatural response to a rather soft melody, even if it the record player is clearly showing its age.

The entirely of the next floor, as Team Distraction jumped through, is just a single, enormous room with two doors on opposite sides. There were no hallways, rooms, or anything of that sort. Just a single room packed with strange artifacts, old portraits, etc. Record players; old televisions; Tube Radios were common and in abundance. With closer examination, there were artifacts that clearly belong to those from different worlds; sets of inactive Dragon Balls; fractured chaos emeralds; Fenton Thermos, etc. Even in their upmost perfect conditions, they will still fail upon activation due to the complexities of this odd world. Instead, they laid as mere knickknacks.

Upon even further examination, hidden in the ancient artifacts was a basket of purely dark orbs. Dark orbs that few of the Breakers have encountered before during their final bout against Doctor Victor von Doom. Just as everything else in this room, they are not active—even the “dark energy” that emits from it are non-existence. Next to the dark orbs, of course, was a strange bottle that emitted a galaxy-like appearance. Every corner of this room, from the bed-frame to the windows, illustrated a preservation mindset. In other words, it was a museum of all things history of other worlds and this one.

As it was a preservation room with the intention of hoarding all objects and keeping them at least in good condition, the temperature dropped dramatically. So much that one can clearly see every breath they took. Another is ensuring that these objects aren’t to be in harm’s way, and when Zenta smashed through the ceiling sparked an immediate event when an ancient vase was knocked from the table and smashed into tiny pieces.

As Zenta looked around with his guard up in response to the classical music, a flowing dress brushed against his snout. Right away, the environment he was in strange dramatically; a light blue hue flooded the room around him. A woman of enormous size with an impeccable dress appeared before Zenta. Taking several hits from the churchwarden pipe. Exhaling once, letting out a ring of smoke from her mouth, she stared down at Zenta with curiosity in her eyes. “Ah, who broke my precious vase?” she spoke slowly before disappearing from his sight. A strange contradiction: Zenta, despite being blind, was able to clearly see what she looks like. What’s even more strange: no one will have any knowledge of this person because this woman *only* appears to Zenta and Zenta only—and Guardian, standing behind Bernkastel, who chose to not disclose this information to her at this moment.

Spina jumped through the hole and rushed towards the record player. “I can’t stand this damn sound!!” Spina raised his left arm, his right hand on his head, and smashed it with his bare hand in one blow. “That was the worst sound I’ve ever heard.”

Bage smiled at Berserk, nodding in confirmation as she came to understand the plan in more detail. His eyes came to the strange door once again, seeing Spina close it shut before ordering for them to travel up. With a nod and a leap, the Saiyan detective was off, following behind the group as the last to enter through the opening in the ceiling.

The air caused a shiver to go up the detective's spine. It was strange just how drastic the air had changed from the lower floor, like they had leaped into the earth's outer atmosphere. And that soft music only added to the mysterious and paranormal mood. Bage observed the room, noting all the inactive objects in the room. Maybe the temperature had to do with preserving these artifacts since they looked to be inactive. His attention then found itself on the galaxy-colored bottle. Yes! He knew one had to be here! Without hesitation, he headed over to it and carefully scooped it up with his hand. Though at the sound of the soft music suddenly cracking against Spina's fist, the detective was startled. The bottle leaped out of Bage's arms and back down into them, nearly falling to the ground.

"Spina!" Bage snapped, trying to preserve the quiet in the room. "Someone could've turned off the music if it was bothering you that much...! Let's not attract the Xy'phers while we're investigating. Besides, I think we've got a little more information to go off of now."

Bage raised the bottle up to show the others, hoping to rally them to him so they could examine the contents before continuing on.

Bara kept her eyes and ears open, using her headtentacle to sway about as a radar, keeping track of the miniscule particles she had around, when her eyes narrowed, looking around with a bit more suspicion than the others. She appeared to meticulously scan the room with her eyes, as if trying to pick up any form of signatures she could recognize, or some that stood out to her from everything else within the room... while at the same time feeling shivers down her spine as if she had the distinct feeling that she, May and any of the others present were being watched by one or more individuals... she couldn't identify who it was or where it came from so far, as if whoever else was present were hiding within the shadows, but Bara was no fool; sure she was one of the most innocent Majins around compared to similar beings like Buu, but even she knew to look 'outside the box' when pitted with unknowns, a lesson Brachi had taught her after the latter saved her from the clutches of a hostile starbase in which Bara had been held captive for years, which was one of the reasons why the female Majin was looking up to Brachi a lot and rarely left her side under any normal circumstances.

This however proved to be a different situation than what she usually used to deal with, like a complete unknown in a place she had no prior knowledge of, but had to brave through even though she didn't like what she was sensing around her and within the others one bit... she suspected that they were being manipulated somehow, but she couldn't detect any traces of any form of magical mind control like what wizards like Babidi were capable of doing, having been informed about this by Mr. Buu in her previous interactions with the only male Majin she had known after coming to Earth. Heck, she didn't even know if there were any Martians responsible for it, being physically primitive but mental giants compared to the likes of a Human for once. Picking up some hostile intentions nearby she had only seen on a few occasions before, she decided to be open for once thanks to the particles, and seeing if she could make the others pick up what she had just sensed, and keep them prepared for any type of attack.

"Keep your guard up everyone," she then said, "I'm picking up killing intent emerging around the room."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom