The Reality Vortex: Red Reputations

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Greetings, Mr. President," Brachi said, bowing to him as a gesture of politeness, "it is an honor to be meeting with you." 

She then waited for what Vegetto would say, as Spawn and Brainstorm did say he would take center stage.

--------

Bara in the meantime was pointing her headtentacle around and out, not exactly directing it at anyone or anything, nor was she charging energy in it. Instead, she was using it as an antenna as if to scan for anything untoward, something Jize could understand.

Cayde kept his frown throughout the begging, and upon her finished statement, he suddenly dropped his shoulders in a childish, mechanical groan.

“Ughhhh, ok fine! Just...don’t touch anything! I still don’t have all this tech figured out, so I don’t need some kid messing things up and breaking my stuff!”

He turned his head towards May as he led the two up to the opposing building, his tone falling into a neutral voice while he focused on the task at hand.

“If we get lucky, the only thing we’ll have to do for our part is watch the live feed and give everyone the all clear. Fighting in cities always is rough, even with people who don’t normally smash planets in half by accident.”

Cayde glanced over his shoulder briefly, the small bout of concern in his stare behind everyone’s statements and the strange motion Avalon made with the scroll. He turned his back to the group shortly after however, letting out a deep sigh as he opened the door for May and Emilyn.

“Does anyone else have a bad feeling about what’s going to happen in the next twenty minutes?”

Vegetto kept his arms crossed in listening in on the briefing; his expression like stone. However, his narrowed eyes instantly locked onto Avalon as he approached Zenta; the conversation about the scroll catching his attention. He met Avalon’s eyes with a firm, intense glare in the subtle yet silent exchange; the Potara fusion quickly rationalizing that regardless of what was truly on the scroll, he believed it was another attempt by the ninja to discredit his image. The cocky scoff and the aggressive nature of Avalon’s goal to reveal the truth was all Vegetto focused on, and he swiftly turned to Zenta in preparation to demand the scroll.

However, Vegetto stopped short in listening in on Detective Spawn’s warning to Gogeta. He stood silent while the other fusion merely stared back throughout the explanation, Gogeta's own eyebrows narrowed in reply. Despite the stern warning, however, Gogeta barely made a sound or change of facial expression to even give the detective a proper confirmation of acceptance; Gogeta merely turned on his heel and walked after Bage and the others meant to hold the defense on the front lines.

Vegetto perked his head, however, as the guards waved the main group through to enter the building. He curbed the enthusiastic need to attempt a snatch of the scroll from Zenta, having not said a word to the other before following after Brainstorm and Detective Spawn into the news station. He barely glanced around at the establishment; briefly taking in the surroundings merely on impulse to figure out where he was exactly over any excitement over the impressive structure. While the group walked, Vegetto kept his eyes down a bit, losing focus a bit in imagining the developing potential situation at play.

That damn bastard is up to something...what the hell is in that damn scroll? If it's anything on what happened in Rogue, I'll need to make sure it doesn't hurt anything. Who can I convince around here to silence that little pest?

His eyes momentarily lifted, the loud and obnoxious voice from the past catching his thoughts and distracting him once again. Yet as soon as Vegetto registered what had happened and saw the all too familiar face on the television, he instantly turned his head back forward and remained silent while the group moved into the elevator. He inhaled deeply through his nose in shutting out the memories as best he could, his mind soon returning to the daunting task in his desire to fight against a potential problem that may not even be real.

It's imperfect...but I'll have to try it. If I can control him with my energy...then I can set the media on him as the bad guy."

Yet as the negative ideas raced through his head, the daunting and combative need to protect his image surging with the black energy once more, all of it vanished in the blink of an eye once Brainstorm nudged Vegetto with her elbow. Vegetto blinked once, turning his eyes down to the woman in confusion. The subtle flirt and confidence she displayed prompted a small blush to form in his cheeks, and Vegetto quickly cleared his throat in a scramble to get a hold of his thoughts at the responsibility thrusted onto him.

"Oh...yeah...good idea. I'll handle this."

Vegetto frowned slightly; the sheer contrast of negativity mere seconds ago with the objective at hand causing a hint of shame to rise in his head. Despite the enthusiasm from Brainstorm, the other Breakers and detectives had now given him the responsibility to lead the mission on this particular point. Even begrudgingly, the Breakers and the detectives had given what little trust existed to him to get the job, and the desire to finally do right by the others mounted as Vegetto took another deep breath, the elevator doors opening. Finding the resolve, he stepped into the President's office after Brachi.

Vegetto glanced towards Brachi at the sight of her bow, but soon turned his head forward and dropping his arms to his sides. The dual voice was direct and firm once it rung out, his eyes still slightly narrowed once President Beard finished his question.

"I know it must be a little frightening to see them here, President, but the Breakers are here to help protect the city from an imminent danger. With my help, we plan to stop this invasion of an army called the Xy'phers, and prove to everyone that the Breakers have dedicated themselves to become true heroes for the people of the Vortex."

The Plaza

As the group entered the plaza, Gogeta glanced around in a frustrated silence. He did little to respond to the commands of the detectives; his eyes intentionally drifting elsewhere like a child to avoid even accepting their objectives and goals. He stood with his arms at his sides next to the large, ornate fountain while the others talked and took a moment to breathe. Yet his attention found the little children playing next to the fountain in their superhero costumes; the sight itself a clear trigger to Gogeta's furrowed and twitching eyebrows. 

Gogeta then slowly turned towards the large fountain, casually leaning forward near the base of the structure. His right hand reached down, and a loud crack rung out as his fingers dug deep into the metal foundation that sat at the base of the concrete. With extensive ease, Gogeta suddenly hoisted up and tore the massive fountain from its structure. Concrete rubble and dust sprinkled down onto any nearby civilians and Breakers near the structure, water splashing everywhere and cascading into the giant hole of metal wires and pipes ripped from the foundation.

The shadow cast in the wake of the mangled and damaged fountain being held upright over Gogeta's head nearly made it hard to see the Saiyan. Yet a malicious smirk soon formed on his face as he slightly leaned his head down towards the children, nodding his head towards the buildings near by.

"Run home, little heroes."

Gogeta's dark expression, however, vanished as soon as he made the potential threat. His expression fell flat once more with a near bored stare as he lightly dropped the ornate metal fountain multiple times over his size onto the ground with a crashing, loud thud on its side.

May says in a professional tone "add that to the fact that force's foe is what seems to be locusts that some there forces may be on par with that force." 

May says as she enters "I have a feeling that meeting will be interrupted by the invasion." May starts to go to work.

"I guess you can say I helped out!" Avalon smiled childishly. "I know that once this whole thing is over, I can maybe be a bit more relieved." A sigh escaped his lips as he nodded to Berserk, talking about their part of the mission. "And I think you're gonna enjoy kickin' some Xy'pher butt. I mean, you were pretty awesome against Spina with the lasers and super-mega strength! I don't think they'll stand a chance now."

Avalon then overheard Lucifer and his little comment. At this point, he half expected Lucifer to 'speak his mind' on just about everything, yet, something he said struck a nerve and his easy-going persona seemed to change.

"You can't get on Berserk because she was fightin' the Boss head on, so she probably exhausted herself and that's why she passed out! Me... well, errm... I don't know why I passed out." He sounded doubtful and seemed to question his abilities. "I'm sure there's a reason. B-Besides, Lilith was on my head the whole time! Maybe she did something to me and you're tryin' to psyche me or somethin'!"

Regardless of what Avalon said, he still sounded doubtful. When Gogeta began terrorizing the children, he took the chance to ignore Lucifer and step over to Gogeta as he placed the fountain back down. He stopped himself from getting closer, assuming Gogeta would still snap at any moment.

"Hey, uhh, Gogeta," Avalon started. "I don't think we should be scarin' the kids... They ain't done anythin' wrong." He glanced at the little kids running away from the Fusion, crying in fear. "I know we're in a mess, but they had nothin' to do with us. Sure, it's annoyin' to see heroes and stuff and I kinda get you don't like 'em... but we shouldn't blame 'em, y'know? They're just kids..." Despite Gogeta's atittude, the ninja still tried to reason with him, or, at least, calm him down. "I mean, you got some people out there that actually like you, despite what you may have done. That cute fangirl and Bernkastel think you're cool and so do I, even if you're a musclehead. I can tell you're at least tryin' to change... So, uhhh... don't think too hard on it, we're in it together, and we got each other's backs, 'kay?"

He cleared his throat. "Just don't do that," He pointed at the broken fountain.

"No problem! I won't touch a thing!" Emilyn nodded to Cayde as she went through the door. "I'm not so worried. I think the Breakers will beat whatever bad guy they're looking for. I've seen you guys do some awesome stuff..." She lowered her voice slightly. "Though, to be honest, I'm a bit scared... I don't know what's going to happen, but it's got to be pretty serious if you need to talk to the RNN. I just have faith that the Breakers will keep Reflection City safe..."

With Bernkastel's tiny hand tightening around his, he, in turn, also applied pressure of his own, not to hurt the Witch, but to reassure her that he will stick by her side and that she needed to calm down. The guards never once took their gaze off of the Breakers, even with Spawn, Vegetto, and Brainstorm nearby. Every one of them seemed tense, particularly around Bernkastel, and now, Zenta, simply by his association with her. As they went up the elevator and heard Doom's voice, Zenta couldn't help but chuckle and shake his head at what he heard. In his other hand, he fiddled about with the scroll, curious to know what Avalon gave to him.

I wonder what he wrote down here. Considering that it never tells a lie, then I suppose it must be valuable information, to say the least.

He tossed the scroll up and down in his hand until they finally came across the President of the RNN. With his traditional humble bow, he allowed Vegetto and Brachi to talk, yet, it was clear he listened to every word they said very carefully. The guards, meanwhile, were keeping an eye on the Breakers, ready to take action the moment any one of them tried something funny. The office seemed a little crowded with so many guards, but they wanted to make sure that the President was safe.

The Reality News Network Headquarters

Detective Spawn focused on Vegetto—he really didn’t think that Vegetto was the right person on the job due to several bursts of anger he displayed earlier. However, due to Brainstorm’s confidence and reasoning, he really couldn’t argue with her. Bernkastel was clearly not the right person due to her reputation and would immediately dismiss her. Spina is currently still sleeping, but even if he were awake, his aggressive language would be disastrous. He still didn’t trust Zenta due to things beyond the scope of the Breakers. Mainly because the President won’t know who he is personally since he wasn’t there 3 years ago when the new world was created and didn’t make a lastly impression. Considering the beast had already latched on Bernkastel, that itself was already an issue. 

Brachi and Vegetto were ideal picks for the job. Perhaps he should’ve spoken up and have Brachi lead the way, but after seeing Vegetto worked himself properly explain the situation, perhaps he might’ve been too quick to judge. Most of all, it was President Beard’s reaction that will make and break the case.

As Vegetto explained the situation, President Beard twirl his mustache to think about the information revealed to him. “You are correct. Not only it’s frightening, but I must be a fool. Especially after reporting their behaviors of how they conduct themselves. It’s one of the reasons why I decided to add plentiful guards… just in case.” He narrowed his eyes. “But with Detective Spawn, Brainstorm and you being here… does keep me at ease somewhat.”

Brainstorm looked around the room. “Yeah, no kidding…” She said in respond to adding guards to the Headquarters. She did not like being in a room crammed with this many people.

He let out a light chuckle at the thought of Breakers reforming themselves as heroes. “Xy’phers? Invasions? What are you talking about?” President Beard blinked once. “That sounds absurd.”

“They’re… basically crystallized beings.” Detective Spawn said, hands Bage's documents to Vegetto for him to explain and showcase evidence.

“Those are the Xy’phers? But the Task Force here already disposed of them.” President Beard remember a report of “rock-like” creatures kidnapping people a while ago. “So, again, what are you talking about?”

=====

The Plaza

“Oh, why I would never.” Lucifer smile when Avalon left to deal with Gogeta after ripping the foundation from the ground. Taking out a handkerchief to wipe the water that splashed on his face. Lilith was feeling slightly agitated and was about to crawl out of his sleeve to deal with Gogeta. “Now, now. We still have a bit to go. I’m sure everyone is doing their best to make the most disastrous thing possible. There, you’ll have your fun, madam. Have patience.” Lucifer assured the snake-form, calming her down.

The angel turns his sight towards Bage. "I supposed this is part of Gogeta ripping the foundation and scarring children of your plan, right?" If so, I'm loving it so far." Lucifer chuckled, literally making a joke at the Detective's expense.

Bage looked up in shock, not even a minute had gone by and Gogeta was already making a scene and stirring up trouble with the locals. The children ran off in terror to their parents caused some of the other adults to glare at the fusion. He grimaced slightly as the now ruined fountain came crashing to the ground.

Bage sighed, rising from his seat on the bench, scoffing at Lucifer before following Avalon, determined to get to the bottom of this, waiting until Avalon was finished trying to reason with Gogeta. Crossing his arms, he tried to keep a calm tone while standing over him. "What is your deal? Are you just programmed to do the opposite of what you're told? I asked you to wait patiently until the signal is given, that's it. And instead, you do this! What do I have to do to understand whatever it is you're trying to prove besides the initial goal of making sure people don't hate your guts? Because the brooding around like a child is going to stop. What is your goal for even sticking around if you seem to hate heroes so much?"

The detective tapped his finger impatiently against his coat, hoping to get something out of Gogeta that would help him behave even in the slightest.

"We should restrain him until the invasion begins," Jize commented, "if this keeps up, he'll bring your reputation down too, which woudn't do you any good either."

"I doubt that will work, considering how strong he is." Bara muttered.

The Reality News Network Headquarters

Holding onto the files handed to him, Vegetto only raised an eyebrow at the president’s explanation. He didn’t bother to look down at the reports now; the admission catching him off guard. Vegetto furrowed his brow in confusion, glancing between the others for a moment before speaking up in a questioning tone.

“Wait, your task force already took care of them?”

The Plaza

Gogeta lifted his eyes slowly onto Avalon, holding a mostly blank stare with slightly narrowed eyebrows while the ninja spoke and attempted to ease him. Yet the expression on the fusion never once changed; a heavy contrast to Avalon’s perceived fears that Gogeta would snap seemed to give no concern on Gogeta’s expression. He looked on without a reply, only turning his attention once Bage towered over him. Gogeta stared up at the detective, meeting his eyes. He then proudly lifted his chin with a smug smirk; his arms bending out as he boisterously placed his hands on his hips.

“Because I’m smarter than you. Everyone wants to wait around for this fight, but no one is doing anything to get these weak people out of harm’s way.”

He mockingly shrugged his shoulders.

“None of these people would leave if I just asked them nicely, so I’m actually doing something to motivate them into getting somewhere safe. Just because everyone already hates me here and I should use that to my advantage.”

Gogeta nodded to Bage, Avalon and Jize while raising his hands up in a sarcastic gesture of surrender.

“But I get it; you wanna be just like Vegetto. You want them all to love you like they love him, but you’d rather sit on a bench and worry about how you’re gonna change their minds instead of actually helping them get to safety.”

He narrowed his eyes a bit.

“So do what he does, start a fight with me and blame me for doing a better job protecting people than you are. I’m not scared of a couple of worthless heroes. I’m something better, and I’ll prove it here right now if I have to.”

RNN Headquarters

Bernkastel leaned against the back wall of the meeting room with her arms crossed, resigned to not being part of the conversation. She could tell the guards surrounding the President were particularly tense if they were within proximity, and the claustrophobic feeling of so many people crammed into one room was stifling to say the least. 

Her aloof expression didn't change too much, aside from lifting a brow at the mention that the Xy'phers were supposedly already taken care of. Bern had her own reservations, especially with how security seemed to be almost excessive despite them dropling by unannounced.

=======

"That was different-- he just caught me off-guard, that's all! If I knew how extreme it was gonna get I wouldn't have let him make me look bad!" Berserk assured Lucifer, though she seemed irritated that he brought up the match as it was a sore spot. "But you'll see for yourself soon that I won't let anybody win over me today!" She turned around and gestured to the case of her weapon. "Those Xy'phers won't know what'll hit em!"

After the commotion occured by Gogeta, she turned back around and listened in on what he was saying to Bage and the others. Berserk pursed her lips in thought. "I figured they'd get the President to do that broadcast thingy and tell everyone to go hide... didn't think to make them go home earlier. Can't argue with that kinda logic, but I sense a conflict of interest goin' on here." Her gaze shifted between the two sides before her eyes lightened up. "I wish we could at least stage a fight, maybe get a lot of people to scram while we wait..." Berserk hunched over and started to speak in a dramatic narrative tone. "A lone Blue Devil takes a stand against his tenuous warden, Detective Bage and-- some other guys! With one Powerpunk Girl jumping into the fray as the... Devil's advocate? I'll work on that one." She then sighed. "But with Spawn and the city's scanning thing... too bad! Guess we'll have to save the violence for another day."

"While that was intuitive of you to do, Berserk is correct. As we discussed before coming here, the plan was to wait for a lockdown broadcast to go out by the President himself. Once the warning sounds, we'll be able to help the citizens follow the order and return to their homes." Bage said, his expression and tone much calmer after having been able to at least understand his motive behind the destruction. "And you won't have to, because nobody is trying to pick a fight with you. Avalon, Berserk, and I, at least, are trying to be team players and understand your methods. I'm sorry if it sounded accusatory from me."

Bage turned to Jize, in hopes to calm her down as well. Gogeta was at least right about that. They wouldn't get anywhere if they constantly tried to fix things by demonizing one another. Then the detective gave a questioning frown as Berserk followed up with the suggestion to fake a fight to clear the area. A warden? He hoped his response was enough decline taking part in such a plan. 

"Right, because a fake fight won't be necessary, especially in a city where watching two people fight is a sight to behold. It could clear the area, but it could also draw an unwanted crowd right to us. As well as a big distraction when the broadcast sounds."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom