The Reality Vortex: Red Reputations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Berserk woke up with a start from the sounds of bullets being fired, slipping off the bed before rubbing her head with a groan. "Mornin' already? Aaaw... five more minutes..." She yawned loudly before scrambling for her clothes that looked good as new with a proper washing and drying. Having used the clothes they were offered as sleepwear, Berserk was eager to change out of them.

"What's the deal, man? Better be good reason for wakin' us up!" She floated out and rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. "Hey, something's different about you today, Lucifer..." Berserk stopped and pursed her lips as she noticed the angel changed somewhat from yesterday. "Oh! You got taller... didya drink that cranberry stuff? Careful, you might turn old like Grandpa!" She teased playfully before stopping, suddenly turning red in the face and shielding her eyes from Avalon and Zenta. "Aw, yuck! Put some pants on you two, there are GIRLS next door, you know!"

"Never does a morning begin without some sort of commotion..." Bernkastel muttered, slipping out of what was a very dark room-- she must have intentionally blocked out any light from coming into it to sleep properly. "Seems everyone is lively today..."

"You can say that again!" Berserk turned towards her. "D'aww, looks like even after all that sleep you didn't get any taller. Don't worry Bernie, you'll get there some day." She reached out to give Bern a head pat, causing the smaller one to frown without amusement. Despite her teasing, there was one thing that changed overnight and that was Bern's attire; she wore a blue and black variant of the guest clothes. Compared to her lolita dress, it was the first time Bernkastel might have worn pants. "Ditched the dress, huh?"

"It got boring wearing the same old thing after so long, and I prefer looking presentable. I'll elect to ignore that other remark," Bernkastel replied as she smoothed her hair again. She didn't seem very talkative and merely gave the others a small nod of her head in greeting. "Seems like we're only missing the fusions. And Spina..." Bern trailed off awkwardly. "Anyway, I'm guessing he (Vegetto) has something planned if he sent you?" She asked Cayde with apprehension in her tone, not having any expectations Vegetto would play nice again after their prior exchange. The feeling would be mutual from her anyhow, but Spina's absence added to her sense of uncertainty for what they'd be doing next about the Xy'phers.

Cayde slightly chuckled to himself, finishing reloading the gun before tucking it back into his holster.

"Ha...gunning."

He offered no immediate response to the other remarks from the others, watching Bage nearly stumble out of his room in the frantic moment. The android turned his eyes to Bernkastel, continuing on.

"Well...no, actually, he didn't send me for anything. I just distinctly remember that we had a date last night for ramen, and everyone stood me up to sleep in! So naturally, I had to make sure that everyone gets up...because you know what they say-"

Cayde practically fist pumped his left arm in a happy demeanor, smiling widely to the Breakers.

"A team that eats ramen together, stays together."

He immediately dropped his arm, thinking to himself for a moment.

"Wait no, that's not how it goes."

Cayde didn't have a moment to think, however, a loud blip ringing out from the side of his head. He reached up without apologizing to the Breakers, turning his eyes up.

"Yello. You're good to go."

The android paused, his expression flattening.

"Aw man, alright then."

Cayde lowered his arm, his expression growing serious and gesturing to the hallway.

"Nevermind, looks like your friend's got some weird stuff going on. The boss wants us over there to see what's up with him; meet me in the medical bay when you're ready."

The android didn't wait for a reply, turning on his heel and walking over towards the direction of the medical facility.

Having been undeterred and unaffected by the gunfire, Gogeta snored loudly as he slept like a rock on his bed. Splayed out with the covers and pillows everywhere, he made no attempt and looked no where close to waking up for the day's events.

Zenta looked down at his legs to see himself without pants, chuckling at Berserk's remark. Avalon, however, seemed a little numb to Berserk. Normally he would say good morning and other nice things but today he seemed out of it. As both ninja and beast went to get their pants, the former took his scroll and allowed it to zip shut. There was a long moment of silence as Avalon stared intently at his scroll.

As Zenta and Avalon left their room, the beast was brushing his fur with a handy brush he found and the ninja fixed his scarf before lowering his gaze to the floor. Only when Lucifer approached him did his attention shift away. His demeanor did not change and he still kept his dull look. When he asked if someone died, the hand gripping his scroll tighten. Whatever talk he had with Zenta last night seemed to be storming his mind. Yet, he did not seem depressed, but rather, desperate for answers.

The ninja ignored Lucifer, walking away from the Angel, barely noticing that he got taller. He even moved past Berserk, not acknowledging her for the moment as he scribbled something down in his scroll, right after Cayde mentioned something about Spina. He picked up his pace, almost as if desperate to verify something.

I'm coming closer to figuring out the truth... Why is my scroll so important..? What can it really do?

Zenta, on the other hand, seemed much more relaxed compared to Avalon. He bowed his head to the few exiting their rooms and said his 'good mornings' to them. Hearing Cayde talk about Spina's condition, he watched Avalon walk off in a hurry. He too was curious to see Spina's condition and how well he healed during the night. His gaze shifted then to the older Lucifer as he made his way to the Angel. While he brushed his fur, he couldn't help but smile to himself at how rapidly the Angel seemingly recovered.

"Well, it seems that you recovered rather quickly," He said with a smile. "Was it from a good night's rest or is our little angel hiding something? Oh, how I wonder..." The beast chuckled and petted Lilith on her head. "Truth be told, I wish to know what you know about these phenomena happening. These energies and the odd things that I sensed from Spina, the cracks on his body... You know more than what you are saying, but perhaps the right questions need to be asked."

Zenta leaned slightly towards Lucifer, his voice turning to a low whisper. "I assume you are incredibly curious about Spina's condition. Tell me, what do you predict, Lucifer?"

Seeing that Avalon did not gave an answer, Lucifer wondered if he was still depressed over the Xy’pher incident or perhaps something even deeper. Nevertheless, the angel turned to Cayde when the latter complained about the others missing the meal last night.

“They made a wise choice. Starvation is much of a preferable option than destroying one’s tongue of that disgusting dish. Now, if you lot like to have a real delicacy, I can prepare something delicious that will leave your stomachs seeking for more. Unlike Cross, Cuki and…” He turned to Brachi, attempting to remember her name, before snapping his fingers. “Chibra. I have eons of experience of cooking, especially in a professional setting. I shall not allow the Breakers to continue on living without at least tasting delicious food—once.” Lucifer said with a level of confidence, presented with his usual smugness.

Lilith slithered a bit when Zenta touched her head, indicting that she’s fine with the petting.

Upon hearing that there was something going on with Spina, Lucifer had a jovial smile. “Oh? Something is happening with our “glorious leader”?” Turning towards Zenta that approached him with several questions. “A good night’s rest is always good for your body. It’ll helped the body grows. I heard drinking plenty of milk works too.” He joked. “But alas, perhaps I do know the answers, or maybe I don’t. But if you phrase the question, I might answer. Who knows? But yes, I do wish to see if Spina is dead—or a Xy’pher, haha.” Lucifer narrowed his eyes. “Oh! Someone wakes up Gogeta. I’m sure he’ll love to see his professional work at full display if he ends up dead! Bernkastel? Maybe Bage? Come, come. Let’s see to it.” Lucifer said, following Cayde.

Brachi growled at hearing Lucifer.

"Obviously you haven't tried any of my meals before. Would you like something extra spicy if I am going to cook? I can make it happen for you." She snarked at her, before she got more properly dressed and followed Cayde, with Bara and Jize following suit.

Jize on her turn was a bit more concerned with what Cayde said.

"I wonder what is going on with Spina... there must be something going on if it requires our immediate attention." She said.

I'm not sure what to make of his tastebuds' idea of delicious if he likes cranberry juice... Berserk thought to herself, wondering if Lucifer would make tapioca pudding or something similar to what she would categorize as 'old people food'. "Well I'm game if it isn't cup ramen... it just tastes like salty chickenwater! Right?" She turned to Avalon thinking he would share in the humor of her joke, but gave a confused look at his uncharacteristic silence as he walked past. Berserk couldn't tell what he was distracted by, curiously attempting to peek at his scroll by floating high enough. Huh, I can't read it at all... it better not say something rude about me or else!

"If you do, I'll have a plate of extra spice myself. I quite like spicy things. It's fun to watch people react to 2 million scovilles of heat," Bernkastel said while Cayde took a call. The humor left her face upon learning something may be wrong with Spina in the medical bay.

"Is it a good idea to wake him up? He might go back to being a jerkface again after his nap." Berserk pouted as she followed Cayde and the others.

"I'll do it. He should see his half of the damages," Bern said bluntly, gripping the doorknob and using magic to undo the lock. "From the looks of it, he's gone back to his normal, less terrible old self. Which means it would cause me a headache if we left him on his own." Letting herself in, the witch made her way to the slumbering fusion sure of what would wake him. Locating his tail, she grasped it in hand and yanked it repeatedly as she stared him down. "Wake up. Now. Or else I'll fill your pants with snakes."

Bage yawn as Cayde explained his plan to have his ramen with the group, his face twisting in confusion. 

"Ramen this early in the morning?" He muttered to himself as the android took his call. His mind remained on whether it could be alright to eat the noodles at this time, but the mention of Spina woke the detective right up. All memories of the day before came flooding in, reminding him of his guilt. The detective followed Cayde without hesitation, still in the nightclothes provided. He was determined to see that Spina was alright. He ignored Lucifer and his suggestion of waking Gogeta, especially when Bernkastel volunteered to wake him herself.

Gogeta snored loudly, his tail tightening up under Bernkastel’s grip. However, the fusion remained unaffected by the motion and continued to soundly sleep on the bed as a snot bubble rapidly formed from his left nostril and popped within a second.

Medical Bay

The metal door shot up into the ceiling as Cayde entered into the room with the Breakers following. He kept a flat stare soon approaching the tank that housed Spina. As the group closed in, a normal human doctor stood next to Vegetto, who’s arms were crossed over his chest and his narrowed eyes studying the tank filled with bubbles.

“Vitals are normal?”

“Yes sir, elevated but normal. There’s nothing out of the ordinary with his biological scan; no viruses or illness.”

“Are the energy sensors picking anything up?”

“No but our systems haven been down since yesterday from the outburst. There could be an answer there but there’s nothing we could do to pick that information up.”

The doctor paused, glancing down at the data pad he held in his hands.

“Wait, now there’s nothing on the vitals.”

Cayde canted his head.

“As in they’re back to normal and we’re good right?”

The doctor shook his head, showing the blank datapad.

“No...as in...they’re not there. I’m getting nothing from the tank now.”

Cayde blinked, turning his head slowly towards the bubbling tank.

“Oh...that’s not good.”

Upon entering the Medical Bay, right away, Lucifer noticed the tank housing Spina is filled to the brim with bubbles. There were no movements that indicate that Spina may be alive or not, but Lucifer kept observing from the distance. “Hmm.” Lucifer mused as Lilith slithered around his neck. She is sensing something is off here, and letting the angel know what was going on. He decided to remain put for now, mainly because the doctors might object to him getting closer and messing with their equipment.

Soon after the doctor’s stated that the data on Spina’s vitals were no longer present, Lucifer made a devilish smile on the ordeal. He gently rubbed his chin, practically cackling at the ordeal of Cayde being slightly concern that Spina’s vitals were no longer being recorded in real time. “Oh dear, did poor Spina perish?” He made an off-color joke. Upon sensing what form of energy coming out of Spina—his eyes drifted away from the tank and looked elsewhere. Looking down, Lucifer noticed cracks forming underneath his dress shoes—and seems to have originated from Spina.

“Ah.” Narrowing his eyes but saying nothing more. He had backed away the main group that were presented now. “Vishdyne.” He whispered to himself, casting an invisible barrier around himself and Lilith.

Soon after, the bubbles within the tank started to expand rapidly like balloons. It scattered around like a raging hurricane, while leaving brief glimpse of the old Saiyan seen in the wake, as it was arrested due to the glass door. Unable to move freely, the bubbles started to pop one by one; leaving behind powerful shockwaves that rocked the Medical Bay as it sounds like explosions going off. 

Lucifer remained unfazed, although intrigued. Mainly because he'd prepared a barrier to protect himself from all the debris flying around--just so that his suit doesn't get dirty again.

The glass collapsed and shattered before being flung in all directions, the ground beneath and around the tank spontaneously formed cracks, which scattered across about like a web. In mere moments, the bubbles popped violently, unleashing enormous amount of power behind it. Anyone caught in it will either be pushed back or received some damage behind it as it happened all too quickly. The healing tank destroyed, various debris flung everywhere, and any major machinery near it was practically ruined because of this ordeal, but among the apparent small-scale destruction, Spina was crouching down towards the ground as the smoke clears away. 

Spina raised his head to straighten out his body. It was rare for Spina’s bare torso to be shown, aside from sleeping with little closet as possible during the night. He has scars around his body, and new ones forming due to the battle with Gogeta, most notably on his forehead, chin, neck and his back. In addition, the circular cracks he had during the Roya incident is still presented—its clear that it had not gone away, simply receded to the point that it most likely will not spread out again. His appearance had some changes: his hair color went from black to faded grey with white streaks at some parts; he developed more wrinkles that seemingly an indication of his “old age” and he’d developed fangs. He’d opened his eyes, his pupils glistened pure red, trailing along with the clouds of smoke briefly covered his face for moment. His eyes darted left to right as his tail sway back and forth to clear any remaining smoke that blocked his vision to see the others, although he is shown to be completely naked.

Raising his left arm, apparently formed as whole again, as he gripped his palm as hard as he could. “Where I am?” He said in a tone that wasn’t his usual one—this one was darker and more aggressive. “Have we been captured?” He said, raising his “energy” upon asking the question.

As Zenta approached the medical bay and glanced at the healing tank Spina was in, he said nothing as he calmly stared towards its direction. He was making his own conclusions based on what he saw in Spina's energy. Nothing was too out of the ordinary but he was basing it on the limitation of what he could actually see. Avalon, on the other hand, stared between his scroll and Spina, narrowing his eyes. He continued to scribble down things, unaware of Berserk trying to peer over his shoulder to peek.

No more vitals..? Zenta thought to himself. But I most definitely see energy inside him... How perplexing.

He felt an incredible energy surging within the tank but he was unable to physically see what was happening to Spina. All he saw and heard was the chaos unfolding before him. However, before he or Avalon had time to decipher anything, the glass tank holding Spina back shattered to pieces. The Beast held an arm in front of his chest to block any debris that came his way and Avalon was quick to hop out of the way. Once Spina was exposed to the world around him, Zenta's ears immediately perked upon sensing the new arm on Spina's body and the energy that flowed within it. While he cannot see any physical differences(scars) on Spina, the Saiyan's energy was enough to keep his attention. Zenta did not say anything at first and continued to watch Spina's every move, almost as if studying him in a similar fashion Lucifer did. For a brief moment, he glanced at Lucifer, almost as if he was curious to see what he would do. Yet, when Spina spoke, his energy rose. It was not the same energy he remembered associated with Spina. He remained quiet, keeping it to himself.

This energy... it is new. I see... something else. Zenta made a tiny frown. ...This is Spina?

"Well, what a pleasant surprise," Zenta began. "Welcome back Mr. Spina. Rest assured we have not been captured. Though, I must ask. Are you feeling well? You certainly had us worried."

Avalon, meanwhile, looked at Spina and back to his scroll, markings, symbols, and words disappearing from the scroll. His face brightened up, almost as if he hit a 'Eureka!' moment.

"Hot damn! My theory was right!" He said out loud. He spoke to no one in particular but he wrote down another thing on his scroll. "Looks like my scroll records only the truth! If I write a lie, it will simply fade away!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom