The Crescent Hunters Guild

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Aliens?” Excalik scratched his head. “Man, this is becoming a real drag…” He realized that one of the projections that Eowyn had shown him reference to such event. It could be a coincidence… but now, he’s becoming doubtful of his own belief that she might be lying.

He turns to Vala. “It doesn’t seem like Eowyn isn’t connecting licks with this alien guy, I think. Another thing that worries my boots is that she was able use ancient magic… I thought that stuff is just some old legend ruse, or at least, locked away?”

"As far as the meeting's members were aware of, the Solarian has no ties with anyone here on Booga. So for him to have any allegiance is a low probability seeing as he seems to be attacking indiscriminately. I don't think any specific MO's been pinned down other than vengeance for his master, if my memory's fresh." Valerie explained further, leaning against the counter. "Tell me more about this ancient magic, though."

"W-well, I don't know too much about it myself... but the necromancer said it's like magic that's apparently forbidden to use. I've never heard of a Paradican or any mage who can revive the dead... but what kind of other magic is there that seems so unnatural that they just sealed away any knowledge of it and just forgot about it?" Vala pondered. "That is, if Ancient Magic really is that sort of thing."

"Hmm... it sounds like something only a Paradican could really answer for you. Probably ones that are the highest of their society," Valerie said before sighing to herself. "I wish I could help, but the Desolate Lands has historically been a fan of using weapons of mass destruction rather than magic. Paradice seems like your best bet, but if it's as hidden as you say, I wouldn't be surprised if someone stashed some tomes of it around here. You technically can't be arrested here by any higher order after all."

"So what do we do? I can't imagine we walk around like a headless chicken with this girl running around." Excalik said.

"No, you can't. You'll need to try and figure out where she's really hiding from. Which might be difficult, but for an objective like hers, it's probably she'll be skulking around places that might be wartime leftovers," Valerie replied solemnly.

"She said we'd be in contact soon, didn't she?" Vala asked Excalik. "I'm not sure what that could imply, but knowing her, it's probably some kind of game where we need to follow her trail how she directs it if we want to confront her. It could be cryptic letters, riddles, even vague symbols that might appear before us. An eccentric like her can mean anything really."

"Until she makes it clear she's ready to come out for another tussle, for now just try and ask around when you go to other towns. Word gets around fast if there are monster attacks, so the same can be expected for something as unorthodox as a witch." Valerie stated. "But if she stays under the radar in other continents, you might have a harder time narrowing down where she might strike next."

"Considering she was leading along monsters to attack us in Grimsby Falls, we might have to keep a closer eye on towns susceptible to monsters or any other kind of strange mythos surrounding them," Vala pondered aloud, rubbing her chin in thought. "Eowyn was after Lord Belmont's heirloom weapons so who's to say she won't be looking for places that have similar valuables that the Dalv Tribe overlooks? I doubt they care about things like items for magical rituals or any of the sort. As far as she thinks, the Desolate Lands might be a treasure trove. One man's rubbish is another man's gold, they say."

Excalik nodded. “Eowyn seems to be pretty eager to play some more with us too. I wouldn’t put it pass her if she did what you described. That little honey seems to live off our ignorance to that kind of magic.” He was trying to think what kind of places that offered some treasures that are left from the war. Dalv Tribe seemingly have no interests in things that isn’t considered a valuable asset to their lifestyle.

“I remember a rumor that has a town has tons of flowers that are attractive to monsters.” Ecalik said. “Maybe that’s something she kicks around with?”

"Maybe, but it's anyone's guess if those monsters are of use to her. Is there anything magical about the place?" Vala asked. "Grimsby Falls had plenty to work with, but I figure her interests aren't the same as gaggles of monsters looking for a snack. She seems to prefer monsters with some level of sentience. Except for that... thing she summoned." She shuddered.

Valerie was reading through the papers and memos that Bronson left. "Hmm... apparently, that's the town Bronson left with the new recruit. They're dealing with a bit of a monster infestation."

The name here just says... Monster Hunter. Is that a pseudonym? She thought in confusion.

"No way! She's striking again already!?" Vala gritted her teeth before Valerie put up a hand to silence her.

"Perhaps not. Monster Hunter comes from that town, so surely he would have known if the problem was of a magical source. Especially if it were the work of a necromancer." Valerie explained. "And just before they took off, I overheard him explain that there are several locations he pinned down to have monster activity; except there hasn't been a notable pattern to them."

"M-Monster Hunter?" Vala stuttered.

"Yes. That's his name, apparently, but I presume it's merely to conceal his real identity."

"In any case, we could-"

"No," Valerie interrupted sternly. "If you're thinking about going to that town, forget it. In your conditions, you will only hinder the mission rather than help it. Monsters are no joke; they will take advantage of how exhausted you are. If they were easy to deal with as a rare occurrence, Monster Hunter wouldn't have taken Bronson along."

"B-but..."

"No buts. The only thing you two will do at the moment is rest until they return. I understand you don't want to wait, but the well-being of my guild members take priority," Valerie said solemnly. "A hot meal will do wonders. Muriel's got some nice and warm ready."

“No point fighting it, Vala. Let’s take the moment to rest our bones and flesh.” Excalik tried to comfort Vala. He was eager to get out there too, especially since Eowyn’s threat left an impression on him. “I can use a hot meal to snooze this belly of mines. Got any crackers and mincemeat and I’m good, partner.” He narrowed his eyes. “Oh, we also have a wisp that we encountered during our trip. We can keep the little critter, right?”​

"A wisp? As in a will-o-the wisp?" Valerie asked, cocking an eyebrow.

Vala silently tugged back her hood to show Wisp, who was sleeping soundly in the crook of her neck amd her scarf. 

"We found him out in the Belmont manor and he just stuck with us," Vala said.

"I see... a bit surprising since some folks say those little guys are the kinds of spirits that lead exhausted travelers off the path by thinking they're lanterns." Valerie replied, looking at it curiously. "But that certainly isn't the case. Maybe you caught one of the kinds that might do you some good instead. Grandfather told me about little wisps that can lead you to all sorts of treasures... never thought they'd be real after all." She gave a shrug with a shoulder. "Why not? He might be able to help you sniff out some evil vibes waiting to get the jump on you or something like that. Though, I fear his little fire might go out if you let him roam around in the rainy areas, so feel free to use some of the old oil lanterns we have layin' around as his little house for now."

Vala was slightly surprised at her letting them keep Wisp, but managed to crack a smile. "Thanks. I guess I could use some real food too."

"No problem. Muriel's upstairs in the mess hall with the meat stew. Don't keep her waiting or else it'll get cold."

Vala nodded and excitedly jogged up the wooden staircase, beckoning for Excalik to follow her. "I'm starving!"

Excalik was happy that Vala said they can keep the little wisp. “Well, if she gotten any beer, that my belly is going to be full tonight…!” Excalik rushes upstairs, following behind Vala. “Gonna get me a big pot.”

"This isn't a pub, but I won't turn it down if they happen to have some..." Vala said as they climbed the staircase leading to the mess hall.

"Oh my! I hope ye weren't thinkin' of havin' a glass. Bronson drank it all and we've got to brew summore down in the cellar." The voice of a middle-aged woman rang out from an open window of the kitchen. She sported a head of gray hair under a bandana and she wore a ruffly apron over her clothes. "But I'm happy to serve as much stew as ya want tonight! It's nice having some youngins over for once. We haven't had any newcomers in a long time!" The woman said as she came out through the kitchen's doorway holding a large pot. "My name's Muriel! I'm the Guild cook. Why, you must be Vala and Excalik."

"I g-guess it's easy to tell, huh?" Vala asked, taking a wooden bowl sheepishly. She forgot the guild was actually fairly small despite the roomy building.

"I didn't even realize we have more people here. Though, I didn't exactly explored this place since we instantly got our first mission." Excalik sniffed the scent in the air. "Oh man... that aroma... you're already cooking, Muriel?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom