Port Graham [Original]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Whitey picked up the figurine, it started to glow brightly; suddenly a flash of light brighten the area quickly. 

---

Cement was working on a paper-sheet, which details the estimated amount of time to rebuild this entire port. “If we get enough Californite tomorrow, we can rebuild this within a few days. Oh, and looks like the medical teams are finally arriving to pick up the rest of the people and take them to Hero City City for treatments…” He closes his eyes and gritted his eyes the moment the flash of light appeared. “What in tarnation?!” 

---

As the flash of light disperse, a tall, medium build man appeared before the young woman. His facial expression seemingly glooms as he looked around. “Where am I…?” He asked, confused about his whereabouts.

"Wahh!!" Whitney exclaimed in surprise, unaware of where the little toy went and how the man suddenly appeared before her. "Y-you're in Port Graham, sir. Are you lost? I didn't see you under the rubble. You're not hurt are you?" She stood up and immediately walked around him to look for any signs of injury. "Cause if you are, they have a couple doctors coming here for everyone else."

The tall man turned to the young woman. “No… I’m not hurt…” He responded. “I don’t remember being here at all… the last thing I remember was being in some cold, windy place… nothing but whiteness and a mysterious voice invaded my mind… telling me to do something.” He grabbed his head, making up his mane-like hair, trying to recall what transpired. “Damn… it hurts…” He crouched downward—still taller than Whitney despite of this—in pain of trying to remember. He looks up to Whitney.

“Port Graham… I was supposed to do something here… but now my memories… they have scattered.”

"Well, there was a big ruckus that happened, and a bunch of buildings got destroyed in the process. I'm actually kind of foggy on the details myself... I remember there was a robot on the loose that totally wrecked our diner! I kinda blacked out after that cause I fell under all the rubble. Maybe you hit your head from all the stuff falling and forgot?" Whitney scratched her cheek. "Well, I guess it wouldn't be of much use if you remembered now anyway. There's nothing to do here with everyone trying to get the place fixed up... And that also means I won't have a job for the next couple of days..." She trailed off before getting an idea. "I take it you don't live here? If my apartment complex is still intact, I don't mind letting you crash on my couch for a while until you can get back on your feet."

Broly stare at Whitney for a moment before nodding in agreement. “Alright… take me to your quarters…” It is beats better than wondering around aimlessly for days on in. “Perhaps my memory can return if I get enough rest.”

"Yay! I haven't had anyone stay at my place in forever! I'm used to eating dinner all by myself and everything, but now I have someone to share this cake with! It's kinda big just for me and I wouldn't want it to get all dry as leftovers." Whitney excitedly brandished her boxed-up souvenir from the cake shop in Hero City City. "Let's get goin' then!" Without hesitation, she took Broly's hand and began to pull him in the direction of her apartment complex. "It's been such a crazy day, I forgot I haven't eaten anything since early this morning. We'll probably end up with a few power surges, so I should probably cook up whatever I have in the fridge before any of it goes bad..." She wasn't as adept at cooking as the frycooks at the diner, but she was sure she could whip up a good dinner that wasn't instant noodles for the fifth time.

Broly sweated when Whitney suddenly grabbed his hand and pulled him. “A meal… I do have the desire for food… this hunger strike me. I can eat anything…” He looked around the damaged town, the abundance of debris, the amount of people being rounded by the Heroes Organization Medical team. 

“Who are they…? They dress differently than you or the rest of the people being gathered by them…” His memories continue to be fuzzy.

"Eh? Oh. I think those guys are the doctors that Hero City City sent out to help people who got hurt," Whitney explained. "They have some really great medicine. It made me feel much better the minute I drank it, and I was pinned under rubble for probably an hour! Drywall is a lot heavier than it looks." Approaching her apartment complex, which looked to have taken some heavy damage on the roofing and towards the end, Whitney made a concerned look. "Oh yeah-- how rude of me -- my name is Whitney. What's yours, if your memory isn't too bad?" She asks Broly.

“B-broly…” Broly said immediately. “It seems that I can still recall my own name, so I guess I’m on the right track on memory lane.” He looked at the apartment complex in ruins. “This is where you live…? Whoever did this seems… strong…” Broly grabbed his head once more, seemingly recalling something for a moment. “Strong…” But his memory was interrupted when his stomach made a loud curling sound. “Seems that I’m hungry… let’s head inside.”

"I guess so, but whoever had the idea of destroying our town must be a total jerk!" Whitney said angrily as she entered the complex, fuming at the recollection. "The Port's out of the way and doesn't have anything special about it-- heck, we're probably the most quiet town in all of Empire State! What reason would someone have to hurt so many innocent people that were minding their business like any other day!? Geez... Well, I guess the heroes they sent out to deal with the problem fixed it for now. But that means I won't have a job for a few days at least. I'd just get in the way of things being fixed up, and I would feel bad about leaving you here on your own." After leading Broly up some flights of stairs, they arrived at her apartment. The lights appeared to flicker every few moments or so, indicating that electricity was only barely stable-- an outage seemed fairly imminent.

"Make yourself at home!" Whitney said as she unlocked her door to open it, immediately heading for her kitchen nook. "Let's see what's in the fridge, since I don't want any perishables getting gross. Hmm, there's milk, orange juice... I've got a lot of raw meat I need to get rid of if we'll be without electricity tonight, so I guess we can have a fancy taco night?"

Broly looked around the room, observing the state of the ruined apartment. It gave him quite a nostalgia feeling, causing him to be out of it. However, he came back to reality the moment Whitney brought up tacos, causing him to give her strange looks.

“Tacos? What is that? Some sort of plant?” Broly asked.

"Not exactly. It's not too common around places outside Empire State, I bet-- a taco is made of a flour tortilla. You fold it in half and toast it so it holds its shape, and then you can fill it with meat and all kinds of stuff. It's quick and easy! The only veggies I usually put are olives, lettuce, and tomatoes. Some people like to put cheese and sour cream on it." Whitney explained as she started to get out all the ingredients. "That's the fun in it, you get to pick the toppings, and even the meat sometimes. But I always buy the taco shells premade. It's a life saver! See?" She takes a box of the taco kit out from her cupboard and held it up for him to see since she was much shorter than him. "Though, if you put too much stuff, it gets a little messy. I like to put taco sauce on mine for a spicy kick."

Broly observed closely of the strange foods presented to him. “What a strange way to prepare foods.” He said but he was curious of how it looked at the end. “Show me the results of these… tacos.” His stomach made a more curling sounds after Whitney explained all the delicate items that come together to preserved such a meal.

One of the thing that visibly confused Broly is the premade tacos shells. "Premade foods... such a thing exist in this... world?"

"Well, yeah, but I don't think they're nearly as good as homemade stuff. Premade is full of fillers and stuff that's bad for you, so I try to avoid it even though they're cheaper most of the time." Whitney trailed off. "But I promise you'll like em! I can cook the meat, and you can help me out with the vegetables." She started warming up the stovetop for the meats. "We just need to figure out how much is enough to feed us both... I may as well just cook all the meat I have on hand." Whitney shrugged. "The most I'll probably eat is 3, but you look like you'd eat everything in my fridge! You must be a pro wrestler or something to have that much muscle," she joked with a smile.

Broly observed the vegetables lay out in front of him by Whitney. “Cut the vegetables?” Whitney’s task confused the man at first, but it did not take long for him to understand that she meant to reduce the leafy object into smaller bits.

After a second of thinking, Broly decided to pick up a carrot to cut—though he is not using any knife, but rather, he decided to use his hands. A sentimental but frenzy feeling swelled up in an immediate reaction upon looking at the orange vegetable, angrily squishing it in his hard grasp. Carrot bits leaked out in between his fingers, onto the plate as sweats began formed around his head.

=====

“Alright… that’s the last of it… now I just need to call in the Heroes Organization about rebuilding this place. Majority of the people here is being transferred to Hero City City right now…” Cement sat down on a rock. “I better check my messages to see what the status of hos complex…is”

"Hm?" Whitney heard the noise and turned around from the meat she had been cooking, first catching the mess Broly made with his hands. "Oh, geez... I guess that one was rotten. That's okay, I should've told you which vegetables to cut..." she sheepishly said when she saw his expression before her eyes widened with an idea. "Ooh! We can make guacamole to top off the tacos! You can mash all the ingredients together in no time." Whitney dug into the fridge and placed several avocados, tomatos, garlic cloves, and cilantro into a large bowl and placed it in front of Broly. "Just try not to break the bowl, okay?"

Yeesh, he's got a scary look on his face... she sweated a bit.

Broly relaxed afterwards, staring at the bowl. “…Understood.” 

Broly carefully smashed the vegetables without breaking the bowl and gave it to Whitney. “There… I’ve finished.” However, Broly pinched his nose after taking a swift of the garlic. “What a foul smell… do people actually eat this?”

"You think garlic is bad, I'd hate to see your opinion on raw onions!" Whitney joked. "But I swear it tastes better than it smells. Garlic bread is the best thing since... sliced bread!" She chopped up the lettuce and tomatoes into tiny pieces before setting them aside while the meat cooked a nice brown. "I hate the way garlic lasts so long on the tongue though... you could brush your mouth a hundred times and it will never leave!" 

After the meat finished cooking, Whitney assembled large shells made of corn-flour and set them out on the counter. "Alright, now here's the fun part! We can put whatever we want in any amount here!" She made hers with all the things they chopped up earlier, putting guacamole on last. "Best of all, you can just eat them with your hands, so there's no dishes to wash."

"I see... what a strange way to prepare such a meal, yet, an efficient way to eat." Broly commented on. He grabbed several chopped veggies and place it on the shells, along with the meat. He stared at it for a couple of minutes, reminiscence of the beauty and its shape. The smell pierced his nose, despite complaining the garlic smelt foul, it did help the fragrance to become a stronger force that's highlight the food's quality. He took a bite and the explosion of flavors riddled his mouth.

"T-this is delicious!" Broly said, shoving the tacos into his mouth, after two bites, swallowing it down. "More..!"

"See, I told you it's good." Whitney said triumphantly, taking tiny bites of her own. "We should see about heading over to Futuropolis and get you some proper clothes while you stay here and get yourself sorted out," she suggested through a mouthful of food. "They have really good places to eat, too, I heard. The roads for the trains will probably be closed until tomorrow at least."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom