The Strongest
ADMINISTRATOR
Pronouns
He/Him
[video=youtube]

[align=center]Nintendo Swtich​
Release Date: March 2017​

What did you guys think about the reveal of the Nintendo Switch? :think:

A little concerned that it'll end up being even more underpowered than the Wii U in the long run if it's not capable of A LOT more than they showed off, but so long as it has at least about AS good of a graphics card as the PS4 and/or Xbox One I think it'll have potential to be a big hit, as I don't think we've seen a product quite like this before that's a complete console/handheld hybrid.

I'd like to see more test runs or demos in the future (perhaps the next E3 conference? idk), I'm hopeful that this will be "THE" system to buy. I took a raincheck on the WiiU, but this design/hybrid system looks innovative, at least to me. (Lord knows I wanted something like this back when City Folk was out haha). And it seems compact, doesn't look horribly clunky in structure.

I definitely am interested in seeing what else it can do. I live in a fairly Nintendo-dominant household, maybe this will start a tug-o-war between me and my brother over whether to get the PS4 or the Switch haha

Cxs0XohXcAQypsX.jpg:large

As much as I'd like to see the Switch be successful, I'm not sure how it'll square up against the PS4 or Xbone, ESPECIALLY the Pro and Scorpio. Nowadays, the market is biased on what looks the best, and already "comparing" these consoles to what should be a next-gen "console" (I refuse to acknowledge it as such) has me concerned about the power this device will hold. Do note, however, thar the Switch is powered by the NVIDIA Tegra processor, which is used in tablets. It definitely holds merit in being innovative, but I feel like it should be marketed as a next-gen handheld successor to the 3DS, not a console successor to the Wii-U.

JamesYTP said:
.....I cannot believe Breath of the Wild is being delayed again.

Was it ever promised it would released on launch day or it was the assumption for everyone?

I'm curious of how Pokemon Stars is getting listed here. This would be the first "console" game GameFreak gave ever done and if Sun and Moon is anything to go by (literally selling 7.2 copies within 21 days), it's going to be massive. If the rumored price is around 200~250, that would be very favorable for everyone.

Whelp, if Pokemon Stars is gonna come out next year, I gotta save up for the Switch AND Pokemon. Help me pls.

I don't see a problem in the Switch's graphics processor, because that's not what sells a console. what makes people want to buy a console is the unique games that can't be played anywhere else. I'm estimating it to be weaker than the original PS4, because having that power on a battery and with inadequate cooling is not possible.
Nintendo isn't directly competing with Sony and Microsoft, they are offering a new concept. Whether it works or not remains to be seen. 
A consoles direction towards better graphics is its slow death, because if that's the deciding factor then might as well just get a PC. Consoles can't beat a PC when it comes to graphics. I think Nintendo did the right move. While Sony and Microsoft with their console refresh mid generation are showing people that buying a PC is better.

IKR, there's really only a few people who care too much about having a super powered system and those are probably the same people who buy those 1 TB hard drives for consoles that they'll probably never use half of :p. I think they'll do well if it's offered at a significantly lower price than PS4 and Xbox One. Wii U's only 50 bucks cheaper than PS4 and Xbox One and is a full generation behind them, the Wii was like 150 bucks cheaper when it came out and sold like hot cakes despite being a generation behind.

JamesYTP said:
IKR, there's really only a few people who care too much about having a super powered system and those are probably the same people who buy those 1 TB hard drives for consoles that they'll probably never use half of :p. I think they'll do well if it's offered at a significantly lower price than PS4 and Xbox One. Wii U's only 50 bucks cheaper than PS4 and Xbox One and is a full generation behind them, the Wii was like 150 bucks cheaper when it came out and sold like hot cakes despite being a generation behind.

I don't know man. Games these days are like 50GB and eats up harddrive like crazy when you buy a lot of them lol. I just hope the Switch doesn't have that problem. :wagh:

ShineCero said:
I don't know man. Games these days are like 50GB and eats up harddrive like crazy when you buy a lot of them lol. I just hope the Switch doesn't have that problem. :wagh:

Really? Most games I've seen on console at least are generally 40 or less, 20-40 range.  At 50 gigs I could see an issue for sure after a while. Given the number of Hard Drive complaints they got on Wii U I'd imagine they'd give it a more robust hard drive, although if you use physical copies Wii U doesn't actually install the games and if Switch doesn't either that shouldn't be too big of a problem unless your big on downloading games....which would be totally valid since SD cards can be prone to getting lost (I know, my Pokemon X has been missing for two years ever since my Dad decided to poke at it like an idiot and drop it somewhere on me lol)

Hmm... now storage might be an issue on the Switch. It uses a storage technology that is not cheap compared to HDD. The reason is to fit inside the small space. But overall I'm positive about the Switch.

My main interest is how the Switch will use hard copies. Will they be CDs or will they be something new? I assume that they'll be CDs but I wouldn't mind seeing something new. I would love to see what Nintendo has to offer. However, with the Switch, I'm rather excited. I just hope that it can be a lot better than previous things they have sold.

I think it has already been confirmed that they are "cartridges". CD's or optical media would not offer pleasing loading times, nor would traditional sized ones fit the advertised size(physical size). Cartridges using flash memory similar to SD cards on cameras and mobile phones is more reasonable, plus each game can use the storage capacity it requires.

Tadashi said:
I think it has already been confirmed that they are "cartridges". CD's or optical media would not offer pleasing loading times, nor would traditional sized ones fit the advertised size(physical size). Cartridges using flash memory similar to SD cards on cameras and mobile phones is more reasonable, plus each game can use the storage capacity it requires.

Yup. I think it's a good move, plus this is the first time I think since the Nintendo 64 that they are using cartridges, right? Whether intentional or not, that's pretty cool. 

Has it been confirmed that the Nintendo Switch are backward compatible with WiiU/3DS games?

JamesYTP said:

Looks like Breath of the Wild is coming in March... for the United States. The rest of the world might face a delay.

There are reports that Nintendo Switch is not as powerful as the Playstation 4 and Xbone. Don't know why any of that means, but can this be considered a negative point for Nintendo?

ShineCero said:
JamesYTP said:

Looks like Breath of the Wild is coming in March... for the United States. The rest of the world might face a delay.

There are reports that Nintendo Switch is not as powerful as the Playstation 4 and Xbone. Don't know why any of that means, but can this be considered a negative point for Nintendo?

These consoles are basically computers, but computers made for a specific task. The PS4 and XBONE have greater compute power than the Switch. But that's to be expected given the Switch's ability to be portable.

I wouldn't consider the lower computer power of the Switch a negative because it doesn't compete with the other consoles on the same turf. There are two things Nintendo is selling you with the Switch, the exclusive Switch games that you will need a Switch to play and the portability aspect of the Switch. As long as the games are smooth and responsive then that will be enough. I'm not worried about the Switch from a compute power point of view honestly.

ShineCero said:
JamesYTP said:

Good, thank God that was just a rumor. Also I thought it was previously confirmed that it was in fact gonna use SD cards and wasn't going to be backwards compatible.

Back
Top Bottom