Nintendo Switch

The Nintendo Switch online service is launching on September 18th.

The Nintendo Switch’s online service is launching in less than a week. In a tweet today, Nintendo revealed that the service will be available on September 18th, and users will be able to download a seven-day trial from the Switch store before committing to a subscription.

Much like Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network, the Switch’s new service will require users to pay to play certain games online, including notable Nintendo titles like Splatoon 2, Arms, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It’s also the only way for Switch owners to get cloud backup for game saves. To sweeten the deal, subscribers will also get access to online-enabled NES games, which will include 20 titles at launch, such as Super Mario Bros. 3 and The Legend of Zelda. Nintendo says new games will be added “regularly.”

The subscription will cost $3.99 a month, $7.99 for a three-month bundle, or $19.99 for an entire year. There’s also a yearly family option available for $34.99, which provides access for up to seven family members. Nintendo says that it will be providing more details, along with information about upcoming games, during a Nintendo Direct event tomorrow at 6PM ET. You can watch it right here. 

Nintendo have confirmed some details for their Nintendo Switch Online service. This service is a paid subscription that is required to play Nintendo Switch games online with other players. This includes Pokkén Tournament DX, Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! & Let's Go, Eevee! and all future titles. For $19.99/€19.99/£17.99 a year, from September 19th 2018 UTC, you'll get the subscription as well as various benefits. There will also be a 7 day trial period starting the same day. Full details will be revealed in tomorrow's Nintendo Direct.

Yup the online service has started. I got the family plan one because my sister plays it sometimes too. I actually dont know what to think of the nes games because i dont understand the controls..need to look those up. XD
Other than that im fine with it.
I just hope theyll add themes and maybe streaming apps like YT or Netflix but thats not really important rn.

What??? They still haven't added YouTube or Netflix yet? What about Twitch? :thinking:

the subscription fee announcement must've been what was causing a ton of discourse on twitter about it then, huh? I was seeing a lot of tweets from Splatoon players about how it was kinda a bad move to make them suddenly pay for online that has been free so far

I don't have a Switch so I can't really sympathize with the tweets, I just know that the subscription service has caused a huge stir online for some reason.

But I'm here to SCREAM ABOUT THE NEW MAINLINE ANIMAL CROSSING GAME COMING NEXT YEAR
screen-shot-2018-09-13-at-3-38-19-pm.png

I've been sleepin on getting a Switch up until this point and now I KNOW I NEED IT JUST FOR THIS GAEM
hqdefault.jpg

Hope we get a trailer for it soon... I need to know the new stuff it'll have!!!!

@"LoopyPanda" Most likely. I think a lot of the people who were complaining about Splatoon and Online were probably kids who can't pay for the subscription.
 And then you have another group of people who blame Nintendo for not using a server for Splatoon because of the frequent disconnects that happen. So those guys dont wanna pay for a lacking system that ALSO doesnt support Cloud Saves. So yeah Splatoon people were extra bitter with the Online Services. XD

I wishhh i could get into Animal Crossing. I got New Leaf recently but i just cant get into it..but i love the idea and the characters.. I hope it grows on me.

Also! You can use your Gold Points to buy the Online Subscription too.

Then again, Nintendo has been on record, multiple times, that the free service will end once they got their Online stuff up and ready. So they shouldn't be too shock, or in fact, surprised since they repeatedly beat over people's heads that it's going to cost them once it launched. 

I understand that people don't want to pay online, but other than that, it feels like their complaints falls flat.

Ploep said:
@"LoopyPanda" Most likely. I think a lot of the people who were complaining about Splatoon and Online were probably kids who can't pay for the subscription.
 And then you have another group of people who blame Nintendo for not using a server for Splatoon because of the frequent disconnects that happen. So those guys dont wanna pay for a lacking system that ALSO doesnt support Cloud Saves. So yeah Splatoon people were extra bitter with the Online Services. XD

I wishhh i could get into Animal Crossing. I got New Leaf recently but i just cant get into it..but i love the idea and the characters.. I hope it grows on me.

Also! You can use your Gold Points to buy the Online Subscription too.

Probably. My parents would get pretty miffed with me if they had to pay to use the game I just bought for its online features... they're already annoyed they have to pay for PSN so me and my brother can play a good 70% of our library. :lmao: Not sure if the subscription for PS4 was already set up on launch day, but if it was, that might have been a surprise to people who don't spend their time reading gaming journals or even a cursory glance at Nintendo's announcements other than games being announced. (Like me lol) It's died down now, but it was pretty heated a couple weeks ago XD

New Leaf is a bit lacking compared to older titles, and hasn't particularly aged well. If you like having more activities than decorating or collecting items, I would prefer City Folk or Wild World despite being older titles. Population Growing is widely emulated these days, but I'm not sure where you could get a gamecube emulator if emuparadise is no longer around. I also prefer their music and mechanics.

Do you guys thing the Online Subscription hurts games such as Mario Kart, Splatoon and the sort? In terms of people getting online and whatnot. It seems that more online gaming on the Switch had seen a decrease in player base than before (regardless of their skills). :thonk:

I still stand by what I said that people should already be aware; now, whether or not Nintendo should charged for it is another case.

Considering they didn't force people to pay money back when Nintendo WFC was still around for the Wii and WiiU systems, and online play accessibility wasn't based on fees until this year for the Switch, it's obvious they're just adopting the same business practices that PSN and XBone's online services utilize. I remember playing Brawl using the WFC feature and it was AWFUL compared to today's online experience. Constant lagging, your moves didn't always come out in time so you'd get whacked by someone, latency issues, etc. With online nowadays, it's far less common to experience this, but also highly depends on the game's dev company, server respondence, etc. I think there's a trade-off for everything, and this is simply paying for a good online experience (now whether or not the game's performance itself is up to par is another can of worms; subscriptions pay for any and all online features, not just for that 1 network you play on for Splattoon)

I think it's kind of sleazy, but in retrospect this was to be expected and really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone when Wifi has become such a commodity these days. They're simply capitalizing it like the other big game console companies to stay competitive with them. I think it's cheaper than PSN's subscription fees as well, but I'm unsure if it's any cheaper in the long term vs a monthly basis. Like anything else, video games are a luxury, not a necessity. (Brand new games cost a week's worth of meals anyway, so...)

But even so, surely Nintendo has a pretty expansive library of games that can be played offline, no? I can't imagine every single game on the E-Shop requires online subscription to be playable. That would be absurd!

Nintendo has enough offline single players games, besides games like Paladins and Fortnite etc are still free to play.

I think a lot of people did not buy the online sub.. but either mostly because theyd rather wait it out to see if its worth it.. or because its their way of resisting against the idea of the subscription. I bet there will be a huge boom once Pokemon and Smash come out though. Kids will probably also ask for the sub if they cant cant pay for it themselves. xD

True, I just hope Pokemon VGC don't get hit with this because of the online subscription.:think:

Also, you guys heard of the upcoming new version of the Switch? Ploep shown me this the other day (well, days): 

It's probably going to be a Switch Mini; essentially, a dockless, smaller Switch and the controllers aren't detachable.

I think they wont come out with it so soon tho, mightve been rumors. It would be weird for them to bring an updated version out when theyre releasing so many different bundles systems.

Also just a heads up, the Switch finally has Youtube on it!

Good day they added YouTube onto the Switch, hopefully, YouTubers can upload their gaming videos directly from to Switch to YouTube without much of a hassle.

I wonder if other things such as Netflix, Twitch and such will make their way on there? :thonk:

If the Switch support Youtube now, maybe I can upload myself playing Taiko Drum Master. I'm not a pro but I'm really good in one song, so maybe I can pretend I'm a pro?  :maybe: It's a super fun game and I recommend it to anyone who loves a good rhythm game.

I think netflix will come eventually.. I've also seen that a comic book app is coming to the Switch on Monday.. its called Inkypen.

Yeah! I just saw that Inkypen is coming to the app and allows you to read thousands of comics/mangas online, which is cool. 7.99 is a sweet deal; I wonder if that what prompt Shonen Jump to make their content free? :think:

ShineCero said:
Yeah! I just saw that Inkypen is coming to the app and allows you to read thousands of comics/mangas online, which is cool. 7.99 is a sweet deal; I wonder if that what prompt Shonen Jump to make their content free? :think:

What if you have to pay for specific titles like Shonen Jump and other popular ones? 7.99 will add up!  :wagh:

Hmm did you guys hear? Apparently the VR Labo kit will work with Mario Oddessy and Zelda  BotW :O

But I wonder how thatd work when youhave to keep the vr thingy on your eyes while playing.

Funny that my little sister bought me one of those Labo thing. It's the robot mechanic, so I'm might try building one today or tomorrow, depending on my schedule.  :sunman:

Back
Top Bottom