Nintendo Switch

The hardware is vastly different, it can't be backwards compatible even if they wanted it to be.
Using SD cards means a user could potentially insert said SD card in a computer and erase the game on it. So I doubt they would go that route.

Tadashi said:
ShineCero said:
JamesYTP said:
.....I cannot believe Breath of the Wild is being delayed again.

Looks like Breath of the Wild is coming in March... for the United States. The rest of the world might face a delay.

There are reports that Nintendo Switch is not as powerful as the Playstation 4 and Xbone. Don't know why any of that means, but can this be considered a negative point for Nintendo?

These consoles are basically computers, but computers made for a specific task. The PS4 and XBONE have greater compute power than the Switch. But that's to be expected given the Switch's ability to be portable.

I wouldn't consider the lower computer power of the Switch a negative because it doesn't compete with the other consoles on the same turf. There are two things Nintendo is selling you with the Switch, the exclusive Switch games that you will need a Switch to play and the portability aspect of the Switch. As long as the games are smooth and responsive then that will be enough. I'm not worried about the Switch from a compute power point of view honestly.

Ah, I see. I've seen people from various media sites making a stink about the Switch not being as "powerful as the other consoles" and therefore, games such as Elder Scroll will not run well with it or citing that "this is the reason why the WiiU failed".

People try to apply PC comparisons to consoles, but it doesn't work the same way exactly. 

I'm no expert, but from what I red and heard about the Wii U's fail there are two reasons.
Reason one was because when it lunched there were no games for it, so early adopters ended up with dead weight for the first few months, or maybe it was no important games, not sure but you get the idea.
Second reason was because of Nintendo's marketing, apparently many people thought the Wii U was an addition or a controller for the Wii, they didn't know it was a totally different console.

The Wii U was less powerful that's true, but you can't play Mario Kart elsewhere.
Now Nintendo are known for making the best out of their hardware, so even if it's less powerful their games will be optimized so that they are playable. 

About Skyrim. That's an old title, so it shouldn't be too hard to run. But I hear something about the Switch, when it's portable it will be less powerful(this is not a surprising thing if it were true). Maybe Skyrim in portable mode is not very smooth? I don't know, bethesda doesn't seem to be saying much about Skyrim on the Switch so I guess we will have to wait and see.

What I know about Breath of the Wild's delay, it's because of translating to other languages. Apparently English is all done and ready but they want to have a global lunch with all languages ready. It's taking longer than anticipated due to the game being so huge. Or so they say. The chance of a further delay is slim, but could still happen.

Tadashi said:
People try to apply PC comparisons to consoles, but it doesn't work the same way exactly. 

I'm no expert, but from what I red and heard about the Wii U's fail there are two reasons.
Reason one was because when it lunched there were no games for it, so early adopters ended up with dead weight for the first few months, or maybe it was no important games, not sure but you get the idea.
Second reason was because of Nintendo's marketing, apparently many people thought the Wii U was an addition or a controller for the Wii, they didn't know it was a totally different console.

The Wii U was less powerful that's true, but you can't play Mario Kart elsewhere.
Now Nintendo are known for making the best out of their hardware, so even if it's less powerful their games will be optimized so that they are playable. 

About Skyrim. That's an old title, so it shouldn't be too hard to run. But I hear something about the Switch, when it's portable it will be less powerful(this is not a surprising thing if it were true). Maybe Skyrim in portable mode is not very smooth? I don't know, bethesda doesn't seem to be saying much about Skyrim on the Switch so I guess we will have to wait and see.

What I know about Breath of the Wild's delay, it's because of translating to other languages. Apparently English is all done and ready but they want to have a global lunch with all languages ready. It's taking longer than anticipated due to the game being so huge. Or so they say. The chance of a further delay is slim, but could still happen.

Damn, I was not aware people assumed WiiU was just an extension of the Wii. Thanks for the insight! Hopefully the Switch won't have this sort of problem. 

You're on the money about widely beloved games such as Mario and Pokemon are only available on Nintendo Hardware. So I'm sure they can bring out the best of the game regardless of "power".  Heck, Pokemon Sun and Moon managed to increased the sales of 3DS massively during it's release, so I'm sure Nintendo won't repeat the same mistake of not having games out for it during it's release.

I believe this is the reason why ORAS and Sun/Moon were released later for European releases (aside from being punished for leaking games early).

I think cost might've played a factor in Wii U honestly. The Wii demonstrated people will buy a console that's a generation behind if it'd at a significantly lower cost and if it had a good gimmick, the Wii cost 250 USD at launch compared to the 800 for PS3 and 400 for Xbox 360 and had games that were 10 bucks cheaper. Wii U was only 50 bucks cheaper than it's competitors. Having the exclusives helps them a lot sometimes, but they had a competitively powered console with Gamecube and sold only 20 million.

So now we know everything about the Switch. I love the idea of the controllers. Watch the beginning of the presentation to see how the controller works.
[video=youtube]

The translator is definitely won’t be called again when he’s doing another voice-over  :maybe:

Here’s what I thought about the presentation of the Switch.

First off, I love how people are shitting on Nintendo because the Switch isn’t a super high-tech console as with the Playstation 4 and the Xbone. Honestly, I could give less of a fuck about its competing against the other two systems. As long it has a good playable library of games and runs well, that’s all that matters.

Secondly, the price. I was on the money that it would fall between $250 and $300. That’s definitely the “sweet spot” – especially with all the shit it comes with. Only thing disappointing is the prices of games being 60 dollars. Then again, why complained when Australia and Canada paid more than the US does. PS4 was literally 400 fucking bucks (as stated the same for the goddamn Pro) when it first launched and didn’t get a price drop until 2015 for 50 dollars off. Price is not a deal breaker for this case.

Thirdly, the gimmicks and features it has is very interesting. I like the call-back to the successful Wii console being implemented in unique ways. So I’m definitely curious to see how this will work with the public and if adversities correctly, can get a lot of people to jumped ship.

I also noticed the lack of browser on the Nintendo Switch when I look on the site for more information. Looks like Nintendo learned their lesson when many people were using it in order to hack the 3DS and WiiU. Only people bitching about it are pirates.
Nintendo’s Online Services is now a paid-subscription. I’m curious of how this is going to affect Pokémon (hopefully, there’s a chance that online for Pokémon is always free...!). I like how everyone is bitching and whining about the online services being payable now. I honestly wasn’t surprised about this outcome. Though the information regarding that seems to be questionable.

Now, here’s my disappointment:

The controllers are way over-priced. It should be like 40 bucks, not 80 dollars. Game-Rentals should be unlimited in similar vein of PSNow, not for a single month (meaning, once you get that free game… when the month ends, it disappears). The usages of a smartphone app in order to use voice-chat is stupid. MiiVerse and Streetpass not transferring over to the Switch is a loss.
Overall, I’m satisfied of what I saw. I’ll pick up most likely at the end of the year then I’m pretty sure it’s already sold out everywhere (Nintendo only planned about 2 million units if I recall correctly).

I’m also laughing of how people are complaining about the launch titles when PS4 had crapped launch games when it first release. At least unlike the PS4, it has exclusive and recognizable franchise such as Breath of the Wild and Super Bomberman.

Super Bomberman is an interesting game.

Also the controller has a lot of "tech" in it, I would argue more than the PS4 console itself. All the sensors crammed in that little thing is amazing.

About the subscription, Microsot stared it, Snony followed them, and now Nintendo wants to do the same. A place where they can get money consistently.

[align=center][video=youtube]

Yeah, it makes since for Nintendo to go Paid Subscription eventually down the line. Though, I hope they renew their stance of having the game for only a month. :think:

The online services thing isn't surprising, they were the last to go there. I may be one of only like 5 people to say this but I'll actually miss browser support if it's gone, a lot of the time I'll use my Wii U as a tablet when I'm too lazy to go to the desktop or someone else is using it. Other than that it looks very nice! A lot of 3rd party devs are willing to give it a chance, I like that it can be played a number of different ways too. I've gone for every Nintendo system since N64 and this'll be no exception.

Yeah, I have high hopes for the Switch. Though, I wonder if the Nintendo Switch will also replace the 3DS or getting it's own successor?
https://vid.me/oQkO

Looks like someone got the Nintendo Switch early and my god, that looks clean as fuck :pimp:

I'll wait for a while before I buy the Switch. There seemed to be a lot of problems with it at first week's launch-- like the little caddy scratching the screen of the Switch handheld screenie, the joystick pieces latching on and refusing to come off, dead pixels, etc. Then again, I've never bought a system the same month it was released. Hopefully they fix these issues and QA pulls through because these are things that a console should not be getting complaints for during the first month.

Breath of the Wild seems to be a big hit though.

The cartridge tasting meme though? You can't make this stuff up sometimes honestly...  :-/

LoopyPanda said:
I'll wait for a while before I buy the Switch. There seemed to be a lot of problems with it at first week's launch-- like the little caddy scratching the screen of the Switch handheld screenie, the joystick pieces latching on and refusing to come off, dead pixels, etc. Then again, I've never bought a system the same month it was released. Hopefully they fix these issues and QA pulls through because these are things that a console should not be getting complaints for during the first month.

Breath of the Wild seems to be a big hit though.

The cartridge tasting meme though? You can't make this stuff up sometimes honestly...  :-/

Don't know about any of that. Unless it's is that wide-spread, a minority of people having issues should deter someone from getting a Switch. :think:

At any rate, it's practically impossible to get the Switch in my area. They are constantly being sold out. My best bet is to wait for a price drop and new revisions of the Switch would come. :wagh:

I haven't seen any complaints come out after the first month or so of release, so it's safe to say the Switch's QA managed to fix all the hullabaloo. 

Then again, I haven't actually seen a physical Switch anywhere in my vicinity. After Splatoon 2 was released, they've been selling like hotcakes! I hope they come out with cool limited edition casings like they used to for the other systems. I'm sure we'll get an exclusive one for when Pokemon stuff comes out for the Switch... they never pass up on the opportunity to slap Pikachu on things in order to sell

The switch is bigger than I expected it to be! My ds XL looks small in comparison. I love how versatile the controls are.

@Loopy The only exclusive thing ive seen so far is the red joystick Switch for the Mario Odyssey bundle thingy. And green and Pink joysticks for Splatoon I guess. XD

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more color editions of the joycons for future games like SMT and Pokemon. And I would totally buy it  :gglife:

fullblue said:
Has anyone bought the pro controller? Heard that there are issues with the D-Pad

Nope! What kind of issues with the Pro Controller have?

Nintendo is now selling the 'Nintendo Switch 2nd Set' in Japan, which is essentially a fully colour-customisable Switch without a dock.

This new package appears to be aimed at those who want a second Switch in their home, aiming to give customers the option to purchase a second device without having to fork over for an unnecessary additional dock.

Similar in a way to the Xbox Design Lab, which allows you to create your own, fully customised controller, the official Japanese Nintendo Store allows you to pick and choose exactly which colour Joy-Con you'd like for each side of your console, and which colour Joy-Con Straps you'd like to go with it.

Looks like a "2nd set" is making its way to Japan. Sounds like a part move on their part, since I've seen plenty of players use the Switch undocked most of the time (I'm in the same boat).

Back
Top Bottom