News, Updates & Suggestion Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShineCero

The Strongest
ADMINISTRATOR
Pronouns
He/Him
Welcome to the year of 2017! As from the previous Suggestion Box, offer any suggestion(s) that you wished to have onto this board and I'll decide whether to accept or reject the implementation of such feature.

Let's give our all to improve this website! :kat:

Not necessarily, but it was something I started with the original thread with the years. Figure that I simply continue the tradition for the Suggestion Box. As for the suggestion, Nick provided a “user-rank” for members. This is not included in Deluxe Boogaloo as of ye, but was updated for Ultimate/Night Boogaloo.

UCEy6c6.jpg

What do you guys think?

After studying the rate of competitions throughout the year, I'd proposed a different take of how to accomplished "competitions". Before my proposal, here's are the problems I've noticed:

Problems with Boogaloo Showcase

Despite the suggested topics for competitions to use, it does not grant any interest for a member to joined in and participate—even from the ones that suggested them in the first place. If the competitions is confusing or a mess, we value everyone to place their thoughts on how to improve; however, we had yet to receive actual feedback for the most part.  

Another problem is the lack of notification. While the newest skin solved the problem of the competitions, this does not transitions to those that are the on Deluxe Skin. Its makes it a lot harder to join something that they are seemingly unaware of. 

Participation is another problem. The reasoning why we offer different kinds of competitions for members to join was to motivate one to join. Obviously, too many competitions resulted nothing more than total failure (too much content for people to joined in because they have to placed their focus on one thing)—furthermore, nearly all the competitions are practically the same either way. Usually, it because some members are currently busy (which is fine), priorities (understandable) or simply have a lack of interest. This also extends to voting, where members simply just have to vote—and that’s it. It still doesn’t encourage participation even though it takes seconds to do so—literally a click of a button! :lmao:  

As I’ve highlight those problems, here's my proposal:

BGL Challenge  

BGL Challenge replaces Boogaloo Showcase as the “main events” for the forum. Unlike Showcase, it will not be a cluttered mess and offers a more simple approach of how things will be done in hopes of promoting interests and participation. It's pretty simple. Each “Challenge Thread” will provides a topic and challenges you in order to tackle the topic. Below entails an example of what I’m talking about:

BGL Challenge #1: Improve Mario!

You along with your peers are now working with Nintendo. Your group first order of business, requested by Nintendo, is to give a redesign of Mario for their upcoming game. Draw Mario and improved from his original design. Whoever draws the best redesign of Mario will win the challenge.

Each challenge offers different topics—which includes arts, graphic designs, writing, and much more. Unlike Showcase, there will only be one challenge. Winning a challenge will grant you awards and other goodies, such as cash prizes. The schedule system is unknown at the moment. If you have any ideas for this, I'm all ears.

I really like this idea since it can still pull out the creativeness from our members. But remember, feedback is a MUST if you want us to better things for the competitions. This is a new twist and a nice idea to kinda take a step away from the usual competitions. A challenge might be what everyone is looking for to truly test their capabilities. 

I recommend that we test this out for the first month (Whenever that will be) and see what the members think about this. Prizes and goodies will all be explained later, so please let us know what you all think about this new idea for the competitions.

On a side note, what are the actual prizes you mean? You said cash prizes, like... actual cash?

Before I offer my opinion, let me see if I understand. So instead of multiple threads, we simply enter just one that is going on that allows practically any medium to count as a submission in relation to whatever challenge that may be?

~ Z ~ said:
I really like this idea since it can still pull out the creativeness from our members. But remember, feedback is a MUST if you want us to better things for the competitions. This is a new twist and a nice idea to kinda take a step away from the usual competitions. A challenge might be what everyone is looking for to truly test their capabilities. 

I recommend that we test this out for the first month (Whenever that will be) and see what the members think about this. Prizes and goodies will all be explained later, so please let us know what you all think about this new idea for the competitions.

On a side note, what are the actual prizes you mean? You said cash prizes, like... actual cash?

Prizes includes typical awards, reps and special edition "Golden Member". Cash prizes should be self-explanatory. 5-10 bucks should be the standard (and done through paypal). 

LoopyPanda said:
Before I offer my opinion, let me see if I understand. So instead of multiple threads, we simply enter just one that is going on that allows practically any medium to count as a submission in relation to whatever challenge that may be?

That is correct.

I wouldn't mind giving it a test run first then. Though it might be helpful to hold a strawpoll and see who actually has a paypal account and see how much of our userbase has one. I don't have a personal paypal account. Or even a bank account. Kinda sad... :lmao:

True! Though, I don't think you need a bank account to have paypal (and I think it sends the money via mail) :think: We'll crossed that bridge when we get there.  

I don't have a set date yet, but I'm hoping to released the "first run" next month.

ShineCero said:
 This also extends to voting, where members simply just have to vote—and that’s it. It still doesn’t encourage participation even though it takes seconds to do so—literally a click of a button! :lmao:  

I might argue that voting takes a little bit more than a click of a button, at least fair voting does. I expect from whoever votes that they have viewed/read the submissions and sincerely voted for the one they find the best regardless of the name next to it.

As for the idea of a single thing instead of many I think that's a good one. Hope it works.

Tadashi said:
ShineCero said:
 This also extends to voting, where members simply just have to vote—and that’s it. It still doesn’t encourage participation even though it takes seconds to do so—literally a click of a button! :lmao:  

I might argue that voting takes a little bit more than a click of a button, at least fair voting does. I expect from whoever votes that they have viewed/read the submissions and sincerely voted for the one they find the best regardless of the name next to it.

As for the idea of a single thing instead of many I think that's a good one. Hope it works.

I admit that it was an over-exaggeration on my part, but it falls in-line with why a bunch of competitions does not work and does not provide the interest and participation.

Is it possible to have a dice rolling tool/option when posting? Cause I have an idea for a kind of role-play involving rolling dices. I know it is possible since I once joined a Vietnamese forum with that tool. But I'm not sure if we can have it here.

Could be possible, I'll have a find the dice-rolling option to see if it's compatible with the version of Mybb we're using.

After researching, it seems that the only way to get the dice roller is through a paid subscription or simply create my own plugin. The last two links has an outdated plugin which is only compatible with the previous version of the forum software. 

I was currently developing several plugins for the site, so I might be able to see if I can get a dice-rolling plugin (unless I can find a way to find something without paying or having to create an account to sign up for it). I'll keep you updated by Friday when I conduct more research into this.

Hmm, vbulletin and Mybb are two different sites coding, so it won't translate well without massive changes in the plugin itself in order to fit it with Mybb's coding xD

As the challenge came to an end, Freak recommended his suggestion of how can improved the challenges/competitions:

Freak said:
Simply put, adding a monetary reward won't encourage participation. If anything, narrowing it down from multiple competitions to one "challenge" actually lowers overall participation, especially considering that neither Grey, Vegetto nor I can draw. The competitions didn't have good individual participation, but it had a better overall participation rate than these challenges as they had a wider spread of skills that tailored to individuals specific skills, like my or Vegetto's graphic design skills. In conclusion, The challenges are actually a step BACK from what was intended, as it only tailors to one skill at any given time, which greatly reduces the number of capable participants. 

So the solution in my mind is to either revert back to the competitions or develop a single challenge that can utilize more than one skill. Maybe a team competition? I'm thinking of something where it has, like, this central theme (Mario, for example), and we have teams of up to, say, 3, collaborate on making one extremely badass piece using their individual strengths to augment each-other. (i.e you draw Mario and Browser fighting and shit and I take that drawing and translate it into a graphic design) or so on and so forth. Though as a rule, it would require the use of two different "skills" (which would have to be elaborated on) and have a minimum team requirement of two people. You know, so no single person just goes and hogs all the prize moneys for himself :L

What do you guys think about this? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom