News, Updates & Suggestion Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good to me, though I feel like even with this, we would be better just accomadating the old style and maybe making this a major version of them

ShineCero said:
As the challenge came to an end, Freak recommended his suggestion of how can improved the challenges/competitions:

Freak said:
Simply put, adding a monetary reward won't encourage participation. If anything, narrowing it down from multiple competitions to one "challenge" actually lowers overall participation, especially considering that neither Grey, Vegetto nor I can draw. The competitions didn't have good individual participation, but it had a better overall participation rate than these challenges as they had a wider spread of skills that tailored to individuals specific skills, like my or Vegetto's graphic design skills. In conclusion, The challenges are actually a step BACK from what was intended, as it only tailors to one skill at any given time, which greatly reduces the number of capable participants. 

So the solution in my mind is to either revert back to the competitions or develop a single challenge that can utilize more than one skill. Maybe a team competition? I'm thinking of something where it has, like, this central theme (Mario, for example), and we have teams of up to, say, 3, collaborate on making one extremely badass piece using their individual strengths to augment each-other. (i.e you draw Mario and Browser fighting and shit and I take that drawing and translate it into a graphic design) or so on and so forth. Though as a rule, it would require the use of two different "skills" (which would have to be elaborated on) and have a minimum team requirement of two people. You know, so no single person just goes and hogs all the prize moneys for himself :L

What do you guys think about this? :think:

I'll just paste my reply in here for anyone else to get ideas for or just take a look:

I don't have any solid suggestions or opinions on how to change the system of carrying out competitions at the moment, rather than perhaps just not doing them altogether for a short while. Perhaps instead of monthly, we can do it bi-monthly or tri-monthly. As far as I'm aware of, those that DO want to do the contests seem unable to complete their submissions in the span of 3 weeks to a month. Otherwise, until we revamp the system, I feel no need to host them monthly anymore.

I don't have any ideas for how a team effort competition can be carried out at the moment.

Some people like me will never participate in a competition, you can't get everyone to participate. I think the previous system was okay.
The problem with Freak's idea is that it could become harder to actually enter, someone might not find a partner and would thus be prohibited from entering.
Maybe consider allowing drawing or graphical design as entries, but then we would have to settle with the compromise of not so fair judgment as it's not apples to apples comparison.

Loopy has a valid point, I agree with her longer span idea.

Perhaps when you redesign a character like the previous challenge, your team have to provide a drawing/graphic design and a short story + description so people who can write may join too. If the challenge is only for ndividual participant maybe they can choose to write or draw or both?

Agreed that it should have a longer span time. Perhaps we should also pick and chose the best time for competitions/challenge to take place ~ as Loopy suggested. Instead of having it everyone month or so, how about everyone once in a while? Like in the Summer Challenge/Winter Challenge.

Yeah. I think that's a good idea. Maybe we can have one event for each season (3-4 months gap)? And each event have like 2 challenges? One for art and one for writing.

Raditzthehairball said:
Perhaps when you redesign a character like the previous challenge, your team have to provide a drawing/graphic design and a short story + description so people who can write may join too. If the challenge is only for ndividual participant maybe they can choose to write or draw or both?
That sounds like a cool team idea. The only problem it would leave is probably ensuring that there's a balance since we wouldn't want a team full of artists ofc.

Seasonal competitions sounds nicer in the long run so that the events can have careful planning in a comfortable amount of time. Visual art and writing are our most participated in ones, so I think those can be individual challenges or easily integrated into a team-work one.

Maybe it can be like 1 team competition and the individual ones? Or maybe one season can be just individual competitions and the next be one for teamwork.

Ok, so we have about (to compile here) 2 major competitions of 1 writing, and one Artistic and they last 1-4 months (roughly seasonal)
Right?

And if I include my suggestion of allowing for smaller competitions, then we can have a few smaller ones just for people who want maybe a smaller time period.

Can we agree on that?

Yeah.the smaller ones can be just for fun and only have reputation reward. The big ones can have other rewards like money or things like art supply depending on the topic of the competition.

Nick said:
Ok, so we have about (to compile here) 2 major competitions of 1 writing, and one Artistic and they last 1-4 months (roughly seasonal)
Right?

And if I include my suggestion of allowing for smaller competitions, then we can have a few smaller ones just for people who want maybe a smaller time period.

Can we agree on that?

I'm down with that. Maybe smaller ones can be run by members themselves while seasonal ones can be run by Admins? :think:

ShineCero said:
Nick said:
Right?

Can we agree on that?

I'm down with that. Maybe smaller ones can be run by members themselves while seasonal ones can be run by Admins? :think:

Thats what I figured, best we have them have to go through someone of the command structure though so we dont get a mess with em. Like a basic format and a requests thread?

:think: That sounds good. What do others think about this?

Starting Friday, I'm preparing to do some updates to fixed some errors on the forum that I've come to noticed and established spoiler button once again. Just hope that Mybb does not update as soon as I implemented the changes.

Upcoming Stuff - Around 4:00 PM PST, I'm currently will be on Spring Break. This will allowed some updates regarding Boogaloo as an whole now that it has my full attention.
  • As an surprised, ~ Z ~ had renamed Fan-Fiction section as Story Critic section. This allows people to review or critic works created by members. According to Z, this section is composed of works from original stories, fan-fics and comics [such as webcomics].
  • Due to ~ Z ~ creating the entire section by herself (and even got the prefixes up and running), it would make sense for the section to be under Z
  • With that said, all threads have been moved to Modern INKers and separated by prefixes.
  • Boogaloo Showcase on the sidebar is now removed on Ultimate/Night skins.
  • Dice Roller is rejected. There isn't a plugin, without paying, to included on the forum. 
  • Boogaloo Life and Boogaloo Plaza is receiving an revamp.
  • New Prefixes could replaced or added.
  • Deluxe skin "clean-up". Nothing major, but some minor clean up is needed.
  • Spoiler Button in the command toolbox to be re-added again. Hopefully, mybb does not decide to upgrade itself once I do.
  • Donut and Colosseum will received updated rules fitted for their section.
  • Academy of Booga will received special prefixes. 
  • Banner Competition will be revamp to include more banners from various members, including holidays and seasonal changes.
Hopefully, this can be done within an week! Any questions, statements and thoughts on some of the changes?

For the BG Academy prefixes, will they be user written, or categories pre-chosen? I dont really care which, I just want to make sure that all the treads within it can be classified properly. maybe just label them by the most relevant schooling class title?

Everything mentioned for the Update sounds good to me.

Prefixes for Academy of Boogaloo will be pre-chosen. So far, I only have two "Prefixes" for the section:
  • Question
  • Academic 
If you have anything that could be added that covers the general base of the section, feel free to recommend them.

I see no problem with that. I'll add it. :thumbs:

There is a dice-roller plugin. The trouble with this is that it doesn't seems all that usable. With that said, dice-roller is rejected due to the inability to select specific forums, the inability of how it works (no explanation) and the usages of more complicated coding. I'm recommended of just sticking with typical role-playing for the future :thumbs:

Furthermore, as stated earlier, I'm refreshing certain things on the forum, to make everything cleaner and more organized. The usages of prefixes will be very beneficial in this case. 
  • Akiba section will have their own prefixes.
  • Deluxe will continued to have minors updates (mainly profiles. It looks weird and disorganized at certain places). 
  • Favorite Thread plugin had been added. You can know favorite threads without the need of email/inbox notifications. Simply favorite a thread, so to USER CP and see if anyone posted in it. 
As usual, I will continued proving more content of the updates. The Updates/Change thread will be updated in due time as well.

Ploep and I revamped the Akiba section:
  • New prefixes added for better organization of new and ongoing animes
  • Akiba films is added for Animated movies
  • Off the Air is added for old animes, but you can still post in it.
Future Updates:
  • Possible update with Boogaloo Colosseum (to created an understanding of "canon").
  • Minor fixes in some themes. 

Special thanks to Ploep for adding previews to the new anime threads and updating some older ones. This will now be a thing for all new anime threads introduce in the Akiba section. Again, thanks a bunch Ploep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom