News, Updates & Suggestion Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup! Thanks alot Ploep!

I also readded the spoiler button, because I knew that they were going to upgrade Mybb, which they did a few days ago :maybe:

LoopyPanda (and several others such as Sukichu) suggested that the Night Vision needs a rehauled. Now I have the time (since I was sick for the past couple of days), I updated the Night Vision with new colors. I hope you guys like it.

~ Z ~ brought this to my attention that the banner, the summer logo, has clipping issues. Anything have the same problem?

I've given it a couple hours and the problem doesn't seem to happen on my end at all on any themes. And I never empty out my cache on my laptop so I don't know if the problem would arise if I do that.  :-/

You're right. It was a cache that was causing an issue for ~ Z ~. :p

Starting next week, there will be a section revamp and the spoiler button will be re-added again since MyBB upgraded itself a few days ago. 

@MODS

There will be a slight change in forum management in the next couple of weeks. I will post the full content of what will be happening once college life dies down. 

Important Changes / Updates

1. Mybb had upgrade with new changes. Most notable change is added to the Moderation options, which can be seen by clicking a user's profile page.
  2. As per usual, the spoiler button will be re-added.
  3. Name-Changes will face restrictions. If you want to have a name change, this will be done through PMs with any of the Administrators [Freak - LoopyPanda - ShineCero - ~ Z ~]. You must have a good reason to change your name.
  4. Moderation Changes: Advisors will received a change in their powers. There is a possibility of some administration changes among the staff.
  5. Night Vision and Deluxe Boogaloo received minor fixes. 
  6. Boogaloo Theatre will received an massive update over the course of the weekend. This will be considered the "western version" of Akiba section.
  7. Boogaloo Colosseum will be revamp to fit the new system over the course of few weeks.
Summer Games Competition [June ??? - September 15, 2017]

This will be the next set of competition that will take place. However, there are a few things that I wished to discuss with everyone: what topic(s) should this competition be based on? Freak mentioned a "team-challenge" style competition, so it's possible that we could have a system around that. Pour your ideas here! 

Any other questions, requests and/or ideas, please continue to submit them here. You can also request emoticons to be added onto the forum.

- ShineCero

Update on the banner issue: It was finally resolved. I just deleted my caches and history. Worked like a charm. 

Competition idea: Design a new Pokemon? Kinda been playing Pokemon a lot recently so maybe this might appeal to some?

I think I may have a suggestion for a Competition:

OC Drawing Contest

Participants must draw an OC from either a selected list provided by one or more users, or draw a random OC from any of the other participants, using references which are being provided by said participants. 

Participants are allowed to make a choice to see which OC they want to draw.

~ Z ~ said:
Update on the banner issue: It was finally resolved. I just deleted my caches and history. Worked like a charm. 

Competition idea: Design a new Pokemon? Kinda been playing Pokemon a lot recently so maybe this might appeal to some?
Like a Fakemon competition? That sounds interesting enough. I've only done it once though. Would there be a certain theme or no?

Z-Fighter said:
I think I may have a suggestion for a Competition:

OC Drawing Contest

Participants must draw an OC from either a selected list provided by one or more users, or draw a random OC from any of the other participants, using references which are being provided by said participants. 

Participants are allowed to make a choice to see which OC they want to draw.
I quite like this one! Definitely giving the choice would be good. We'd have to make players avoid cluttered designs.

Would it be possible to make a non-drawing version as well?

I'm on vacation, so my ability to get on is limited to early mornings and late nights for my time zone. So anything that gets changed probably will only be seen if I get a PM about it.

I also quite like both ideas!
But I was thinking inb4 someone feels down when no one decides to choose their oc to draw, why not give 1 (vague/broad (?) I cant find the right word xD) written description of a character, and see how the contestants draw their own interpretation of that character? -> so that each person can have a margin of freedom in how they see that character.. I wish I could word my idea better but I can't English right now. XD

LoopyPanda said:
~ Z ~ said:

Like a Fakemon competition? That sounds interesting enough. I've only done it once though. Would there be a certain theme or no?
Yeah, a Fakemon idea. The theme can be something like this:

"Brand new region with brand new Pokemon! This region is mostly cold and climates can drop down as low as -50 degrees! However there are some parts that seem to magically stay warm all year long." Something like that. It can change tho'. Maybe design a legendary Pokemon for a new region? idk

Maybe we can put New Mega designs or new Alolan designs for later competitions. Maybe regional differences? 

@Ploep - That actually sounds pretty cool. That would actually give the person a new aspect on the character. Yeah, it'll be the 'same OC' but drawn completely differently. I really like that.

Thanks for everyone who gave their suggestions, including suggestions outside the forum. Keep your ideas flowing!

Here's an quick update of the changes I've made on the forum:
  • Boogaloo Channel has now been upgraded to Metroham TV. This section allows discussions from western-animated media and live-action adaptions. Metroham Theatre focuses on films internationally and finally, Comics Market focuses on comics, including webcomics. Have a look!
  • Boogaloo Colosseum has now been upgraded Hagane Colosseum. Rules is under construction.
  • Moderation Changes have been added. I've removed certain sections under Administrators and Super Moderators. Some sections have no need for moderation to be assigned too (i.e. Plaza), already observed the entirely of the forum and if there is ever a problem, the report button exist for this reason. Moderators are not affected by this change as they are assigned to a section(s). Furthermore, the only sections that are critical sections (Art Section, Hagane Colosseum, RPG Park, etc) needs monitoring. For Administrators/Super Moderators, you can still place a section under your signature that you are most active in, if you chose too.
  • Prefixes for Game Shelf has been added [colors will be fixed later on, unless Z, Freak and/or Loopy changed it before I do]
  • Spoiler Button has been readded
Competition Suggestions

@Z-Fighter

That is a wonderful idea. I think it encourages people to draw out of their comfortable zone and take a crack at each other's characters. Ploep's idea to expand it makes it even better.

Fakemon idea seems interesting as well. :think:

But, let's also extend more than drawings since not everyone is able to draw. What else can we do to promote competitions that fits for everyone?

I also have a proposal. Ploep mentioned this to me, along with Z, about a Pokemon Battle Competition. We can make it easy and simple, whereas everyone participates until two people reach the final round, and whoever wins, is declared the winner. Either Showdown can be use or the 3DS (though, not everyone has the games/console).

Quick Update: I'm aware that the spoiler button has not appeared yet. I'm looking for a fix on this soon.

Update: Because of the recent upgrades, the spoiler button will no longer work until due time. You can still manually type out the spoiler button using the code: Spoiler Option ->
[/*spoiler] OR 
[/*spoiler] (remove the stars)

You can click on this thread for the code as well.

Showdown is quick to access and makes it easy for everyone to see if the match was fair and square, provided one of the players grabs the link and posts it for us all. There's even a website we can use that makes an easy to track visual of such a competition, although I don't recall the name.

For those who don't use Pokemon Showdown or know of it, it's widely used by competitive players to test their team composition and move combos against other players before putting forth the effort to replicate it in their actual game copies. It is a quick and easy way to do so.

Pros:
  • It puts everyone on equal playing ground statistically as everyone maxes out all 5 IVs (a time consuming process in-game that many like to resolve with hacking or exploits), and you have exact control of EV point investment.
  • You can build your team in under 10 minutes
  • Reduces the event of foul play drastically
  • Mis-clicks can be undone by clicking "cancel" and choosing the one you want.
  • Easy linking of the replay!
  • No downloading required to use it. Works best in Chrome browsers.
Cons:
  • Connection can be spotty, or laggy, or freeze up sometimes. This can easily be countered by just repeating the match after reporting back.
  • Cancelling your move choice doesn't always guarantee you get to pick a different one. The computer may ignore your cancel command and proceed with your initial choice.
  • Time zones.
That's about all I can think of. I would prefer using Showdown for these reasons. Time zones should be taken heavily into consideration.
==========
A non-drawing comp I thought of was in-browser Cards Against Humanity.

Call it the Improv Comedy Contest :lmao:

Cards against Humanity Competition sounds nice. I actually like that one. It puts everyone on the same playing field and anyone can jump in. What would be the rules if such a thing exist though? 

Showdown is definitely for the best for those who do not have a 3Ds.

Well, the website allows you to choose any deck type (or multiple types) for the game. If we want fast results, it would be easiest to choose only 1 deck type, and no expansion packs -- this also allows for some variety. For example, winning a game using the 90s Nostalgia Pack would bring the implication that you know enough 90s pop culture references to provide some decent improv choices. Or not and it makes for pretty funny gibberish.

To confirm wins, we could have someone voluntarily spectate the games (this is a thing, but I don't know if it is possible to spectate if given a link to a private game.) OR have someone just screencap it with gyazo before the page refreshes itself. I would recommend setting a timed limit like 5 minutes rather than no limit to prevent stalling.

Admins usually participate in the contests, so they could just do this during set up.

Update. Here's what I got for the Pokemon Competition:

Pokemon Summer Games is a tournament style competition, where, depending on a number of players, will be thrown into battle each other until one person is standing and become champion. If you've ever played any of the core Pokemon games, the gameplay is the same, minus all the leveling. The matches will host on Pokemon Showdown (http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/), not wi-fi. This means you can participate even if you don't own a DS/3DS! You do not need to download Pokemon Showdown, just register on their site (which is only a username and a password).

Rules:
  • Once you enter, reveal all your Pokemon (you don't reveal items/abilities). You cannot change them once you stated your team.
  • Anything Goes Tier.
  • All Legendaries are banned.
  • Megas and Z Moves are allowed
  • No repeat items
  • No repeat Pokemon
  • In the best of 3 rounds between players

Hey I got an idea for Boogaverse if your up for it

Basically I would like to add another Sub-forum to Boogaverse, based around sharing maps and things for Roll20 for the  purposes of having more D&D style playing as an option for us within BV, OCs could be given base stats for like fifth edition or something ignoring the rest of that massive system, and we could schedule events/meetings and everything would be a lot more randomised than how it is with current forum format. We can also record or transcribe the sessions to keep the sessions in BV lore, and posting recorded sessions to YT could bring in more players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom