Escaping The Blind

Status
Not open for further replies.
More and more Blinders started to rush the group with Francis's loud voice. While Ezra kept his gaze fixed on Khan, it looked as if he was about to say something but quickly turned away to face the Blinders. He placed his gun away and took out his combat knife and delivered a swift stab to a nearby Blinder's eye. The Blinder hissed and gargled before finally falling to the floor. Ezra made sure to stomp on its head several times to make sure it's dead.

"Can you tell your friend to keep his dumb mouth shut before he calls a horde?!" Ezra snarled. "He's 'bout ready to call every damn Blinder in Jacksonville."

Boris made sure to keep close to Molly knowing that she didn't have any proper means to defend herself. Boris took a hold of a Blinder rushing at Molly by the leg. With nothing but brute strength, he flung the Blinder across the area, knocking over another Blinder behind Ezra.

"Ve must have at least 15 coming at us right now." Boris said while punching a Blinder away from himself. "Bring it on! I've handled a hundred of you beasts by myself!"

While some Blinders kept their attention on Boris, a couple more rushed at Violet and Wayne. One managed to grip at Wayne's leg while the other was chomping it's teeth in its attempt to bite Violet. Both Blinders were followed by about 3 more. As for Khan and Francis, there were two nearby Blinders clumsily making their way pass the shop in their attempt to attack them. Both Blinders wildly flailed their arms in hope of catching one in their iron grip.

God damnit, right when we get a break, we get an idiot to screw it all up! Ezra thought to himself. Let's just hope we make it out of Florida alive...

"This is what we get for causing a ruckus!" Violet hissed as she positioned her bat like a battering ram, thrusting the spikes of her bat's top right into the Blinder's mouth. She used the momentum to push it back and into any of the Blinders that happened to be directly behind the one she struck. 

The next heads I'm going to bash in just might be these idiots! Violet thought furiously. It seemed she flew in a rage just by the fact they attracted a horde.

Molly wasn't able to assist anyone-- she didn't want to risk getting her equipment covered with the blood of the Blinders so she didn't try to reach for her kit. "Think you can toss me your knife, Violet?"

"Kind of busy right now...!" Violet said through gritted teeth. "It's in my right pocket!" Without hesitation, Molly lunged her hand into the girl's pocket and fished out the swiss knife. Violet wouldn't have allowed it but this was a situation that was going to snowball out of control. 

Molly flicked the blade of the knife out and gripped it tightly. As she backed away towards Boris again. "I'm ready to throw down now..."

"Jesus fucking Christ"  Wayne thought to himself as he ram the dagger upon the Blinder's head that grabbed onto his leg. He kicked it away from him, only to see three more coming in. "These bastards are going to get me kill. I need to get out of his situation and using these jackasses as meat shields. Better me than them." 

"How about you kept your mouth shut!? You're attracting a horde over here!" Wayne said, without raising his voice as he proceed to drive his dagger onto another blinder into it's stomach, and kicking them to the ground.

At The House

Reynard kept a bead on the hand holding the axe and gritted his teeth; whelp, damned if he did, damned if he didn't...

"Easy there mister. We wouldn't want any unfortunate accidents now would we?" Reynard asked sweetly, remaining crouched behind the railing.

If this asswipe had friends, he'd no doubt be seeing them soon. Though that was unlikely. He hadn't heard him call out to anyone since he got there. Hopefully that meant he was a loner.

Down the hall he heard Edith mutter darkly to Raymond. They knew the jig was up now too... A low pitiful whimper sounded from the bedroom and Reynard smirked despite himself. He could feel his brother squirming from clear down the hall. Raymond was always such a baby about confrontation... Though, that was the whole reason he'd left him in the room with Edith. She'd be able to protect him should Reynard fall... at least he hoped... 

On The South Road Leading Into Town

Kasir just stared. Finding booze in the largest city in NorthEast Florida?

"Its a possibility." 

Kasir checked over the gear, collapsable cookware and cups, the alcohol stoves Brawny had tinkered together out of beer cans. All of this went into the small, cloth cooler bag. The food bag was emptied and repacked next, Kasir and Mai taking note of anything extra they should look out for. Edible tea stuffs were always appreciated, as was fresh fruit. They'd found some domestic PawPaw trees not to long ago, and still had several Papayas in the bag, tho they would be turning soon in this heat. Meat was also a thing. Kasir had been watching for birds or snakes. Brawny had tried to hit a gator back in Ocala... They'd missed. Kasir still couldn't tell if that was a good thing or not. 

Anyways anything that they could find was good, but vitamin C  and some basic protein, even from nuts, was essential to stay healthy.

Either way, after one last check, and making sure to store the rest of the supplies in the truck, for all the good it would probably do them, the group headed into the city proper. 

The streets were overgrown and the pavement buckled, the buildings in the suburbs were in varying states of disrepair after 15 years of neglect, though some still looked serviceable to use for a night or two at need... pervaded that they weren't all full of vermin and black mold by this point...

Kasir noted that Brawny was now on one side of him, and Mai on the other.

When had this formation happened?

Kasir looked at Buck, the collie however had no answers, simply wagging his tail at him in a froendly manner.

At least he thought Buck was a male dog... though that would be just like Brawny to end up naming a girl Buck... 

Kasir focused back forward, walking up the middle of the road was only dangerous if their were people around... Hoards were also an issue... Though at least Blinders didn't try to snipe you from rooftops...

Nerves officially even more on edge the young man narrowed his eyes and scanned the area for movement.  

The street of Jacksonville

Khan sighed. This scenario had happened all too often when they were alone. As annoyed as he was, he knew Francis wasn't such an idiot before this whole thing happened. Whatever happened that changed the man in such a way was beyond his imagination. He didn't ask, in case it would reopen old wounds. Anyway, he had tolerated the blonde for all these years just because of that one reason. But he knew these new people wouldn't and it was understandable. 

Francis noticed the two blinders first. He grinned in excitement and dodged out of the way. With all his strength, he stabbed the knife on the side of one of their heads. He then kicked its leg, causing it to tumble over. 

He turned his head and gasped in shock as he saw a steel pipe come swinging at him. He ducked just in time to not have his nose smashed.

The pipe hit the second blinder in the face hard and it fell backward.

Khan, holding the weapon firmly in his hands glared down at his friend.

“If you don't zip it, that’ll be your face next.” 

“Khannie you are exceptionally mean toda-“

Khan walked over to the blinder he just hit and started beating its head so violently it be came unrecognizable, after which the Indian man send his friend a I'm-serious look.

“Okay, okay. I get it…” Francis swallowed. Man, that was scary.
____

At the house

Arturo looked up at the source of the voice. A brat huh? Then, his eyes moved down to the thing said brat was holding. A crossbow. Aside from the fact it was a cool thing to have and he wanted to punch the young kid to take it, he knew his axe was no match for a long ranged weapon. He decided to lower his weapon and put on a friendlier impression. 

“Of course not. Just looking for a place to crash, kid.”

______

Mai walked silently, occasionally glancing around to make sure their surrounding was clear of danger. Brawny on the other hand, was looking around for any pub or bar he could loot.

They eventually arrived at a boat rental, where suddenly Buck’s ears moved. The dog stopped in his tracks and stared at the street. 

“What is it buddy?” Brawny asked. His grip on the baseball bat tightened. Mai also put a hand on the sword by her side.

(Sorry I took so long with my post, graduation calls.)

Ezra growled under his breath as he sliced the jugular of a nearby Blinder. It stumbled to the floor gargling and twitching until it finally died off. The remaining few Blinders around Ezra were picked off by Boris and his huge fists. A Blinder flew across the sky thanks to a hard hit by Boris. And only Blinders the remained around the group were those near Khan and Francis. Ezra seemed beyond annoyed about the little stunt pulled by the loud one but he rushed in, willing to help the two out.

There was a Blinder, no older than about 9 years old, that ran up to Khan's side. Ezra took a hold of the little Blinder's hair and yanked it away from a deadly bite it could have done to Khan. Pinning the child to the floor, he placed his foot on top of its back and pulled back on its hair as hard as he could. There was a loud and sickening snap. The child Blinder stopped moving and its entire body went limp. To make sure the child was dead, Ezra snapped its neck again this time moving it a full 180 degrees. The child's chin rested on the top of its back.

"Damn Blinders..." Ezra tossed the limp child to the side and glanced at Khan and Francis. "You guys are a lot of trouble..."

====

Boris was busy holding two Blinders off away from Molly and Violet. He smashed the two heads' against each other and caused a small red mist of blood and brain matter. Only three more Blinders remained and each were rushing to Wayne, Violet, and Molly respectively. The three Blinders looked to be pro athletes of some sport. They were all big and muscular and faster than the other Blinders.

"Look out Doc!" Boris warned.

"God damn, these things won't let up!" Wayne said. However, he didn't react instantly, because he was behind Molly and Violet, he simply prepared himself for the worst, assuming the duo don't get turned into mincemeat.

At the house

"Yeah crashing, you've been doin alotta that today. Yur pretty damn noisy for someone whose livin in a monster infested city." Rey snorted. "But we're not entirely heartless... So you stick to the first floor and don't do anything dick-ish, and we won't shoot you in the head, hows about that, friend?"
______

Kasir's hand hadn't left his katana since they'd left the truck, he looked around, the dog was pointed at the street but he was paranoid of back attacks. He waited tensely for any signs of movement.

(Sorry inverter in my laptop is dead, so I have to use a flashlight to see stuff. so no long posts.)  

"Go for the kneecaps! Immobilize them from the waist down! And quick!" Molly instructed, using her knowledge of the human body's variation in structure to devise a quick way to disarm them significantly.

"Shatter the kneecaps!? You're crazy! I'll snap my bat in half!" Violet said with shock.

"Just duck and swing at them!" She was cut off from speaking any further when she was forced to jump out of the way of one's grip. "I can't make this thing fall over on my own!"

(I hope it gets fixed soon, Nikki. That sucks! ): )

"Fine!" Violet immediately crouched on the ground and swung her bat directly into the kneecaps of the Blinder before her. She hoped the impact would shatter the knees if the nails couldn't take care of it. "At least try and get one from behind!" She grunted.

'I'm light on my feet, so maybe I can get behind it without it detecting me!' Molly attempted to move around the big Blinder with intent to slice its Achilles tendons open.

The street of Jacksonville

“My apologize.” Khan replied, though sounding more annoyed than guilt. He hadn’t done anything wrong and now he was also getting blamed for something he didn’t cause. Also, the fact that he just saw a blinder child’s neck being brutally snapped made him uneasy. He had once again thought of his daughter. If she had been infected and someone killed her before his eyes… He took a breath, discarding the thought.

“You can nag later. More will come if you just fight them in one place. There’s a boat rental ahead, these things can’t swim can they?” He said, noticing some more blinders coming their way from afar.

Meanwhile, Francis seemed to have gone dead silence, especially after Ezra killed the child blinder. He looked at the carcass for quite a while before being distracted by the three muscular blinders attacking the other group’s members. They seemed to be taking good care of two blinders.

One of the girls were trying to get behind a blinder. While he didn’t know what she was planning, he thought he could lend a hand. Yeah, it was his fault. He knew he should do something to redeem it somehow. So,he got closer then picked up a big rock and threw it at the third muscular blinder head. Hopefully that would distract it for a long enough time for them to deal with the other two. “There’s better food over here, big boy.”

Nearby

The group slowly moved ahead. They could see nothing threatening in sight, despite Buck’s low growl. However, from afar, faint sounds of fighting could be heard. There was a blinder, but it wasn’t coming toward them. Rather, it was staggering to the opposite direction, going after the sounds.

“Sounds like fighting. Think someone’s in trouble?” Brawny deducted.

“Could be. What should we do?” Mai asked, looking at Kashiru - their leader.

At the House

Arturo laughed. “Quite the attitude you got there, young man. But sure, say what you want. Afterall, you’re the one with the crossbow.” He put the axe away. Sometimes it was better to show submission, especially when you got a crossbow pointed at your head.

“Until I can get my hands on it that is… “ Thought the man. He put up a friendly smile at the much younger man above.

“So, you did say ‘we’. I’d love to get to know all my new housemates. Why don’t you call them out and we can do a proper introduction?”

The Blinder that had its attention on the two girls was swinging his arms aimlessly, trying to grab one of them but looked about as dumb as he acted. He kept on grunting, struggling to catch one of the nimble girls with his sluggish movements. When Francis tossed the rock to his head, the Blinder looked up and swatted at the air, making a wide opening for the girls while he stupidly attacked at nothing. When the big one was hit on the knee caps fell instantly and let out a groan of gargles while landing with a thud. No pain on its bloody face. It struggled to get up but wouldn't be able to thanks to its busted knees. All it could do was helplessly swing his arms in the air in a flail.

The Blinder attacked by Molly fell to the floor. The small tendon that connected his calf to his foot was completely severed. His foot twisted almost a full 360 by how fast he tried to pull himself off the ground to the point where it was almost completely ripped off his leg. Gargles and hissing were heard from the Blinder who struggled to attack Molly. At this point, it began to slowly crawl to her in its attempts to bite her.

The Blinder that was behind Wayne rushed at the man and tackled him to the floor. Wayne fell a couple feet away but the Blinder was quickly crawling to his direction in hopes of biting him or eating him.

Boris took a hold of a Blinder rushing at him and gripped his throat, avoiding any contact with his mouth. He noticed Wayne tackled to the ground and he didn't know if he would be able to help him.

"My Vayne!! Get up!"

=====

Ezra growled at the mess the group had to fight with. Molly and Violet had successfully disabled the Blinders attacking them but his noticed Wayne struggling. He gritted his teeth and rushed as fast as he could to Wayne in order to help him. He only had one chance to help Wayne. He took a hold of his trusty combat knife and tossed it over for Wayne to catch.

"Wayne, catch!"

“Argh!” Wayne grunted as he fell onto the ragged road. He turned to his left arm and noticed several bruises. He turned his head to the Blinder crawling to his direction and attempted to grab his knife that he had. But the fall caused him to drop it several feet away him. 

“Is this it?” Wayne thought. “I knew I should had bailed when I gotten my second wind this morning.” Wayne’s mind was riddled with regrets as the Blinder grew closer. These thoughts disappeared when Erza shouted at him, tossing a knife to his direction. Without thinking, Wayne grabbed the knife and stabbed the Blinder in the head multiple times in rapid succession. To finish it off, Wayne jabbed the knife on its neck and grabbed it hair to pull its head from it body. Wayne, albeit struggled, stood up with head in his hand, tossing it to the ground.

“Nasty ass bastard.”

Violet kept her distance from the fallen Blinder. "Lights out," she grunted before swinging her bat square onto the top of its skull. Violet saw only blurs in her peripheral vision, so she could only assume nobody had gotten shredded from the ordeal.

"Oh no..." Molly didn't want to go near the other one's big arms because the swiss knife had a terribly short reach. Instead, she tried to get behind the Blinder again and went for a stab at the base of its skull once she moved behind it again.

The Blinder that attacked Wayne was obviously dead thanks to the multiple stabbings and the beheading. Violet's attack on the Blinder's head caused it to spaz slightly on the floor before he eventually stopped moving, dying off. Molly's Blinder, when struck at the base of his neck, instantly went limp on the floor. He growled and snarled, gargling and hissing at his attempts to move but it seemed he was paralyzed from the neck down thanks to Molly's stab. He was still alive but he would not be moving at all so he was deemed harmless. With all the Blinders dead or incapacitated, everything seemed quiet, for now at least.

Boris made his way to Wayne and noticed how he killed the Blinder. He chuckled since it reminded him of Ezra kills his Blinders. He took a grip at the paralyzed Blinder and tossed him away from the girls, making sure he would cause no harm. He spoke to the ladies, wondering if they were okay.

"Are you ladies alright?" Boris said while kicking the Blinder Violet killed, making sure it was dead. "You two ladies sure know how to fight! Even the Doc knows a move or two! Haha! Good thing you two can look after yourselves, not many times ve see people who can."

====

Ezra walked over to Wayne and smiled at Wayne's kill. 

"Nice work there Mr. Wayne." Ezra nodded. "Seems like you're no pushover. The way you kill Blinders brings a smile to my face."

Ezra took the knife from Wayne and sheathed it. He let out a sigh and looked around, making sure there were no Blinders sneaking up on them. He patted Wayne on his back and looked over to Boris who only nodded, almost knowing what Ezra was going to say.

"Alright, if you guys are ready, let's head out. The boats aren't too far from here, we have to hurry and reach the Georgia border. The place is most likely infested with Military goons... If I were you, I'd stay out of their line of sight. Now hurry up and get moving."

Despite his fight with the Blinders, Ezra didn't seem all that tired, along with Boris. Fighting for 15 years seemed to have toughen them a bit. Ezra pulled out the map from his pocket and headed north, following the path on the map. He spoke to the group, his voice a little calmer than usual.

"I'm glad no one got hurt... Let's keep it that way, alright?"

Wanye let out a small grunt when Erza patted him on the back. "This is nothing." He started with a cold tone. "Anyone could do it when pushed to a corner with nowhere to go. Even youngsters like you." 

Wayne walked to his knife that he dropped due to the tackle earlier. Picking it up, Wanye noticed that his right hand was shaking as he gripped onto it. He narrowed his eyes and began to let out small chuckles. "Holy fuck, I nearly died right there. That was not a close call. I was staring death to the face. Well, fuck you Death, I ain't going nowhere. Not yet." 

Wanye composed himself before turning to the others. "Alright, let's not waste time then. I'm starting to get an itch right now. An itch of not wanting to get caught up in this situation again. So how about cool it with the damn noise? Don't run your mouth like some idiot. Understand?"

Violet winced before looking at her stitched-up hand. There wasn't any blood seeping through the bandages, but she knew she took it too far trying to fend off the Blinder due to how she felt the strain of the stitches. "...Fifteen years is plenty of practice. I used to play softball a long while back, so maybe that helped."

"Let's just get moving before anything else happens." Molly nodded her head gratefully at the stranger who threw a rock at her assailant. "Um... we'll just get goin' now."

"Yeah, let's go before Grandpa here breaks a hip or something," Violet muttered.

"Alright, now that we're all back on our feet, let's get moving. The sooner we leave this scene, the better." Ezra said. "But hey, you three sure know your way around these Blinders. I take back what I said about holding us down, you guys are no joke."

"Sounds like Ezra is finally starting to varm up!" Boris joked, slammed his large hand on Ezra's back causing him to stumble slightly. 

"Shut it Boris. They still got a way to go before they're at our level." Ezra grumbled. "But it's nice to know that you guys aren't entirely useless."

As Ezra continued north, the roads were seen with small puddles, many types of weeds and water plants both fresh and dried up. Everything seemed to be rusted down thanks to the humidity. Few buildings remained untouched by the weather. The thick city was even thicker with swamp foliage and other sort of plants. In the distance, it looked to be like almost all of Jacksonville, even the rest of Florida, was covered by the swamp. Ezra looked beyond the horizon and saw how the water was nearly halfway up the tallest buildings. Ezra was almost amazed by how much 15 years without humans can do. Nature reclaims what belongs to her. Ezra continued to gaze and pointed at a shack labeled: Stan's Boat and Gator Bait.

"Alright... we gotta head to that shack..." Ezra said. "That used to be a popular tourist swamp boat ride, at least that's what the pamphlets said. Taking a boat should be easy assuming the owner died." Ezra put his map away and looked up at the sky, taking a guess at how long of a walk it might be. "I think this might be at least an hour and a half. Those Blinders slowed us down but we should be able to take refuge in the shack if we need to call it a night... In the meanwhile, look out for stragglers."

Boris felt relieved at the shack being closer than what they anticipated however, he wondered what the others saw in their travels.

"Hey, over your travels... have you seen veird Blinders? Mr. Vayne mentioned one that can control other Blinders. Have you seen any other veird activities?"

Khan just angrily fixed his clothing and backpack. He wasn't sure if they should follow the group. Maybe not after they had given them a bad impression. Francis on the other hand, was not too shy about that idea. He grabbed Khan's arm and started pulling him along.

"Let me go, Francis. We're not going with them." He protested, trying not to talk too loud.

"But I thought you agreed to go along-"

"You blew it. Now they'll just think we're a nuisance."

"... Well. We're going this way too, right?" Francis insisted.

Khan rolled his eyes. "We'll not make any contact, unless they want to. Got it?" He pulled back his arm and pointed a finger at his friend.

"Alright."

They began walking in the same direction as the group but staying  a distance away from them.

"Grandpa?" Wayne thought he heard Violet muttered something. "I hope that little shit isn't talking about me..." Wayne followed the group, but left some distance between himself and them. "Shit, I'm actually following these jackasses. Damn it, I'll just need them to allow me to cross the border, then I'm ditching these guys." That was the thought in Wayne's head. Though, the battle that occurred gave him a bit of a new perspective. If they were never there, he would have been killed. He didn't hear what Boris said about the other Blinders.

He noticed the two following them from behind when he turned his head slightly before turning back to the group. "Shit, they're following us now? Don't they know they cause enough trouble already?" Wayne grumpily thought.

NEARBY ​

Kasir weighed their options carefully, scowling. Injecting themselves into others fights was never wise... still the more nobel part of him didn't want to leave someone in danger if he could help...​

"We'll go look. Stay back, assess the situation, then decide on what if any actions we take." He decided, leading the way. Before they'd reached the location however the fighting all stopped and Kasir winced. ​

Continue on into what could be a fruitless potentially deadly venture? Or stop there and just go back to salvaging?​

He scowled and looked at Mai and Brawny asking their opinions on the matter. Daylight was wasting, they'd come to scavenge, and they still had to find a suitable place to bed down for the night and fortify it.​

_____________________________________________​

THE HOUSE

The Crossbow kid shrugged, "Yeah sure."​

He whistled and two other boys about the same age came out from down the hall. The first being slightly smaller, with black hair and dark brown skin, wearing a baggy green coat. The second- was identical to the kid with the crossbow. ​

"Ed, Ray, meet our new housemate... he'll be staying on the ground floor." Crossbow said with a rether nasty smile.​

The Dark haired kid, "Ed"? Just scowled, but said nothing.​

The twin however smiled oblivious to the tension in the room and waved happily at Arturo, "Oh good! It wasn't a monster! Thats good! It is! Hello~"​

Whose POV is this from? I am so sick right now... x m X 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom