Escaping The Blind

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Heh. At least we're on the same page about the trust thing." Violet remarked. 

"Well, we were planning to stay in one of these apartments at any rate if we could help it. That herd won't be budging anytime soon from what I can see." Molly said, before having her arm punched by Violet. "Ow! What?" She hissed.

"You can't be serious, lady. Remember what I said about groups earlier?" Violet didn't seem very on board with the idea of staying there, much less with who they'd be stuck with. 

"And? Did you remember a thing I told you about your hand? Those stitches you've got are as good as they come these days, compared to a decade ago when I could get the good kind. If those things rip open and we're in the middle of that mob, it's over for the both of us. Understand, girl?" Molly retorted with equal hostility. "Even 1 night out of their range will do us a world of good. Besides, you owe me for the favor of not letting you bleed out."

"Tch. Fine. We'll stay. It's Violet."

"And I'm Molly. I don't do dirty work like bashing skulls in, but I'm a doctor. A real one, back before the... you know. My friend here's better at the hunting and fighting stuff."

"Yeah..." Violet was more preoccupied by her bandaged right hand. The sight of it just made her squeeze her left around the bat. "Molly makes some mean stitchwork."

"Very well, Wayne." Ezra said without batting an eye. He was in the sink, descaling the fish he caught. "You have the right idea about not trusting us. I assure you we won't hurt any of you as long as none of you pull any moves on us. In the meanwhile, you can begin skinning and eating your meal."

While Ezra managed to find a way to heat up the descaled fish, He listened to Molly and her expertise in medical practices. He remained silent for the most part but felt as if having a doctor around isn't a bad idea, especially with the work she did on Violet.

A doctor huh? Ezra thought. Maybe having a doctor around isn't such a bad idea... I know I can't make any sort of medicine or stitch up any open wounds. In the heat of battle, she'll be really useful. 

Boris seemed a little oblivious to Jason's hostility but had a feeling that he wasn't entirely happy about being in a group. He tried to make Jason, as well as the girls, feel a little more comfortable.

"I'm sorry to have declared us a group so quickly." Boris sighed but his smile never faded. He seemed to be the type to always look at the good side of things. "But think of how much stronger ve vill be! The young doctor will be especially useful if you are hurt, yah? It's just rare for us to see other humans. How long haz it veen since we last saw a normal human, Ezra?"

"2 months."

"Yah! And he vas attacked before we can help him!"

Ezra butted in Boris's storytelling and laid it down for everyone to hear.

"Basically, what Boris is trying to say is that it's hard to come across humans that aren't assholes. The last guy we met had the same idea as you, Wayne. Not even a couple hours later, he was dinner for a couple Blinders. So you can bet your odds and try your luck all alone out there."

Jason nodded his head in response to Erza. As he waited for his turn to skin the rabbit, he’d turned his attention to Boris, listening to the story of the person that joined their group a while back. Jason couldn’t help but laugh. 

“Well.” Jason chuckled. “That man is a fool to blindly—pardon the pun—going out there. Even I know where I stand with this. Though, what’s rare is coming in the medical field."

"I can believe it. The last people I encountered before Molly cost me plenty." Violet commented, brushing her hand over the other's bandages. They were going to need changing soon enough. "Even more since none of the groups I've ever been in lasted all that long." 

"Haha, well... I suppose people like me usually get forced into staying with some bad eggs because we're not as... expendable," Molly said. "At first, I almost didn't believe Violet when she said there were only a handful of people taking up this whole little town a ways back. They would've taken me in like some kind of back-alley doctor for whatever territory tussles they'd get into. With all those things out there, you kind of forget there are survivors still... I'd understand those kind of feelings."

Ezra listened to Jason and the girls and let them have a moment of peace as he stepped out the apartment with what looked to be some cloth, matches, and twigs be gathered. In the hallway just outside the apartment door, Ezra started a controlled fire and began to cook the fish over an open flame. He didn't make an attempt to talk to the others because he was more focused on the food. He stared intently at the fire until he realized that they were short on food to feed everyone. He let out a groan of annoyance and fanned at the cooking fish.

"Man, why's Boris gotta be so friendly..?" He grumbled. 

======

Boris nodded to the girls and made his way to the kitchen where he and Ezra had left some of their belongings. He dug around a bag and pulled out some water bottles for the group. He seemed much more open and friendly than Ezra but he was strong enough to fight Blinders face to face, so messing with him wouldn't be wise. He handed the group the water bottles in case they were thirsty.

"Drink! We have vater for a veek!" He said cheerfully. "I remember seeing some medical supplies in the rooms. Gather what you can and keep it on your person. Take backpacks if you find any! Say, vhat happened to your fingers, Violet? It's a shame to see a lady looking like a mutant."

Jason started to skinned the rabbit and placed it on the side. He pulled out a large knife and began to chopped it up into pieces. He turned his head when Boris was saying "vater"

"Vater?" Jason questioned. "What a strange way of saying water."

"Then I'll excuse myself and take a look-see for anything I can use." Molly gingerly ventured out into the other room in search for useful supplies.

Violet used her teeth to unscrew the lid on the water bottle before using her right hand to screw it off completely. In response to Boris's question, her brows simply furrowed as she stared at him for a few moments before sighing through her nose. "Right... well, that territory I passed through a ways back was occupied by some lowlifes like Molly said. I couldn't pass through without paying. Guess they wanted to take anything I had on me, so I tried to force my way through, but it didn't work. Next thing I know, I'm kicked in the gut with my arms behind my back and a knife pressed to it."

"I guess they thought it would be more fun to cut my fingers off instead of slitting my throat first, like they were some kids ripping the wings off a moth. Damn sadists." Violet curled her fingers into a fist. "Laughing so carefree when they managed to get the knife through my pinkie... must be luck, but my screaming attracted a herd nearby, and started for us. They were getting ready to chop off my middle finger and I was getting dizzy, but I remember being dropped to the ground next. Left me for dead, so I just grabbed my bat and ran the opposite direction as far as I could go. Lost enough blood to pass out eventually because I was focused on just running instead. Don't remember much after that. Molly says she found me a couple hours after because I screwed up some trap she made to catch a rabbit or something."

"Man, people are still mean even after an apocalypse..." Boris shook his head upon listening to Violet's story. "It's a shame, really. Such a horrible thing to do to a lady. Vell, you won't have such problems here with me and Ezra. We're a lot more warmhearted than ve look." Boris chuckled before noticing Ezra come in the room with three fully cooked fish on a stick. He handed on to Boris who instantly took a hold of it like a child. He seemed too excited to get any sort of food.

"Ah yes! Thank you Ezra!" Boris took a bite from the fish and burned his tongue. "Aie! It's hot, yah!"

"Yeah, it's fresh. Don't burn yourself." Ezra said. He walked over to Violet and handed her the other two fish on a stick. One for her and one for Molly. 

"Please enjoy yourself, ma'am. Don't leave your friend hungry." Ezra offered a rare smile.

"Vhat about you, Ezra? Is there no more food?" Boris questioned, chewing on his fish. 

"No more fish. I only caught three so I gave one for you and the girls. Mr. Wayne has his rabbit and he doesn't plan to share his catch. I'll dig around the kitchen later on for food. Just eat, okay? We gotta get up early tomorrow, Georgia is a bit of a walk from here." Ezra said as he patted Boris on the shoulder. He left the area and stepped into the balcony, watching very few Blinders aimlessly wonder the streets. He gave his back to the crew, sighing.

=====

Boris turned to Violet and smiled. 

"Ezra must somewhat trust you guys if he's willing to give you and your lady friend his catch." Boris chuckled. "He just tries hard to not show emotion but I personally think he's vorried about his family."

Jason heard Violet's story. "What a disgusting bunch you ran into. Desperation brings the worst out of people, it seems." Jason cut the rabbit into multiple pieces before placing it on a pan that he brought. He turns to Boris about Erza sharing the catch.

"I appreciate the kindness, but don't worry about me. Feed the women, since they need more food considering of what they just went through." He look towards the stove.

"Does the stoves work?"

"... Thanks." Violet almost hesitantly took the fish into each of her hands. The smell of freshly cooked fish made her stomach growl loudly.

"His family's still out there somewhere? Never heard that before. Are they up there in that so-called safe haven I've heard about a long time back?" She asked Boris, taking a bite out of the side of the fish in her left hand while keeping her eyes on Ezra's back. "Wish I knew where mine was," Violet mumbled almost soundlessly, sticking her tongue out to flick off a stray pin bone. 

"Back! I found gauze and lots of band-aids, which is pretty neat for me. Even got myself a new bite rag to use. Well, it'll be new once I give it a good scrub and boil it." Molly said as she entered the room gripping her newfound treasures. "Ooh, for me? Aw, Violet, you shouldn't have."

"Very funny. He said it's for you, so eat all of it." Violet held it out gingerly with her right hand. 

"Is that so? I'll be sure to return the kindness then." Molly took the fish and smiled. "Have to say we're thankful you're willing to share with us. I, uh... overheard the convo on my way back in." She admitted sheepishly.

"Yah, Ezra's vife and kids are safe in Portland but he had to stay behind because they refused to carry any more people." Boris said with his voice slightly lowered. "He's been separated from them ever since the first day of this madness over 15 years ago. Ve both decided to valk to Portland by foot, taking out any Blinders we see. He's devoted his life to try and reunite with his vife and kid--"

"Boris, I think that's enough. You talk too much sometimes..." Ezra said sternly as he walked back in the apartment, sliding the balcony door shut behind him. He turned to the girls and seemed to glare at them. His stare was intimidating but his sigh was of defeat. "Look, Boris and I are heading to Portland Oregon by any means possible. We're leaving really early tomorrow morning, when Blinders are the least active. You can tag along, or, as I said to Mr. Wayne, leave at your own expense."

While Boris helped out Wayne with the stove, he managed to get it to heat up with a couple of rough hits and constant pushing of buttons. He overheard Ezra and frowned slightly.

"But Ezra, the young lady is a doctor, she can be really helpful in critical times." Boris continued to make sure the stove worked properly for Wayne. "Even ve have limits, Ezra... Even you know a doctor vould be a nice addition to the group, she even came vith a bodyguard who can fight just as nasty as men!"

Ezra listened to all the points Boris said before pinching the bridge between his eyes. He knew Boris had a point but he was slow on trusting people so openly. With a doctor in the group, it would be great for them and good practice on a cure should she find one. A moment like this won't come again anytime soon so he decided to suck it up and nod to Boris. He seemed a bit annoyed, to say the least.

"Fine, I'll let them her stay but the decision remains hers and hers alone. Same goes for her girlfriend and Mr. Wayne." He didn't want to stick around any longer to hear anything else Boris might say. He headed to the door but stopped himself. "However, there will be one rule: Girls sleep in one apartment and boys in another. In times like this, crime is free game. The last thing I want to hear is for someone to get raped." He seemed to stare at Wayne specifically. "So no excuses from either side, got it?"

Ezra stared at everyone before leaving the apartment and heading to the one next door. He left the door open in case he was needed.

====

Boris watched Ezra leave and smiled at the group. How he tolerated Ezra was a mystery.

"Don't vorry so much about his cold demeanor... It means he's starting to trust you a little." Boris chuckled slightly before gathering any sort of food he can find. "But you should be getting some rest soon, ve get up very early tomorrow so rest as much as you can."

"As I said beforehand, I'll tag along, atleast until I'm out of this dreadful state." Wanye said. "And you don't have to worry about me. I have no interest of that either." 

Wanye prepared his cooked rabbit and placed it on multiple plates. "It's not much, but here." Wayne intended on sharing with the others since they did saved his life from encountering the blinders. Though his eyes grew cold about the word "family". 

"Yeah, family. What a loathe..." He mumbled to himself.

Molly rubbed the back of her neck nervously in response to Ezra's glare, but Violet's expression didn't change despite meeting his gaze head-on.

"No complaints here. Just because Violet's got a few missing digits doesn't mean she won't cut off someone else's anyway. Right?" Molly joked. "Girls have to stick together."

"You're too old for me." Violet muttered. 

"That's right, you still got the mind of a teenage girl after all. No time to be a kid when you could... I ain't that old though."

"Whatever." Violet fiddled with her skewer once she finished her fish. "I don't got anywhere to go, why not? If it beats trying to live in this shithole of a state, count me in."

"Me three! I bet they have some eggheads in a lab cooking up a vaccine somewhere. Wouldn't I like to get in on developing that! If not, at least it's a place to aim for. Wanderers never get far after some point." Molly rubbed her chin. "Wow! Rabbit too! I would've brought one myself, if it weren't for this mangy mutt messing up my trap out there..."

"He ain't peaches and cream, but at least he hasn't tried to cook up my other fingers for dinner..." Violet glared over at Molly, who smiled at the fact she managed to annoy her again.

Boris, without hesitation, took his plate of cooked rabbit with glee.

"Yes, yes! Thank you Mr. Wayne!" He ate the rabbit almost entirely in one bite. "I vish ve had a great cook around here. Ezra doesn't cook all too vell and neither do I. If Helga vas here, she vould make the best food!"

As the day turned to night, Boris went to the balcony doors and made sure to secure it so no one could enter. Every door was safely secured for the girls' apartment. He yawned loudly and made sure to double check any windows and doors in which people can enter through. Gathering all his trash, he tossed it out the open apartment door and scratched the back of his head.

"Vell, it vould be best to get some sleep now so that you guys can vake up fresh in the morning." Boris said while yawning again. "Take advantage of the beds, who knows when ve vill find another." He then glanced at Wayne. "I think it vould be best to go to the other apartment, Ezra made his rules clear."

Boris offered the girls a smile. 

"If you girls are being attack, don't be scared to scream, Ezra and I vill come help you out. Don't forget to lock your doors, ya?"

Boris took one last look around the small apartment and stepped out, heading to the one he, Wayne, and Ezra will sleep in. He found Ezra already asleep on a large sofa, leaving the two small beds for Wayne and Boris. Despite his cold and hard attitude, he seemed to want the best for the small group and wanted to start things off on the right foot. He seemed to have been asleep for a while normally because he would be the first one up. Boris was quiet as to not wake up Ezra. On the floor next to the sleeping Ezra was an empty box of plain cereal and some empty water bottles. Boris let out a sigh of relief knowing that he ate something. He opened one of the doors to a small bed and sat down on it, stretching his body.

"I hope that ve can all get along..." Boris said to himself. "Last thing ve need is more problems..."

Slowly but surely, Boris started to fall asleep, getting ready for the next day.

"Yeah, yeah..." Wayne said, following behind Boris. He noticed that Ezra was sleepy and noticed the two beds. He sat on the other bed and laid down. He placed his hands together and begin to mumbled something. 

"May the light seeks blessing." Wayne whispered as he head to sleep afterwards.

Violet and Molly departed to their designated sleeping quarters for the night, although Violet insisted on sleeping next to the door after Molly changed her bandages and cleaned the stitch sites.

"You know you can't stay up all night." Molly said to her companion.

"Don't care. After what happened to my hand, I'm not letting my guard down. For now, that is." Violet leaned her back against the wall and laid her bat down in the corner. Wrapping her jacket close to herself, she gripped her knife in her left hand. "Just go to bed. And so will I."

It took Violet longer to fall asleep on account that she found it difficult to ignore the throbbing pain of her stitched hand. The stinging pain dulled once exhaustion took over for her. Molly had no trouble doing so, being on a mattress for the first time in a long while.

Once the first sign of sunlight entered the living room, Ezra was already up and ready. He sat up from the sofa and noticed that a photo of his family fell to the floor. He stared at it for a moment then placed it in his pocket. He stretched his body and started to pack up any boxes of cereal and smaller food items in a backpack he had. He didn't know when will be the next time they find a place like this. He dug around the room Boris was in, intentionally waking him up. He dug in the closet and managed to find two hiker backpacks. He knew that Wayne and the girls will need to carry their own supplies so he took advantage of what he could find.

"Ah, morning already..?" Boris groaned. "Time flies..."

"Yeah, start packing things up, Boris. We leave in 10 minutes so you know the drill." Ezra said while opening a backpack and tossing it to Boris. "You'll carry the heavier load."

Boris nodded to Ezra while he made his way to the kitchen and began packing up knives, paper for fires, and any matches he could find to give to Wayne. Ezra, in the meanwhile barged in to Wayne's room with a loud ruckus. 

"Wake up, it's time to head out. Boris packed your bag so hurry up." Ezra said while heading over to where the girls and barging in. He slammed opened the doors the ladies were staying in. It was a rude awakening to everyone, to say the least. He purposely left the door open as he called out to them and gather supplies from the apartment. 

"Wake up ladies, it's almost 4:30 in the morning. We have to head up until we reach Georgia's border. The sooner we move, the less we come in contact with Blinders." He said while tossing a backpack on top of Molly's body. "Now hurry up and pack your medical needs. If you see any more backpacks, take them with you to carry more stuff. You have 10 minutes before we leave, so hurry up. I'll be downstairs to makes the coast is clear."

With all that is said, Ezra left the girls' apartment and began to open the barricade from the emergency stairs to move his way to the lobby of the apartment. Everything was quiet and there barely seem to be any Blinders in sight. The view that were visible were standing in place, completely motionless. It almost looked as if they were in some sort of deep-sleep. Ezra kept a close eye on the ones nearby and stayed close to the stairway.

(Alright Hairball, feel free to join in anytime. :p )

They had made it to Florida, where his ex-wife and daughter were supposed to be, all the way from Maryland. Only to find out that the house was abandoned with no sign of his ex’s family or his daughter. He was devastated for a while, but if there was no corpse, there was still hope for him. The house seemed to have been cleared of all clothing and personal belongings, supporting his hope that they were all alive and on the run.
 ​
He and his partner searched the streets and buildings of Florida for the past few years. They had met others, and witnessed more deaths, and escaped death countless of times, but still no sign of their loved ones. It was determined that today would be their last day before moving to the rumored safe area in Oregon. Hopefully, if his daughter had survived, she could be there. With a long journey ahead of them, Khan Bates needed all the sleep he could get.​
 ​
But just that wasn’t easy either. Insomnia had been his best of friends for over a decade. Every time he closed his eyes trying to get some sleep, he would start thinking of all the horrible things that could be happening to his daughter. And once he was finally able to do so, he would be startled by the slightest of noises. For Sure they had barricaded the doors and windows of the pizzaria, where they – more like where his travelling partner insisted on checking out – were staying for the night. But there was no guarantee what could happen.​
 ​
Speaking of partner… Khan was dozing in the corner where he sat when he was surprised by a figure jumping over the counter. Instinctively, he grabbed the crowbar by his side though he immediately lowered it.​
 ​
“Dude! Check this out!” The blonde man said enthusiastically.​
 ​
“Goddamn you Francis. I told you not to do that!” Khan hissed, but before he could continue his friend shoved something into his open mouth. “Mmhp-What the-?!”​
 ​
He spat it out. The piece of food dropped on his hands and revealed itself to be from a freshly baked bread. “Where on Earth did you find this???”​
 ​
“God gave it to me.”​
 ​
“What?”​
 ​
“Nah, just kidding. I made ‘em” Francis laughed at the confused look on his friend’s face. “Come, in the kitchen.” The man stood up and led the way.​
 ​
Khan, while annoyed, was confused by it and followed. “You can’t possibly bake!”​
 ​
“Remember what I found in Walmart?”​
 ​
“A pot. So what?”​
 ​
“It was a Camp Oven..” Francis stepped aside, revealing the pot. It was sitting on top of hot coal and had the lid also covered with coal. “The smell won’t go through the chimney this way. Sure glad they had some coals left in the oven. Had to dive in there to get them. And there’s flour all over the place!”​
 ​
Khan looked over and just now realized his friend’s clothing was way dirtier than last night. “Ok but wouldn’t the ingredients be expired by now?”​
 ​
“Yeah. They might ‘ve been like... a few years off. But who cares right?”​
 ​
“Francis. It’s been at least 10 years since this whole thing started. Who knows how long had those things been in there?“ Khan face-palmed. “You may die eating those!”​
 ​
“Aw come on. They don’t smell too bad.” Francis sniffed the bread.​
 ​
“I’m not touching them. No way in hell.”​
 ​
“Your choice then. Don’t come crying when you change your mind!” The blonde shrugged.​
 ​
“Don’t you f***ing wake me up again until It’s brighter.” Khan left the kitchen, cursing his silly friend under his breath.​
 ​
Francis watched as his friend went back to his corner to sleep. “Why is he always so grumpy?” He muttered to the bread in his hand. “Cause he’s a meanie that’s why.”​
 ​
He walked over to the windows. He slightly moved the blinds to peek outside. Nothing seemed to be moving.  He wished he knew what time it was. His watch was lost in one of the fights with the Blinders. They had managed to count the years using pocket notes but the time is usually wild guess.​
 ​
(Setting up for my guys xD You guys go ahead and do whatever. They’ll see you when you’re out in the street.)​

Wayne was already awake by the time Ezra barged into his room. He was thinking of whether or not it was a good idea to even travel with this group and furthermore, held a knife close to him, in case anything happen when he was asleep. Never take chances. Wayne thought to himself. 

Wayne gotten out of the bed and prepared his supplies to leave. He was still thinking that he should depart of the group and head out his own way. However, seeing that the blinders are in the masses around these parts, it would be wise to stick with the group until at least they leave the state. 

"I'm ready." Wayne said as he came down.

Molly yelped from the sudden noise, and she hardly knew what juat happened by the time Ezra lefr their room as quickly as he barged in. She groggily picked up the backpack Ezra had thrown at her and peeked into it. She shook it free of any dust before shoving her med kit in and her leftover belongings from the night prior. "What a wake-up call, huh?... Here, gimme your water bottle... Violet? Hey, Violet, where'd you go? Did you leave?"

"No."

"How come I don't see you? Oh." Molly sat up straight and saw Violet sitting right next to the door frame on the side opposite to the wall where the door slammed against it. She had a scowl on her face, which wasn't made any less unsettling by the fact her fringe covered her eyebrows. "Damn, if looks could kill... you alright? Doesn't look like you slept a wink!"

"I have. I just don't like being woken up." Violet lowered her left arm from the wall that had been pressed inches away from the door frame. Her swiss knife was wedged into the aged drywall briefly before falling onto the carpet.

"Jesus, Violet, you can't just do that! What if you actually got that stuck in a leg!?" Molly hissed as she got out of the bed. 

"Just because we got food and a bed doesn't mean I'd lower my guard. I might be missing my fingers but I'm not missing my common sense."

"I guess... just chill out a little. Sheesh." Molly checked Violet's bandages to see if they kept well through the night. "You look pale. Are you alright?"

"Peachy. I just would rather not remember about what happened the other day." Came her dry response. "You're carrying my stuff."

"Fine. If it makes my bodyguard bash some skulls in more efficiently." They double checked that they took all their wanted items before leaving and making their way to the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom