BoogaVerse Project

Shinecero said:
Loopy is mostly correct. The Brotherhood and Sisterhood are not classified as guilds since they are more like governmental body split in two factions ruling over Paradice. They train mages and sent them to various guilds to join (well, that was initially the idea anyways). In the new system where all Guilds are merging, the Magic Schools and the Heroes Organization is exempt from this.

Okay, did not know that. Very good information to know, and I feel better about the merging of the guilds then. My feedback is to separate the guild aspects from the governmental aspects. Let me attempt to explain. Have the player characters that want to be in the Slayers Guild be more the more adventurous characters, while having the Magic Society / Heroes Organization being the governing bodies in terms of law rather than the organization for those kinds of characters. For example, a mage character in the Slayers Guild would be under the laws of the Magic Society because they use magic, a super hero character would be under the laws of the Heroes Organization, etc. This way the player characters would all be under one organization, without the separation of parties that impeded BGV.

In case the above paragraph does not make sense: Heroes Organization is law writing and judicial stuff, Slayers Guild is for player characters who might follow laws from the Heroes Organization.

Shinecero said:
Yes, a revision would/could be in order. I should have added more context that things will be changing to fit the new standard just slightly. Originally, Monsters were animals exposed to chaotic energy. Deimos were descendants of Demons exposed of Neutral Energy.

What I’m aiming for that Demons break away from “evil spirits” for those that passed on with evil hearts in the Under World. So, under the revision, Demons are beings created by Lucifer for the sole purpose of war during the Crisis War. Once he was defeated, Demons were stranded on Booga. Overtime, they evolved into Deimos. Pure Demons are exceedingly rare—but they can be found in certain places in Booga. Deimos had various of tribes and went on their separate ways. Most remained in the new continent after the Paradice incident.

So that leaves animals. They turned into intelligence creatures (i.e. able to speak, used magic, powers, and tools), like that of Deimos. Should they be classified as such, or simply considered them as “monsters”?

For the new enemies, what I was thinking that a new type of force will be the focus for the Beast Slayers. I was thinking of classifying these types as “Eldritch Abominations”, unnatural forces fuel with Dark Energy that disregard the natural laws we know it. But I’m afraid that we might ran into too many classifications, unless you guys are fine with that? They will be playable for other players to use, but only as a villainous role.

I'm a tad confused but managed to follow the gist. I think combining "animals affected into different creatures" and "pure demons evolved into not pure demons" into the same category would be confusing to players. Giving them both the same label would conflate the two too much. Yes technically they're both the result of life forms mingling with both chaotic and neutral energy, but the bases are different. Too many classifications is a valid concern, but I think conflating things would be a bigger problem.

Alternatively, if Deimos and Animals were nearly indistinguishable aside from bloodlines, then I could see a case for them being under the same label, but I feel like that's not the intention.

Proposed clarification:
Deimos - Evolved from pure demons in the past, humanoid but monstrous with tribes and societies.
Monsters - Animals afflicted with chaotic energy, warped and disturbed, not always humanoid, but can be humanoid.
New enemy type

If I'm missing something here please tell me.

As for the new enemy type, I don't feel like its a great idea. The term "Eldritch Abomination" is grossly abused by TvTropes, and should generally only be used for creature types that defy the laws of existence. Obviously that's a very subjective definition. But using this name means every creature should be in some ways, impossible. Disregarding the natural laws is a good concept, but it can be hard to keep up.

On the other hand, if you want to have an enemy type that's nothing but horrific creations that will terrify the players, making them true Eldritch Abominations works.

TLDR: Deimos and monsters should probably be different names unless the types are the same, Eldritch Abominations are a high standard.

Shinecero said:
But here’s something that stray a bit different. The Boss will start off with shields that last for the duration of posts. For example, let say Negative creates a powerful barrier that protects him, which takes 5 posts to take it down. This means, Negative cannot be harmed as long the shield is up. However, if all 5 posts from players use it against the shield, on the 6th post, it’ll be destroyed and opened to attack. Here’s an illustration:

I really do not like this idea. In the current case of the Doom fight and Negative fight, they're stories first, built without any game concepts. Later on with a game concept already a part of the RP's premise, I could see it, but adding something like this in right now would be jarring. Secondly, setting a number of attack posts to destroy a shield makes things too equal, at least for the current cast's case.

Let's have, for example, Brachi VS Raune attacking the shield. Brachi uses a 10X Super God Kamehameha Blue attack on it. Raune slices it once with his super boosted strength. Both of those would be treated equally in terms of destroying the shield, but they don't make sense being equal from a story perspective. In addition, then it could raise questions of "how much damage does an attack have to do to count against shield health" along with "why use any attacks stronger than the shield's base requirement for draining it's health." If the RP had a game concept associated with it before hand I could see this better, but for the current attacks I see this as a bad idea.

Further more, it limits both the GM and the players. On the GM side, a super attack against the shield obviously would be more destructive against the shield than a regular attack, but the GM would have difficulty justifying any attack doing more than one post worth of damage to the shield's health. On the player side, it makes any support action much harder to justify doing than just zerg rushing the shield. That could erode teamwork both within and outside of the RP.

TLDR: I think the post amount = health concept is a bad idea.

Added the TLDRs in case my paragraphs don't make sense.

ShineCero said:
Yes, a revision would/could be in order. I should have added more context that things will be changing to fit the new standard just slightly. Originally, Monsters were animals exposed to chaotic energy. Deimos were descendants of Demons exposed of Neutral Energy. 

What I’m aiming for that Demons break away from “evil spirits” for those that passed on with evil hearts in the Under World. So, under the revision, Demons are beings created by Lucifer for the sole purpose of war during the Crisis War. Once he was defeated, Demons were stranded on Booga. Overtime, they evolved into Deimos. Pure Demons are exceedingly rare—but they can be found in certain places in Booga. Deimos had various of tribes and went on their separate ways. Most remained in the new continent after the Paradice incident.

So that leaves animals. They turned into intelligence creatures (i.e. able to speak, used magic, powers, and tools), like that of Deimos. Should they be classified as such, or simply considered them as “monsters”?

For the new enemies, what I was thinking that a new type of force will be the focus for the Beast Slayers. I was thinking of classifying these types as “Eldritch Abominations”, unnatural forces fuel with Dark Energy that disregard the natural laws we know it. But I’m afraid that we might ran into too many classifications, unless you guys are fine with that? They will be playable for other players to use, but only as a villainous role.

I agree with Grey here, I think it would be easiest to just refer to them as monsters and Deimos for the sake of simplicity: if they differ in terms of origins, they shouldn't be put into the same category. Monsters is fine for its purpose as a label since the specifier can be basically anything (i.e. Vampire, Werewolf, etc).

If these creatures you want to classify as Eldritch defy natural law and are in some way impossible to fully understand or ascertain the origins for their existence, and are meant to do nothing but basically make you go "WTF" this is a fine term to use. Plenty of media to draw enough inspiration from (SCP Foundation's certain entries, Bloodborne, etc), so it shouldn't be too much of a problem... If they are playable though, I guess there will have to be more guidelines to follow since they're a bit more specific than the casually free-range concept of monsters. The creatures themselves will probably actually be given a name that isn't such a mouthful, but Eldritch Abomination will do as a unique category.
====

Grey has more or less covered the gist of concerns about attempting a "this action requires 5 attack actions in a row to negate" type of move in the middle of a boss fight. Presently, we have operated without a system that uses the concepts of stats and attributes for combat; we've used our best judgement in interpreting described details of our attacks. It works fine and trying something new is also fine, but trying to do things meant for games with some hard-number system in place (simple or complex) will be too jarring. The result might not be very satisfying as it could've sounded in theory.

If a different approach to combat is something that you seek to incorporate, I'm open to the idea if other players are, but something like the example cannot be attempted with the current state of BV as-is because there is no hard 'system' that supports it.
The difficulty of making any custom system also lies with the fact we'd have to make one that doesn't involve rolling dice or math-y type stuff you see in tabletop games because we're doing fully narrative roleplay. It might be an undertaking that won't pay off much at the end.

If that’s the case, then we can settle on the classification as separate:
  • Demons = Creation by Lucifer, left stranded on Booga after the war ended. Very few Pure-blooded demons exist.
  • Deimos = Descended of Demons through evolution.
  • Monsters = Animals turned into monsters due to exposure of chaotic energy.
As for the Eldritch Abomination; this has lack to do with TVTrope’s usage of the term. Once BoogaVerse returns in a new format, there will be a new enemy type that escapes from the void (no longer bounded because of the reboot). These are horrific creatures filled with dark energy that o defy natural laws, so I think the term fits and should be the terminology for these new enemy types. Of course, they will have names of their own [individually] once they fully appear in the story proper.

===

I see both of your points, and I’m largely in agreement. I was more in so effectively changing it once the boss fight begins (since the boss fight technically didn’t happened yet in the actual game. It’s still treated as a normal fight, but when the boss fight starts, this would be tested on to see how it would work). 

It COULD be beneficial to see we could add something to the battle, but otherwise, the jarring nature can pose a problem. Furthermore, the issue with certain attacks being stronger than others can limit story beats and could turn into a simple game of mathematics rather than actual storytelling. I was more inclined of combining elements of DnD into BGV system (at least, the new version) in a story format. But we can leave this off for the table for now, but we can see if there’s some way we can add certain DnD elements for the new revamp BGV.

===

In addition, we come to agreement regarding the status of how BGV will be approached,
  1. Main Story
  2. Side-Chapter: Paradise
  3. Side-Chapter: Beast Slayers (Desolate Lands/Shina Ania)
  4. Side-Chapter: everything else on story elements not covered by the main story or other side chapters.
Another thing I want to bring up is the characters from one group visiting in another. For example, Edge-Man is from the Heroes Organization, but he often trails behind Whitney and the others. So he won’t be appearing in the main story, but rather in a side-chapter to get his summons back. Is that something you want to dive deep on? @"LoopyPanda"

Yeah, until I can really get any idea of how DnD works besides passively listening to Critical Role, we'll have to leave incorporating the game aspects out of the equation. I thought about trying to do it without dice or numbers for the narrative style and all I got was a headache. :lmao:

I don't mind putting that in a side-chapter since if we leave that hanging, it'd technically be a plot hole lol. I think that's everything to cover for now unless i forgot something
ETA: Z also wants to add one or 2 of her characters in with Whitney's gang for a side plot, so if we can coordinate those with Edge-Man's I think we'll be golden!

I agree with your classification Shine, and your definition for Eldritch Abominations. Seems like a good idea.

As for the game / DnD elements, incorporating them in the future is an idea worth considering.

I agree with the division of chapter systems for BGV, seems good.

Yeah, I’m currently in the process of buying the books once my economic status gets better. 

We can leave the DnD stuff out of it for now; mainly because I want see if we can add some interesting mechanic unique that doesn’t restrict the freedom of posting and avoid turning everything into a math class—and the randomness might put people off.

As for the gang for Whitney’s crew; I’m cool with that. Gives the small plot more life that isn’t about “destroying the world” or the sort. So yeah, Edge-man and the Whitney stuff is perfectly fine in my book (since they’ll be heading towards Big Apple to restore the summons).

EDIT: Also, the Magiana plot will most likely be taken within the Paradice Chapter since it deals solely with Magic.

BoogaVerse ~ Heroes Forces ~

After the events of the White Space which caused the entire universe to reboot, life returns to Booga, but new adversary are emerging. The Heroes Organization, renamed Heroes Forces, will be under a new leadership by Susie Charm. It deals with the chaotic aftermath of the reboot, Citrus-Man had used this towards his advantage to take over Empire State by seizing controls of more cities. Young heroes are tasked with recusing cities from Citrus-Man and the Lemons’ control and eventually take it down. 4

BoogaVerse ~ Magic Ascension ~

In this side chapter, we are focusing on the characters in Paradise. The threats of the Watchers’ Cults and Ancient Magic is on the rise. The magic schools combined into one—the magicians are caught in the world to protect magic from descending into tools of destruction. A rise of a new evil mage emerges from the Black Cromwell Castle.

BoogaVerse ~ Beasts Slayers ~

All guilds in Desolate Lands merged into one and renamed as Beasts Slayers. After events of White Space, the void that conceals all powerful creatures are running rampant in Desolate Lands and Shina Ania. Permission of the King, Beasts Slayers are task with protecting both continent against these creatures, along with other problems such as Enoym (I forgot her name, sorry!), Dalv Tribe, and more.

BoogaVerse ~ Great Story ~

In this side chapter, we take various adventures from small groups traveling across all the world and discovering unfamiliar places. Although threats are everywhere, these group are not deterred enough to stop—their taste of adventuring will strive. 

These are the titles for the upcoming revamp. We won’t release them at once, but it’s something to look forward too.

Back
Top Bottom