Big Cookbook

LoopyPanda

Black Jacket
Website
babyufo.tumblr.com
All of us have at least one recipe to share that can be prepared in a short amount of time or in a small portion of minimal money needed (and some recipes can be readily made with whatever you have in your pantry!) This is the Boogaloo Cookbook, a collection of quick and easy meals (or some yummy snacks) shared by the members right here!

As such, we ask that those who would like to submit a recipe use the format of what you would find in a real cookbook, with a list of ingredients and instructions and estimated prep time. Of course, they don't have to be exclusively your own; even one you found that can be a quick and easy recipe works. Please do not shitpost; anything indicative of such will be removed from this thread. Feedback on such recipes is welcome, however.

Chef Loopy's Brownie in a Mug!

Prep Time: ~10 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 1/4th cup flour (preferably All-purpose baking)
  • 1/4th cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa (Powder form like Hershey cocoa)
  • 1/4th cup water
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil (preferred)
  • Pinch of salt and cinnamon
  • Optional: 1-2 drops vanilla/almond extract or chocolate chips
  • 1 mug (ceramic generic shape with handle) and microwave
Instructions:

1) Mix all of the DRY ingredients together in the mug first. Add the liquid ingredients into it and mix with a fork or spoon until it becomes smooth and you do not see clumping.

2) If you want, now is the time to add nuts or chocolate chips

3) Pop in the microwave for 1 minute and 40 seconds (you may have to adjust it depending on your microwave). To test if the mixture properly baked, you can use the toothpick test to see if it comes out clean when you poke it in with the prongs of a fork. If not, stick it back in for 10 more seconds. Top off with a dollop of ice cream for optimum enjoyment (optional ofc).

Wow, that's sounds very interesting. If I never had an bad experience with the brownies, I would totally make that right now XD

I've been doing this since there wasn't anything but a packet of spaghetti and dried shrimp at home and I have like... MYR1 to my name. But I made some wicked fried spaghetti (Italian, with an Asian flair!) just with that and a packet of flavor paste for Asian-style fried noodles or rice vermicelli (I recommend Adabi, it's sooooo good)

And you don't need a lot of spaghetti either -- just about a fistful is enough if you're eating for one. 

EASIEST FRIED SPAGHETTI RECIPE

Prep time: 5-10 minutes

Ingredients:

Spaghetti, cooked al dente (about 3 minutes)
Premix paste for stir-fried Asian noodles - Adabi Bihun Goreng paste most recommended and should be available in Asian specialty stores. Otherwise, use a bit of ketchup and soy sauce, and a little bit of sugar
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
A handful of dried shrimp
Oil or butter for frying
(OPTIONAL) Chicken, sausage, bacon -- make sure you cook these first beforehand

How to:

1. Heat oil/butter in a pan or wok. Add in the sugar first and stir it for a couple of seconds.
2. Add in garlic and stir-fry until slightly golden and its aroma comes out. Lower the heat, add in the premix paste or the ketchup and soy sauce. Stir for a couple of seconds, add in the dried shrimp. At this point you can also add in whatever you want to add, like chicken or sausage. Fry for a few seconds.
3. Turn up the heat, and add in the spaghetti, fry for two-three minutes or until until everything is evenly mixed and the spaghetti has been evenly colored (that means the paste has been mixed evenly around the spaghetti)
4. Take the pan off the stove, serve it up and enjoy! 

A wok is most recommended to cook this (as with a lot of Asian dishes) but a frying pan works just as well!

And you can do this with other pasta too -- macaroni, fettucine, whatever your favorite pasta is. I prefer angel hair spaghetti since it's as closely Italian to rice vermicelli as it can get. 

I can't have shellfish, but man that sounds tasty! I'll probably use chicken in place of the shrimp on its own (I also love pasta... mmm). Definitely trying it! B) now I'm hungry. XD

LoopyPanda said:
Misua Cat said:
The brownie in a mug sounds great! :awesome:
Let me know how it tastes when you get around to trying it out! :p

Tried baking the brownie in a mug earlier except I didn't add the salt and cinnamon (will be adding salt later) and I used the ramekin and added one of the Hershey's Kisses.
12402131_1160292690649556_8286614790624753391_o.jpg

The brownie sure is moist. :awesome:

Syn said:
I've been doing this since there wasn't anything but a packet of spaghetti and dried shrimp at home and I have like... MYR1 to my name. But I made some wicked fried spaghetti (Italian, with an Asian flair!) just with that and a packet of flavor paste for Asian-style fried noodles or rice vermicelli (I recommend Adabi, it's sooooo good)

And you don't need a lot of spaghetti either -- just about a fistful is enough if you're eating for one. 

Ingredients:

Premix paste for stir-fried Asian noodles - Adabi Bihun Goreng paste most recommended and should be available in Asian specialty stores. Otherwise, use a bit of ketchup and soy sauce, and a little bit of sugar
Oil or butter for frying

How to:

1. Heat oil/butter in a pan or wok. Add in the sugar first and stir it for a couple of seconds.
2. Add in garlic and stir-fry until slightly golden and its aroma comes out. Lower the heat, add in the premix paste or the ketchup and soy sauce. Stir for a couple of seconds, add in the dried shrimp. At this point you can also add in whatever you want to add, like chicken or sausage. Fry for a few seconds.
3. Turn up the heat, and add in the spaghetti, fry for two-three minutes or until until everything is evenly mixed and the spaghetti has been evenly colored (that means the paste has been mixed evenly around the spaghetti)

A wok is most recommended to cook this (as with a lot of Asian dishes) but a frying pan works just as well!

And you can do this with other pasta too -- macaroni, fettucine, whatever your favorite pasta is. I prefer angel hair spaghetti since it's as closely Italian to rice vermicelli as it can get. 

The fried spaghetti sounds good too. :awesome:

Syn said:

Ingredients:

Oil or butter for frying

How to:

Damn. I would definitely tried this out tomorrow when we get all the stuff from the stores. I always love me some spaghetti and it's fried too? :goood: sign me up

when you dont have a rice cooker you can easily make rice in a pot.
just remember:

1 Cup of Rice = 2 Cups of water

1. Bring 2 Cups of water to a boil
2. Put rice in and stir until boiling again.
3. Put lid on rice and set stove to low for 20 minutes. (DO NOT TAKE LID OFF. THATS HOW IT COOKS AND WILL MAKE RICE WATERY)

thats it! i know this sounds simple but i know a few of my friends who keep screwing rice up

These all sound delicious! I actually wanna try them all but I need to get the stuff first! That fried rice is sounding mighty tasty but I'll make sure to eat it using Loopy's brownie in a mug! Masa's rice sounds simple and easy, I'm sure even I can cook that (I SUCK at cooking. xDD) Masa made my life easier. xDD

Found this recipe on the pack of the pancit noodles:

SPAMKATSU

2 packs Pancit Canton original 
2 slices canned luncheon meat 
2 beaten eggs 
1/2 cup bread crumbs 
2 tbsp vegetable oil 
1 thinly sliced onion 
1 cup water 
2 tsp sugar 
1 tsp soy sauce 
2 stalks sliced leeks 

Cooking Instructions:
1. Slice luncheon meat into desired thickness. Dip in beaten eggs and coat with bread crumbs. Fry in very hot vegetable oil. Remove and drain on paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
2. Boil noodles for 3 minutes. Drain water.
3. Heat a pan and pour oil. Sauté the onions. Add the soy sauce and seasoning together with water, sugar, and soy sauce. Add cooked noodles. Stir in the rest of the beaten eggs. Cook until eggs set. Transfer into a bowl, top with breaded luncheon meat, and garnish with thinly sliced leeks. Serve and enjoy!

I'm in the midst of planning for Passover, and there's a lot of food I have to make. I could share how to make charoset. It's a very simple snacky type thing. It can be eaten year round. Also, you don't have to celebrate it. This is an Ashkenazic version. It's not exact, since our family doesn't use an actual written out recipe.

It makes a lot. Maybe like 10 servings? 

Ingredients:
-2 medium-sized apples (cored, chopped)
-as much chopped or crushed walnuts as you want (almost equal in amount to the apples is what I do)
-grape juice (most people use a sweet red wine, but I can't have alcohol)
-cinnamon

Directions:
Put chopped apples in a big bowl. Add and mix in nuts. Pour in the grape juice enough to really wet the mixture. It tends to absorb the liquid quickly. Add a couple of dashes of cinnamon to the mixture. I usually find a lid for the bowl, put it on the bowl tightly, and shake the whole thing vigorously. (You could just stir it with a spoon, though.) And, it's pretty much done. 

That sounds very delicious. Looks simple enough that even I can make it. xDD

I'll give it a try when I have some cinnamon.

Yay! I'm glad it sounds good. I might add that I sometimes peel the apples before coring and chopping them. Sometimes, I don't have the energy to do that. It just depends if you want a 'rougher' looking mix, I guess. It's fun crushing the nuts with a mallet, too. ;) It's a very versatile nut. This is pretty simple. Especially if you have a utensil that both cores and slices the apples.

Is it possible to add honey to replace the cinnamon? I love honey a bit too much. Hell, I'll see if I can twist your recipe a bit. xDD

~ Z ~ said:
Is it possible to add honey to replace the cinnamon? I love honey a bit too much. Hell, I'll see if I can twist your recipe a bit. xDD

Some people add honey to theirs and keep the cinnamon. Personally, I think the apples and juice (or wine) make it sweet enough. I don't think I've had it with honey. You can most certainly try it with honey and without cinnamon. There are like a million different charoset recipes out there, but this one is just what our family does. Some use a medley of dried fruits. Some puree it into a paste. We usually like it chunky, though.

Misua Cat said:
Found this recipe on the pack of the pancit noodles:

SPAMKATSU

2 packs Pancit Canton original 
2 slices canned luncheon meat 
2 beaten eggs 
1/2 cup bread crumbs 
2 tbsp vegetable oil 
1 thinly sliced onion 
1 cup water 
2 tsp sugar 
1 tsp soy sauce 
2 stalks sliced leeks 

Cooking Instructions:
1. Slice luncheon meat into desired thickness. Dip in beaten eggs and coat with bread crumbs. Fry in very hot vegetable oil. Remove and drain on paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
2. Boil noodles for 3 minutes. Drain water.
3. Heat a pan and pour oil. Sauté the onions. Add the soy sauce and seasoning together with water, sugar, and soy sauce. Add cooked noodles. Stir in the rest of the beaten eggs. Cook until eggs set. Transfer into a bowl, top with breaded luncheon meat, and garnish with thinly sliced leeks. Serve and enjoy!

That sounds delicious. Noddles is consistently one of the top 5 things I love to eat, so I'll definitely give this one a try!

Back
Top Bottom