Things you hate about school?

I'm not in school anymore, but I would like to list stuff from my high school days: 

The kid who wouldn't stop making jabs at me. When I asked him why, he said 'Because, maybe if you would've lent me a pencil last year, I wouldn't do this'. I told the teacher to please move me seats,because I didn't want to sit next to this kid. Teacher told me to basically suck it up (this was senior year, and I was tired of dealing with this crap), so, I told the principal, and the kid finally stopped. Mom told me I should've just gone to the teacher. I did, but as I said, he did nothing. 

I only hung out with three other people, because they were the only 3 who were as open as I was about liking anime. The others would kinda egg me on to talk about it, and if I said anything, they'd make fun of me about it. 

This is only scratching the surface on how bad my high school is, but, I don't wanna make a text wall

Akiria said:
I'm not in school anymore, but I would like to list stuff from my high school days: 

The kid who wouldn't stop making jabs at me. When I asked him why, he said 'Because, maybe if you would've lent me a pencil last year, I wouldn't do this'. I told the teacher to please move me seats,because I didn't want to sit next to this kid. Teacher told me to basically suck it up (this was senior year, and I was tired of dealing with this crap), so, I told the principal, and the kid finally stopped. Mom told me I should've just gone to the teacher. I did, but as I said, he did nothing. 

I only hung out with three other people, because they were the only 3 who were as open as I was about liking anime. The others would kinda egg me on to talk about it, and if I said anything, they'd make fun of me about it. 

This is only scratching the surface on how bad my high school is, but, I don't wanna make a text wall

Jesus christ, I'm sorry that what happened to you. Sucks that teachers (and by large extension, the school staff), turned a blind eye to these types of things. 

----------------

This is the one thing that I noticed throughout my time in college. Many students seemingly lacked awareness of how to formatted their own papers when it comes to writing essays. Either students never heard of MLA/Chicago/APA formats, only used one of them (and in a vague way since they rarely tackled the topic) and it's poorly demonstrated by the instructors.

Then, they go to college and boom, they have no idea how to get the proper things professors wanted on whatever style they need to write in, and surprised that many students don't know what to do. Which brings me to my overall point, something got to be done to train students how to properly construct a paper, how to find sources and how to use them in like, middle school, then so late in the game. :think:

In my experience I learned MLA well for some reason but I continually have to google how to do APA stuff. One of the lie excuses I gave to get out of a project was that I don't know APA and hate it. I'm taking two sciences and two maths for this semester in college... Er...

I hate two things in particular. Maybe three now that I think about it... 

1. When a professor is making a very simple formula overly complicated.
2. When a school focuses more on 'State Exams'
3. "You should have already learned this from your previous class."

I especially hate the third one since this is a very common thing most college Professors say to avoid reviewing the topic...

There was also my Sociology teacher. I did not take her Psychology class. I was the only one in my class who hadn't. So, whenever she was teaching something, and wanted to bring up an example, she'd ask the class 'Who hasn't heard this story?' I'd raise my hand. The third time it happened, she literally said, "Well, you'll just have to ask another student about it. I don't want to repeat it'. 

YOU ARE A TEACHER. YES, I GET YOU HAVE TO REPEAT THINGS A LOT, ESPECIALLY FOR DIFFERENT CLASSES. BUT, IF YOU ARE CREATING AN EXAMPLE, DON'T SINGLE OUT ONE STUDENT. 

Then, there was one art teacher whom the school loved. She was very sweet and understanding. When she got pregnant with twins, everyone was buzzing with excitement! When she revealed she was having twin boys, we even gave her name suggestions! When she had her twins, she moved schools, still teaching art, because she needed to be closer to home, which is completely fine. The person who ultimately replaced her, however, was not. 

The new art teacher (and she still teaches art to this day there) was not good. She'd start a project with a deadline. Okay. Then, when one or even two people were done with the project, she'd start A NEW ONE. FOR EVERYONE. Then, when one got finished with that, SHE'D START ANOTHER NEW PROJECT FOR EVERYONE. THEN, she'd get pissed when no one had work done on time, stating 'Why do you guys not turn things in by the deadline dates? I give you plenty of time to do them, don't I?" 

Ugh. 

There's even more, but, I'll do it little by little.

Jesus christ, what kind of high school did you go, @"Akiria"? :lmao:

---

This is one of my pet peeves with students, then teachers, but I hate it when teachers asked a question, literally no one raises their hands, and it remains silent for 10 minutes.

Grey Star said:
In my experience I learned MLA well for some reason but I continually have to google how to do APA stuff. One of the lie excuses I gave to get out of a project was that I don't know APA and hate it. I'm taking two sciences and two maths for this semester in college... Er...

Citationmachine was a lifesaver when I was doing APA citations, man.

I hated doing Chicago style though. I always find it a pain because not only is the citation style different in Bibliography vs. Footnotes, but the Footnotes/Endnotes also have to be used! Like wth I never knew how to use chicago until I took a History of Science class and the professor was confused at why we didn't know how to cite properly until she remembered we were all Biology majors-- i think only 1 other student was a History of Science major. But she was a cool professor and was patient with walking us through it since students like me only cite from journals and the occasional book-- not documentaries, interviews, or audio recordings that the other kids were used to. I enjoyed that class heavily however, and I intend on taking a different class from her next semester in my Honors class.

=====

I hate that I need to visit two different departments to be able to enroll in anything-- one for Biology to lift the general registration window, and the other for Honors College to let me actually take their classes despite not being a degree giving department. Lmao

@"ShineCero" A fuckin' terrible one xD

-There was the teacher who barely taught anything, gave us really hard questions, and when we asked her for help, she always rolled her eyes and barely helped us. Then she made a stink when all of us were failing. It was an elective that didn't really matter, but, :/

-The girl who LITERALLY BIT MY FUCKING ARM because this girl we were both friends with was hugging me, and SHE wanted a hug, too, so to get me away, SHE LITERALLY BIT MY ARM. I told the principal, and she had to be sent home early, and she had to write me an actual letter of apology. 

-The table my group of friends sat at every single day in high school  for lunch was taken over by these boys for a few days. My friend sat her stuff at one of the seats to save our table. The punks were still there, except at that one seat. When we basically said "Dudes. What the hell?" and one was like "Well, she can sit with us. She saved one seat. For her." So, because she was the first one at the Auditeria every day, she started setting her books at EVERY seat, and when we got the table, we'd give her her stuff back. The boys stopped bothering us after that. 

And that's really all I can remember of my fucking terrible high school

Grey Star said:

LoopyPanda said:
Citationmachine was a lifesaver when I was doing APA citations, man.

I hated doing Chicago style though. I always find it a pain because not only is the citation style different in Bibliography vs. Footnotes, but the Footnotes/Endnotes also have to be used! Like wth I never knew how to use chicago until I took a History of Science class and the professor was confused at why we didn't know how to cite properly until she remembered we were all Biology majors-- i think only 1 other student was a History of Science major. But she was a cool professor and was patient with walking us through it since students like me only cite from journals and the occasional book-- not documentaries, interviews, or audio recordings that the other kids were used to. I enjoyed that class heavily however, and I intend on taking a different class from her next semester in my Honors class.

That's the problem with a lot of students, even History Majors. Since these styles aren't taught in none of the schools (if they are, tehy are extremely limited that it's basically useless anyways). If there's an attempt for education reform, essay formats and citation styles NEEDS to be touch to the students; all of them. Or at least, give to students that will focus on a specific major.

Akiria said:
@"ShineCero" A fuckin' terrible one xD

-There was the teacher who barely taught anything, gave us really hard questions, and when we asked her for help, she always rolled her eyes and barely helped us. Then she made a stink when all of us were failing. It was an elective that didn't really matter, but, :/

-The girl who LITERALLY BIT MY FUCKING ARM because this girl we were both friends with was hugging me, and SHE wanted a hug, too, so to get me away, SHE LITERALLY BIT MY ARM. I told the principal, and she had to be sent home early, and she had to write me an actual letter of apology. 

-The table my group of friends sat at every single day in high school  for lunch was taken over by these boys for a few days. My friend sat her stuff at one of the seats to save our table. The punks were still there, except at that one seat. When we basically said "Dudes. What the hell?" and one was like "Well, she can sit with us. She saved one seat. For her." So, because she was the first one at the Auditeria every day, she started setting her books at EVERY seat, and when we got the table, we'd give her her stuff back. The boys stopped bothering us after that. 

And that's really all I can remember of my fucking terrible high school

:lordy: That girl needs jesus

-------------------------------------

I also never understand why college requires general education to be completed when that shit is already done in HS. Why just go straight to the major that doesn't require 100+ units to get an BA?

I have a couple nightmare teacher stories. The first one actually kinda liked me personally, but he was still a nightmare. Heller was his name, my 10th-grade geometry teacher. He absolutely HATED anyone talking in class, and this was a suburbia kinda school I was in for just a year, most stereotypical high school ever (think Daria) so naturally, everyone was a chatterbox. The mo'fukka would assign extra homework to the entire class anytime anyone talked, I'd go home a lot of days with literally like 100 extra problems to solve and I was just out of a special ed school they threw me in for behavioral problems when I was a kid and sort of adapting to the heavier workloads everywhere. I was an honor student in the school I transferred to after (which was a top 50 public school in my state at the time, and I'm from NJ which was 2nd in the US back then for public schools) but there I was struggling like hell because I had to devote so much time to that asshole's class. 

Then, of course, there was my 1st-grade teacher who was determined to get me expelled for the aforementioned behavioral problems, the bitch scribbled purple crayon all over the floor and when nobody was in the room she pulled me in the damn classroom and was like "you did this!" and blamed me for it. Was kicked out by December lol

ShineCero said:
I also never understand why college requires general education to be completed when that shit is already done in HS. Why just go straight to the major that doesn't require 100+ units to get an BA?

I dunno why but let's just say it happens to be convenient when it's obvious I didn't pay enough attention and don't work on a college level.

JamesYTP said:
Then, of course, there was my 1st-grade teacher who was determined to get me expelled for the aforementioned behavioral problems, the bitch scribbled purple crayon all over the floor and when nobody was in the room she pulled me in the damn classroom and was like "you did this!" and blamed me for it. Was kicked out by December lol

I had a friend who quit their job over simple mistakes and is currently unable to support themselves. I often feel like quitting my job because my customers depress me some days. But, getting someone else in trouble because they're unable to handle the person? That's a new low I've heard of.

JamesYTP said:
I have a couple nightmare teacher stories. The first one actually kinda liked me personally, but he was still a nightmare. Heller was his name, my 10th-grade geometry teacher. He absolutely HATED anyone talking in class, and this was a suburbia kinda school I was in for just a year, most stereotypical high school ever (think Daria) so naturally, everyone was a chatterbox. The mo'fukka would assign extra homework to the entire class anytime anyone talked, I'd go home a lot of days with literally like 100 extra problems to solve and I was just out of a special ed school they threw me in for behavioral problems when I was a kid and sort of adapting to the heavier workloads everywhere. I was an honor student in the school I transferred to after (which was a top 50 public school in my state at the time, and I'm from NJ which was 2nd in the US back then for public schools) but there I was struggling like hell because I had to devote so much time to that asshole's class. 

Jesus christ dude! What the heck did you do that made her go after a first grader? :lmao:

That's some rage, lmao!

===========

I never understand why art schools are so fucking expensive compared to regular schools. :thonk:

School in general is expensive. Wack

I hate when ur in a discussion but your participation grade is basically dependent on your ability to respond to questions that you may or may not immediately understand the answers to, and if you don't figure out a way to work your answer into the class discussion, they will move on to the next discussion point without you

I also hate when one of the other classmates goes into a really longwinded response that prompts the professor to ask if anyone has anything to say, and you're like .... "wtf CAN I even say if he's already covered everything?"

I've been told there are some days I don't say much, even though I try to speak at least once or twice on something important, but they seem to forgive that I try to make good points of discussion when I get the chance to speak

I really hate it when professors teach you the bare minimum of something and expect you to solve the most advanced and complicated questions of that subject. It's kinda like you just learned how to walk and your professor says you are ready to challenge the Olympic Marathon Champions or Usain Bolt. 

What makes it even more frustrating for me is that the professor doesn't even try to lower his standards because A FEW STUDENTS get it. He believes that if 3 students understand, then the WHOLE CLASS understands. That's not the case! 

Unfortunately, I did not do so good in the last two tests and I was pretty ashamed of myself, especially since I understand the topic. I thought that I was the dumb one in class and I began to lose confidence in my abilities. Especially when the 3 students mentioned above sit right next to me, showing off their perfect grades. (Hell, one of them got mad because she got a 97%... when it was the highest grade in the damn class!) However, when I talked around the class, not a lot of people did well. One kid in particular only got 4 questions out of 40 right, so I guess I can't really complain about getting 20. As I listened to the students, they all seem to agree on one major thing: The professor over complicates everything and sets unusually high standards for his students. He refuses to go over the harder questions (which he puts in the test, btw) and expects you to solve these high-level questions with only basic knowledge of previous topics. I don't think that's fair, and while it works for some students, I doubt it works for all.

ShineCero said:
Jesus christ dude! What the heck did you do that made her go after a first grader? :lmao:

That's some rage, lmao!

===========

I never understand why art schools are so fucking expensive compared to regular schools. :thonk:

A lot, don't remember much but I do remember using her shirt as a kleenex lmao. I was pretty bad I admit lmao

When higher level math is being taught as a lecture, by a quiet professor who writes so badly we cant read it and erases too soon for us to complete our notes. Then when asked for why it is a lecture they claim that students wanted this, WHO THAT WANTS TO LEARN WOULD CHOOSE A LECTURE FOR MMMAAATTTHHH

JamesYTP said:
ShineCero said:

That's some rage, lmao!

===========

A lot, don't remember much but I do remember using her shirt as a kleenex lmao. I was pretty bad I admit lmao

Haha, but bad enough for the teachers that wanted to kicked you out? You must've piss in her coffee one day :lmao:

I also hates students who never shut the hell up and wants to challenge authority when a teacher is lecturing. It's mainly high school (and especially freshmen year) and never college, but christ :wagh:

ShineCero said:
I also hates students who never shut the hell up and wants to challenge authority when a teacher is lecturing. It's mainly high school (and especially freshmen year) and never college, but christ :wagh:

YES. YES. YES.

I HATE the kids who think they're super tough and cool just because they talk back to a teacher. It doesn't make you cool or funny! It makes you look like an annoying prick. UGH. You talking back to a teacher is such a disrespect to not only the teacher but the students who are trying to learn. 

There was this one incident in my college class (My freshman year) that this one kid would always talk back to the professor or crack jokes during class. It was super annoying and I absolutely hated it. It didn't make it better that the dude has his BFF from high school supporting his dumb actions. One day, a student in my class had enough and called him out. Long story short, it went a little something like this.

Prof: *Talking about stuff and tells Prick to get off his cell phone.*
Prick: Yeah, okay whatever... *ignores and continues.*
Prof: Sir, please get off your cell phone, I won't tell you again.
Prick: *Laughs with friend* Yeah, okay Prof, gimmie a sec.
Chad: YO, get off your damn phone! You're seriously being a little bitch right now.

*The two argue for a bit before the Chad student lays it down on the kid.*

Chad: You ain't funny. Go home with your friend and suck each other off since that's all you seem to do. Anyways, Prof, why don't you just call security, I wanna see them say half this shit to a security, they ain't got the balls.

Since then, the main prick never came back to class and his buddy never opened his mouth to say a word, almost like he was shy or something. Ironic since he couldn't keep his mouth shut earlier...

The people who would talk about their sexual endeavors from the weekend (or even previous night) in normal conversation. 

And, there was also one girl, who, I was in my senior year, and she was a freshman. I was heading to class, and I heard her exclaim to her friend, 'Oh! It's my dream to be on 16 and Pregnant!' and her friend said 'OMG, I love that show! It'd be so cool to see you on there!' I was generally worried for her the rest of senior year

Back
Top Bottom