The Snowy Mountains

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Maybe you should adjust those headphones of yours.” Liza told Lyrik. “We’re going to Iceik’s tribe and burying him there. The problem is finding it and, well, if they accept intruders stepping into their territory.”

“If I recall, the Ice Wolves usually hangs out in caverns. Didn’t we encounter that weird machine in a cave?” Bob tried to remember the details.

"That cave was definitely empty..." Asuza remarked. "We could try and look for a cavern near a group of trees? Axes aren't just for killing things... maybe they like to do some woodwork in their free time?" She joked. "At any rate, maybe we could keep an ear out for their howling and follow the sound."

"Maybe those trees will help block off the worst of these blizzards," Lyrik said, rubbing his arms to warm himself. "We should probably look for some other signs of Ice Wolves lurking around, like howls or footprints."

"Do you think if we howl like a wolf, they'll come to us?" Nicori said.

"Yeah, maybe, along with any other monster that can hear us. Not a good idea, kiddo." Lyrik laughed nervously.

“Yeah, what he said.” Liza followed up on Lyrik suggesting Nicor to not do it. “Last thing we want is to get trashed by monsters.” She turns to Vox, remembering that moment where her energy was definitely wasn’t Neutral. “Yeah, we don’t need monsters coming in our direction.” 

“Ice Wolves have a usual pattern of sending about three or four for scouting. They usually seek out food in certain spots where blizzard is strangely not active.” Wrath finally said something. He was sitting on Nicori’s shoulders. “It should be… a bit north from here. You’ll notice once the Blizzard starts to die down.”

“Oh, it’s the doll. It talks.” Bob was surprised.

“I ain’t a doll! I just got tired of ya’ll asking too many questions.” Wrath said.

"Two wasn't too much to handle for me but four might be troublesome if they're all strong." Asuza rubbed her chin. "I guess Ms. Z found some use for you if she wanted us to drag you along," she remarked about Wrath before heading north. "Makes me wonder what else is out here we need to worry about."

"Cool, my toy talks." Nicori smiled before petting Wrath on the head. "Looks like Mama had the right idea when she made you into a toy, huh? You sure know a lot about these Ice Wolves. Do they usually attack newcomers?"

"That little toy can prove useful if he knows a lot about these Wolves." Lyrik said. "Well, I guess there's nothing else to do but head north. Let's see if this little guy is right."

“Hey, I’m very useful. You’re lucky to even have one of the deadly sins of the Wat---I mean, me on your team.” Wrath stopped himself. “Anyways, the Ice Wolves usually calm, but once they start hunting for food, they’ll become aggressive. Thankfully, there aren’t any other monsters that pop up to eat humans in the north.”

“Hmm? Why’s that?” Liza asked.

“While Ice wolves prefer meats, some monsters managed to convert snow into a valuable food source. And since this place is constantly snowy… I say they’re set for life.” 

“Then we won’t have to worry about being attack by them.”

“No. I said they won’t eat you, not that they won’t hurt you.” Wrath warned. “I say proceed with caution.”

====

With enough distance, they noticed an alarming amount of cavern at certain spots. Sounds of howling can be heard and the blizzard storms isn’t as intense as before.

“I smell fire.” Bob said. “Looks like something is being cooked.

"Sounds like there are wolves nearby." Nicori stayed close to Asuza. "Well, let's just hope they don't attack us. We should be careful either way. I mean... what are we going to tell them? Mr. Iceik died in the Sisterhood thanks to a crazy guy? What if they don't take kindly to that?"

"Well, I guess we should keep things simple. As long as we don't make it look like we killed Iceik, then I guess they should understand, right?" Lyrik shivered in the cold. "Say, little toy thing... you mentioned something about deadly sins. What do you know about that, huh? You also better not be thinking about giving us a hard time, y'hear?"

"Right. They definitely won't flip their lid when a human from Paradice of all places comes and hands them a box of their friend's remains to say he was murdered." Asuza deadpanned sarcastically to nobody in particular. "What could possibly go wrong?"

Without wasting time, she trekked her way towards the fire, leaving deep footprints in the snow as she walked. "Oh well. Time to crash their party. The sooner we get this over with, the faster I can work out who I'm gonna torch first..." she muttered in contempt. "Getting my ass kicked twice in a row, unbelievable... I'll make them both regret letting me live." The snowflakes caught in her hair evaporated as soon as they touched her body.

"But maybe I should give the wolves the axe before I break the news to them... that might be easier."

“It’s nothing that you need to be concern of, DJ man.” Wrath insulted Lyrik. “Focus on the mission on hand, then worrying about a tiny, harmless toy like me.” 

“Since you knew him the longest, we’ll let you take the lead on speaking with his kin, but if they attack… we’re be on our guard. Vox, make sure you provide a proper buffer instead they decided to side-blind us… they are wolves.” Liza asked. She notice that Asuza wasn’t herself and clearly pissed off. So, she didn’t want to push her buttons, and in turn, get burnt by her fury.

As Asuza approached the fire, there as a pack of wolves surrounding a rather large lumps of meat, slowly roasting. All of them turned their heads towards the newcomers entering their land. Few of them were quadrupedal, but majority of them around the flames were bipedal, holding weapons in their hands.

“Humans?” One of the spoke out. “There’s a bunch of humans here!”

“Not all of them, I scent that some of the are Monsters…and a Demon? Not sure…”

“You have a lot of gall coming here.” He raised his weapon against Asuza. However, he sense dreaded feeling of hostility coming from her. He took a step back, seeing her feet blazing through the snow, melting them with ease. “…You’re looking for a fight!?”

Vox says "do what you think is best Asuza." Vox may not seem it but he is ready for an ambush far before now.

"W-Wait, hold on!" Lyrik held his hands up, trying to calm the beasts before anything got out of hand. "We're not here to fight! We just came to your lands to bring some news. Something tragic happened to one of your fellow wolf comrades." 

Lyrik grew nervous and lowered the volume of his music, hoping that the calm tunes he played would help level the atmosphere between the two groups. He took a step back towards Asuza, mostly for the heat she provided.

"Hey, Asuza, I think we should give them the axe or something. You knew Iceik better, so I think you should explain. Besides, they look a bit intimidated by you..."

Nicori giggled as he followed along in Asuza's footsteps, pretending as if he was the one who melted the snow. He remembered to stick close to Asuza like he promised and faced the wolves, his smile grew wide as he desperately wanted to pet them. He stood in front of Asuza, giving the wolves a wave.

"Woooooowie! There's a bunch of them! I've never seen so many wolves before. They're so cool looking!"

"Kiddo, you might wanna lower your voice, you might spook them." Lyrik whispered.

Asuza listened intently to Lyrik and Vox, nodding once to assure them before she faced the wolves.

"A fight with you? No. It would be meaningless." Ensuring Nicori was in a safe proximity, she took the crystal containing Iceik's axe and released the weapon inside it. She placed the heavy bladed end of the axe into the snow, keeping her hands on the handle. "I don't typically go around terrorizing beasts for fun."

"This belongs to Iceik-- our friend and yours. He was travelling with us when we were trying to take back this little one's mother to her place in Paradice," Asuza gestured toward Nicori by patting him gently on the head. "Except, a mad wizard calling himself Negative was waiting for her. When we refused to hand her over, we-" she cleared her throat. "We were thrown aside by force with no way to resist him. And that man killed Iceik in cold blood." Her tone grew venomous at the mention of him, eyes narrowed with bitterness. "That is the person I want to fight. We came here so that we can give Iceik a proper resting place. After that, we'll be out of your hair."

One of the Wolves called Iceik’s axe on the ground and caught a whiff of his scent on it. There’s no doubt in their minds that this belong to their friend. “Iceik…”

“We need to inform the Chief.” Another answered. Al the wolves were taken aback that one of their own was killed, by an evil wizard of all things.

“Did he die with honor? The Chief would want to hear that his son fought to the bitter end.” Some of the wolves ran off to alert the chief about the message and bring him to the group.

Another wolf, Coldy, approached them. He was a bit older than the rest of the young wolves. “Iceik was always the hyperactive one and a proud warrior. May I have his axe?”

"Mr. Iceik tried to rip that nasty Negative apart! But Negative was too strong," Nicori said. "Even Mama couldn't stop him..."

"Yeah, your friend died fighting down to his last breath," Lyrik added. "We were just completely overwhelmed by this wizard... Iceik seemed to be the only one who kept fighting."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom