The Reality Vortex: Shadow Games

“What are you talkin’ about? I’m not a leader.” Avalon pouted before looking at Spina briefly. “I just want what’s best for the group, that’s all. We should have everyone here and support one another, right?”

Avalon stared at Lucifer, his words confusing him. He did not feel like a leader and should not be looked at one.

It’s a lot of responsibility… I couldn’t save my brothers or my sister. If I can’t help them, what hopes do I have to help the Breakers…? The ninja shook his head, trying to get rid of those thoughts that loomed over his head. No, now's not the time. Don’t think about that, Avalon.

His attention came back to reality as soon as Lucifer mentioned using the scroll to find Zenta.

“Oh! That’s right, I nearly forgot.” Avalon dug in his pocket and yanked out his scroll before zipping it open. “I managed to train for a short while with Zenta back in Rogue City, no doubt he touched the scroll at least once.”

Luckily, Avalon was right and a drawing of Zenta began to form in the scroll. It was blurry, but distinguishable. Something odd was happening to Zenta’s picture, as well as the short description the scroll had of it. It would constantly contort and morph on the scroll, occasionally showing a different person altogether. The short description of the beast would also change, particularly his name. It would occasionally add letters, mostly at the end of his name. Avalon pulled his head back, confused after seeing his scroll act funny.

“Zen…ko?” Avalon squinted at his scroll. “Why’s it actin’ all weird? C’mon, we gotta find Zenta soon. Zen-TA, not Zenko.” The ninja scolded his scroll before it returned to normal, giving out the correct information about Zenta. “There we go. Now…”

Avalon performed a single hand sign with one hand, and a tuff of smoke poofed out from his hand. Once the smoke disappeared, a tiny paper sparrow appeared.

“Think you can lead us to Zenta, lil’ guy?” Avalon asked the Sparrow. The sparrow chirped twice before flying off towards a cliff overseeing the ocean. “Looks like it picked up on Zenta. C’mon guys, let’s hurry.”

The wings of his main bird stretched and flapped as it followed the tiny bird.

As Zenta sat quietly at the edge of the cliff, his ears flicked at the fluttering of tiny wings heading his direction. There was a long moment of silence before he let out an annoyed sigh, shifting up onto his feet. As the waves crashed on the cliffside, a light, and gentle spray of water lifted and sparkled in the sun. Zenta kept his back turned, even as the Sparrow arrived. It perched on the beast’s shoulder, chirping a little song. Zenta kept his gaze towards the horizon, not batting his attention even as Avalon closed the gap between them.

Avalon landed on the ground behind Zenta, watching the Beast in a trance-like state watching the horizon. He did not know what to say, knowing that Zenta is most likely feeling down.

“Uhh, hey Zenta. You okay?” Avalon said sheepishly. He did not want to get too close to Zenta, not knowing what kind of reaction he might have.

Zenta said nothing to the ninja.

“Uhm, well, we should regroup with the others. Clark said he was going to show us around Beach City. Doesn’t that sound cool? We finally get to relax!”

Again, Zenta remained silent.

“C’mon Zenta, don’t you think we should pat ourselves on the back for beatin’ the Red King? We were great!”

“I would rather stay here,” Zenta finally spoke. “My presence will change nothing if I were to tag along.”

"...Let's just say I was expecting way bigger trouble," Berserk rubbed her neck. After Avalon took his leave, she leaned in close to Lucifer so her voice was low and secretive. "Say, I've been thinkin' about that Magatama-thingy- Is it still on the table? I wanna know a little more about it while we're able to talk alone."

"Sorry for the delay, I was having a bit of a deliberation with the supers," Bernkastel called out from the exit of Clark's house. "However long this peace remains, I thought it'd be wise to let Clark take us around the city," she told Spina from the bottom of the cliff he stood on. "A nice change of pace, wouldn't you agree? Maybe you didn't have it in mind but I think this will benefit the whole group while their minds clear up-- besides, it would be a shame if something interesting came along while you're off elsewhere."

"... I just want to see everyone smile and be merry for a bit. That's all," the Witch added before she took off close behind Avalon.

========

"Come now, what would staying here do? Become a perch for the gulls?" Bernkastel replied as she walked up behind the two on the ocean perch. Unlike Zenta, she sat on the rock with her back turned to the sea so she had a clear sight of his face. She studied him closely before breaking the resistant silence once more.

"... Being silent also changes nothing. If you don't say what's on your mind, I'll start splashing seawater on you and rub sand into your fur," Bern joked bluntly. "Even if I magically guess, I can do nothing if you don't speak."

“Yeah, Bernkastel’s right.” Avalon added. “Ain’t no shame in lettin’ us know what’s buggin’ you.”

“Nothing in particular is bothering me.” Zenta said. “I just wish to be alone.”

As Bernkastel stood before him, the beast’s face didn’t change and was very hard to decipher as he spoke to Avalon. He did not have a mean tone towards Avalon, but it was a little unsettling. Only until she joked about getting his fur dirty did he chuckle softly. The tone was still gloomy despite his laugh.

“I rather my fur be spared from your wrath, Lady Bernkastel.” Zenta smiled before he paused to let out a long, defeated sigh. “But I suppose I cannot hide anything from you…”

The beast sat back down, letting his head drop and his shoulders slump. Finally, his emotions were more visible and his actions clearer. His ears lowered to be flat on his head, and his body language showed his grief.

“I wonder, if I made the right choice…” Zenta said to no one in particular.

“With Cuki?” Avalon questioned. “Don’t beat yourself up, Zenta! Cuki’s super tough, I bet she can handle anythin’ after the whole Red King incident!”

“It is not her strength I worry about, but what she is not telling me…” Zenta’s face contorted, showing a hint of worry. “I feel as if I lost Cuki to an invisible current, and as she cried out for help, I simply stood there…” Finally, Zenta’s frown formed. A deep frown. “She is all I had left yet, I continue to lose the ones I care for, so perhaps it is best I stay here…”

Avalon frowned before glancing at Bernkastel.

“That’s not true, what about Bernkastel? You told her that she’s precious to you. Doesn’t that count for somethin’?”

There was a pause before Zenta spoke up, his voice defeated.

“I am simply a servant to her will. Whether she chooses to see value in someone like me is a decision only she can make.”

Outside of Clark’s Home

After Avalon’s departure, Lucifer wondered about his next move. There were several avenues that the angel could partake in. Avalon has consistently been adamant on pushing himself into the frontrunner of the group. Zenta had disappeared; undoubtedly feeling despair behind his choices. Bernkastel has demonstrated an explosive growth in both power and personality recently; even Vegetto’s toxicity no longer holds significant influence over her.

“Quite a delicacy,” Lucifer was quite excited to see how the end of these roads would unfold. Before he could decide, his attention shifted to Berserk when she approached him. “Ah,” the angel smiles with glee. “It’s always on the table.”

He wonders why Berserk whispered to him; her tone felt cautious compared to her usual self. It didn’t take long that Berserk to be concerned about what others would think of her. “Worry not, Berserk. Your concerns are unmerited; nothing should stop you from seeking new avenues of strength.” Lucifer placed his hand on Berserk’s shoulder. “You don’t owe them anything, especially Avalon. You’re here for the sole purpose of defeating Ultraman, right?” The angel’s eyes trails away from her to the arrival of Bernkastel, Clark and Vortex Man. “He’d managed to defeat Bernkastel and Gogeta at their peak. You’re strong, but you hit your limit. I can ensure that your limits will crumble as you ascend, and you will accomplish that goal.”

Lucifer jumped off the rock and stood up straight after some light stretches. “If you’re serious, then I’ll happily obliged about its process. Once everyone is here and these Supers give a tour guide of this city, we shall take a little walk together on our own.”

==

Spina didn’t respond to Bernkastel. Instead, he turned his head slightly and stared her down with wild eyes. After Bernkastel left with Avalon to seek out Zenta, Vortex Man approached the old Saiyan after seeing him refusing to follow her and the others.

“You’re not going? That Witch seems… concern about you. I don’t know who this Zenta is, but based on what I heard, he seems to be in a dark place.” Vortex Man was a bit weirded out from Bernkastel’s explanation on wanting people to smile. “You should help out your friend—"

“If Zenta cannot pull himself together, then he can disappear.” Spina’s tone was harsh and straight to the point. “He, like that bastard Vegetto and Gogeta, is just another person infatuated with Bernkastel. I’m sure he’ll recover the moment she says something to him like a pathetic dog.” The old Saiyan jumped from the boulder, landing in front of Vortex Man.

Vortex Man didn’t move when Spina stood in front of him. The Kryptonian stared into the old Saiyan’s eyes. The same eyes filled with determination that Hart once had. “And what makes you stand out?”

Spina tilted his head slightly, accompanied by a frown. “I see her as her. An equal. A rival. A mountain to climb. Mutual respect. Nothing more. Nothing less.” After a slight pause, the old Saiyan spoke once more. “Ultraman, right? You defeated Bernkastel at her peak. That makes you a worthy opponent. I wonder how I fare against you.”

Vortex Man remind silent. He didn’t put his defenses up since he didn’t feel any malicious intent from the Saiyan. However, his body was sending alerts to disengage from the conversation.

“Something to look forward to the future, then.” Spina turned away and jumped back on the boulder and sat down. “Once everyone’s here, then we go.”

Vortex Man took a long breath. “This is going to be a long tour…” His body was still shaken up due to feeling a dark presence. He couldn’t explain it, aside from feeling it before from Hart in the past. The Kryptonian, after wiping the sweat off his forehead, turned to the others, seeing Lucifer, Berserk and Bara.

“Is this everyone? Clark went off to see if he could help Bernkastel and that other guy find your friend. They’ll be back soon.”

Zenta’s Location

Clark arrived at the scene, seeing Avalon, Bernkastel and Zenta talking to each other. He didn’t know anything of them that well, apart from Zenta. Even then, it was based on what little interaction they had back they were working for Doctor Doom.

“Don’t mean to eavesdrop, but…” The Kryptonian stared at Zenta with sympathetic eyes. He indicated that he heard everything due to his super hearing. “I’m sure your student is in the dark place but have faith in her. She’ll crawl out whatever darkness she’s thrown in.”

Throughout the exchange, Vegetto stood silent and apprehensive. His narrowed eyes bore into Bernkastel as she spoke, the entire offer of peace ineffective at deterring his suspicion. Irrational in behavior, but something still urged him to stand still and avoid interjecting during the conversation. Only when addressed did Vegetto turn his head back to Clark, listening intently to the Kryptonian. As Clark spoke, Vegetto slowly relaxed; his intentions laid out bringing about some calm since Clark laid out his understanding of the motive. Vegetto looked on with a solemn stare for a moment; Clark's admission of feeling stronger for taking responsibility of the situation slowly bringing about a relevant issue within his own mind.

Sighing lightly, Vegetto soon shook his head, and kept a small frown when he spoke.

"Alright...but if anyone tries to hurt you for it, I won't sit back. I can't lose any more friends."

Vegetto paused, glancing to the side slightly.

"And well...I guess I owe him one too."

"Lord knows you already owe me several."

Cayde's pointed and half sarcastic, half annoyed tone cut through the air as he stepped past the two in his way towards the exit.

"C'mon, let's get a move on fellas. No better time for community service like the present, I always say."

Following after Vortex Man and Clark, Cayde kept his attention forward while Vegetto paused for a moment, glancing back into the hut before walking after the group.

Joining up with the group standing outside, Cayde watched on as Avalon and Bernkastel took off to find Zenta. Yet as they flew off, he perked his head slightly at the small discussion he heard from Lucifer and Berserk, turning his head towards the two. He frowned immediately at the angel's confirmation of an offer to instruct Berserk, and briefly glanced over his shoulder as Vegetto emerged from the hut. Cayde quickly glanced between Vegetto and the two as they spoke about the potential training; realizing the potential danger of Vegetto snapping at the prospect of a Breaker following down Demi-Fiend's path.

Cayde quickly walked past the group and kept his back towards the team, his voice low but fake jovial in his delivery.

"Planning a walk for some good food, eh?"

Cayde kept his voice loud enough for Vegetto to subtlety hear, intentionally standing in between the line of sight between Lucifer and Vegetto with his large glowing eyes staring Lucifer down.

"You know, I'm sure we can find a ramen stand around here; a good one that's privately owned. No preservatives, just good ole fashioned strained, quality noodles!"

Cayde's eyes immediately dropped into a half deadpanned stare as soon as he felt Vegetto's attention turn away from the three; his mechanical voice lower in addressing Berserk and Lucifer.

"Look, I'm not trying to tell you guys what to do...but can you at least be a little quieter about it?"

Cayde turned his eyes to Lucifer slowly, narrowing them.

"Last I heard, the Breakers weren't too found of your old student. Maybe the news of you having another one won't go so well with them...let alone the hothead over there."

Zenta barely reacted upon hearing Clark’s voice. Although much of the people around him sympathized with him, it did little to change his approach to how he saw Cuki. They did not know Cuki like he did, and even the slightest change in her tone, Zenta can easily pick up.

“Clark’s right. It seems rough now, but Cuki will push through. After all, she’s your student, so I’m super confident that Cuki will be fine!” Avalon said proudly. “Besides, she’s also got Byakko to help her out!”

Zenta’s mind trailed to what Cuki said back during the fight, drowning out the warm advances of the others.

I hear voices… I hear the voices of those who have died… Chaos and mayhem unfold all around me… I can’t control it. … People die…all around me...

“Why…?” Zenta said softly, his hand balling into a fist. “Why is it her…? Why is Cuki the one to go through all of this?!”

Even tho’ I can’t remember anything from our universe, I’m happy where I am! The Breakers will warm up in due time, I’m sure of it, so don’t be too hard on them, Master. One day, we’ll start a whole new family here, in Vortex. A family where we got all sorts of unique fighters and personalities. Some of us will clash, but that strengthens those bonds, huh? We’ll go on adventures and get into crazy scenarios. Haha! Doesn’t that sound wonderful, Master?

“Her smile is gone… her laugh is dead. I… I hardly recognized my own student.” Zenta’s voice grieved. “All she wanted was someone by her side… and I let her down…”

"The old god seems about as helpless to the situation as Cuki. With the way she looked I doubt he's been able to do much." Bernkastel admonished Avalon and Clark's optimism. The Witch glanced back at Zenta, studying him closely as she considered his remarks on the matter. "It isn't your fault. There's a lot we don't know about this thing happening to her; especially if you can't fight what you can't see." She was silent for a few moments. "Don't be so hard on yourself Zenta, you couldn't have known. Not everyone is lucky to have a Master like you." Bernkastel's eyes looked sullen for a moment before she straightened up, placing her hand over Zenta's. "Cuki seemed afraid to put anyone in harm's way of whatever's chasing her. You could always leave and look for her, but I don't think she could forgive herself if it got to you... I can spare her from that pain by keeping you and the others safe. We might be able to find some clues together. But in the end, it's your choice. I just don't want anyone else to die if I can help it."
=======

Clark's House

"Well yeah, I did say I had my sights on Ultraman," Berserk replied, "I like fighting grown-ups but the Fun Factor is a big part of what I do, and--" she paused mid-sentence with a small startle hearing Cayde approach them. "Oh, haha, y'caught us red-handed!"

Her voice went back to its quieter volume. "It's not that I owe them an explanation or something! I'd just rather not get talked out of it. Think of it like this, Cayde-- oh hey surprise, I got a cool upgrade, tada-" Berserk whispered with a pair of jazz hands. "It can't go wrong that bad. I mean, the Breakers seem pretty okay with me. Besides..." she fidgeted with one of the ribbons in her hair, glancing between the angel and the android. "I have my reasons. Even though I'm a superhuman I'm an average schmuck compared to them and the Red King proved how outclassed I am. I've always been the brains-- I wanna get strong enough that the fights are hard but still fun. The last thing I want to be is dead weight OR a scaredy cat." The Powerpunk grossed her arms with a scowl. "Anyone with half a brain ought to get that; if they can't, they can go suck eggs."

As Bernkastel spoke to him, it did little to cheer him up. Although the others meant well, his tie to Cuki was too strong. Upon mentioning leaving to find Cuki, Zenta’s ears perked up, as if catching his interest. For a moment, he was silent, even after Bernkastel finished. His head turned to the ocean as his hand rose to gently remove the visor to trace a crack with his fingers. Bernkastel could see the pain and sorrow in those empty eyes of his. His eye sockets seemed endless, much to the mystery of the beast. The beast was worried, and it showed. Eventually, he cleaned the visor, rising to his feet as he did so. As Avalon caught a glimpse of the beast without his visor, he took a step back.

“Holy--!” He quickly clapped a hand over his mouth, stopping himself from saying more.

“It is alright, Avalon…” Zenta said, carefully cleaning his empty sockets. “It shocks people from time to time.” The beast then took a few steps forward, thinking about what Bernkastel said.

“Maybe leaving the Breakers to find Cuki is a good idea… I can finally own up to my faults. Perhaps… Cuki will forgive me if I accompany her…” Zenta had a brief smile. “I find myself asking why I was brought back from our fight with Doom… Ever since, I have had no purpose. It was a waste.” The beast chuckled slightly. “Perhaps I should search for Cuki... I am sorry to have burden you with this… confrontation.”

Zenta began to walk away in his usual grace, turning his back to the group. As he walked, his stride got slower and slower until he came to a stop. The wind blew against his tails, swaying them majestically. His face contorted to show the emotion of sorrow.

Treasure every moment, Master…

A long sigh was heard as Zenta gripped the visor tightly before softening his grasp. He placed his visor back on his face, securing it in place before turning back to the trio.

“Yet… I still believe I can find a purpose here, with the Breakers…” Zenta smiled, but it was shallow. “So I will remain here…with you.”

For once, Bernkastel, Avalon, and Clark got an understanding of how Zenta feels, shedding a small ray of light on the mysterious beast. A tiny window to see deep into the confines of his complex mind…

A lonesome beast with no purpose and hatred for himself.

“Forgive me for this… distraction I caused. We should head back…” Zenta sighed.

“Zenta…” Avalon frowned. He did not want to push it any further. He knew that Zenta was depressed, but he had no idea this is how Zenta feels. “Hey, Bernkastel said she’ll protect you, right? She cares about you, so don’t feel like you have no purpose. Hell, I’ll protect you too! That’s what friends are for, right?”

“…” Zenta lowered his head. “…Right.”

“Alright! We should take Zenta somewhere to lift his spirits! Do you know of a place, Clark?”

Last edited:
Zenta’s Location

Clark was not phased at all from Zenta having no eyes; he’d assumed that was a case due to his blindness. What shocked him was his ties to only pupil; it felt beyond than simple master and student. It was like a father losing his child; something that he could relate to in a way.

“It’ll be disingenuous for me to say I know exactly how you felt. We’re different people after all, but I can see that feeling can eat you up.” He paused. “Especially feeling that you don’t have purpose… it isn’t fun. You’ll get there. This world is a big place, and once you get your head straight… you can face your student. Maybe that’ll help you better communicate with her with whatever problems she’s facing.”

The Kryptonian wasn’t sure if Zenta made the right choice, but it was important to have a sound mind before making any decision. Something that he himself still must learn.

After Avalon asked Clark of a place they’re heading, he nodded. “Right. You guys just came back from a fight, right. I do think you guys deserved some rest, and I know a place where you can do just that. Let’s go back with the others.”

===

Outside of Clark’s Home

“No need for warnings, noddlebot. You ought to have more concern of not getting turned into a tin can if you mention a ramen shop again.” Lucifer joked. “While it does warm my cold heart that Naoki caused mayhem, he is his own person. Not every disciple acts the same—and Berserk’s personality won’t change over it. So, I’m not concern at all; the Breakers will be fine.”

The angel was thoroughly impressed with how Berserk defended herself. “Ah, what a wonderful attitude. You remind me a lot of someone back in my world.” Lucifer looked up, noticing Clark on his way. “Whelp, once the tour concludes, we can continue where we left off. Fortunately for you, the process is rather quick and simple.”

Clark landed on the ground, with Vortex Man approaching him.

“Did you find him?” Vortex Man asked.

“Yeah, they’ll be here soon.” Clark answered. “Once they get there… I’ll take you guys around the city. There’s… a place I think you guys might really enjoy. A tournament! How about it, Vegetto?” Clark saw Vegetto outside of the hut. He thought that was a good opportunity to get to know them. He turns to Spina still sitting on the boulder. “You might want to get on this too, pal!”

“Don’t call me pal, bastard.” Spina

“…Right. Uh, but before we get there, I’m going to take you to a place where you can get two whole days’ worth of rest in a few minutes. And a new change of clothes. You guys’ stink bad.” The Kryptonian paused for a second. “No offense.”

Last edited:
Cayde quickly shook his hands defensively, his voice still low but a bit rushed as he gestured towards Berserk.

"Oh no no, I get it! Do what you gotta do; I'm just saying...keep it down for a little while, yeah? At least, out of earshot from hotheads or people who are gonna get the wrong idea before you get the power up to handle them."

He paused, briefly turning his eyes to Lucifer. Cayde tilted his head slightly, shrugging his shoulders lightly.

"Technically, I'm already a tin can...but c'mon! Threats?"

The android blatantly pointed towards Vegetto with his left thumb.

"That's his thing, doesn't really suit you well."

With or without the angel's permission, Cayde then reached over and blatantly patted Lucifer's shoulder with a content sigh.

"I'm just trying to educate you on the finer things in life, my friend."

Cayde proudly placed his hands on his hips, keeping his large smile.

"In fact, I'll say it now: one of these days...you're gonna cave. Doesn't matter how long it takes...I will get you to enjoy a warm, delicious bowl of spicy ramen. No matter what."

Yet as Clark arrived, Cayde turned his attention as well back to the team gathered and fell silent. Once Clark recommended a good watch, Vegetto perked his right eyebrow with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

"A tournament?"

Vegetto soon lowered his eyebrow, having no immediate reaction to Spina's ruthless comment in response to Clark or about changing clothes. The Potara fusion kept his stance, his eyes narrowed slightly.

"As long as we don't have to fight, I suppose that'll be interesting. Do you know who's fighting in it?"

Bernkastel waited on Zenta for a long pause, not flinching from his eyeless face rather to stare into them. "No need to apologize-- think it over for a bit while we regain our bearings here. While it's safe." She guided him by the arm through the portal back to Clark's house, but was bothered that she couldn't foresee any useful action to take besides letting him leave.

Nothing can be done, yet I don't want to just leave it at that... the Witch scowled dejectedly. It wasn't like before where she could go scouring an abyss for a few hours and return with something in hand. But with no useful information Bern was drawing a blank. She mused over the meaning of 'purpose' and chuckled under her breath-- it either was a dice roll for the obedient to kneel to, or a curse for the rebellious to spend ages chasing after.
Which of them am I, I wonder?

======

"No need to tell me twice," Berserk agreed if only because she found the meddling of adults to be a nuisance. Judging from the way Lucifer talked about the process, it didn't seem to be a very arduous undertaking. "Ya think so? Maybe that means I'd get along with your pals back home! The Breakers' vibe kinda clashes with yours, so maybe Naoki didn't like how serious they can be. That sucks. He's missing out on these battles, they're way more fun than anything I've played in the arcade."

"What's this about a tournament?" Bernkastel asked, walking up to the group with Zenta in tow.

"Ya never heard of it? It's like a big group of fighters going head to head until the last pair goes-- winner gets a huge prize!" Berserk explained.

"...People actually do that for sport? It's not just rounds of death matches?"

"Nope! It's just for people who have powers or crazy strong moves. They have fun! But maybe you'd find it boring since you're not doing the fighting..."

"Nonsense. I've spectated many games & mysteries, but never beyond the illusions of fantasy. This sounds like an excellent opportunity to research true hand-to-hand combat," Bernkastel smirked confidently. "Finally I can put my observational analysis to excellent use."

"I wanna go! But Clark's right... we really do stink." Berserk's nose scrunched up, while the Witch tilted her head in confusion. "Yeah! A bunch of you smell like old blood and... puke. Ewwww!"

Bern looked down at her dress, noticing the wide stream of dried red staining her bodice and even more of it dried around her mouth in a rust-colored stain. She had completely neglected it, but seemed rather oblivious to the stench. "Fine. It's unbecoming to run around in bloody rags anyhow. People will think we came here to cause trouble and I don't wanna deal with that headache."

As Zenta and Avalon reunited with the group, there was a small hint of woe in the air, particularly around Zenta. Although he did not express it, he was quiet, not excited in the slightest about the upcoming tournament. The beast allowed Bernkastel to keep a hold on his arm for the meanwhile and spoke in short sentences.

“Ah, that is nice to hear…” Zenta said silently. “Perhaps it will be good to see a tournament. It might lift our spirits.”

“A tournament?! Cool!” Avalon cheered. “And we get new clothes? Aren’t we spoiled?” Soon, the ninja turned to Berserk and Bernkastel’s comments about stinking and looking like a bloody mess. “Hey, we don’t stink that bad!” Avalon slid over between Bernkastel and Berserk, lifted his arm in the air, and sniffed his armpit before reeling back, his face showing disgust. “…Okay, maybe we do. New clothes and a shower do sound nice…”

“I rather not get my fur wet…” Zenta grumbled slightly. “Besides, changing clothes seems… pointless for me. Maybe I should just remove my pants?”

“Don’t.” Avalon stopped Zenta in his tracks. “Just let us pick out some new clothes for you! I happen to be a fashion master!” Avalon boasted as he pressed a thumb to his chest.

“I’ll let Bernkastel decide what pants I should wear.” Zenta cleared his throat. “No shirts please. It feels like I am suffocating…”

Outside of Clark’s Home

“Nonsense,” Lucifer was quick to retort. “A Vortex Coin is a much suitable experience than devouring such horrendous food.” His ears perked at the conversation about the tournament from Clark. “Ah, I was not aware that this City hosts a tournament. Causal or we’ll finally see the Advanced Tournament?”

“Heh, I’m not surprised that you two are familiar with the tournament.” Clark nodded to both Berserk and Lucifer. “Like Berserk explained, the tournament is where fighters across Vortex gathered to fight it out and see who’s the strongest. It was set up two years ago by a man named Seto Kaiba who wish to see different fighters and their abilities. He called it…”

Clark took an embarrassing pose before revealing the title. “The Strongest of the Skies Martial Arts Tournament!”

Vortex Man was caught off guard by Clark’s sudden pose. “Uh, yeah. People flock to these things because it’s better than fighting out to the death or territorial disputes. Plus, it’s fun to watch. It’s also one of the fastest ways to collect Credits for all your goods. Even participating one grants you a minimum of 100,000 credits. Winning can net you over a million. And that’s just the causal tournaments.”

“I’ve joined a few myself!” Clark, proud of his pose and hopes it brings a smile to the group. “Advanced Tournament is the real deal I’ve heard… where it will determine the true strongest of them all. We haven’t had one yet… so I wonder when Kaiba will finally announce it.”

“Regardless, Clark really wants to take you guys now that the tournament is already running. They’re probably halfway through, so you don’t have to worry about joining in. We’re just spectating, is all.”

“I haven’t seen who’s the participants in the tournament, since you know, television got blown up before I got the chance.” Clark answered Vegetto. “That’ll ease off your mind and just relax. Good food, roaring crowd. Beach City folks will be more focused on the tournament than you guys. And you guys get new clothes—”

Clark turns to Zenta suggesting going nude. “You’re getting clothes, or at least some new pants. And don’t worry about the cost. It’s on me. I’ll pay for everything!”

Turning back to Vegetto, Clark smiles. “What do you say? Wanna bring your team to a good show?” Thinking Vegetto is back as the leader of the group. Clark’s intention was also to see how Breakers will react to see a diverse group of people in this world. And allowed himself to get to know them on an individual level.

Vortex Man nudged him. “Uh, I think that’s on Spina or Bernkastel.”

Clark blinked once. “Oh, my apologies! I didn’t mean—”

“That jackass can have them and make their decision; I’m done with that. They can follow him or the Witch. I don’t care which.” Spina jumped from the boulder seeing that everyone had arrived. Upon landing, cracks formed underneath his boots from the impact. “The tournament is gonna be interesting? Lead the way, I’m curious to see what kind of fighters they have.”

“Uh, yeah. Lemme make sure I have my wallet—"

“I’m losing my patience, clown. Hurry it up.” Spina had already flown in the sky, waiting for Clark to lead the way.

“Ah, okay!” Clark sweated a bit when Spina was rushing him. “Okay, okay! Lemme take you guys to this place to get some rest and new clothes. It’s called…” Clark pulled down his beach glasses and had a handsome smile. “The Cool Wave Shack.” A light sparkle upon showing his perfect teeth.

“Hurry up, dumbass!!” Spina screamed.

“Right! Urm… follow me!” Clark flies off and heads in the direction of the Shack.

“Is he always like this?” Vortex Man turns to the others. “That guy’s intense.”

“Hmm, being led by Vegetto? I almost want to eat ramen now.” Lucifer thought to himself, considering that eating that is far more favorable option than Vegetto leading the charge. “Shall we go? I’m dying to get an appropriate attire for this city.”

The Cool Wave Shack

1687835808999.png

It’s a variety store with tons of knick-knacks, clothing and the sort. Whatever you need to fit in in Beach City, the Cool Wave Shack is the best place to be! It’s incredibly expensive… but worth the price! And has a special room, called Relaxing Spa. With the time limit of 1 minute, you will feel refreshed, clean and have 2 days of rest! It is one of the reasons why this place is very popular with the locals!

A young man with tan skin, reddish hair and a tattoo on his right biceps is watching the television of the tournament.

“We are here to introduce… two fighters! Caim! A feisty swordsman who slays anything in his way! He’s a silent type. His opponent is Mooli! She’s---”

A sudden quake shook his store, causing most things to fall to the floor, including his television and cutting off the tournament. “What the?!” He ran outside to see a very large man looking around.

“This isn’t the tournament.” Spina said.

“Well yeah! You gotta get new clothes and some rest.” Clark pinched his nose. “And you need a shower, too!” The Kryptonian turned to the clerk of the store. “Sorry about that Reef!”

“Tsk…” Spina grunted.

“New friends of yours?” Reef said.

Cayde shook his head with a small chuckle at Lucifer's quick retort, turning his attention back to the group once the tournament was mentioned. Yet at the others immediately dismissal, Cayde turned towards Zenta with a small rebuff.

"Don't worry, Zenta...I understand. One day, perhaps...we will be free from the tyranny of pants."

Yet as Clark announced the name of the tournament with his ridiculous pose, Cayde audibly sighed and pinched the bridge of his metal nose. Vegetto stood with his arms crossed, indifferent to the display but lowered his curious eyebrow with a normal stare. None of the spoken names elicited a reaction from the Potara fusion, but as Clark referred to the Breakers as his team, Vegetto's eyes widened a bit in confusion. The interjections all happened before Vegetto could even speak a word, and in the correction, Vegetto immediately frowned and glanced to the side. He scowled slightly after Spina's harsh comment, but his words echoed a similar reluctance towards any form of connection to the role of leader.

"Let's just go."

Flying after Clark, Vegetto kept his arms crossed and scowled slightly at Spina in growing annoyance towards his hostility towards Clark. Cayde flew after the team shortly after, heading for the shop.

Landing on the opposite side of Clark, Vegetto touched down lightly and looked over the slightly disturbed but standing shack. His eyes followed Spina briefly for a moment, before turning to look over the merchandise silently while Clark talked to Reef. Cayde dropped down to the ground not too long after, elated at the sight of the shack based on his tone.

"Oh, not bad...not bad at all. Hey, you think they have ponchos here?"

Vegetto glanced to the side towards Cayde, his dual voice curt.

"You're not getting a poncho-"

"Shut up, don't talk to me. I'm still mad at you."

Cayde's quick and curt rebuttal cut Vegetto off in an instant, the android turning to Clark and Reef.

"Eh? How 'bout it, huh? Poncho time?"

Outside Clark’s House

100,000 credits? I wonder if that’s the currency here in Beach City or all around Vortex? Avalon tilted his head before catching wind of Clark assuming Vegetto to be the leader. He quickly rolled his eyes. The ninja gazed over at Spina silently, narrowing his eyes at how unreasonable Spina has gotten.

“Well, let’s get goin’ then. The more we wait, the more we stink!” Avalon said, smelling his armpit again. “Wow! That’s bad.”

“I will walk. I rather take my time when it comes to getting my fur wet…” Zenta said, however, before he could finish, Avalon approached him and grabbed his arm, trying to tug him towards the hole in the wall. Zenta barely budged an inch while Avalon was struggling to pull him with all his might.

“Oh no you don’t! You’re just gonna disappear again!” Avalon continued to pull on Zenta’s arm as he let out a whistle. His paper avian flew up towards the hole in the wall and perched. “C’mon Zenta, I think it would be best if you stick with the team. You don’t need to do things alone, y’know.”

There was a small pause before Zenta let out a sigh of defeat. He walked with Avalon to the hole before lifting the ninja and throwing him out with incredible force. It was not malicious, but it gave Avalon a spook as his bird flew out and caught him by the back of the shirt.

“W-What was that for?!” Avalon gasped. “Y-You tryin’ to kill me?!”

“No, not at all.” Zenta said calmly as he hopped off the edge of the hole and onto the paper falcon’s back. “But I appreciate what you are trying to do, Avalon…”

“Sheesh! You could’ve warned me, y’know!” The ninja’s skin was pale. “W-Well, let’s go.”

The Cool Wave Shack

As Zenta and Avalon landed by the shack, the paper bird released Avalon, dropping him on the floor. Zenta gracefully hopped off the bird’s back and onto his feet. The paper falcon disappeared into a cloud of smoke shortly after. Avalon groaned before lifting himself to his feet and turned to face the shack. Almost instantly, his eyes widened at the cool stuff the shack had.

“Whoa!”

Last edited:
Bernkastel raised an eyebrow hearing Clark imply Vegetto was leading the group, let alone be reinstated to be part of it again. Ultimately she didn't say anything beyond a snort under her breath with a glance off to the side. She started to speak so she could correct Vortex Man's assumption before Spina's curt response caught her off-guard; considering he took the mantle upon himself after their bout with the Coin Hunter, it was surprising he let go of it so freely.

"But wait a minute, I'm not..." Bernkastel trailed off into silence as she seriously thought the idea over. That's strange. The last thing Spina would do is let me be leader again after that embarrassment I caused. She just eyed him from afar with a distracted expression. "No. Nobody is going pantsless," Bern managed to reply though with a less than energetic tone.

"It's uh... a recent thing," the Witch vaguely alluded to Vortex Man as the group began following Clark.

Berserk was left speechless by Clark's posing and bombastic announcements of each amenity's ridiculous sounding name. She simply stood there with a perfectly neutral expression. I had no idea Superman was such a huge nerd. Aren't hero guys supposed to be... cool?
=====
The Cool Wave Shack

"100,000 credits! Geez that's practically free money if you win a few tournaments in a row!" Berserk zipped in between different racks of clothes excitedly. "Maybe I ought to get pants with lots of pockets down the leg... I like wearing skirts but all my portables would benefit from hidden storage."

"We're just acquaintances," Bernkastel emphasised matter of factly. Her small stature next to Spina was almost comical since Reef would have had to look downwards rather than upwards. "Let's not be in such a rush, I'm sure these things have pre-match commercials that stretch out for a good 5 minutes. It's easy finding clothes if you already know what you want. Watch this," she told Spina as she entered the hut. With a scrutinizing gaze she ignored everything that had vibrant colors or loud patterns, heading straight to a rack of black clothes. "Black does an excellent job at concealing blood and camouflages you in the dark."

"No way, it's so hot out here! You'll roast wearing that," Berserk pointed out.

"I got used to hot weather after a century or two. This is nothing," Bernkastel said while handling what looked like a long-sleeved jumpsuit. "There, all picked out in a minute with black socks thrown in. Try and beat that." It seemed like she took a more playful approach to take the edge off Spina's impatient mood.

"Aw, no fair! I'm supposed to be the fastest one of us! I gotta find my stuff fast or else I'm gonna end up going last into the Spa!" The Powerpunk started searching even faster out of an impulse to not be bested.

“Acquaintances?” Reef squinted his eyes after all the members of the Breakers arrived at his shop. “They looked like they belong to a heavy metal band, dude! Totally bringing the vibe down, bro.”

His eyes trailed over to Zenta walking in. “Whoa, hey! No dogs allowed bro. Keep that thing outside on a leash.”

Lucifer chuckled a bit. “Fufu, quite a predicament, my child. Don’t worry, I’ll seek to it to bring out a souvenir fort you as you sulk all day—”

“You got go too, bro!” Reef pointed at Lucifer. “Angels, Demons and short creepy Gothic creatures aren’t allowed either! It’s messes with the sweet spiritual vibe I got going on here.”

The angel gasped, placing his hand on his chest. “Well, that’s quite rude.”

“Whoa!” Clark gestured his hands to calm Reef down. “Relax… they’re good people. They won’t do anything crazy. We’re just here to buy some stuff and we’ll be out of your hair quick.”

“Hmm…” Reef crossed his arms. “I dunno…” His eyes widened the moment he saw Vegetto. Seeing the Potara fusion made everything click inside his head. “Bro… aren’t you guys the Breakers!? No way, dudes. You guys ain’t shopping here, that’s for sure!”

Reef pointed at Vegetto. “Aren’t you the guy that was foaming at the mouth during Rogue City incident? I saw that on TV.” He quickly grabbed a tiki torch as means to defend himself if they were to attack him. “You’re back as leader for the Breakers, huh?! Get out, dudes!”

“Reef, just calm down for a second!” Clark felt the tension was increasingly getting worse. The Breakers had already come from a battle, and now they’re thrown into another one.

“Just put down the torch. No one’s doing anything. We promised nothing is going to happen.” Vortex Man tried to reason with him, but it fell on deaf ears.

While Witch approached shopping in a playful manner, Spina was the exact opposite. He thinks that this whole voyage was a waste of time. He didn’t want to go shopping; he didn’t want to watch the tournament either, but at least it was something to pass the time. However, there was something that he needed it and the Breakers are the key to it. “Tch… this isn’t fun.”

Spina went inside, pushing both Zenta and Avalon out of the way. Without venturing much, he picked the first rack of clothes and picked an outfit from it. Seeing that he had everything he needed, he turned to Reef still attempting to block everyone from going any further.

“I’m done. Go to the register so that idiot can pay for this.” Spina demanded.

“You’re deaf?! I ain’t letting you guys run around. If news broke out that I’m serving the Breakers, my business gonna tank hard, bro.” Reef snapped back.

“I’m not asking. I’m telling you.”

Reef turns to Vegetto. “Tell your little lackey that he ain’t welcome here—”

Instantly, Reef’s torch snapped in half. He burst into a sweaty mess as his eyes trailed back to the older Saiyan. Upon his eyes laying on Saiyan, he’d seen Spina turning him down with a face of silent fury.

“Uhh… Oof!” Reef felt his feet no longer touching the ground, with Spina lifting him up by the neck. “W-wait!”

“I’m no one’s lackey. No. One.”

“Spina! What the heck are you doing?! Let him go!” Clark and Vortex Man attempt to grab Spina by the arms and forced to release the man, but a strange pressure of darkness halted their movements.

Spina turned his head slightly, dropping the man to the ground. Reef coughed to catch his breath.

“Apologies for my friend, here. He’s uh, on edge since he and his pals defeated the Red King! You know that guy was turning everyone into those rock people?” Clark hoped that reef wouldn’t blow up.

Reef rubbed his head. “Ahem…” He was silent for a bit before continuing when Clark mentioned the Breakers defeated the Red King. “Oh, they did that. Several of my buds were turned into them…” He looks at Spina and the rest of the Breakers. “Uh, yeah, sorry dudes. I was just a bit worried since, you know, reputation and all that. If you guys don’t make a scene... then we’re cool.”

“We’ll help you clean up since Clark… and Vegetto have community service after we’re done.” Vortex Man offered to help.

“No, no. It’s cool bro.” Reef said. “Just do your shopping, and I’ll be here when you dudes are ready. Still, no dogs allowed. That goes for Witches and Angels.”

“Thanks…” Vortex Man wants to go home already. “Get whatever you guys need so we can go. Don't forget to take the Relaxing Spa. That'll wash off the smell and give you much needed rest."

“Phew…” Clark wiped the sweat from his forehead.

“Clark.”

“Uh, yeah?” The Kryptonian turned to Spina. “Oh, he’s gonna apologize for acting out? Oh, this is a start of our friendship—”

“Don’t call me your friend, idiot. We’ll never become friends.”

“….Noted.”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom