Pokémon: Heart of the Champion

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Alright! I wanted Bulbasaur anyway!" Tan took hold of the last Pokeball holding Bulbasaur. She shook slightly, being filled with emotion. "F-Finally! I got my own Pokemon! M-My first partner!"

Tan sniffled before cleaning her face clean of any sudden and uncontrollable tears. It was obvious that she wanted to avoid showing emotion to her other friends. She held the Pokeball in the air, allowing the light to bounce off the top.

"Heh, looks like Brown and I are gonna be small time rivals, huh? But I got an advantage over Juni... Don't you worry about a thing, Juni, I'll make sure to keep an eye on you! I know battling isn't really your favorite."

Tan turned to Oak and Redwood

"Alright! We got our partners! Is there anything else we should do? I'm super eager to get into my first battle!"

"Hey, I might not be as competitive, but I'm not gonna be an easy win just because you have a type advantage over me~" Juni teased Tan with a wink and sticking out her tongue. "And remember, Professor Oak isn't giving us Pokemon just to go off and be in the League. I bet there's a catch, 'cause otherwise, he'd just give us some Pokeballs and catch one ourselves. We're in the middle of his lab after all." She understood her friends' excitement, but they seemed to have pigeonholed into the idea of their first Trainer battle.

Brown gripped onto his Pokéball when Tan challenged him. “Heh, you’re on!” 

Oak closed his eyes and smile at Tan’s excitement; however, he raised in hands in concern at the mere mention of a battle inside his lab. “Slow down, you two. While I appreciate your excitement, Juniper’s got the right idea! I would like to have my lab intact in one piece for once.”

“Yes…” Redwood moved her bangs away from her eyes. “We still have some other things we have to go over. This will be your critical part of your journey.” 

Brown blushed in embarrassment, realizing that Juniper was correct. “S-sorry about that… Guess I got a little too hype.”

"It's quite alright!" Oak nodded at Junpier for handling the situation maturely. “Just because you have your starters doesn’t make you Pokémon Trainers. There are other important elements and items you would need.” Oak and Redwood went to the corner of the room, picking up some items. “Brown, Tan, Juniper, come here.” 

Redwood held three red small tablets in her hand for all three of them to grab.

“What is this?” Brown asked.

“That, my boy, is called a Pokédex.”  Oak answered. “These devices are the hallmarks of your trainer career, whatever that takes you from now and in the future. Without these in your possession, you cannot possibility called yourself a trainer.”

“Think of them as a certified license.” Redwood explained. “They contain all information, including photo id, numbers and other important information about yourself. It serves a great purpose for the Police as a dog tag in case something bad happens.”

“Uhh… bad?” Brown grew concerned.

Redwood shook her head. “Don’t need to get concern about that. I doubt something would happen to you three.”

"Oh, I guess I got a bit too carried away," Tan said sheepishly before following Redwood to the new items she handed to them. "A Pokedex! Yes! I've always wanted one of these! This helps to keep the need for ID and other important information all in one easy-to-reach device! It also records Pokemon and their data!"

Tan swiped her Pokedex and began to fiddle around with it, curious to see what she could learn.

"Man, I can't believe I finally have one! This is just one step closer to the hallmark of meeting every Pokemon in the world! This is going to be great!"

"So they're like miniature PCs?" Juniper asked as she took hers and tried to figure out how to work it. It felt heavy in her hands, but that was because the mere thought of scratching the screen or chipping its exterior made the device feel heavier than it looked to her. After all, she was holding a piece of Oak's technology. 

"So our job is to enter information of whatever Pokemon we come across and make it like a big encyclopedia?" Juni asked after hearing Tan's comments about the purposes of the PokeDex. "I guess that's doable for the most part."

“That’s right… you two seems to be catching on.” Oak praised Tan and Juniper. “Yes, it allows you to record all Pokémon you encountered out there. We often get tourists that travels around the Kanto region, so you get to see Pokémon that aren’t native to this region as well. I want you to record all information about Pokémon with the Pokédex. If you record more than 60 species of Pokémon, please returned here. I have a special award for you.” 

“In addition, I also added a special contact list for you to make calls with anyone across the globe. I left both of numbers in the Pokédex, so we’ll be in touch—specifically me.” Redwood said.

Brown was messing around with the Pokédex, browsing through all its feature. It can record Pokémon data, record videos, make video and phone calls, contained personal information and the ability to alert nearby Pokémon if close enough range. “This is pretty cool… the Pokédex I remember wasn’t this advanced.”

“Redwood actually proposes these changes.” Oak turned to the young intern. “She said it’ll be beneficial for trainers and secured their safety.”

“Yes… trainers should be able to contact their homes in a timely manner. As we advanced, our ability to strengthened communication is inevitable. I hope you like it.” Redwood addressed the communication aspect. 

“Yeah, this is pretty interesting… so as Juniper said. We just need to record any Pokémon we encounter in our journey.” Brown said. 

“And one more thing.” Oak went serious for a moment. “While trainers have the option to pick their careers, most will join the Pokémon league for recognition. I have a special surprise if you get your fifth gym badge.” Oak remembered when he was examining the microscope from earlier. “It’ll be an important asset to your bonds, and it will help Redwood here with her research.”

"Nice, this Pokedex sounds like a mega tech boost if you ask me. I can't wait to mess around with it." Tan giggled. "And what do you mean by surprise, Professor Oak? I bet you're gonna give us another Pokemon! Or maybe a super rare item! Or maybe..!"

Tan babbled on until she stared at her Pokedex, messing around with some of the buttons.

Sixty Pokemon huh? That will certainly take a while, no doubt. Well, technically with Brown and Juni, we all have 3 Pokemon registered each. So that's a step in the right direction.

Looks like I'll be in the competitive scene for a while anyway... may as well make it worth the while. Juniper thought to herself, nodding to Oak's explanations. 
"A surprise isn't a surprise if he tells us, you know," she said to Tan, although she seemed pretty invested in the Pokedex itself more than the surprise. "I'm gonna record the cuuuutest Pokemon I see! So my Pokedex will automatically be the cutest with the entries!" Then she paused. "Hmm... Would the Gym Leaders mind if we ask to record their Pokemon? Maybe that sounds weird..."

Professor Oak nodded. “Yes! I personally enjoyed that the Pokédex can become an integral part of our journey…a powerful device. And of course, Gym Leaders have no issues with any trainers analyzing their Pokémon for entries.” 

“Back in the old days, you need to catch Pokémon for the entries to get recorded. Now, you just need to see them.” Redwood said.

“That definitely makes this entire process so much easier when you say it like that.” Brown was still tinkering with the Pokédex.

Professor Oak rubbed his chin. “Hmmm, I think that’s about it…” He turns to Redwood. “Anything else we need to cover for these newly, breed trainers?”

“What about Pokéballs?” Redwood asked.

“Ah! Yes… you can’t go on a journey without Pokéballs! I’ll be back momentarily. If you have any questions, please ask Redwood.” Oak left to get the Pokéballs.

As Oak left, Brown confronted Redwood with a questioon. “So… you’re from Unova? What’s it like over there?”

“It’s more urban compared to Kanto, being more rural. Though, I prefer the much quiet atmosphere here compared to a lot of noises in my own town.” Redwood answered.

"Urban, huh? How are the Pokemon over there? I bet they adapted to city life a lot better than others. I should probably visit Unova, it sounds like a lot of fun."

Tan smiled before placing the Pokedex in her pocket. She listened intently to Redwood, trying her best to imagine what Unova would be like since she never been there before. She also wondered how some Pokemon could adapt to city life a lot easier. Her mind raced about the trainers and how they battled. She knew that some regions have different ways of battling, and she assumed Unova was one of them.

Wow, I would love to visit one day. I bet battles over there are a lot tougher since the Pokemon could probably fight in more than just one landscape. Huh, makes things a lot more interesting.

"I've never been there but I have a few magazines at home about Unova... I really like the fashion there!" Juniper chimed in. "It's so different than the stuff folks here tend to wear that's more traditional, like the kimono Miss Erika and her group wear over in Celadon City. My favorite model from Unova is probably Elesa, and she's a gym leader too! Her outfits are so unique but I think only she could pull it off."

Redwood places a finger on her lips. “Elesa is popular with the young girls...” She turns to Tan, her curiosity asking about the Pokémon. “Well, they are definitely different from Kantonian Pokémon; I don’t think there much of a difference between Pokémon in different regions in terms of battling... but adapting to a certain climate… yes.” 

Before Redwood could add more context of her statements, Professor Oak returned with Pokéballs in his arms. “Alright, I think that should be enough for your journey. You can buy more at any local shops anywhere in Kanto, but I like you to save your moneys for stuff for your journey for now.”

Oak handed each of them six Pokéballs.

“Alright, I think that about covers everything. You have your starters, your Pokédex, and your Pokéballs.” Oak nodded his head once. “Reminds of my old days when I first started out.”

“Next thing, you should meet your Pokémon. Let’s take this outside.” Redwood stated. 

Redwood and Oak led the three young inspiring trainers outside, in front of the laboratory. “Go on.” Oak encouraged. “Meet your friends.”
Brown stared at the Pokéball that had a strange marking at the bottom of it; it was a symbol of the Pokémon he obtained. “Charmander, come on out!” He tossed it into the air, shouting the name of the Pokémon. A trail of white light came out of the ball and struck the ground; it took shape of a small, bipedal reptilian creature that resemble a lizard. Its body composed of orange, but its underside from the chest down and soles of its feet was cream-colored. It had blue eyes, visible fangs and a fire burning on the tip of its tail.

Charmander roared upon its appearance. He looked around before looking directly at Brown, his trainer. There was a brief silence, before Brown crotch down.

“Hey buddy… I’ll be your partner…” Brown started out. “I’ll be in your care and hope we can make this journey awesome.”

Charmander titled it head before walking towards him. He sniffed him a bit before breaking out a smile, cheerfully jumping with joy.

“Looks like this one likes you!” Oak commented.

Redwood turns to Tan and Juniper. “You two, meet your Pokémon as well.”

Tan took the Pokeballs and placed them in her backpack, remembering she had snacks to share, however, she waited before giving them out, excited to meet her partner for the first time. She was nervous, assuming her partner would not like her or give her a hard time. She pulled out Bulbasaur's Pokeball and stared at the little icon on the bottom of the ball. She watched how Brown summoned his Charmander and his reaction to it. Tan smiled, before tossing the Pokeball in the air, it popping open in the same fashion Brown's did. A white light came out and took the form of a four-legged toad-like creature with a bulb on its back, red eyes, and a spot on its forehead that somewhat resembled a 4-leaf clover. 

Bulbasaur shook itself to wake itself up before letting out a yawn and staring at Tan, tilting its head.

Tan stared right back, almost frozen in place. She held out her hand for Bulbasaur to sniff but the Pokemon went passed her hand and pressed itself against her leg. Bulbasaur rubbed the side of its head against Tan, showing its affection towards her. This, no doubt, got Tan to tear up a little bit, however, she lifted Bulbasaur into her arms and hugged it close.

"It's nice to meet you, Bulbasaur! I'm Tan!"

Juniper simply melted at the sight of Tan's new Bulbasaur. She pressed her hands into her cheeks and let out a squeal. "Oh my gosh, what cuties! They're so tiny and adorable!" She wanted to pet them immediately but reminded herself she had her own partner to meet despite the cute things distracting her. But she definitely wanted to get PokeDolls that resembled their likeness when she got the chance. "Ah! I almost forgot!" 

After tucking away the extra PokeBalls in her Sentret backpack, she looked at her own. "Ok, little buddy, come on out!" Juniper held hers like a tennis ball and tossed it into the air with an underhand, watching it carefully so she could catch it. 

The PokeBall opened to release... a tortoise shell?

"Uh..." Juniper blinked in surprise. Was that her Squirtle? She stepped close to peek into the large brown shell and noticed a pair of big red eyes staring at her from inside. It seemed rather shy if it tucked itself into its own shell. Juni knelt down on the ground and tried to speak to it with a soft voice and a smile.

"H-hello. My name's Juniper, but since we're going to be friends, I'm Juni instead. I'll make sure you're safe and happy while we're exploring together, okay?"

The Pokemon stared at her for a few moments before slowly coming out of the brown shell. It was a reptilian Pokemon but clearly suited for aquatic environments judging by its blue skin, webbed feet, and curled tail. It seemed built for walking on two feet or all fours, but it stood on its hind legs with ease. Squirtle wiggled its arms and approached her slowly, sniffing at her clothing before hopping in her lap and smiling at her.

Juniper got misty-eyed and snagged Squirtle in a hug, overjoyed that it accepted her as its Trainer. "So cuuuuute! I'm gonna take you home and make you all the yummiest treats you want!~ We'll become the Champions of Cuteness together!! Nobody will defeat me when it comes to ultimate cute!" Apparently, all it took was a cute Pokemon to fire up her spirit...

Professor Oak pulled out a tissue paper and rubbed his teary eyes. 

“You’re crying, Professor?” Redwood asked.

“The birth of a Pokémon Trainer…, isn’t it beautiful, Redwood?” Oak stared at the three meeting their companions for the first time. 

Redwood was confused on Oak’s reaction; trainers are supposed to get starters and begin their journey. She look at, dumbfounded, trying to find a level of empathy, but found none. “I really don’t understand…” 

“You’ll understand once you become an old coot like me.” Oak wiped away his tears and approached the group. “Brown, Tan, and Juniper… these Pokémon will be your greatest comrades… treat them well and they will return the favor.”

Brown smiled, thinking about his father upon picking up Charmander in the air. “Let’s do our best…!”

Oak tapped his head a few times. “Oh, you can nickname your Pokémon as well…”

“Nickname, huh…” Brown looked at the cheerful Charmander. “I’m going to call you Flare.” He named it. “You like that?” His Charmander responded positively to the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom