Phobias

~ Z ~

Black Jacket
There are some things that people are really scared of. These fears can turn to extreme cases and can has a very drastic effect on the person who witnesses them. Some people are scared naturally of some things while other people have a much more personal reason attached to it. These phobias are no laughing matter but some of us have learned to overcome these phobias. If you have advice about overcoming a phobia, express them all here! Let us know what you have a phobia of. Why are you scared of this particular thing? If you don't know where to start, consider the following and even add your own ideas!
  • What are you truly scared of?
  • Are you scared of it naturally or was it traumatic?
  • How long have you been scared of this thing?
  • What do you feel when you think about it?
  • Have you gotten better or worse at dealing with it?
  • Have you had professional help?
Keep in mind that we are here to help you overcome your fears but you should always seek professional help if things become too hard for you to handle. Anyone who has overcome a fear can share their knowledge of what they did. Do not be ashamed about admitting your fears, we are all scared of something. Sometimes telling people what you are scared of can be the first step to overcoming it. Tell us your stories about what you are scared of and why? What do you plan to do about it? Let us know here

Please do not show any pictures of any sorts of phobias in this thread. Any pictures depicting phobias will be removed, even if it has been hidden in the spoiler button. Please do not mock anyone about their certain fear.

My phobia is blood. Jesus, I'll run out of the room the moment I see guts and organs flying out. However, it seems to be more gear towards reality stuff. Fictional stuff doesn't seem to "phase" me as much (unless it's guro, yeah I'm running for the hills).

Spiders. All of em. And any buzzing kind of bug. I always have had this problem thinking that if I don't squish a buzzing bug or normal spider, that it'll either crawl in my ear or in my bed. I have found a spider in my bed before so I live in constant fear of finding one reaching for anything between my bed and the wall.

Having a boyfriend and getting married. I was hurt and mistreated a lot. For instance: Not only I was bullied in school, I was maltreated by my stepdad - who even said mean things about my mom behind my back - and his younger neighbors, my dad got my now-stepmom pregnant when he and my mom were still in a relationship, my Auntie Yvette and Uncle CJ were getting into huge fights a lot, my other Uncle Freddie screamed at me on some occasions, my now-former Uncle not only cheated on my mom, he also tried to control me, and my now-former dA/Facebook friend tried to emotionally abuse and manipulate me especially by falsely accusing me of siding with the now-former mutual friend. One of my former classmates and his younger brother harassed me into being the former's girlfriend which I did not want to do.

Misua Cat said:
Having a boyfriend and getting married. I was hurt and mistreated a lot. For instance: Not only I was bullied in school, I was maltreated by my stepdad - who even said mean things about my mom behind my back - and his younger neighbors, my dad got my now-stepmom pregnant when he and my mom were still in a relationship, my Auntie Yvette and Uncle CJ were getting into huge fights a lot, my other Uncle Freddie screamed at me on some occasions, my now-former Uncle not only cheated on my mom, he also tried to control me, and my now-former dA/Facebook friend tried to emotionally abuse and manipulate me especially by falsely accusing me of siding with the now-former mutual friend. One of my former classmates and his younger brother harassed me into being the former's girlfriend which I did not want to do.

Sheesh that sounds rough. Sorry that had to happen to ya.

Misua Cat said:

Jesus christ.. I'm sorry that happen to you.

I have a horrible fear of dogs/animals in general. When I was young in Honduras, we had two big dogs which protected our little farm of chickens, goats, and rabbits. One night I had to use the bathroom and go outside (We didn't exactly have a bathroom). When I came back, I was attacked by the male dog (They were trained to attack anyone who enters my grandma's farm.) in the middle of the night. I didn't even see it coming but it bit down on the back of my leg and pulled me to the floor, shaking me like a doll.

My mom and grandma had to get him off of me. I never felt so scared in my entire life but I also know where I stand on the food chain. The next morning, the dog acted like nothing happened and returned to his friendly nature. I don't blame the dog because he was trained to attack but I never ever went near dogs, or any animal, ever again. My mom was worried that the dog got rabies, since he never got vaccinated. Luckily he didn't have rabies. I know not to mess with animals but I am not scared to attack them if I am attacked. I literally freeze when I see a dog, specifically big ones.

I have claustrophobia, fear of confined and cramped spaces. I should mention this to my psychiatrist on my next appointment, remind me ya

This usually comes about when I'm in a very crowded elevator, train coach or car. Literally, I find it hard to breathe and my heartbeat gets accelerated when I'm in this situation. It feels like everything is trying to crush me (and I'm a pretty large person) and I'm far from the exit that I can get out from. Heck, I get claustrophobic in crowded events too.  It's not very fun, to be honest. And in truth it came naturally a few years ago and I don't know what was the cause of it.

I also have a persistent death anxiety (thanatophobia, fear of death) ever since I can remember. I'm scared of dying. I'm scared of the thought of what's going to happen after I die. I'm scared of whether my death will be so sudden or if it will be slow, agonizing and painful (both of these don't sound pleasant to me). And I am deathly scared of all sorts of situations that could cause my (or someone else's) death. I've had nightmares of me already dead and about to be buried, I sometimes find difficulty in breathing some nights and I get right up and try to regulate my breathing in a really vain hope to stall some kind of death by sudden asphyxiation. I've always had it, it's just that it sort of escalated even further when I was 15 and I was unfortunate to have to attend religious camps that LOVE showing videos of what happens after you die and employ scare tactics to "make you a better Muslim".

Eruner said:
I'm scared of highs, even though I live at 12th floor o_O

Syn, how long can you 'survive' in cramped space without showing your fear/feelings to other people?

The longest I've lasted is a minute, then it just shows with me frantically pushing for an exit or urging the driver to stop somewhere so I can take a breather. In trains it's almost impossible to stay anywhere near the exit during peak hours. Thankfully I've never actually fainted so far.

hmm, I think that your body wants freedom, and fights against any form of prison - aka cramped spaces.

Similarly, my body wants to be healthy, and strongly fights against hospitals, injuries and diseases. Unfortunately, I'm not fast-regenerating Wolverine, but my body is going to faint when I'm in hospitals or any medical room. Once I almost fainted in Veterinary ordinance! Probably my body hates that 'hospital smell'. I can be any brave in my head, I can focus how much I want to be OK, my blood pressure drops down and face turn into grey/white color no matter of my effort.

I'm not sure if it's a phobia, I'm not scared to go into hospital, but, well, I fainted two times in hospital (and outran a queue of waiting people) in total

To add to my fear of dogs, I am generally scared of most animal with the exception of birds. After I got attacked by my own dog back in Honduras, I learned my place when it comes to the animal kingdom. I do NOT mess with any animal, no matter how tame it is. Besides, animals are a lot bigger when you see them in person. I went to the zoo with my nephew and when I saw the hyenas...

They were about as big as a small car... and I was about 50+ feet away. These animals are no laughing matter and can rip you to shreds in an instant. Generally, I tend to be more fond of any animal but even then, the day I was attacked by a dog left a very deep scar in my view of animals, which is a shame because I love animals.

I love them from a distance. A FAR distance.

I have a fear of lumps and bunch of holes on something. I don't know why, but I feel disgusted when I see one on object or flesh. It makes my skin crawl :wagh:

I've been scared of clowns since I encountered one in the middle of my elementary's haunted house. I was, maybe, 8. I screamed when I saw a headless horseman, and the clown came over to help me out of the room. (It was like a maze inside one of the classrooms.) He scared me even more, proceeded to hold my hand, asked me if I wanted candy (he had a big basket of candy in his other hand), and tried to lead me out. Funny how I'm unfazed by mimes.

I have agoraphobia. It's not as bad as it used to be. My dad has it a lot worse than I have, too. I get somewhat panicky when there's a lot of people around me. Especially if I don't know any of them. 

Wide open spaces, like the ocean. Never really know what's under you out there. I think this may have started when I was taking swimming lessons. When we first went into the deep end. I looked around under me, and the bottom of the pool looked like a giant ship's hull, and I saw someone with a blow torch down there. My imagination played with it more over time. Interestingly, I love tight closed in spaces. I once slept in coffin like space while camping. Felt cozy.

Spiders anywhere near me, and unfamiliar bugs. I'm perfectly fine with spiders if they're far from my head/body. I used to have a huge spider 'pet' when I was little that I called Jennifer. She never showed up near me, and I was fascinated by her. If I have a little one fall in front of my face, I freak out. If there's a bug I haven't seen before, no matter where it is, I freak out. 

My own blood. I have a weird syndrome (I don't remember what it's called) where I start to feel dizzy, sweaty, heavy, nauseous, and eventually I pass out. I've passed out a few times during blood tests. I'm ok with seeing other people's blood. Sometimes, I start having that 'feeling' while talking about my own medical stuff that I'm nervous about.

Misua Cat said:
Centipedes. One of them was on my head once. :argh:

You and I are so much in tune. I HATE centipedes but my real phobia is dogs. I am super creeped out by centipedes and the way they crawl and move and EVERYTHING. UGH. They are just so damn gross...

I am scared of bees when I was a baby my dad started to freak out and left me in the cart alone while he ran trying to attack it,and as I grew older he did dangerous stunts in his fear I had a face to face with a qwueen bee before and my dad went crazy trying to kill her and there hive that was in the grill he's severely allergic ,and evreytime I see a bee I scream and have severe attacks I think watching him as a baby affected me for some reason.And I really do not like spiders because my cousin had a bad experience with a poisouness one,and I'm extremely terrified of squirrels because they try to attack me and one almost landed on my head when I was little as I was out under the tree waiting for the bus,and I fear crows because a mom crow thought I killed her nest when I didn't and she started trying to peck and attack me and my friend while we were at the bus stop for several months holding a large grudge ......I'm also afraid of snakes once there was a snake on the steps of my old apartment me and my mom lived in and I seen it,he didn't see me I waited and sauntered away listening but some girl didn't see it and stepped on it and then screamed when she realized it was a snake hightail kicked it a few inches away from the sidewalk so I took that chance to dart past it while it was dazed to do errands for my mom.I also don't like intimidating people,or bully's due to bad experiences.But I think I progressed a little on the bee part because I don't drop  unconscious at the site of them...and squirrels give me a love hate view because of thier cute beady eyes......as for crows I  stopped having issues with them unless they swoop down on me......and spiders just plain meet the end of my shoe....but snakes are the recent I'm trying to adjust too .

Back
Top Bottom