News, Updates & Suggestion Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another update regarding the status of the overall site.

In the next few weeks, the site will be facing its 3rd anniversary; initially, as per usual, we have something that celebrates such an event with an gathering of drawings, graphic designs and vice versa for the website. However, due to the lack of activity of members on the site (14 out of 72 members post at least once a month), it's simply not a good idea to waste unnecessary time on it. There was some lingering idea of giving awards to member to commence their efforts, but seeing that less than half of the 14 members contribute/post on a consistent basis, it's simply not fair nor reasonable to give out awards without alienating people or make the award have less value if I just give it to everyone. 

Instead of adding a ton of unnecessary workload, I opted that nothing particularly special will happen on that date and simply go on the usual routine of cleaning up the forums (and actually post in all the interesting threads so they can get boost for actual conservation). 

The next Bob Ross will be coming on August 23rd. It will be a lightning round where you will get 2 (or 3) weeks to draw it.

Key things are being removed from the forum as we go forward. This is not up for debate.

Deluxe Theme will be remove in favor of having the Core as the Main Theme. As we're heading towards a theme that will be responsive, Deluxe will face official retirement; furthermore, only few members actually used the theme (and it's easier on my part to manage only one theme to focus all major work on it). There is a possibility that the Visitor Comments will get removed due to not being updated by the main creators anymore.

The core theme will received a fancy new update on the outlook in the near future. Banners will received an uplift that focus more on original craft than random photos found on the internet and smash together. No idea if I'm going to let artists have a crack on it (considering the pass times we have something like that, rarely anyone took the bullet). So I'll be handling on the aesthetics of the banner to create a more, suitable environment. It's a lot of work, but something gotta be done.

There's something weird with the plugins that causes threads to not display if all of them are disabled. It doesn't affect the forum now, but I'll post the update once everything is resolved on my end on the technical side of things.

There is a issue with one of the plugin with the forum, causing it to unable to click on threads. Meaning, banners under usernames will be gone and replace with the typical "Admin, Staff, Member" stuff. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Is it possible to make the toolbar like alerts and such stick to the top of the screen and slide down as you scroll? Mostly asking out of curiosity

Nick said:
Is it possible to make the toolbar like alerts and such stick to the top of the screen and slide down as you scroll? Mostly asking out of curiosity

Yes, it would definitely be possible. By top, do you mean next to where "Portal, Search, etc." are located?

Nick said:

Your request is now done. Hope this is what you meant by this.

It works, I wish UserCP was on it but it is what I wanted, nice.

Thanks Guys! I actually tried to add the User CP, but it will show up for guests, which is a big no-no for me. Making in the future once I get good enough to completely changed the overall layout of the forum.

I have been debating about this for quite around as I observed the state of the overall forum. In terms of appearances, the forum has never been cleaner, bug fixes are more and less under control (for now) and we are shifting gears of focusing the Art Garden and the RPG Park as the main attraction of the website.

However, there is a overlaying problem that I have started to noticed over the past year—users dwindle down to a few, competitions can’t break bring more than a few users at a time and the sense of community is no longer there. How can the forum able to reach its full potential when flaws are apparent? :thinks:

After a few weeks of discussing with several other key members who expressed similar sentiments in regarding the downfall of activity (and take note, we do not agree on everything hundred percent, we still have different perspectives in which we sought to improve on)—all in which points to the Discord Channel. It is undeniable that Discord had absorbed all the contents away from the site. Often hear the following excuses: I do not feel like posting, do not have the time, I worked 24/7 every single second of the day, broken fingers, why do this hear when I have friends on other places, lack of care, etc. 

Side-note: a bit of an irony of fates here—what drove people away from the previous forum was the central disagreement of adding a chat box and yet, here we are at this point (when Discord is, and always been, a glorified chat box).

All of this is fine by the way. You are not obligated to post nor be here; do not get the wrong idea.

Before I start having thoughts to purge the forum (either reducing to just Art Garden/RPG Park and/or deleted in entirely altogether to stop wasting money on it), I thought about the ideas suggested by those members of how to better discord. I went to other forums who, despite having discord, do not faced this problem and livelier than ever (because of passion, interesting topics, central theme, etc., which attracts new members because they can see a sense of community boiling up… something that this website had in the beginning, but dwindle out overtime).

Considering these instances, after gathering all the suggestions made from key members and adopting a system from other forums, that have discords alongside it, the current discord chat ceases to function; a new one will replace it as we speak. The official BGC Discord group will now be supplementary to the website—a tool for members to use for the forum—not a replacement for discussions. In other words, in other to join this Discord chat, you are required to do the following things:
  • Be active within BGC—meaning, you actually have to participate in posting/thread to be in the in the group. This does not mean posting for one week, then cease activity afterwards. This is can continuous effort—if you can post in Discord chat without fail, this should not be too difficult to accomplish (and honestly, why be in the chat dedicated to BGC if you are not using the site?).
  • Failure to do so above will mean dismissal from the group (this includes everyone, even Admins and Moderators). You can re-enter the chat again when you are capable of doing so in the future. 
  • In the new Discord chat, a brand new plugin alerts you whenever a brand new post and/or thread appear on the site. This gives you good options to be on top of things of what goes down on the website without the “I didn’t see it excuse” :wagh:
  • This does not mean you have to post every single second of the day, but you are required to post in some capacity within the week or so.
Of course, you can still post on Boogaloo without the need of this official Discord chat—and you can quite easily just create your own server with users you want to speak with if these requirements are too much for you; in case sudden galaxy brain posters come out of the woodwork and say, “this isn’t fair”. If you’re into fast responses because it serves an instant gratification, that is fine as well. Just to restate it again, if you don’t want to do this—that is absolutely fine—trust me, I harbor no feelings if you’re not that interested forums, requirements isn’t too hot for you or any other reasons.

With that said and done, I have already sent out invites to members who are currently active (usually RPG Players). If you have not received an invite yet—this is because either you are inactive on the website or I have not added you as a friend yet. Boost your activity resolves this issue. There will be a graphic design (along with the BGC YouTube button) in the BGC Social Tab (hence why it said "coming soon"... this is been in the works for a while..) :D

I know this isn't news, but...

We at Boogaloo would like to thank everyone who pitched in their ideas, seriously, it means a lot to us. I was in the same stance as Shine and thought it would be best to close the forum altogether, but those who actually wanted a change, made us reconsider. We will continue to do our best to continue this pattern and, hopefully, Boogaloo will become more active again. So far, it's working little by little, and in all honesty, that's what really makes us happy. 

We will also begin to work out minor bugs on the forum and perform a few more tests on Discord to make sure everyone in the channel is able to contact each other and stay notified about the latest event on Boogaloo. I will be taking some measures of my own to make it easier to contact me on either Boogaloo or Discord should anything happen and maybe letting Shine do the same. Other than that, Shine will be the main man you will talk to about technical issues.

Again, we cannot stress this enough but thank you, everyone. You all made a huge difference for the site and we hope that you all continue to tell us your ideas and pitch in what you believe is best for Boogaloo as a community. Keep up the great work!

- Love, The Boogaloo Crew~!

Grey Star said:
It's a neat addition to the site, thanks Shine.

Edit: Isn't it a tad oxymoronic to have a bright white entry box in the dark theme?

Hmm, are you referring to the white text box when you type up a post in the Black Core theme?

Is this what you see? Not saying I know the solution, but this is what I normally see.

Edit: attachments arent working so gimme a sec
F7kqZOM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom