Dragon Ball - Akira Toriyama

ShineCero

The Strongest
ADMINISTRATOR
Pronouns
He/Him
vol01.png

Son Goku is a young boy who lives in the woods all alone—that is, until a girl named Bulma runs into him in her search for a set of magical objects called the "Dragon Balls." Since the artifacts are said to grant one wish to whoever collects all seven, Bulma hopes to gather them and wish for a perfect boyfriend. Goku happens to be in possession of a dragon ball, but unfortunately for Bulma, he refuses to part ways with it, so she makes him a deal: he can tag along on her journey if he lets her borrow the dragon ball's power. With that, the two set off on the journey of a lifetime.

They don't go on the journey alone. On the way, they meet the old Muten-Roshi and wannabe disciple Kuririn, with whom Goku trains to become a stronger martial artist for the upcoming World Martial Arts Tournament. However, it's not all fun and games; the ability to make any wish come true is a powerful one, and there are others who would do much worse than just wishing for a boyfriend. To stop those who would try to abuse the legendary power, they train to become stronger fighters, using their newfound strength to help the people around them along the way.

Useful Links/Information
  • Kanzenshuu
  • Herms
  • Official Broadcast of Dragon Ball Super (Last Episode - Episode 131): Crunchyroll
  • Official Translation of Dragon Ball Manga (will continue afterwards): VizMedia
  • Dragon Ball Super Movie News
  • Dragon Ball Super FUNImation: Airs Saturdays on the Toonami Block on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim 
  • Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters: Airs Saturdays on the Toonami Block on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim
An discussion thread that contains all things Dragon Ball. Be careful as they contained spoiler information. Keep everything related to Dragon Ball in this thread.

There was so much news over the past few months, I thought it would be reasonable to start the first post of the thread with a bit of "supposed" Dragon Ball news. It seems to look like Broly? There was an director that wished to bring Broly back during the Battle of Gods years... :lmao:

It's Broly folks!

Everyone, are you familiar with Broly?

He's an incredibly strong Saiyan who only appeared in the old anime movies, and I apparently at least drew the designs for him, but I had practically no involvement with the anime at the time, so I had totally forgotten about the story content.

So, about Broly. I hear these days, he's still very popular not only in Japan, but also overseas. Based on that, my editor suggested we have Broly appear in this next movie.

I went ahead and watched the movies from back then, and I felt this could be quite interesting once I rearrange some things. I got right to work trying my hand at a story that incorporates him into the Dragon Ball Super series.

While keeping in mind Broly's classic image so as not to disappoint his fans, I updated him and added a new side to his character, and I think this has resulted in a more fascinating Broly.

Naturally you’ll get to see fierce combat, but also, the paths of destiny that lead to an encounter between Goku, Vegeta, and Broly. It also involves the Frieza Force and the history of the Saiyans, which end up having a major connection to everything. The story content turns out to be very large-scale and dramatic.

Here comes that almighty Saiyan, Broly! I'm also including lots of other content all you fans will enjoy, so look forward to it, and be patient a while longer for it all to come together!!

- Toriyama

inb4 Toriyama and Toei made two different DBZ movies and are teasing the fans with one to distract from the other one. I'm just loving how the fans are screaming about canon (using the wrong term btw) and are so mad that Broly is part of the timeline (I guess?). 

I'm eating up the hate like ice cream and I simply cannot wait for people to call Toriyama a hack or a bad writer or whatever over a fictional silly cartoon. 

DhscgJ9VAAA00Fw.jpg:large

> No involvement in the anime at the time.
> Had to go back to remind himself of who the fuck Broly is.
> Going to add something new to his character.

Fans right now: 
DhsEreNUcAE4cko.jpg

Me, a casual fan of Dragon Ball and seeing Broly possibly getting new content and a backstory to go with the scar he has in the poster:
DSuoIw_XkAsVeXl.jpg

But let's keep it gangster here. Remember how many people were ragging on Super back when it first aired (mostly because ANIMASHUN KWALITY meme before people started actually complaining about the story or something, myself included tbh), and now everyone's basically gotten over that and just enjoy it for what it is? I'm sure it'll happen with this too, at least once people get over the initial shock.

And tbh there's so many characters in the series, I don't blame him for not remembering who Broly was for a second
Content creators don't remember or know what they don't write. What a concept!

I'll gladly be a fly on the wall for this movie's production. Just pls... no pepperoni nips

LoopyPanda said:
Me, a casual fan of Dragon Ball and seeing Broly possibly getting new content and a backstory to go with the scar he has in the poster:
DSuoIw_XkAsVeXl.jpg

But let's keep it gangster here. Remember how many people were ragging on Super back when it first aired (mostly because ANIMASHUN KWALITY meme before people started actually complaining about the story or something, myself included tbh), and now everyone's basically gotten over that and just enjoy it for what it is? I'm sure it'll happen with this too, at least once people get over the initial shock.

And tbh there's so many characters in the series, I don't blame him for not remembering who Broly was for a second
Content creators don't remember or know what they don't write. What a concept!

I'll gladly be a fly on the wall for this movie's production. Just pls... no pepperoni nips

This is so true—I should know because I pretty much fell victim to this kind of thinking due to over expectation and not understanding the mindset of Toriyama. He is a gag artist at heart and Dragon Ball is simply a fun-loving story. It is not some psychological series that takes the outlook of some jocks or a “masculine dominant sports” that some, American, fans have framed it. 

However, after all that whining and moaning over the smallest of details, what really broke me away from such mindset is when people were just bitching left and right over the fact that Caulifla and Kale, female Saiyans, obtained Super Saiyans. For some strange reason, have risen into some mystical abstract when it was never shown in any media to be anything as some mystical form that requires hard work (protip, Son Goku did not work hard to obtained the form). 

That is when I realized that the vocal minority are just a bunch of babies complaining about a kiddy cartoon show. Of course, Super is not an perfect 
Dragon Ball product—none of the works are perfect—but I viewed it all of the same: a fun martial arts fantasy story with crazy shit. 

Dragon Ball Minus stills blows and perhaps the worst thing out of Dragon Ball! :wagh:

Now with BROLY Movie coming out, I am fucking hype as a motherfucker. I wonder what Toriyama will add? What is the meaning behind the scar? I wonder what other proposals the staff gave to Toriyama as ideas for the next film?

There is a theory going around that Broly, the Legendary Super Saiyan, Bardock: Father of Goku, and Fusion Reborn is coming out in theaters in the west for a limited time in September. 

Unfortunately, it will not be shown in its original language, but rather using the shitty Funmiation dub. Gross.

Anyways, Could those films have anything related to the first one (Broly, flashback of the Saiyans via Bardock and Gogeta)?

@~ Z ~
I know. The canon arguments some fans have taken is pretty much thrown away to the wayside. They might as well suck it up and accept everything is canon now and separating things into continuities like it should have been.

I have the sneaking suspicion that much of the hate directed toward Caulifla and Kale came from a place of violent sexism due to toxic masculinity considering I've seen comments wanting these fictional women to undergo brutal sexual violence... for really no reason. It's mostly man-children being loud and annoying as always. The feminine-oriented DB community on my end of social media loved them though. Just sayin'

I found this leak floating around Twitter today, but it's really fuckin pixellated!!! Looks like a sticker sheet to me based on the white outlines, haha

From what I can make out, it looks more or less legit, but Broly has a LOT of scarring in this picture I think. At least, there is a very big scar running down the torso. This form's kept the color scheme, but seemed to tone down the yellow.

No sign of Gohan or Trunks on this image, but Freeza is in it in his 'default' form. Goku and Vegeta have a new outfit, looking like they're going somewhere cold from the looks of it (or maybe undercover? Hmm) Also, Whis and Beerus and a tiny Bulma and Piccolo.

The two characters in the corner though...
This tweet shows Goku and Vegeta a bit better too, so I think it's just a promotional sticker sheet.

@regarding sexism

Absolutely! That's my sentiment anyways, because the arguments is the same old as always: "they didn't deserve it, tingly backs, they didn't trained, it makes Goku and co look bad, m-mary sues!" I wouldn't be surprised if I hear a SJWs being thrown around.

@the stickers

Huh, Broly doesn't look all that different other than different attire of his pants. Maybe he's working for Freeza this time around (ironically, when Toriyama first drew him, he made a note that Broly and his father do not wear the Saiyan armor, since they don't work for Freeza).

Looks like they're sticking with Legendary Super Saiyan hair having a more greenish hue (it's usually yellow in his debut film, but progressively went green everytime he appears).

Good catch on the scarring! :think: It reminds me of the scars Broly had in the second film Broly appeared (where he had a huge scar where Goku punched and killed in his debut film); maybe it's a reference to that, since Toriyama rewatched all the films?

Yeah, Freeza, Goku and Vegeta's artic attire has been confirmed for a while. I believe Herms (the guy who translate everything Dragon Ball), reveals the name of these guys I think. I'll hunt them down. So we probably have to wait a bit until we their official artwork of other dudes.

This also marks the first time Bulma will be voiced by a new actor. RIP Hiromi Tsuru :katsalute:

Looks like Super Saiyan God is coming back! Maybe as a flashback, since it talks about the history of the Saiyans (I'm assuming this is where Bardock will show up, since Toriyama did say that Bardock will never, ever appeared in any present day except in flashbacks).

:gglife: Ah fuck, it's that guy from Dragon Ball Minus. I really hope it's not the Minus Bardock and it's the Animated Special Bardock!

Broly's boots look like a colorswapped set from Vegeta's Saiyan Armor, so it may be possible. As for Bulma, it seems to tease at a new design of her own-- seems like tropical wear more than arctic gear. Sunglasses, and either a lei or a necklace of some sort.

I read in an article that there will be a preview of the movie given at this year's San Diego Comic Con, so maybe someone will post it to Youtube if they manage to sneak a camera in there.

In other official news:
Funi released the English movie poster with an official date in North America... and will be at SDCC2018, probably to confirm the previewing.

Looks like we might even get a trailer than based on that information. We also got a closer look Broly:

DiL2gMtW0AEaWzo.jpg

DiL4z0TWkAE2gwR.jpg:large

Double posting. New content of the arcade game, Dragon Ball Heroes (it's also coming in North America during a tour later on this year!). Oh, Dragon Ball Super manga has a new special chapter, so I guess that's something. But move outside of that, here' some actual noteworthy news!

Let's start with Dragon Ball Heroes

SSJ4 Vegetto has been revealed from Super Dragon Ball Heroes, plus another sweet, delicious content.

Other noteworthy information regarding Heroes
  • Epsiode 2 of the Heroes anime (promotional) aired (Berserk Goku, Golden Cooler, the start of the Vegetto vs Cumber fight
  • Episode 3 will be the Blue Kaioken Vegetto vs SS Cumber fight
  • Universe Mission 4 is going to have SS3 Prison Trunks, SS3 Xeno Gohanks, Elder Kai, Majin Ozotto, New Hatchiyack and SSOozaru Cumber
  • The 2018 character poll was revealed:
  • 10. Rose Goku Black
  • 9. LSS4 Broly
  • 8. SS4 Bardock
  • 7. Dark Masked King
  • 6. Evil Saiyan
  • 5. Grand Priest
  • 4. Yamcha
  • 3. Masked Saiyan
  • 2. SSB Vegetto
  • 1... won't be revealed yet, they'll be the FOURTH secret card of Universe Mission 4
  • Universe Mission 5 is going to have Dragon Ball Super: Broly content

kno7Pi3.jpg

Dragon Ball Super stuff

Broly's Character Sheet

pNDk9ad.jpg

mipOvfd.jpg

Something from Toyotaro that's actually pretty good (inb4 it's trace again); he drew Broly.

I also noticed that thing around Broly's neck (the silver ring). Perhaps that's a control device? I wouldn't doubt that Freeza somehow got control of him and Broly breaks free from it since his Legendary State lacks the ring thing. :think:

Normal Broly still looks depressed af, but the change from a headband to a necklace is a welcome one to me! I wasn't that big a fan of the Sailor Moon lookin thing. I still like it overall, but I can't quite verify the legitimacy of those tweets' pictures yet...

I wonder if Broly's dad will still be in the movie or not, or maybe they changed how Broly survived that big McBoom that killed almost everyone else to reflect a more traumatic past compared to his older version? Probably to give him a better motive for fighting Goku and working with Freeza (?)

LoopyPanda said:
Normal Broly still looks depressed af, but the change from a headband to a necklace is a welcome one to me! I wasn't that big a fan of the Sailor Moon lookin thing. I still like it overall, but I can't quite verify the legitimacy of those tweets' pictures yet...

I wonder if Broly's dad will still be in the movie or not, or maybe they changed how Broly survived that big McBoom that killed almost everyone else to reflect a more traumatic past compared to his older version? Probably to give him a better motive for fighting Goku and working with Freeza (?)

Honestly, I'm glad they made some adjustments to Broly's design, since in the original artwork, it looks like he had long ass longs. At least he stills shares tons of similarities to the original so it's not a huge departure. 

Legitimacy of the tweets? You mean the one I posted? They're legit :p

Paragus should definitely be in the film. Despite how the English dub managed to muck up his character, the Japanese one present him as a father who actually did care about his son, but at the same time, terrified at his power. So I hope they kept him in (considering the voice actor of Paragus was listed on the poster, high chance that he'll appeared).

Well, you said you assumed it wasn't trace, cause you showed me a supposed pic of Broly Toriyama drew that was ugli, and it turned out to be fake 8U You can never be sure these days...

Yeah, his new design looks a lot better. The other one kind of overdid it on the musculature along with the colors (too bright 4 my retinas lmao). Also, pepperoni nips B| :lmao: and yeah his legs look rly long... I'm sure they are as proportional as can be to emphasize the size difference between Goku and him, but that may have been in part by the outfit itself as well.

Inb4 his dad comes back with an even edgier design because something messed up MUST have happened to him and Broly in this timeline... like... idk, Freezypop decided to keep just Broly around and use him for his own gain since that was King Vegeta's original motivation for trying to kill the little guy if I remember right.

LoopyPanda said:
Well, you said you assumed it wasn't trace, cause you showed me a supposed pic of Broly Toriyama drew that was ugli, and it turned out to be fake 8U You can never be sure these days...

Yeah, his new design looks a lot better. The other one kind of overdid it on the musculature along with the colors (too bright 4 my retinas lmao). Also, pepperoni nips B| :lmao: and yeah his legs look rly long... I'm sure they are as proportional as can be to emphasize the size difference between Goku and him, but that may have been in part by the outfit itself as well.

Inb4 his dad comes back with an even edgier design because something messed up MUST have happened to him and Broly in this timeline... like... idk, Freezypop decided to keep just Broly around and use him for his own gain since that was King Vegeta's original motivation for trying to kill the little guy if I remember right.

Oh! Yeah, the Toriyama Broly that's supposedly going around is indeed fake as far as we know. Toyotaro's Broly is real since it came from the official podcast detailing Dragon Ball Super and Heroes. Reason why I brought up the trace did is due to Toyotaro's previous action of tracing a Captain America pose for Goku for the V-Jump cover (and he's known to trace a lot back when he was a fan-artist and still does it now). 

Sorry for the confusion! xD

1531732615-befunky-collage-2.jpg

Here's an comparison between newBroly and oldBroly.

Yeah, King Vegeta got spook about Broly's power, so he had him executed. Too bad death was too afraid of Broly at the time :maybe:

DiZIYMXUwAAjWfj.jpg

Here's Paragus.

Toyotaro's Super chapter is also released. Seems like Klefa and Gohan will duke it out the next chapter; otherwise, another boring and bland chapter.

Kefla (and Bebi) is appearing in Xenoverse 2 for those who played the games. Base forms of Goku and Vegeta are also set to appeared in FighterZ

Paragus's redesign is... really different vs the old one! Gray hair... Bigger scar... Buzz Lightyear lookin outfit... he looks a lot more intimidating here, but also much older. I'd argue his redesign is more drastic than Broly's. It's very interesting... I also like how his tail peeks out at the bottom of his robe thing. :lmao:

Dif_RKJUYAA-LUB.jpg

Dif_coYUYAA3q-m.jpg

DigANiYWAAAyrys.jpg

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

Z4ZnsuX.png

And some more good news! The showing will feature subbed screening of the film alongside with the English dubbed!

Also, it seems that Chris Ayres is returning to voice Freeza once more for this trailer (no idea if he will voice him throughout the film or Mills will take over from there), despite having an lung capacity of %15 percent. Damn, this guy is a freaking hero.

I can't wait for the inevitable "BROLY IS THE STRONGEST SAIYAN!!!!1111!1" discourse all over again :)

But seriously I'm pretty excited for this movie, from the trailer and blurb, it sounds like Broly will have a lot more lore about him here than all three of his old movies combined, so that's a bonus I'm looking forward to.

The trailer looked really good, so I'm pretty excited-- they're going all-in for Broly's new canonization from the looks of it, and Paragus too!

I don't know if I can wait until January though... well, that's enough time to get re-acquainted with Super

Yeah, but it's a damn shame that there won't be any subbed showings after all. My Hero Academia gets subs showings; in fact, every anime Funimation gets their hands on, seemingly shows the subs, yet Dragon Ball consistently gets shafted. :think:

In other news, Super Dragon Ball Series has a series (it's a promotional anime for the arcade game, Dragon Ball Heroes where you collect cards and whatnot). 

Here's the first two episodes

[align=center][video=youtube]

What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom