Big Cookbook

ShineCero said:
That sounds delicious. Noddles is consistently one of the top 5 things I love to eat, so I'll definitely give this one a try!
Thank you. :awesome:

I've tried making roux while cooking this recipe. The only difference is that I didn't add cheese.

400g chicken thigh fillet, cut into 2cm pieces
1 onion  (sliced into 2.5cm/1inch squares)
3 potatoes  (peeled and sliced into 2.5cm/1 inch cubes)
4 carrots
1 broccoli (cut into small florets)
2 tsp chicken stock powder and 2 cups water

1/3 cup flour
2 Tbsp butter
3 cups milk
+/- 30g grated cheese

1. Heat a little oil in a large saucepan. Sauté onions until softened. Add Chicken and stir until browned over high heat.
2. Add potatoes, chicken stock and water. Bring to boil and simmer.
3. Meanwhile, peel and slice carrots into triangular chunks. Add to saucepan. Simmer. There should be just enough liquid to cook everything, not too much.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the cream roux:
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add 1/4 cup of milk and the flour. Whisk until smooth, over low heat. Add the rest of the milk gradually, while whisking. Continue stirring, increasing the heat until the mixture thickens and bubbles. Add cheese if desired.
5.  Add the cream roux (step 4) to the stew, add broccoli, and bring to a gentle boil one more time. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve in individual serving bowls with a separate bowl of steamed rice. Or in the same bowl. Eat with a spoon.

Source

Syn said:
I've been doing this since there wasn't anything but a packet of spaghetti and dried shrimp at home and I have like... MYR1 to my name. But I made some wicked fried spaghetti (Italian, with an Asian flair!) just with that and a packet of flavor paste for Asian-style fried noodles or rice vermicelli (I recommend Adabi, it's sooooo good)

And you don't need a lot of spaghetti either -- just about a fistful is enough if you're eating for one. 

EASIEST FRIED SPAGHETTI RECIPE

Prep time: 5-10 minutes

Ingredients:

Spaghetti, cooked al dente (about 3 minutes)
Premix paste for stir-fried Asian noodles - Adabi Bihun Goreng paste most recommended and should be available in Asian specialty stores. Otherwise, use a bit of ketchup and soy sauce, and a little bit of sugar
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
A handful of dried shrimp
Oil or butter for frying
(OPTIONAL) Chicken, sausage, bacon -- make sure you cook these first beforehand

How to:

1. Heat oil/butter in a pan or wok. Add in the sugar first and stir it for a couple of seconds.
2. Add in garlic and stir-fry until slightly golden and its aroma comes out. Lower the heat, add in the premix paste or the ketchup and soy sauce. Stir for a couple of seconds, add in the dried shrimp. At this point you can also add in whatever you want to add, like chicken or sausage. Fry for a few seconds.
3. Turn up the heat, and add in the spaghetti, fry for two-three minutes or until until everything is evenly mixed and the spaghetti has been evenly colored (that means the paste has been mixed evenly around the spaghetti)
4. Take the pan off the stove, serve it up and enjoy! 

A wok is most recommended to cook this (as with a lot of Asian dishes) but a frying pan works just as well!

And you can do this with other pasta too -- macaroni, fettucine, whatever your favorite pasta is. I prefer angel hair spaghetti since it's as closely Italian to rice vermicelli as it can get. 

This is something I'm  interested in trying out. I'll probably use frozen shrimp instead.

Recently, I've been cooking, so I thought I dropped off some delicious recipes I found with my own additions, of course.

Shrimp and/or Mushroom Spaghetti Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 lb of good quality and fresh Shrimp (you can choose between shelled, deveined, cleaned with the tail left on or without the shell). 
  • 1 lb cremini sliced mushrooms
  • 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons of butter such as Kerrygold
  • 3-5 gloves of minced garlic or shallots.
  • 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley
  • Kosher Salt and Pure Ground Black Pepper
  • Creole’s Seasoning
  • Cayenne Pepper
  • ¼ of Red Pepper Flakes
  • Paprika 
  • 1 Ib of Spaghetti (it’s recommended to use De Cecco to make a huge difference in firmness and taste).
  • ¾ of Water from the Cooked Pasta
  • ½ cup of grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese.
Directions

You will bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and then add the pasta. Let it cook for about 7 to 9 minutes.

In the meanwhile, heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the mushrooms; season it with salt and pepper, and sauté until browned and tender; it should take about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic (or shallot), little red pepper flakes, and the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and let it sauté for 2 minutes. 

If you have shellfish allergy, you can just use Mushrooms only, so skip this one section. If you do not, then turned up the heat and add the shrimp. It would only takes about 4 to 5 minutes to cook (or turned pink) and turn them over to make sure they are evenly cooked. Add little Creole’s seasoning, salt and pepper.

When the pasta is ready, reserve ¾ cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta. Add the pasta, then reserved water, and then the cheese into the skillet. Add Creole’s seasoning, Cayenne Pepper, the remaining Red Pepper Flakes and Paprika into the pasta. Toss over medium heat until the cheese melts, the sauce thickens and coasts the pasta and the seasoning spread throughout in about 3 to 4 minutes. Finally, add the parsley and toss to combine in about 1 minute. 

Now you are ready to have your meal! Serve in shallow bowls with more grated cheese on the side for serving.

Here's something I tend to do when I get that plain Insta-mashed potato. Maybe this will have a nice kick for people on a budget or to flare up some potatoes? Hopefully, these are basic ingredients people have in their homes.

Z's On-A-Budget Better Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

• A box/packet of instant Mashed Potatoes. (You can buy the cheapest brand)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Onion Powder
  • Garlic Powder
  • Parmesan Cheese
  • Butter/Margirine
  • Milk
  • Water
  • Optional: Cilantro, Red pepper flakes, Basil, Parsley, bacon bits, and sour cream.
Directions

1. Follow the directions on the box on how to make the Mashed Potatoes. I tend to boil the water first then add eveything else to my liking. However, please follow the poportions on the box for water/Potato flake ratio.

2. Once you mixed in the potato flakes, you can add your desired amount of salt, pepper, butter, and milk. (Or the box's recommended amount) I tend to put 2 large table spoons of butter, 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper, and about 1/4 cup of milk. (I don't really measure stuff since I tend to rely on 'eye estimate')

3. When everything is properly mixed and you have your fluffy mashed potatoes, it is time to add Onion and Garlic powder. You can start off with 1 table spoon each and keep adding until you reach a desired taste. Mix, taste, repeat until satisfied. 

4. The parmesan gives it the best flavor in my opinion. You will add 1/4 the Parmesan in ratio to your flakes. (EX: If you added 2 Cup of Potato Flakes, you will add 1/2 cup of cheese.) You can always start off with less in case you are unsure of the taste. When you add the cheese, mix and taste until satisfied. 

5. All the other optional ingredients can be added to your liking. Serve in bowl with any other side dish or eat it by itself. Enjoy!​

(Sorry for the double post. Bumping)

This is a recent dinner I made, one of which I am really proud of. Some of you might know I like to brag about my food, but hey, who doesn't like food?

Z's Herb Steam-Roasted Chicken Breasts

Ingredients:

Chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
Worchester sauce
Onion and garlic powder
Olive oil
Garlic
Basil
Rosemary
Optional: cilantro, parsley, oregano powder, and red pepper flakes.

Kitchen stuff: Oven safe container and aluminum foil. 

Directions:

1. Defrost your chicken breasts and place them in an oven safe containers.

2. Soak your chicken breasts in olive oil. Be generous with the oil but try not to drown the chicken breast in it. Be sure to get both sides covered with Olive oil. Don't worry if you see small pools of oil forming around your chicken, you can use that to make the sauce for later. 

3. Begin to add your salt, pepper, and garlic. Make sure to cover both sides. 

4. Once chicken breast has been salted and pepper'ed, begin to add your onion and garlic powder. DO NOT RUB IN. Let it stick on your chicken! With the oil around the chicken breast, dip your finger and begin to tap the powder into place. Do not pour oil on your chicken because it will wash away the powder and salt. This part is a little tedious but it helps when you are listen to music. Remember, do not rub in! Dip your fingers into the pools of oil around the chicken and tap the powder to moisten it atop the chicken. Repeat on both sides.

5. Add your rosemary and Basil (as well as the optional ingredients if you have them) and tap them in the chicken. The moisture from the oil will make it stick with the chicken. You can do this for both sides, but only one side is necessary. 

6. Sprinkle your worchester sauce on top of your chicken and gentle pat it in to set your herbs in. 

7. Cover it up with your tin foil and leave it to marinate for at least 30 minutes.

8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Poke a few holes in the foil to vent out just a little bit. I recommend just the corners. Just make a small slit with a knife near the corners. 

9. Leave chicken in for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, flipping about half way through. Be careful when you flip it because the steam can burn you. Cover it up again and set it back for the remainder of the time. 

10. Once time is up, your chicken breasts should be fully cooked and tender enough that they break in half with ease. Serve with your favorite rice/sides and use the remaining juices to top your chicken, adding a blast of flavor. You can also use it to add flavor to your rice or other dishes. Enjoy!

image0.jpg

Lots of lovely contributions! I hope to find the downtime to add some of the recipes I've written down soon (well, the ones that aren't secret family recipes ;)), but in the meantime, I'll drop a sweet one I managed to make when I was bored one day. I'm not much of a cook, but I have a sweet tooth (admittedly it's a little too sweet sometimes...)

I found this recipe online, but made a few adjustments to where I think I can post it as its own thing

Loopy's Edible Cookie Dough (For One)

Yes, you heard that right! You can eat this cookie dough without getting sick! Mainly because it's eggless. No eggs, no salmonella!

Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: ~10 mins
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened (preferably unsalted)
  • 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1.5 tbsp milk (I use 2% milk, but I think any kind should work fine)
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • Pinch of salt
  • Add-ins: Chocolate chip, MnMs, nuts, etc... basically anything you'd put in a normal cookie you can do it. But I'd limit it to one topping since this is meant for enough to fit in a mug.

Instructions:

1. Combine softened butter and brown sugar with a mixer on low (or by hand!) for about a minute when it begins to look a little smoother, but not completely uniform just yet.
  2. Stop the mixer and add the milk, flour, vanilla extract, and salt into a separate container. Stir it all together with a spoon 
  3. Combine the bowl's contents with that of the mixers at a low speed for about 30 secs or when you feel it looks ready.
  4. Turn off the mixer, add in your topping, and stir it into the cookie dough with a spoon. Done!
You can eat it right then or chill it in the fridge inside a container for 15-20 minutes. If you like firmer cookie dough, you can store it in the fridge for a full half-hour and check on it until it's at your preferred consistency.
If you like it extra smooth/creamy like a yogurt, then that's not quite a dough anymore, but I won't judge! Just add in milk to your preference (not too much though).

This may come out rather sweet on the first try depending on the brand and amount of your ingredients, so you can try using dark chocolate or semi sweet chips to balance out the sweetness of the brown sugar and vanilla. Alternatively, you can add a tiny bit more salt or reduce the sugar, but naturally, less sugar makes cookies less sweet. I don't know anyone with a sweet tooth who doesn't like cookies that way. :p

It's a pretty simple recipe, but you probably shouldn't try to use this cookie dough for baking them into solid cookies since it lacks eggs.

Look at all these delicious foods! Can't wait to try my hand on them. Here's another food recipe that I try out: this time, Fried Chicken!

Fried Chicken Drumsticks

Ingredients

• 8 Chicken Legs
  • 4 Eggs (beaten)
  • 2-4 cups of vegetable oil
  • 3 cups of all purpose flour
  • Creole's Seasoning Salt (or any Seasoned Salt of your choice)
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Paprika
  • Salt (highly recommend Koisher)
  • Pepper
Instructions

In a large bowl, mix the flour, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt and pepper, while keeping beaten eggs in a separate tray. After this, seasoned the chicken (for purist, use salt and pepper, for creativity, use the ingredients for the flours for the chicken and lightly seasoned them evenly). After this, roll the chicken pieces into the flour mixture, and then covered it with eggs before returning to the flour. Do the same for all chicken legs.

Once the oil is hot and ready, place two-three chicken legs into the oil for frying. Fry the coated chicken pieces in hot oil for about 5 minutes on each side. Cover skillet and cook on lower heat for about 10 minutes. Remove cover, turn up the heat and fry for 5 minutes on each side to make chicken crispy. The chicken is done when it is no longer pink inside and its juice run clear. If you have a deep fryer, you don't have to worry about this and cook the 3 chicken legs within 20 minutes each.

Once the legs are golden brown, you can removed it from the oil. Placed the cooked chickens on a double-folded paper towel on a plate. Allow time to cool down.

One of the recipes I tried cooking since I moved to Cavite.

Manok sa Gisantes or Chicken with Green Peas

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, cut into serving pieces
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, sliced
1 can green peas
3 tbsp oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 cups water
salt and pepper
laurel leaves
atsuete (annatto) oil

Procedure:
Saute garlic and onions. Add chicken and water. After boiling simmer until chicken is almost cooked. Add laurel leaves, achuete oil, green peas, soy sauce, salt, and pepper and simmer for 10 more minutes.

Back
Top Bottom