Beast Hunters - Chapter 001: Shadows

“We got all the essential tools.” Excalik turns to Eleanor and Blazrin. Based on how they carry themselves, he does not have much confidence in them. “Hope they don’t drag us with their antics…”

Jack patted Bronson’s back. “ Aye, I’m ready to go as well.” He turns to the rest of the Hunters, seeing that their preparations is practically ready. “Monster Hunter, right? Since it is your town, you should show us the way. We can take me ship for faster travel.”

Monster Hunter stepped outside of the Beast Hunter building, slightly turned their head towards the others. “Yes… it’s time to terminate these vile beasts and torched their holes to the depths of hell.” They pointed their finger towards North. “Garden Town is at that direction—it’ll be a quite a long, but we can’t afford to use any other means of transportation without alerting the scouts. Make sure you don’t waste too much stamina, and stock up on fluids.”

"Righto, let's get going. These Goblins aren't gonna stop themselves." Blazrin nodded as he packed the last few essentials they might need. "Packed masks for everyone and some healing stuff in case things get sour. Hee hee, I can't wait to scare those Goblins out of the land."

Blazrin stared at the direction Monster Hunter was pointing at and grinned.

"Don't worry about me, I've got a history of walking long miles. If you guys get tired, you can ride on my back."

"Too bad..." Vala sighed with a shrug. She was used to portals for getting around, but she couldn't make them go to places she never went to before. "If we're on foot, we'd better keep our eyes peeled for any suspicious shadows in the bushes."

"Beats getting seasick! Boats aren't really my thing, heh." Eleanor said. "Say, is 'Monster Hunter' really your name? It's cool, but 'Monster Hunter of the Beast Hunters' is a bit of a mouthful, so we should call you Big M for short! Cause you're super tall and stuff?"

"Chatty one, isn't she?" Vala muttered.

"Cut the lass some slack... I imagine the jail wardens aren't much for conversationalists," Bronson nudged her in the ribs a bit. "We need at least a few chums in this gloomy wasteland, you know. You would-- if you'd come out of your room more often than just for meals and more books!"

Vala couldn't muster a proper response, so she just turned red in the face and crossed her arms with a 'hmph' noise. "Why you..."

After all the respective hunters finished preparations, Monster Hunter and the rest of them team headed out to Garden Town. The journey was not long; despite walking across barren wasteland with few wildlife, they were able to get to the outskirts of the town within a few hours.

iUmwGlg.jpg

Garden Town

Garden Town is a poor, rural area with no reliable source of food, water or utilities to function. As with any town in Desolate Lands, after the Dalv Tribe seize control of nearly all the food and water in the continent, the common folk of Garden Town sought for survival to reach the next day. Thousands of years ago, Garden Town was a beautiful town, with a friendly community, sustainable amount of resources and, their greatest treasure, the Field of Rainbow Flowers. According to legends, the field of flowers was everlasting—none of the flowers ever withered away. If one, who has a negative heart, visits the field, it would calm their soul and erase any doubt.

However, the Great Wars began and devastated the beautiful town. Homes burnt to the ground; people killed left and right; animals and resources taken from soldiers, scavengers and raiders alike, completely dismantled the way of life of Garden Town. The only thing the town had that survive was the field of Rainbow Flowers, but due to the constant Great Wars and the inability to calm their lust of conquest, it lost its colors. In reflection of the bloodbath across Desolate Lands, all the flowers turned bloody red to serve as an reminder of the wars. Afterwards, despite numerous attempts to start anew, the town had been attacked constantly by monsters seeking the bloody flowers.

Jnp4Eae.jpg

If one consumes the Red Flowers, it increased their physical and magical strengths to unimaginable levels. No matter how many times the flowers were picked, it would always regrow within a couple of days.

Upon arrival, even from the distance they were at, there were no signs of human life at Garden Town. No sounds of the joyful laughter of children; lack of construction from the adults, and no image of burning smoke to indict that something was cooking. Instead, the devoid of human life was instead filled by the growls of monsters. The Goblins snickers with one another to enjoy the fruits and labor of free meals that was left behind in the town. Monster Hunter stopped the rest of the group, to witness the state of their hometown thrown into chaos within six months.

“That’s the town?” Excalik asked. “Walking this distance got sand in my boots. And boy, does it smell like rotten fish around here.” He paused for a moment. “Not that the town is smelt of rotten fish, I didn’t mean any disrespect—”

“It’s fine.” Monster Hunter understood what Excalik meant. “Yes, that is my town. Overfilled to the brim with monsters now.” 

“Yeah, I can hear their foul cries. Did the people escape?” 

“That’s what the story I was told.” 

“So, we just storm the town, right Big M?” Jack asked, taking a liking to the nickname Eleanor gave them. Monster Hunter does not seem to mind.

“No… we need to lure out the scouts first.” Monster Hunter said.

Blazrin stared at the town and frowned. It was uncomfortable for him to know that such a beautiful town suffered the way it did. Now that it is being overrun by Goblins and other monsters, he balled his hands into fists. Despite his goofy personality, he had a soft spot for the lives of others and wished to make those around him smile. He did not seem bothered by the smell of rotting flesh but slapped the air in front of his nose to rid the worst of it.

"And how do we lure out their scouts without luring out any other Goblins?" Blazrin scratched his chin as he tried to think of something. "What do Goblins like? We could lure some scouts with some bait."

“We can lure out the scouts by bringing out the pheromones from the Red Flowers by burning.” Monster Hunter responded to Blazrin. “Bronson came up with a way to lure those scouts—once again, they aren’t the brightest and will fall for simply trickery. They’ll run to the source to put out the flames, and eat whatever is burning, especially the flower. Once they are distracted and let their guard down, we strike.”

“How many scouts do these Goblins have?” Excalik asked.

“10. Based on my observation, they are a rare breed of Goblins, since they are not the most capable fighters, so they are caution in their movements. But a goblin is still a goblin.”

Jack’s sight did not leave Garden Town for a moment. He can hear the gurgling sounds from those filthy beasts despite the distance. “Weak alone, but strong in numbers. It would be beneficial to split up if we attempt to lure them out?”

“They most likely sent about 3 of them to check it out. Once they realized that 3 of them are not returning, they will send another wave to see what is going on. We’ll keep at it until they’re all gone.” Monster Hunter said. “Of course, we need to head for the field itself, rather than the town.” They pointed to the field of bloody flowers; their radiant red color shine brightly as the sunrays hit them. It was a massive field of flowers—that extend over several miles wide.

"Burning, huh? Our little Will-o-wisp can definitely help set the trap without much trouble of blowing our covers," Vala said, pointing to Blue who was dozing off on Excalik's hat.

"Splitting up sounds good. I can help set some rope traps so we don't let any stragglers escape alive," Eleanor nodded with great focus, scanning the distance for potential spots to lay the trip-ups. "If we just convince 'em the others are busy with something, they won't pick up too early that we're here to kill 'em off." She was unfazed by the stench of fish, since she came from a fishing hamlet where just about everything smelled of fish or fish liver oil.

"Aye. There are seven of us, but being alone without anyone to cover your six isn't a good idea. Those goblins can spit something quite nasty, and they probably still tip their weapons in poison." Bronson wrinkled his nose with disgust. "Definitely don't let them get close enough to cut you. Burn those flowers, and wait to get them from your hiding spots. The ditch we dug is probably still here, that can be ideal for any long-range fire."

"I can work pretty good on my own, so I'll handle keeping any stragglers away from sneaking up on you guys. I can handle a couple of them at a time, so don't worry about being ambushed." Blazrin smiled. "And maybe Yack Excalik can help too. I can handle one side of the area and he can handle the other. What do you say?"

Blazrin, oblivious to Excalik's earlier hostility, gave him a thumbs up.

“Yes. Splitting up can be ideal, and we can split our numbers into three groups.” Monster Hunter said. “Bronson and I have experience with each other, so we can form one group.” 

“No way! I ain’t going anywhere near this clown.” Excalik protested. "And don't call me a yack." 

“Hey! Don’t start making a fuss straight away. We barely started the mission.” Jack said. “You, Vala and Blarzin will form a group. I’ll work with the runt [Eleanor].”

“Sounds reasonable.” Monster Hunter said. “As Bronson said, burning the flowers is a good way to lure them out. If you have long range weapons or spells, keep your distance, or use the ditch as cover. And keep your guard up—you never know with these things.” They turns to Bronson. “We’ll head closer to the town to make preparation of burning the flowers. I’ll let you handle that, sir.” 

Jack nodded, picking Eleanor by the back of her shirt collar with one hand, and placing her over his head. “Thought you need better visualization to see potential spots to trap those vermin, aye mate?” He sprinted off.

Excalik narrowed his eyes, seeing others already setting off. “H-hey wait! Why we have to get stuck with this guy? Damn it…”

"Wha-- hey! What's with people manhandlin' me?" Eleanor's protests faded away into silence as Jack took off with her. "Huh, I guess I can see better from here. Let's look for an overgrown area so we can set the rope traps by the trees! They won't notice anything if we cover it up with dead grass!"

===

"You know, teamwork an' all that. Valerie ain't gonna want to hear about you squawking with any of Silence's crew." Bronson took out his hunting axe and extended it to its long-swing form as he headed off with Monster Hunter towards the town. "So you kiddies best play nice while we're out here. Let's get that oil splashed!"

"Fine," Vala held back the urge to groan, instead opting for a stern huff. "Let's just head to the field with the ditch and see where those flowers are. The faster we get this done, the quicker we can go back for supper before sundown. I don't like the idea of sticking around too long in a ditch..." Since she wasn't a melee fighter, Vala's spells are only useful from afar. "Maybe we can burn the plants in the shape of a circle so we can trap them in one spot and blocking their only exit?"

"Aw, c'mon now, it ain't that bad being with me. Besides, we have to work together in order to save this town from those ugly goblins." Blazrin nodded to Vala and her suggestion. "Your friend has a point. Burning these flowers could definitely bring out those critters from hiding. I can use a little bit of fire magic but I'll leave the spells to your girlfriend. I can withstand the heat tho'! So I should be okay in the middle chopping those goblins apart."

Blazrin reached out behind him and placed the small backpack near Vala as he unsheathed his huge axe from his back. He held it above the two easily with one arm and gave them a cocky smile.

"I'm okay standing inside the ring of fire or near the exit to pick off any runners. I'll make sure none escape my axe or your spells. Oh, by the way!" Blazrin pointed to the backpack. "Just in case things get hairy, I packed some nifty tool you can use."

“You got it mate!” Jack rushed over towards the trees. “Damn beast won’t know what hit’em.”

==

“Yeah, that sounds like a good idea Vala—” Excalik paused for a second. “Huh? Don’t say things out of nowhere.” He protested when Blazrin declared Vala as his girlfriend, with a slight blush. “You stay in that circle, and I’ll provide cover of your behind, yack. Unlike you, I’m pretty fast. Physically and mentally.” He turned to Vala. “Let’s make that happen. If the Monster Hunter said is true, then those buffoons will come running to see what’s up.” 

==

Monster Hunter and Bronson approached the town, and the scent is even worse than before. They were several areas of dedicated spots for Goblins to expel their bowels, out in the open and the like. “Filthy beasts. Their scent leaves with disgust… and deep hatred to have them slaughtered like pigs.” Monster Hunter uttered, noticing a few scouts were speaking to one another. “Seems like they’re making a transition with another pair. That’ll give us time to start the burning, Sir Bronson?”

Eleanor hoisted herself off of Jack's shoulders into the nearest tree, slinging a rope coil off her shoulder and testing the springiness of its branches with her hand. "Alright, this one's a good spot. Hoists 'em high enough to get their heads cut off or blown to smithereens! Whichever you'd like." She tied a small knot on one end to the branch before lowering herself down and turning the other end into a noose-like snare and affixing it in place with a wooden tension pole she whittled with her knife. "I'll make these and you cover 'em up with some grass and something that'll lure 'em in. Sumthin... shiny? They look like the type to go for shiny things," Eleanor said before jumping up into another tree to set up more snare traps.

"Is it a habit of yours to assign people such arbitrary terms, Mister Blazrin? For one thing I am a lady that is a friend, not a little girl. Now can we get to work without distractions, lads?" Vala grumbled before jumping down into the ditch for cover. After designating the pattern in which she can burn the flowers and grass, she aimed her staff in the sky to unleash a steady stream of embers that drifted in the air down onto the grass. Falling like snow, they slowly scorched the flowers for a controlled burning. Eventually the ring of fire was connected; smoke began to billow and the scent of burning plants filled the air.

"Okay, ready your weapons!" She called out to the two in a hushed whisper before hiding behind the log.

"Filthy wretches. Let's start slinging oil in their favorite hangouts while we have the chance. Connecting the oil trails with one thin line down the street can help us wall them off in smaller packs." Bronson said, pulling out several glass canisters of flammable oil to hand the Monster Hunter. "Wouldn't want them overrunning the place after all."

Blazrin seemed confused as to why Excalik seemed so hostile towards him but paid no mind to it. Once Vala set up a controlled fire, the man gripped the hilt of his axe tightly, carefully waiting for any goblins that might show up to the burning flowers. His usual goofy persona turned serious, nearly in direct contrast to what Excalik and Vala have seen. He was able to stick very close to the flames, being very tolerant of the heat.

Okay, time to teach these nasty goblins a lesson. Maybe once we chop them up, they'll think twice before coming over to hurt others...

[Near the Town]

“Right. Let’s do this…” Monster Hunter grabbed the canisters of flammable oil as they snuck around of the town, using the brick wall as cover to avoid detection. Seeing areas where there were little to no Goblins, the Monster Hunter sling several oils to certain spots. One of them being a food storage unit that was left unguard, a bar and a shaft that contain items. They overheard footsteps, causing them to duck to avoid being seen. Several Goblins, that wore strange attire that isn’t fit for fighting, came rushing towards the Field, being alarm by the smoke clouds in the sky. “Vala and the others did their part… That’s three of them heading out.” He turned to see the reactions of other Goblins towards the build up of the fire, but they were more concern with the food in front of them.

[Field of Bloody Flowers]

Excalik held onto his dagger, looking for enemies after Vala burned the flowers as he hid in the ditch. “Killing people just to get to the flowers. Monsters truly don’t have much thoughts to themselves other than their instincts, huh…”

Three Goblin Scouts ran towards the field, seeing the ring of flowers set ablaze. They discuss among each other in confusion, wondering why the fire was created. Another, scratching its jewels, attempt to play off the job by telling the other two to put out the fire so they can go back and enjoy the feast.

“Alright… we should take them out together, so they don’t scream. Let’s attack on my count… 1…2…”

[Near the trees]

“Something shiny… like gold.” Jack rubbed his chin, pondering if he had anything on his person to use such thing to lure these beasts to their trap. Snapping his fingers on an idea, he’d opened his mouth and ripped several golden teeth cleanly. “Should this be sufficient?” Jack asked Eleanor. “It made of pure gold and shine quite good when the sun rays hits it.” He covered the traps with grass and placed golden teeth on top of it. “That should do it…”

Back
Top Bottom