Traditional or Digital?

Interesting... I'll try out the small sketches then before taking on the big ones. Is making remake of old drawings with the tablet a good idea? Something to familiarize myself with I mean.

I'd personally leave that to when you're finally used to the tablet itself, otherwise you'll be unnecessarily restricting yourself while trying to learn something new. But if that helps you learn, why not.

Right, that makes sense. I'm planning on getting the tablet by the end of the month. I probably won't be able to post any good drawings for a bit, but I'm pretty excited to finally dab on digital art once again (I did a few works, but that was so long ago, and I used on Manga Studios that ran like ass on my older laptop). 

Oh, what about the colors? How long did it took you guys to get used to coloring? Does it come naturally or it takes a lot of practice to apply color properly?

ShineCero said:
Right, that makes sense. I'm planning on getting the tablet by the end of the month. I probably won't be able to post any good drawings for a bit, but I'm pretty excited to finally dab on digital art once again (I did a few works, but that was so long ago, and I used on Manga Studios that ran like ass on my older laptop). 

Oh, what about the colors? How long did it took you guys to get used to coloring? Does it come naturally or it takes a lot of practice to apply color properly?

It honestly took me a while to learn how to color, especially since you need to make layers for every part you want to color (and don't get me started on shading...) I would probably assume it would take you a bit longer to get the hang of coloring. Even then, I'm still learning new things when it comes to coloring like what types of layers to use and how to implement shading options. Even the videos online are a bit confusing but with a lot of trial and error, you'll eventually learn your own tips and tricks. 

I recommend you begin sketching and inking first so you get a feel for your tablet. Play with the settings of your tablet and your Clip Paint Studios (or whatever you plan to use) and see what you're most comfortable with. From there, try out different layers and look up tips online to see what each layer does. I recommend Vector Layers for inking since they make the process so much easier. Lastly, watch various types of videos talking about how to ink, color, panel, etc in the specific program you're using. Mix and match them until you find something you're comfortable with.

Also, learn the hot keys! Ctrl+Z is undo in Clip Paint Studio. Get used to that command, it will be a habit.

Yeah, I tried out coloring... and I probably have no idea how it works. The process of using the tablet is a lot different than traditional, but the erasure isn't a pain in the butt. Whereas, if you make an mistake, you can just undo it without risk of ruining the quality of paper and leaves no erasure marks. Plus, I can use the canvas infinite amount of time whereas on paper, it's mostly a one shot deal (no layers, etc). 

So my impression is very good. Obviously, I'm nowhere near at the level of you guys, so I have a long way of getting there, but I hope I can improve.

Mind linking some videos when it comes to coloring? It often comes out as "painted over" rather than the actual part of the colors.

Most videos on youtube are speedpaints, which are basically footage so accelerated that it's kind of hard to really understand their process if you aren't actually viewing it be done in real time. It sounds like the main issue preventing you from coloring is based on the use of layers.

When you make a new layer, programs often generate a new one "on top" of any previously existing layers you were working with. By "painted over", it sounds like the layer you made for coloring is over the layer that contains your lineart. Is that the case or is it a different issue? A screencap might help me figure it out easier

I dont know how Clip Studio works, but the basics stay the same in every programme I assume. I think learning about the layers is one of the first things you need to learn when starting with digital art.

As for practicing coloring, maybe starting out with manga pages would help too. If you set the layer to multiply you can color over the lines. I figured that out after 100 years. XD

Here's an example of what I mean (give me a couple of minutes since I have to post it from my phone):

VU3KcG3.jpg

Yeah i think the issue is that you've put the layer on which you color, above the layer on which you drew. Just drag the coloring layer below the other one and the problem will be solved.

Back
Top Bottom