Pokémon Sword and Shield

I'm really interested in the curry and camp thingy they showed in the last Direct!
 Also the only thing I just wanna know before the release is.. the plot of the game? We've seen a lot of characters introduced but we still know nothing about the story.
 So I'm curious about that, because I really liked the story in Su/Mo, and this will finally be my real second main line Pokemon game haha.

I think Game Freak and Pokemon Company learned their lesson after the Sun and Moon reveal cycle. We're nearly 2 months away from release and we still hadn't have more than what, 10 new Pokemon at best? We haven't even seen the middle stages of the starters so far.

Though, I guess that could be excuse since it was celebrating it's anniversary that year (and riding on the hype of Pokemon Go).

I'm surprised that people didn't know that Curry is one of the main dishes in England... did they forget that Britain steamrolled India for a while (hence the introduction of Indian cuisine being brought over)?

-------

Apparently, there's a new Pokemon on the website; it's a fighting type and appears to be glitchy. Here's what the image looks like...:

new0919.png

and here it again, turned another side:

EEUtE-hUUAAtunG.png

It looks like a bird Pokemon... Galarian Farfetch?

According to Serebii: The Japanese site also gave a partial name (ナ イ ト nite). :thinking: What do you guys think?

Right?

The only thing that goes against is the fact that it's a fighting type, but then I remember that Alola forms also completely change a Pokemon's type (Ninetales being Icy/Fairy). 

Also, can we talk about the customization is off the damn charts in this game? The evolution from XY, SM to this... is pretty amazing.

I am willing to bet this is the rumored Galarian Farfetch'D. It kinda looks like a bird holding a sword and shield. xDD

The sword looks like the leek it carries and even has the same colors. But this is the internet, we can't trust anything.  :wagh:

[align=center][video=youtube]

Meet Sirfetch’d, the Wild Duck Pokémon! Farfetch’d that inhabit the Galar region can evolve into Sirfetch’d after experiencing many battles.

Meteor Assault is a new move introduced in these games that only Sirfetch'd can learn! Sirfetch'd points its leek at the opponent and charges toward them at great speed. This move is devastatingly powerful! However, it appears that the move also puts great strain on Sirfetch'd. It will be unable to take action immediately after using this move.

So he lose his typing and changes to a pure fighting type... interesting :thinking:

I'm a bit upset since it is only exclusive to Sword. I am getting Shield and I want to know what Shield will get; maybe another type of evolution? The move looks awesome and I'm actually a bit surprised Farfetch'D lost his Normal/Flying type and turned to a pure fighting type. Maybe he lost his ability to fly after so many battles?  :think: Either way, I can't wait to see what Shield will have that is exclusive just for us.

Yeah, I’m surprised that he changed completely into a new type. Has there been a Pokémon that completely change evolution upon evolving? Anyways, I’m loving the hell out of the memes (where they make his lance super huge), but my favorite one is the Japanese trailer zooming on his face :lmao: It’s meme material, right there!

mVyAzkF.jpg

As for Sword Exclusive, people are speculating that Shuckle or Dunsparce could get an evolution for Shield Exclusive… but I doubt the former is getting one, due to evolite. Have you seen its stats? It already has a base stat of 230 in defense and special defense… yeah, Game Freak won’t be touching that thing unless they remove evolite from the game (never going to happened) or make a Galarian Shuckle so the regular one won’t get the benefits. :thinking:

Another note, if some of you are not aware, The Pokémon Company posted a fun thing with Dynamx:

Today, The Pokémon Company have added a new website called the Dynamax Camera. This camera allows you to upload photos on the smartphone and it adds a Dynamax variant of it to the photo with up to 50 different results.

So we have confirmation of more old Pokes in the Galar Pokedex, including Aegislash (because, well, it makes too much damn sense! Solrock and Lunastone didn't appeared in Sun and Moon Regional dex....) and, surprisingly, someone managed to dig some interesting information (credit by abcboy):

The Japanese Dynamax picture site has codenames for the Galar Pokémon, am investigating...
- Scorbunny: Usagi1
- Sobble: Chameleon1
- Grookey: Gorilla1
- Yamper: Inu1
- Rolycoly: Sekitan1
- Wooloo: Wool1
- Corviknight: Gcommondori3
- Alcremie: Gcream2
- Morpeko: Pospika
- Polteageist: Teacup2
- Duraludon: Haganedoragon
- Gossifleur: Touwata1

This means Grookey might evolve into a gorilla, Polteageist and Alcremie are second stages, and Corviknight is the third stage of our "common bird".

They're throwing a curve-ball by showing middle evolutions this time around, and I'm surprised that Duraludon is simply a single stage mon; hopefully his has Gignamaxing.

My only comment is for the new Farfetch'd evolution bc I intended to only really keep up with SwooSh news for the sake of knowing which version to buy. Bea made me feel conflicted, but since I have some unknown soft spot for Farfetch'd that stems from me getting him in LeafGreen 3,000 years ago, I want SirFetch'd on my team.

To my knowledge there hasn't ever been an evolution (added later generations or otherwise) that completely lost its type for a new one, and Mega's don't count either. Usually they have 2 types and only 1 is replaced; I can't recall a time where 2 were lost for 1.

He's gotten a bad rep over the years because while he can deal out critical hits a lot, it's very difficult to keep him from being taken down by them, at least in my experience. I had like 4 normal types on my team when I faced the E4 including Pigeot and Farfetch'd; Raticate managed to last longer in a match compared to him AND do heavier damage. I often spent many revives on Farfetch'd because he simply couldn't tank much of anything. Poor guy never got a lot of love. Strangely, I've wondered for the longest time on why his NPC nicknamed him Ch'ding but now it makes me wonder if it's supposed to mimic the sound of swords clashing together?  :shutdown: im probably thinking too much about it lel

Giving him an evolution as opposed to merely being a region-specific form is a good decision on their part and kinda makes sense to me considering he's bottom-tier among other Flying types who vastly outclass him in pretty much all aspects due to his pitiful base stats: in FRLG, practically any bird other than him was viable to use even if they didn't have the ability to land more crits. You can't really do much with him without giving him a Life Orb and a rather basic set that doesn't give you much room for variety other than "super aggressive" and even that won't last because of the life orb.

I'm very excited about him because this opens up lots of new doors for him as a viable slot in competitive:

• Access to more moves via evolving + base stat improvement
  • Steadfast boosts your Speed by 2x each time you flinch, which may present a real issue for people who might rely on Fake-Out to go first and get a head start in the match.
  • Farfetch'd's hidden ability is Defiant. Assuming Sirfetch'd also has Defiant as its hidden ability slot, you can really do some damage since its Attack stat will raise by 2 stages for each stat stage lowered by an enemy. Very threatening if you equip him with his special crit hit stick item.
  • He can now murder rock-type pokemon that threaten his avian brethren
Basically, Game Freak gave him the chance to be hella viable and I'm excited to turn him into a little blood knight. lol

*dunkey voice* Team Sword all da way, baybee

You are right that there are Pokémon that was able to do Farfetch’s job, and better, due to more moves, abilities and overall better stats. So, I agree that giving him an evolution rather than a specific regional forme was an appropriate choice on GameFreak’s part. We could be seeing evolite Farfetch in some competitive scene now that he’s available for it now. 

Though, I’m still stump on whether on the Shield exclusive galarian forme Pokémon.

Game Informer has got permission from Game Freak and Nintendo to post a story about the games, including an interview with Masuda every 15 minutes. Don't know how long it is, but I will update this post until they are finished. There are some details that we know so far:

"Up until now, we’ve been proud we’ve been able to include so many Pokémon in the games, but as a result of that, there’s actually been quite a few features or gameplay ideas that we’ve had to abandon in the past..."
"Traditionally in the series, you start with your starter Pokémon and then you catch a lot of Pokémon in the beginning, and those are with you throughout your whole adventure, and the player gets attached to them. But a lot of times, they get into the competitive battles and they find they can’t actually use those Pokémon or they’re not competitive, so they have to go out and find the exact right Pokémon or breed them in a certain way to make sure they’re viable in competitive battle," planning director Kazumasa Iwao says. "This time around, we really wanted to introduce some systems that help the player be able to take those Pokémon they caught in the beginning, and the first one they chose, and actually take them straight into competitive battle. There’s a lot of hidden parameters to Pokémon that aren’t surfaced to the player. We're doing a lot of stuff in the back end introducing systems that allow players to make sure that Pokémon they want to use in competitive battles are viable."

When I ask Iwao for more details, he says he can't explain the system further, but he does go on to tease it a bit more. "I’ve got to be very vague about it, but one example – it will be visible to the player and they’ll know when they see it, I think – say you have a Pokémon where it’s got all the right stats and everything, but there’s a personality parameter as well that comes into play in battles, and it might not be the right personality, so you’ll breed until you get the right one, is what people do currently. But you’ll see that there’s a system in the game that will fix that for people."

While it's no longer necessary to do so, Iwao says players can still put effort into breeding to come up with the perfect specimen for competitive play. "We do think there’s value in that effort that players put into it," he says. "But at the same time, I think with Sword and Shield we wanted to also have a system that makes it a little bit more accessible. For example, if you’re bringing a Pokémon over from a previous game into these games, being able to use that specific Pokémon that has sentimental value to you in the battle system competitively is something we wanted to try this time."

They also said there will be 18 minor/major gyms which is a lot! If thats the reason for less pokemon, thats fine by me. XD

So much for doomsayers claiming Game Freak is taking people's monies by making exclusive gym leaders lol.

Finally, a dark gym... :wagh:

Okay, so I've been watching the 24-hour stream for about 5 hours and I'm about 99% sure that Galarian Ponyta is a real thing. As for typing, I think it's going to be a Fairy type. I don't think it'll be a ghost type and I don't see why people think it could be a ghost type. My speculation? I believe Ponyta will have a 3 stage evolution, similar to Zigzagoon. I think the final stage will be a Pegacorn/Alicorn. 

For those unaware of what a Pegacorn/Alicorn is, it is a unicorn with the wings of a pegasus. These are rumored to have magical properties on their horns and believed to be signs of purity. There can be evil ones, but don't quote me on that. An Alicorn is also the name of the horn of a unicorn. Confusing I know... I can't wait for this to be revealed!!

Yup! People were hellbent that it was a dog, but it had Ponyta's cry, galloping and looks like a horse. It's pretty much evident that it's Galarian Form Ponyta. It's rainbow mane is so beautiful!

Also, according to Serebii, the 18 gyms thing was misspoke by Game Informer. It still 8 gyms, so RIP Dark Gyms.

After the long 24 hours, it appears that Galarian Ponyta is a real thing and it is located in an area known as Glimwood Tangle in the Galar region. From the massive amount of fairy Pokemon located in that area, it's safe to assume that Galarian Ponyta is most likely going to be a Fairy-Type in some way. Many people assume a Ghost/Fairy type (Ghost because it is rumored that unicorns were hunted to extinction.) but I do not believe it will be a ghost type. I think it will be either a pure fairy type or a Fairy/Fire type. Fairy/Grass is a stretch but not far from Gamefreak's range. Maybe when it evolves it will add a type?

Another interesting factor we saw at the end of the live stream is two Galarian Ponyta playing. One has a tail and the other does not. Now there are several fan speculations about what happened to the tail but the most popular assumption is that the tail feature can be a gender difference, which I am more inclined to believe.

Not a Ghost nor Fairy type! It's a Psychic type. I think people often corrlelate anything pink as fairy related, but people have to understand that Unicorns is known to cure poison, and Psychic resist (and super effective against that), so the typing makes sense.

Considering that it's exclusive to Shield... with regards to the tailless Ponyta, I'm thinking that it might be a split evolution? One becomes a kelpie and the other becomes a unicorn.

People are mad that it's a psychic type lol.

I think the Ponyta without a tail might be a gender difference but a split evolution isn't that far off. Since it's a Shield Exclusive, I'm happy to say I get special dibs on our fancy cotton candy unicorn. As for it being a psychic type, I'm happy either way because I get why they would make it a psychic type. People forget that this is Gamefreak's view on what psychic is. To them, it's more of a magical or cosmic experience. So while Westerners think that psychics are Zen-like gurus or people who can bend spoons, GameFreak believes them to be almost supernatural in a sense, which explains the magical look of Galarian Ponyta. Fairy-Type, in my opinion, can follow the trickster side of that view. I'm not sure what GameFreak considers the theme of 'fairy-types' to be, but most of the Pokemon that ARE Fairy-type are tricky or mystical in a way. Maybe that's how I see it.

As to G-Ponyta, I'm super excited to see the moves it learns and I'm hyped about its ability. Sounds like a great support Pokemon if you ask me~!

Alright, the preview embargo has been lifted, and we have several websites reporting different things about the game.

Firstly, they managed to play around 90 minutes of the game. Secondly, they cannot disclose anything regarding anything about a starter’s evolution (t was unsuccessful) and any new Pokémon and Galarian forms. Lastly, everything will be placed under spoilers, so click it at your own risks about information about the games.

Note: According to Joe Merrick, Serebii of Serebii.NET, stated that the Pokémon Company was aware of the news cycle was too much during the Sun and Moon era and didn’t leave any surprises for the fans. Hence why they’re taking a different approach of dropping latest information about the games.

Game Informer: Playing Through The Beginning Of The Game
Eurogamer: Hands on with the enchanting first two hours of Pokémon Sword and Shield
VG247: Pokemon Sword and Shield is the most detailed Pokemon adventure yet
The Verge: Pokémon Sword and Shield’s opening is a mix of nostalgia and innovation
everyeye.it: POKEMON SPADA E SCUDO GIOCATO PER OLTRE UN'ORA: LE NOVITÀ DEL GAMEPLAY

• Nearby Forest: Slumbering Weald
  • Starting Village: Wedgehurst
  • Nearest Major City: Motostoke
  • According to several sources, Nickname Rater, Move Deleter and Move Relearner fused as a single NPC and can be found in Pokémon Centers. These services can be use for any Pokémon you have, rather than the ones in your party.
  • Hop has two Pokémon when you battle him after getting your first Pokémon.
  • You can save literally right before you can picked your starters. Shiny Hunters embraced.
  • Tutorial can be skipped and/or doesn't exist. 
  • Can freely access PC in Wild Area. Once you enter, the Camera swings behind the character and you can rotate 360 degrees.
  • In the Wild Area, it features Pokémon with Max IVs and Egg Moves if demarcated by a yellow aura.
  • Wild Area has its own currency called Watts, which can be exchanged for camping gear, items, ingredients, and other exclusive items. TMs is also available in this area.
  • In the Wild Area, you will encountered Pokémon that far exceeds your level, causing as someone encountering an lvl 40 Dusclops.
  • Yamper encountered in starting area
  • The Pokédex now has an integrated minimap that shows what Pokémon are in the route you're in.
  • There are now three types of encounter: visible, roaming Pokémon you walk into, traditional random encounters in the long grass, and "exclamation mark" encounters in long grass that you can either provoke for an encounter with a rarer Pokémon or sneak by to avoid.
  • I read the article of everyeye.it and it says " ci si sente fin da subito ambientati in un'avventura inedita, feeling sottolineato dall'assenza, ci tengo a precisarlo, di Pokémon di generazioni passate per oltre ottanta minuti". It means: "Since the beginning, we feel to be in an original adventure, and this feeling is underlined by the absence, I want to stress it, of Pokémon of past generations for over eighty minutes".
  • You also have a chance run-in with a powerful pokémon of ancient legend, setting up a fateful meeting far down the line in the narrative. It feels like a proper opening to an adventure RPG that just so happens to involve tiny, emotive creatures you capture, train, and battle. In the course of my 90 minutes with the opening sequences of Shield earlier this month, on a docked Switch at Nintendo’s Bay Area office, I was surprised at how often it felt like I was playing not a Pokémon game, but something more like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy.

EHFWktPU0AE9QFV.jpg

EHFXDWkUYAAEebG.png

EHFy4ICUUAE7EKj.png

FeTVfRP.jpg

EHFcZTyUwAATkPR.jpg

EHFbe0qVUAAlX9d.jpg

EHHcxehWwAAcAg-.jpg

Looks like all those #BRINGBACKNATIONALDEX got blown out the window and now they suddenly love the game. xDD The wild areas look very interesting and runs in real time if connected to the internet. This is very cool, especially if you plan to do Max Raids with your friends. Maybe we can finally team up with @"Ploep" and show her the way of BATTLE. We're gonna toughen her up. I'm kidding. xDD

The graphics look great and I can't wait to play the game. Apparently, the Wild Areas are completely free to roam and don't require you to advance the story to see them all I think. I think you need to advance farther in the story to get to certain areas located in the Wild Areas. Looking at the Galar Region map, looks like the train connects all the wild areas and appears to pass through the biggest cities in the region. According to some of the articles and videos, despite the fact that they played for 90 minutes (1 hour and 30 minutes), they barely made it anywhere since they were so busy exploring. The game would also stop them once they reach Route 3 but all the players said they weren't even close to that route.

Tons of new Pokemon in the first routes/areas were mentioned but not announced. My guess is that there will be 100 brand new Pokemon. I can hope, right? xDD

Back
Top Bottom