Overwatch Discussion

The enemy team on Havana had a Reaper, but of course, this is gold, so our skill level is probably not as similar to Plat... come to think of it, I don't really remember him being a threat... I think that's because I'd force him to waste his Wraith so that Dva or another teammate could kill him off without issue. I feel like Widow could've picked me off pretty easily if she didn't choose very obvious platforms that were in my line of sight. lol
Their Sombra did give me some trouble though, it feels impossible to track her if you hear her taunting you with some voice lines...

The only way to eat Hanzo's ult is the arrow itself, which has about 1 second entirely for the wind-up animation and casting before the arrow transforms into the dragons. So as D.Va you HAVE to be right in his face and DM it immediately or else it passes you and kills everyone behind you. So if you accomplished that with Sigma, it means he is able to eat the ult as a projectile so long as it's in Arrow form and no Dragons have spawned yet. Not sure the specific points you can get back for your shield or if it varies based on the attack.
Orisa and Rein's shields can block Sigma's Boulder, but D.Va cannot... it's a very strange projectile, kind of like how Rein's Firestrike goes through their shields but D.Va can eat it. Probably is a matter of balancing the Tanks individual utility.

Oooh, I didn't know that. I'll do some testing in Total Mayhem tonight with Z to see what I can block with it. I haven't able to successfully absorbed DVA bomb yet. I'm pretty sure I most likely ate the arrows and probably didn't show. 

Yeah, that is kind of weird. Does DVA cancel out Junkrat's Ult? Rocks could be under that kind of category :thonk:

Good luck, I don't think it's possible to absorb D.va's bomb because it isn't a projectile. BUT

I know Ana and McCree can stop her ult's momentum with their sleep dart and stun while roadhog can hook it towards him/into a pit by moving his view, so it's possible Sigma can stop the momentum with his boulder. Cancelling it or absorbing outright probably isn't possible.

She can't eat Junkrat's ult and it tends to de-mech her. Its properties don't reflect the physics of a projectile afaik. However her DM is kind of buggy, I have a hard time eating Ashe's dynamite while it's in midair. I hear the blocking noise it usually does absorbing that kind of thing, but the dynamite doesn't disappear, it just lands on the floor and goes off.

So... Overwatch and Nintendo, officially licensed, has a Overwatch case for the Nintendo Switch...

[twitter]
and it was taken down moments later...

O7K3Iku.jpg

Overwatch coming to Nintendo Switch? Or whatever Overwatch 2 is going to be. Inb4 Tracer confirmed for Smash :lmao:

If there is an 'Overwatch 2' it better explain the main story now. I think the backstories of the characters are interesting, but it really doesn't add much if it doesn't stand against anything. As much as I love Sigma and his psycho connection to some song/melody, we probably will never know what that melody is and why it torments him. We can only assume.

My theory: Talon took Sigma and tortured him/brainwashed him with a song. Every time he hears that song, he goes crazy, thus giving Talon full control over him. What that melody is and why? I can't even think up something for that.

But back to the OverSwitch, it looks super cool and I wouldn't mind having one. I'm not a super hyper Overwatch Player (I mostly play Total Mayhem because it's fun as hell) I'm starting to like the new Comp/Quickplay style of the game. Makes things a lot more fair and balanced.

If I was a betting man, if there is an Overwatch 2, I’m thinking that it isn’t a sequel, but rather, another game of the series to intertwined with it. It’ll be, as you said, focused on the main story and its characters. I wouldn’t be surprise if the Overwatch bag have any hints to a game heading to their system. Though, I wonder if the original Overwatch game can be fitted on the Switch—I’m assuming it requires some workaround to make it work and efficient on the Switch’s hardware.

Lack of story meme aside, I thought Sigma is perhaps one of the best introductions for the game. The music, the scenery and the imagery was outstanding, and let’s not forget about the man who voiced him. Marvelous job.

I’ve seen a lot of people, mainly flex players, complaining about the role queues/locks since it prevent them from switching from a character whenever a player on their team isn’t putting in their weight. Personally, while I can understand that feeling, these players simply must adapt to the new situation of the game. The game has never been this balanced (at least, more sensible) and finally, we have healers without fail in any game.

The only thing I would like to see some improvement is more aggressive measures against leavers. If someone leaves the game, say, 5 minutes into the match, they should have a ban up to 12 hours. Repeated offenses should increase if they keep doing it.

The only comment regarding Overwatch 2 that I know of was that they were going for a Left 4 Dead type of feel. I'm pretty sure that mostly implies a PvE system with online co-op, but this idea was remarked some time ago, so it is probably subject to change. It can't really be a proper sequel if OW never had anything to build off to begin with. Hopefully they get their asses in gear and actually develop their story already instead of just tacking more and more characters via DLC. I think we have enough cast members now to have a legitimate story to go off of, so can we quit the blue-balling with the comics being on perma-hiatus and the animated shorts that, while very well made, come out SO DAMN SLOWLY AND DON'T REALLY DO ANYTHING TO FURTHER THE PLOT? Get on with it already man!!!!

Or shit, just drop all pretenses of a MCU level of worldbuilding and just give us the damn story mode already. I'll take anything because just playing with their concepts isn't really enough for me to bother supporting the franchise financially. If you want me to buy your merch so bad, try harder to actually incorporate things into the game instead og shoehorning in things via additional content. Or hell, just make an animated movie already. Surely you got enough sheckels from lootboxes to finance a motion picture by now?

And to the flex mains crying about role queue not letting them flex: just pick all 3 hero slots and press "ready". There. You're flexing! 
Role Queue has eliminated flex mains and most people tend to just master 1 hero for each type anyway, so one-tricks are basically no longer a threat since they can't throw matches anymore by taking an essential slot like a Tank just to fall off the map or something. At least, until said hero gets nerfed and then the Blizzard forums explode...

Which I couldn't be happier about re Role Queue. I'm sick of having to play tank/healer by now because 90% of ALL my matches required me to do it, so getting guaranteed the ability to play DPS for once is worth the price of a long wait time. Being a healer stopped being fun after a while because Mercy fell out of reliability for me and everyone else kept instalocking Moira. But now I can pick whatever I want and not worry about anything! The only real downside to that is... I have to actually learn how to play like a DPS now outside of using Junkrat in FFA. :lmao:

Overwatch 1 on a Switch sounds like a lot of work... maybe more work than the Fortnite conversion but I'm sure it's doable. The only real issue is probably the snipers who aim down a sight since they would have to figure out how to translate that into joycon/standard setup.

Also Winston clearly deserves to be put in Smash more than Tracer. WINSTON DESERVES IT

Any source on that? That’s sounds interesting if they were going for that type of gameplay, but if it was that long ago, it probably that changed. I still think an RPG would greatly benefit the game’s overall feel. Like… like Astral Chain or turn-based RPGs. But yeah, they have enough voice actors and content to create a story.

But then again, it does take a lot of time and effort to create an entirely story mode. Retribution took around 6+ months to get it finished in time when it came out for the first time, and they still had issues (remember our favorite moment where players cannot finish the mission because some refused to get on the god damn plane?).

One thing that people (as I do) tend to forget is that each company has a budget and they simply can’t just toss money at it. That’s just not how any business works. And putting more money into it doesn’t make the process any faster—the game developers aren’t robots and things happen—engines breaks, data gets lost, someone spills coffee over drawing sheets, etc., so we should be more forgiving to let developers work at their own pace. At this point, despite my comments earlier… a story-based mode is probably not feasible in a game like Overwatch—best put it in another, side game.

You can actually pick all three roles? How does that work :think:

===

So we got confirmation about Overwatch coming to the Switch. Here's some quick facts:

• Nintendo E-Shop Price: $39.99 USD
  • This is the Legendary Edition of Overwatch which includes the 5 Origins Skins + 5 pre-selected Legendary skins and 5 Epic skins from the standard Loot Box distribution.
  • Pre-purchase the game and get the Widowmaker Noire Skin and a Golden Loot Box (only for Switch).
  • Immersive gyroscopic motion controls
  • Get 3 free months of Nintendo Switch Online (required for Overwatch on Switch)
  • The game will run at 30 FPS at 900 pixel resolution docked and 720 pixel resolution undocked.
  • Voice chat is still operated on Blizzard’s platform and not through Nintendo’s voice chat service.

Gyro-motion controls seems to be pretty damn good since it's essentially just as accurate (or at tad behind) as the mouse.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicb...06/07/overwatch-2-left-4-dead-2019-announced/

This is the closest thing I could dig back up that mentions the "Left 4 Dead" line but it's undisclosed as to when Blizzard made this comment... the articles about it were published in June, but afaik it's a report with no actual date on it beyond when it was circulated. I might be confusing it with a different game's report altogether. Idk

I do know that they cancelled a Starcraft project in order to focus more resources into Overwatch 2 and Diablo (https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku...-starcraft-first-person-shoote-1835285125/amp)

TBH, I would be a little more forgiving if the people developing Overwatch was some indie company with not too much help, but they aren't. It's a big company owned by an even bigger one trying to do too much at one time, which leads to cancellations of other projects (usually when they realize a little too late there isnt enough to go around) to develop others of higher interest. Maybe they got ahead of themselves and realized that fans actually want a story and doing it through 10 minute shorts wasn't efficient to do so past exposition/introductory stages. And neither are the comics: those were out of chronological order and generally have no context around them except for a handful that were for fun. My favorite one would be the Zarya/Sombra comic since it does follow up to Infiltration, but that is the only one I think... I do like the halloween comics but it's for the event. Retribution was the lastest entry and I personally found it completely redundant, it easily could've been converted into a few lines of dialogue as part of the opening sequence for the in-game event. And seeing as we have not gotten a comic since last year, they might not be using it as a storytelling medium anymore. The written stuff is okay enough to have gotten us up to speed for like... 5 characters, but I don't think they are pursuing book publishing either. However, the person who wrote the story for Baptiste's entry has a much better narrative style than Michael Chu... if they continue with written installments with her, I'll gladly read them.

After 3 years of this game being out, I don't have a lot of patience waiting for Blizz to push the story barely past its prologue phase at a snail's pace anymore (taking all the departments into account). I have nothing against the artists and people who actually make and code the assets of the game with what they have; they no control over such things because they are freelancers given deadlines and are not the focus of the branch of Blizzard that I'm criticizing. I'm more miffed at the people above them who are the ones making the decisions to do so many things at once and inadverdently dug themselves into a hole doing it. I can't pretend to know shit about any of it, but the least they should be capable of doing is managing their time and resources properly instead of spreading themselves so thin they have to backtrack afterwards. 

That being said, I treasure the fun I have playing it and theorizing about stuff when given things of substance, I just wish they would be better at how they deliver story stuff so that when they DO release supplementary content until a story mode is(?) out, it feels worth the wait.

There aren't new PvP modes for events anymore, they just recycle it. For the crowd expecting a story to be advanced eventually, new hero patches, esports, and MAYBE OW2 are really the only things helping them maintain engagement right now because Blizz likely realized that shorts and comics are not a viable substitute to illustrate a low sci-fi/action/high-octane conspiracy story where its characters were designed for a FPS game (and some don't shoot... they might freeze you or use a kamehameha). Role Queue seems to have caused an uptick in general buzz though.

But I will say that the shorts have never really disappointed me; the production quality is up there with Pixar (nobody knows how much they spend on each short, oddly enough) and they are really good for getting you to become attached to the characters and gives you motivation to expect something more from them in future story-related content. Now that nearly everything has been set up, they can use the traction and market Overwatch 2 to the people that want to explore the setting deeper than a few voicelines about each map in PvP matches. Almost a year ago Jeff himself said that a fleshed out story mode requires it to be a game all on its own because the engine they are using to develop Overwatch was strictly designed for PvP (player v player). It's so difficult for them to develop PvE events doing things from scratch each time that it takes them literal months to complete them, and the newest one feels shorter than its previous ones from my observations. Or at least, if gets more linear each iteration.

While speaking with Fran, a streamer for the Overwatch League team of the Atlanta Reign, at Blizzcon 2018, Overwatch Game Director Jeff Kaplan explained that the creation of PVE (player versus environment) content for the first person shooter is difficult. The reasoning for the difficult nature of creating PVE content is due to the development team having designed the title's engine to focus on PVP elements. This means that when Blizzard creates PVE pieces of content, such as the limited timed event of Retribution, that they have to create it from scratch and this process take a considerable amount of time. 

However, Jeff Kaplan clarified that this does not mean that a story mode will not be developed, but that it would be a very difficult and lengthy process to create a story mode for the title. Jeff Kaplan ended his addressing of a possible story mode for Overwatch by stating that a story mode like feature for the game's universe would likely be a completely new game set apart from what we know as Overwatch. 

It looks as though that the esports title from Blizzard Entertainment will not be getting a complete story mode in the near future, but hopeful fans of a deeper PVE experience will be happy to hear that Jeff Kaplan has stated that this kind of addition is not out of the realm of possibility.
So the idea is still on the table, we'll just have to wait for a long while for them to develop the PvE engine that is likely from scratch :(

Animated shorts were shown to help advertise the game and increase interest before release, but it seems to me that they proceeded with PvP development without fully deciding yet on how much they intended to use shorts and the game itself to festure storytelling elements.

Above all else, I don't think they really have a focus group... they want to appeal to anime fans (all the girls have anime eyes), esports fans, casuals, and people who play story-driven games all at the same time. And I think that's hindered their focus even more on top of balancing the game each time a new hero shows up. It doesn't help that Overwatch isn't actually that entertaining as a spectator sport... at least in my opinion.

Overwatch 2 is most likely this projected story mode Jeff referenced last year... and even then, this is assuming they actually go through with it to completion. And they're sticking to their word of keeping a tight lid on projects until they reach a state of certainty in developmental stages to be worth speaking about to the public. Until then, we'll hear a lot of rumors about what OW2 is supposed to be that will be unconfirmed for a while.
=======

But to answer your question, yes, you can queue into comp by selecting 2 or 3 roles before pressing Ready. At least, it worked for me when playing RQ Beta. I pressed 'X' for 2 or all 3 roles and then just went in. The matchmaker just throws you into a game but you still are restricted to one hero class once you join a match. If I pick DPS and Healer, I'm most likely to join a match only as Healer because DPS will have a far longer wait time. If you pick all three, it's really just based on which role can get you into a game the fastest because you technically are saying you don't care what you get as a role.

If I'm right, XBone and PS4 run Overwatch at 60fps without factoring lag that drops the framerate. That's kind of an oof... I mean, maybe it isn't, I will have to try it on my PS4's video settings to really know. There are some videos of people playing at 30fps, but they are a couple years old and don't reflect the patch they had us download for the engine's update to improve things like Mei's ice texture and the models themselves. I probably won't get it on the switch without a pro controller first, and that's if I don't mind working my way back up to all the cosmetics I've earned.

But imagining a Reaper main using them to shoot and throwing them on the floor as a reload gesture is really funny to me!

McCree: "You weren't given those Joycons to toss 'em around like trash!"
Reaper: "They're drifting..."

Trust me, I get that feeling. I agree that it has been 3 years since the game’s release, and usually at this point, we should have gotten ton of content. Yet, development time for certain modes usually does take longer than others. It might be feasible for Grand Theft Auto 5 to keep delivering content after nearly 6 years, but for Overwatch, especially with an engine like that, it might be a different story. I’m just saying that using terms like “multi-million” or “indie” really doesn’t mean anything in a scale of things of the time-consuming process of building events. No matter how much money or manpower they can throw at it, it won’t make the process faster (if anything, it just balloons things and/or slow things down even further).

Everything else, I agree with you. The comics are usually lackluster or not enough content to justified it. I feel like a monthly series of Overwatch by hiring freelancers and/or artists can give the series some justice—but the problem is that either they don’t have a concrete plot (hence why they provide snippets) or simply don’t want the comics to get ahead of character releases. Even though comics building up to characters can easily build up hype for next characters in the game. This can be applied to Shorts as well. Whoever is calling the shots seemingly seems a bit disconnected with the overall development of Overwatch. Or perhaps that Overwatch is just that, an underdeveloped story PvE game.

And at this point, if they are going to pursue a story, then yeah, a full game on its own its required. I really don’t see any other option other than this route… and it should be developed by a different team, so resources and work don’t get piled on people. I mean, we don’t want a repeat of Telltale, right? :maybe:

===

Wow, I didn’t know that… so it’s not really flexing, but it’s basically you are putting whatever role that gets there fastest in the queue. Interesting...

I usually go for the Healer route, mainly because Moira is such a god damn beast. I constantly get 10K+ in heals, and I kind of figure out how to manage her healing output. I used the sprays for people close, while using healing orbs for people far away or rushing in the point. I also popped my ult very often to ensure that A) my team gets healed and B) push the enemy back so they scatter, making them easy pickings for the rest of my team. So far, I’m at 2800+ in SR… I’m feeling fairly good. I kind of wish they give her being able to fade through hammer down to add to her mobility… but I get why they removed that. She was considerably even stronger in survivability… and total mayhem? Lol, she’ll be practically unkillable.

===

Yeah, that seems a bit of a downgrade from other consoles, but I guess we won’t know until the game launched. I wonder if cross saves will be an option? Other games on the Switch has that options, so Blizzard should have no reason to restrict that.

There’s a new Bastion Lego event, so check that out!

Anyways, I was playing a ton of competitive matches since season 18 went live. So far, I’m loving the role queues. Two healers, two tanks and two DPS which enables a healthy, fresher team experience. Though, it does get annoying when there's a Pharah, and the Junkrat/Reaper refuses to switch to a hitcan to deal with it.

But.

I do notice a couple of things playing high platinum/border masters. Symmetra is very, enormously powerful against the double shield meta that was born within season 18. Constantly powered up her beam to the point that she never lose any ammunition (since it reloads when it slams onto energy shields). Today, they nerf her slightly by reducing her max beam output, but still, she is powerful right now. Not that I’m complaining, because it forces tanks to think smart of their decision.

I was in a game whereas we were attacking on Horizon. We had a Symmetra, put a teleporter in between the hallways and into the point and bam, we captured it within seconds. We won the entirely of the game quite easily after that. The other team (filled to the brim with masters) did the same and captured the first point, but we managed to fend them off on the second.

I feel like she’s a bit too strong, or at least, she’s consistently good. Yet, Brigette gets the short end of the stick.

Another character is Doomfist rising (no pun intended) to the ranks now that the double shield meta is shining through. He bashes through shields, pushing the shit against out of position players, and punished them afterwards (mainly healers and dps). I feel like a nerf is coming for him because of this, but I don’t think so… perhaps this is good since there’s nothing against the double shields as of now.

Anyone noticed the change of certain characters in this new meta? Characters that just grind your gears?

Back
Top Bottom