Mob Psycho 100

It has been about 8 episodes into the new season, so I think it is time to drop some thoughts I have, mainly, surrounding the newest episode.

The interesting aspect about Mob Psycho 100 is the lesson that all of us have the willingly to change, if we put our efforts into it, and those that help you along the way can also contribute into becoming a better person overall. Regardless of what special ability you have (something that was repeated in REIGEN, the spin off manga of Mob Psycho 100), those abilities do not define you—your actions, your personality and our decisions define what you are.

So, it brings it back to episode 8, which I think serves another reminder of how powerful Mob had become. Mob is consistently never able to have his own thoughts, his own opinions on any matters, and perhaps to deduce himself from any controversy or simply just out of loop of things, Yet, after the events of the Mogami arc (and his encounter with the ghost family), truly changed Mob of how he thinks.

Here, Mob planned that he wanted to confess to Tsubomi next year once he placed in the top ten in the marathon—but he realized that they’re going to be so busy with the high school entrance exams, they simply won’t have time for it, thus, by next week, he have to get those rankings in order to leave an impression on her. The newspaper girl tried to court him of using his powers, but he’d adamant of proving his own worth by using his physical strength.

This is the consistent point of Mob’s character—he knows that powers do not mean dick; it didn’t even leave much an impression to Tsubomi after a few tries. Perhaps to a normal person, once they gain powers, it would be the best feeling in the world, but after a while, people would be bored or either find a way to take advantage of you in some fashion. So, he concluded, if he can show her another side of him, he would win over her heart. This is where his friends from all shapes and sizes went out of their way to assist Mob with his goal, even his parents supported him.

It’s a easy, but miss sequence, but at the beginning of the episode, Mob fell down and scratch his knees, causing him to cry. Yet, when he fell in the marathon and received the same scratch on the area, he proceeds to keep doing, showing his progression of growth.

Growth, learning, humble, and hard work, I think, is the foundation that this series is built upon. You control your own life, but make sure you don’t get too caught up—others help you along the way, which I think some people often overlook.

Back
Top Bottom