Goblin Slayer

ShineCero

The Strongest
ADMINISTRATOR
Pronouns
He/Him
Seems like a perfect place to start a thread on this anime, now that the anime is coming out in a few days.

@"LoopyPanda" @"~ Z ~"

You guys know. I'll update the OP in a bit.

I have a strange feeling that the Elf's influence is going to affect the way Goblin Slayer does things. :thinking:

Hey Shine, you used to have Goblin Slayer as your set back in the day. I assumed you read the manga and liked enough for that so I have to ask, what kind of story do you think the anime will tell? I got a dark fantasy vibe that acted as a Japanese deconstruction of a Western trope from what I've heard of the series, is that correct?

Grey Star said:
Hey Shine, you used to have Goblin Slayer as your set back in the day. I assumed you read the manga and liked enough for that so I have to ask, what kind of story do you think the anime will tell? I got a dark fantasy vibe that acted as a Japanese deconstruction of a Western trope from what I've heard of the series, is that correct?

Yes! You are absolutely correct. 

I wouldn't called it an deconstruction (the term is throw around too loosely nowadays), but it's rather than a dark twist of the DnD concept. Here, you have a guy who kills nothing but Goblins--but presentation is dark and uncomfortable to think about. 

There are explicit scenes, of course, so watch out for those if those things aren't in your alley.

I hope the anime doesn't use too much censorship in regards to death scenes, because well, you know, brutality is the key here since fuck those little demons :wagh:

Grey Star said:

You hit that nail on the head. 

The story itself (avoiding spoilers) is basically about a dude who has made it his purpose to kill all goblins. In this world, Goblins are, debatably, worse than actual higher leveled monsters. Goblins are stated to learn more quickly than regular monsters and hold grudges against those who hurt them, seeking out revenge when they are strong enough. They are smart enough to make weapons and poisons from the world around them and rob the belongings of those they have killed, growing strong both individually or as a group. Goblin Slayer (the main character) sees the disgusting nature and cunning wit of these creatures and sees them as a bigger threat to the people, especially when the goblins have been shown to plan and think both hive-like and independently. 

I highly recommend you give the first couple of chapters a read, you won't regret it. I read the first chapter and I was instantly hooked. It takes the whole 'open fantasy world' and adds a darker, more sinister twist. I think you'll like it! 

@ShineCero Elf-Chan better not mess up Goblin Slayer. ...Then again, I might have spoken too soon.

~ Z ~ said:
Grey Star said:

You hit that nail on the head. 

The story itself (avoiding spoilers) is basically about a dude who has made it his purpose to kill all goblins. In this world, Goblins are, debatably, worse than actual higher leveled monsters. Goblins are stated to learn more quickly than regular monsters and hold grudges against those who hurt them, seeking out revenge when they are strong enough. They are smart enough to make weapons and poisons from the world around them and rob the belongings of those they have killed, growing strong both individually or as a group. Goblin Slayer (the main character) sees the disgusting nature and cunning wit of these creatures and sees them as a bigger threat to the people, especially when the goblins have been shown to plan and think both hive-like and independently. 

I highly recommend you give the first couple of chapters a read, you won't regret it. I read the first chapter and I was instantly hooked. It takes the whole 'open fantasy world' and adds a darker, more sinister twist. I think you'll like it! 

@ShineCero Elf-Chan better not mess up Goblin Slayer. ...Then again, I might have spoken too soon.

Yep. I also like the fact that Goblin Slayer isn't really a hero persay, as the one who slays the demon lords and whatnot. He absolutely have no interest in it whatsoever. He's only goal in life is to kill Goblins and nothing more (since he's most equipped on dealing with them). When it comes to other monsters... you definitely have to check that out, since, well, spoilers.

---

I don't know. Something is extremely off about her. I mean, not as strange as the Blind High Priestess, but strange nevertheless. She's adamant pushing Goblin Slayer to venture out and repeatedly tried to make him do things he doesn't want to do. The whole rule about not using all of his experience to deal with the Goblins in the underground sewers... :thinking:

[align=center][video=youtube]

Here's the trailer of the animated series. What do you guys think? :wagh: @"LoopyPanda" @"~ Z ~"

I think it looks pretty good and they picked a lot of good voice actors, especially the actors for Lizard Shaman and Elf Archer, whose VAs have done extensive voicework in Visual/Sound novels that I've seen. They'll do well in their parts, I'm sure. Also, I strangely like anime Elf Archer more than how she looks in the manga... not sure why.

They look very faithful to the manga in both aesthetics and design, so I have high hopes it will be adapted well.

but damn, CowGirl's boobs... wtf kinda physics is this
tumblr_pbl6m7hrb41rhndafo5_400.gif

Not that I didn't expect this, she's nekkid in the manga for this scene... but I don't remember them being as huge as her head here!!! :lmao: I'm glad they gave her a bra though, homegirl's back needs a break from supporting those soccer balls all day without any help   :katcry:

Yeah, seems weird they gave her a bra, but then again, there were a couple of scenes that did not made it into the anime (like the whole helmet thing). :thonk: 

Not that I mind, anyways, but I hope they won't skip anymore critical scenes in the future.

Nobidy in this universe wears a bra... not even the Archbishop who has arguably more boobage than Cow Girl. :lmao: This scene must've been for quick censorship so they wouldn't have to animate her boobs on screen (it looks more awkward in the manga since her nips never show because she smushes them on the railing. It's weird)

It kind of bothers me how often they swapped between CGI and 2D for Goblin Slayer though. Is it that tedious to animate a fairly simplistic suit of armor? They act like it's on par with a Gundam Mobile Suit or something. :lmao: It just really clashes. The other thing that bugged me was how monotone they made GS sound in scenes that had more weight to it based on how he emphasized his wordings, which ended up kinda killing the eerieness of how obsessed he is with Goblin Murder. Lol

I understand he is emotionally stunted, but I didn't get the impression it was this severe in the manga.

Yeah! I don't know if that's the translation part, but when Goblin Slayer in the manga raised his weapon, and shouted "the only good goblins are the ones that never come out of their stinky holes!" was seemingly more emphasized; yet in the animation, it feels flat and Goblin Slayer says it as an causal line.

I'm agreed that the CGI models is a huge, huge downer. Not that CGI is bad or anything, but I prefer if they do all the way with the CGI stuff (i.e making the entire show CGI models, similar to Hgh Score Girl) or keep it away or a absolute minimum. Here, it sticks out so much when compared to the 2D environment and other 3D characters. Al's robot body wasn't 3D and largely drawn... so I don't understand their decision.

The censorship issue is pretty sure. They're all in showing in graphic sexual assault, but nips is clearly out of line? Plus, they could've easily just stick what the manga did and have her boobs squished onto the railings; the bra thing just makes it silly and her boobs moved in such fashion quite hilarious. :lmao:

The only thing I can say about this series is.. that is has ruined my image of goblins forever and I absolutely hate it. Can't watch any other series abous with the dungeon theme without thinking about these type of goblins.  :dank:

Ploep said:
The only thing I can say about this series is.. that is has ruined my image of goblins forever and I absolutely hate it. Can't watch any other series abous with the dungeon theme without thinking about these type of goblins.  :dank:

Goblins are the bane of existence and they all must die :wagh:

In all serious though, I watched the next four episodes (since I was slacking off with other projects) and man oh man, they skipped a ton of shit AND the pacing is all over the place. Never mind the fact that the animation is at best mediocre at certain points (and the OVER abudance of making GS CGI in scenes he doesn't need to be), there were significant plot points that are skipped ahead .... for no reason at all.

Then, it seems like they're either moving the Goblin Lord Arc as an finale (which I see no reason for them to do) or they're skipping it out entirely, in favor doing the Sword Maiden arc (MIND YOU, the manga just recently finished this arc, but of course, they seem to be adapting the light novel but still). 

There were some good moments sprinkle here and there, but this adaption is practically poor made, poorly directed and some directions is just baffling.

Back
Top Bottom