Escaping the Blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Z ~

Black Jacket
slough+swamp+texas.jpg

Current Location: Jacksonville, Florida. 

The streets have been covered with moss, weeds, and creeping roots of the thriving plants. Everything is humid and sticky, water from overflowing rivers have left some of the city underwater. The swamp has taken back its former land. Buildings are the only escape from the heat and a safe place to sleep for the night. The Blinders roam the swampy area and seem to often fall prey to alligators and mountain lions; however, some rumors say that there are Blinders that can swim but the proper reports have yet to be found. Find the reports and be one step ahead of the Blinders or find yourself as their next target.

(Let's start this off a little different.)

Ezra and Boris both walked down an empty street with very few Blinders roaming about. The day was slowly coming to an end and the two men were looking for a place to sleep for the night. Screams were heard in the distance from people who were caught in the jaws of the Blinders. Ezra frowned at the noise but he couldn't do anything to save that person anyway. Both men were holding their main weapon in hand and didn't pay much attention to the few Blinders that were scattered about in the street. Every once in a while, Boris would randomly attack one that got too close and tossed it away to distract the lone Blinders.

"Alright Boris, we should head to the nearest neighborhood." Ezra held up a map of Jacksonville and looked to his left. "There should be a few townhouses just a few blocks from here."

"Alright, are you up for a battle?" The large German man spoke. "Ve have been fighting all day! I can continue fighting for a week, no Blinder will take me!"

"I think I can handle as many as you can, Boris..."

“Damn..." Wayne wipes the sweat off of his head. "This heat is just unbearable. I really need to get out this godforsaken state.." Wayne walked down the empty streets, cautious of his movements. "Haven't seen those bastards anywhere... I need to find a place to crash and rest my head for the night."

Wayne was holding a bag, with the bottom coated with blood. He managed to captured and kill a rabbit. 

“Shit, I hope the smell doesn't alert these fuckers and they come crawling out.” Sweat continued to form from the tip of his forehead as it dripped down on his left cheek as it hit the floor. He looked up and noticed a townhouse. "Guess I'll crash there for the night." 

He heard a voice—although faint—from afar. “Blinders don’t speak I believe. Could be another person around here?” Jason thought to himself. "I need to move quickly and avoid them."

One of the townhouses nearby already had 2 new 'occupants' who had made their way in earlier in the day. One was a woman who sat on an old sun-faded table at one of the balconies and listened to the noises echoing around the street. She was keeping watch for the rest of the day.

"Another one bites the dust," she mutters to herself while wiping the sweat off her forehead. "God, I can't stand this humidity anymore. It feels like I'm on fire but drowning at the same time."

"Don't complain, Violet. It helps us at least figure out when one of those things is nearby." Another woman came out onto the balcony after pushing some lightweight furniture to serve as an emergency barrier.

"How can you even tell? That stink is everywhere for me." Violet ran her fingers through her hair, exasperated from the day's excursion in the heat. "It's disgusting."

"The humidity keeps them from drying out completely, so we get the lovely smell called Bloating Necrosis. I guess it's thanks to medical school. Your nose learns a lot of new smells that way; like pickled cadavers. They just smell like cadavers that were left out of the morgue a little too long. Now stay on the lookout while I take inventory of the place."

"Whatever. ...I think I actually hear people talking somewhere? My ears might be tricking me though." Violet cupped her ear to see if she could make out anything against the sound of Blinders straggling along the streets.

((hope this is ok))

(It's perfect)

As Ezra and Boris continued their path, they managed to enter the cul-de-sac where most of the townhouses reside. The area had few Blinders due to it being somewhat remote. The few Blinders that roamed around caught wind of the smell of blood thanks to Wayne's bag. They were slow to follow the scent but it lead them in a almost direct path with Ezra and Boris.

"Shit." Ezra sighed. "Looks like a few of them are coming this way..."

"Ve can get rid of them, yah?" Boris smirked. "Is only a few!"

"Fine, whatever..." Ezra took out the machete he had from his hip and prepared for a small battle.

=====

A rouge female Blinder was roaming close to Wayne, attracted to the smell of blood from the dead rabbit. It wobbled over to Wayne in its weak attempt to grab him and his bag. Her hands were missing almost all the fingers and her jaw was severely dislocated, making it hang open and wave as she walked. The Blinder groaned as she got closer to Wayne.

=====

Near the townhouse that was occupied, the Blinders were seen heading in the direction of the men but a few were roaming blindly (lol pun) by the houses. One in specific manage to hear the two girls talking and jerk its head up in their direction. It stood perfectly still, almost as if knowing it would not be able to reach them. Whether it understood the girls or not, it hissed audibly when they talked about how the Blinders smelled. Its mouth was stained with blood and teeth were jagged. Soon, the odd Blinder turned away from the girls, following the horde towards the men.

Wayne learned the groaning from the Zombie, taking a few steps back away from the Zombie as he held onto the bag on tight. "Damn," Wayne mumbled in an irritated tone. "They caught a swift of the scent. No choice." Wayne pulled out a knife from his backpack and charged towards the Zombie, an attempt to ram the knife through the forehead.

Violet stared down the Blinder as it hobbled off in the other direction with a slight scowl on her face. That's right, walk away if you know what's good for ya, She thought mockingly while she watched. But she also found it strange that it seemed to be following something until she heard the faint sound of voices nearby again. This made Violet curse under her breath because it meant there were more humans around, and that might spell potential trouble for her and Molly.

"Did you see something?" Molly whispered in a low voice. 

"I think more are nearby." Violet jerked a thumb in the direction she saw the Blinder follow. She wanted to hole up and hope nobody would attempt to enter their part of the townhouse complex.

"Just keep an eye on them. I'll keep our stuff ready just in case we need to bail last-second." Molly wasn't able to find anything else except a can of pickled sliced beets someone ditched in their haste to leave. "Beets for dinner?... Eh, better than toasted crickets again." She didn't seem concerned about whoever might be out there; they were probably too far away for them to help anyway.

"Roger." Violet kept her eyes trained on the areas around the complex, her gaze following the wandering Blinders.

Three Blinders came up to Ezra and Boris while they all chomped their jaws loudly. Boris took a hold of one Blinder's leg and began to swing it around to smack the other nearby Blinders. Ezra was more direct with his approach and made swift slices to their throats and gashes to their heads using his machete. Each blow seemed strong enough to break broke and crack skulls. Boris, obviously having more fun, released the Blinder he had which went flying and slammed right into the house next to Molly and Violet. It gargled once then stopped moving proving no threat to anyone.

"Now dats a home run, right Ezra?!" Boris chimed. "I bet ve can set records doing this!"

"If only it were that easy buddy." Ezra smirked, ripping his machete out of a Blinder's skull. "We gotta find a way to lose 'em."

====

The Blinder nearing Wayne was too slow to move away from the knife on time and simply hissed and gargled nonsense. A few seconds later it crumpled to the floor, lifeless from the direct hit; however, thanks to the smell of the rabbit, more Blinders would rush to Wayne's direction. Luckily there were not that many to begin with. While some were busy with Ezra and Boris, the few that manage to slip by ran to Wayne. This time Wayne had a Blinder rushing at him from both sides.

=====

With Molly and Violet safe in the townhouse, the sight of Ezra, Wayne, and Boris fighting the Blinders would finally come to view. It was a nice show to anyone who wasn't fighting. With few Blinders roaming about in this area, the girls seemed safe for now.

"S-shit!" Wayne said, looking side to side the Blinders were rushing in from. Wanye had a choice. Either ditch the rabbit and call it a loss or fight his way out and hope he had a chance to survive. Only having a few seconds to think, Wanye threw the bag that contains the dead rabbit to the nearest patch of bushes. Then, he went for the one on the right, jamming his knife through his torso and low kick his legs to have him fall to the floor before running away.

"What was that noise?" Molly called out from inside.

"There's a couple guys down there fighting off the meatbags. I wouldn't want to piss off the big one." Violet said while watching the aftermath of the Blinder crashing into a nearby townhouse. "But that might take care of having to deal with clearing our way back out."

"Well, doesn't that mean they're looking for a place to stay? It's gonna get dark soon." Molly pointed out.

"And? It isn't our problem if they pick the wrong house to go into. I didn't check the other townhouses for any surprises, just this one. Their loss if they go through the wrong door. Besides, what's the odds they pick this one?" Violet shrugged with a smirk, which made Molly narrow her eyes at her in a glare.

".... just hope none of them are armed with guns. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight." This made Violet flip her off before turning back to watch the show.

The Blinder that Wayne attacked fell to the floor, stunned by the jab to his chest. It wasn't dead but it seemed to take its time getting up. When Wayne tossed the rabbit, a few Blinders were following the smell and left Wayne alone. However, there was only one Blinder that kept hot on Wayne's trail and was somewhat quick on its feet while it wobbled its way to Wayne.

====

While Ezra finished off a Blinder by gashing open its head with his machete, Boris grabbed another Blinder and tossed it into the air again. The Blinder went flying and was aimed right at townhouse the girls resided. Luckily it didn't hit the girls directly but it did crash on top of the roof. It growled and rolled down like a rag doll off the angled rooftop and slammed on the balcony rails and managed to cling on. It made no attempt to climb back and attack the girls but it did hiss and claw at them. 

"Is that another home run?!" Boris cheered. "Vhat do you think Ezra?"

"I think you crashed that Blinder in a house full of people." Ezra said while noticing just the last few Blinders left in the bunch. "You should go and do something."

"People?" Boris stared in the direction of the clingy Blinder and finally noticed Violet. "Ah! A maiden! The female is in trouble!"

Boris rushed to the Blinder but it was clear that he didn't know exactly how to bring the Blinder down. All he could do is toss rocks at the Blinder in hopes it will let go.

"S-Stay inside Maiden, I'll save you!"

====

While Boris ran to aid the females, Ezra held his machete in front of him while he stared down at the last two Blinders in the area. He carefully circled them until he saw Wayne running towards him from the corner of his eye. He didn't say anything and rushed at the closest Blinder, slamming his machete on the side of his neck, almost decapitating it. 

Once I grab the other Blinder, I'll toss it at that weird running Blinder... Ezra stared at Wayne.

Violet blinked hard at the sight of what happened. "Oh... Uh. It's cool, I'll just use something to get it down." She thought about throwing something on top of the Blinder's head so it could crash back down to the ground, but quickly changed her mind, as she might need the furniture later. 

"Why not this?" Violet picked up her bat from the doorway while Molly looked wide-eyed from the sudden noises startling her. 

"What the hell was that!?" Molly said.

"Just a flyaway meatbag, no big deal." Violet waved her off. "But I don't think the bat will fit through the railing, so I can't crush its forehead. Guess I'll just smash its hands instead." She picked up her bat, moved to the side, and proceeded to hit the arm the Blinder was using to claw at her. She aimed for the elbow so it could make a clean break and render that arm useless.

"Just my luck. A blinder that can walk a bit faster."  Wayne, becoming increasingly irritated that he had to toss away his food. He stopped for a moment and slammed the dagger on its right side of the head, followed by kicking its leg to make it fall on the floor before grabbing the knife, still penetrated on its head, pulled it out and jammed it several times. Blood dripping from his ragged dagger, he turned around, seeing more Blinders. However, it seems that another person is dealing with them. However, he senses some hostility.

"What this man's problem? He's staring at me as if I'm a monster of some kind. I don't want a problem with a man with a machete... nothing good ever come out of them." Wayne thought to himself. "Nevermind that... I need to get the heck out of here and away from this mess." He turned around, heading towards the townhouses, though he can't help the feeling that things won't be easy now that man stared at him longer than it should and started to walk a bit faster.

25qt1r.jpg

Is he a Blinder or not..? I can't take chances... Ezra instantly backed away from a Blinder rushing at him and slammed his machete on the base of his neck, instantly stopping it from moving.

"Boris, Blinder running to the townhouses!" The man called out while he slammed his machete gone to decapitate the paralyzed Blinder. He ducked from the attempted grab of the last Blinder and shoved it to the ground where he began to stab and hack away at the head.

====

The Blinder clinging to the townhouse continue to hiss and gargle at the girls until Violet slammed the bat against its arm which caused it to let out a choking whail. Thanks to the chemical inside the body that rotted away most of the tissue, the Blinder fell down the balcony but the arm was left clinging to the railing. After a few moments the grip the severed arm has loosen up and gently slipped off with ease. The wounded Blinder paid no attention to its missing arm and stared up at the girls spitting out nonsense and reaching out to the girls with its remaining arm.

"Hiyah!" Boris tackled the distracted Blinder and slammed it against the walls of the townhouse which shook the interior slightly. "Wretched creature! Keep away from the people of this home!"

Grabbing the back of the Blinder's head he proceeded to slam it against the floor multiple times until it stopped moving and the head became mush in his hand. Disgusted, Boris cleaned his hand off and lifted his head when Ezra alerted him of an incoming threat. Wasting no time, he took a hold of the severed Blinder arm and blocked Wayne from going any further.

"One last Blinder to go! This one looks promising since it looks fresh!"

Wayne made an irritated noise when he gritted his teeth, his hand reach for the dagger in his backpack. He raise a brow, in confusion, that the man, who towers over him, seems to mistake him as a Blinder. 

"Blinder?" Wayne took several steps backward. "What nonsense are you sprouting on about? I ain't no Blinder!" Wayne took another step back, turning his head a bit to see if the other man [Erza] was not behind him. "Get it? Now get out of my way! Don't force my hands." He gripped onto the hilt of the dagger rather right, preparing to strike to any sudden movements.

Violet stayed to watch the show unfold from the relative safety of her balcony. "I thought this place would be empty of any people in it, but I guess not."

"He doesn't look like one to me if he can speak coherently. But he seems kinda... crazy." Molly said, staying at the doorway to the balcony.

"Maybe that's kept him alive this long. It ain't like being nice does much other than get you killed these days."

"Maybe so. We'll see who's more merciful about it."

"Vhat?" Boris stared at Wayne with a confused face before lowing his arm. "Ezra, he's no Blinder!"

The large man continued to watch Wayne carefully, not willing to lower his guard for a minute, fearing that Wayne might attack. However, now that Wayne was establish to not be a Blinder the duo had to make sure he wasn't a robber or anything worse. Boris kept himself in front of Wayne until Ezra rushed to the two after killing the final Blinder in the area, glaring down at Wayne, still suspicious.

"He's not a Blinder, Ezra." Boris chuckled. "But vhat should we do with him?"

Ezra remained silent and gripped his machete hard in case Wayne pulled off any moves. He turned his gaze up at the balcony to see Violet and Molly and called out to the girls.

"You," Ezra said sternly while pointing his machete at them which wasn't helping his cause. "Open the door. Now."

"Ezra, that is no vay to speak to a lady!" Boris grumbled. He jerked Ezra's machete away. "Don't vorry about him ladies! Ve mean no harm and ve only vish to seek shelter! Is good yah?"

"The hell is going on here?" Wayne thought to himself, still having his hand on the dagger. "Well? You're going to get out of my way, or concrete is going to have to bath in blood tonight?" Wayne stand his ground, as Erza is not making the the situation any better. He turned his head slightly, seeing that they were talking to two women. "This guy is nuts... threatening women?"

"And what will you do if I don't, big man? Threaten me some more while I'm up here and you're down there?" Violet stuck out her tongue at him childishly. "Why not let in the meatbags while I'm at it?"

"You. Hush." Molly said to her tersely before peering over the balcony out at them. For a few moments, she said nothing, and looked each of the men over with a gaze that was difficult to read. Sizing them up, none of them were particularly any less potentially dangerous without their weapons and they were as healthy as a human could be from their appearances other than natural burdens of age, so they would be at a disadvantage regardless. "Hmm. Quite the pickle we're in here..."

Molly turned her gaze towards Boris. "We could let you in, but you'd have to give us at least some assurance that you won't do anything to us. Since we've no preestablished semblance of trust, I've no choice but to let you in on a bartering system. You can stay here, but in exchange,  you either help provide some grub for dinner or you can assure we don't end up with unwanted guests. I doubt any of you are willing to tolerate any more of this horrid, soggy, swampy shithole for much longer."

"Vhat?" Boris stared blankly at Molly, being confused with her vocabulary. 

"She's saying we either give her food or protection from the Blinders...I think." Ezra scratched his head, already annoyed and confused at his situation. "Look, we caught some fish earlier, would that be enough for you to open the door?"

"Ah yes! Ve have food! I can prepare it!" Boris tapped onto a large hiker's backpack strapped to him. There was no doubt that backpack was heavy from appearances alone but the man carried it around as if it was no bother. "Ezra can stay outside and guard for Blinders, yah? Vhat do you say, eh?"

Ezra remained silent, ignoring Boris' cheeky statement, before turning to look at Wayne then back to the bag he tossed earlier. He didn't know what was inside but he only assumed it was food. He narrowed his eyes to the older man and shook his head before pointing at where his bag was. 

"Man, no wonder they found you so quick, you don't know how to seal in the smell of blood do you?" Ezra chuckled slightly. "Blinders got a good sense of smell, don't you know that? They must've followed you here from the second they got a scent of that bag..."

"I'm very much aware of that now." Wayne responded aggressively; he placed his dagger back to his bag as Erza put away the machete. "No dinner tonight and looks like I can't aimlessly run around if the scent got them a bit excited right now." He sounds disappointed; not because of the food, but his encounter with more people. "Damn, I was expecting this to be a easy walk..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom