Crossroads Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marietta stared at the gems with curiosity, and bewilderment. Why would anyone have this kind of thing on their person out here of all places?...

Mystified, she went along with it anyway-- instinctively, she knew this wasn't something she could do anything about. "Alright. I'll place 'em somewhere safe."

Before leaving, she stopped to ask one last question. "Say, I didn't catch your names last night- I forgot my proper bedside manner in the commotion. I'm Marietta."

“Make sure they get as much sunlight as they can, it’ll make the process go faster.” Jacen replied to her ‘safe’ comment. There was a pause before he answered the question of name however.

“Jacen Petronov, and Sylvanas Guardian. That’s our names.” No other greetings, no friendlyness, just a hesitant buisness voice for someone who saved his life.

"Right away." Marietta had nothing more to say, so she ambled back to the loft upstairs and opened a hatch that led to the rooftop. Alongside a variety of assorted plants & herbs, she used the roof to safely grow her medicine free of any potential wandering eyes. Carefully, she set down the crystals arranged in a circle to compliment the rectangular array she placed her plants in already. "There. That oughta be a good spot."

As soon as the gems were placed, the light around the plants started to be dragged into them, passively absorbing the solar energy to fill up their own reserves. The quantity of light disappearing implied the gems needed a large amount of energy to reach their maximum capacity.

"He did say he needed them out here for a few hours..." Marietta muttered to herself. But at least it seemed to be working. After adjusting the plants so that no shadows were obstructing the gems, she came back down from the rooftop and down the stairs. 

"I put 'em on the roof so that nobody will disturb 'em. It'll be a while, if you need anything else taken care of."

"No, no we..." A pause in his response. "I will be fine, some supplies left in my bag. Thank you for the offer, and apologies for the stench. Say it's a dead rodent or something." He remarked, his tone strangely shifting from the brevity of business to some formal pose, as if trying to blend in.

"Lucky for you, my clinic is empty most of the time." Marietta replied. "I'll cook us up some breakfast-- I can't do any work on an empty stomach. No need to leave her side, I'll bring it to you through the door."

(GM Note: A short timeskip of 3-4 days is enacted in this thread to speed things up.)

After several days of grueling work tending to the outsiders, they were well enough to take their leave. It was a safe time to embark on their travels again, as the sun had risen completely yet. 

"I hope your travels are safe, or that you're at least careful of your surroundings while coming through these parts." Marietta said, seeing them off this morning. As a parting gift, she put together a cloth sack containing healing ointments she made from the prickly pear's flesh. There were a few glass bottles filled with the fruit's water that would keep them both hydrated longer in the arid sun compared to plain water. "If you ever need to come back, you know where to find me."

Jacen took the bag, the man having a big smile on his face for once. Sylvanas at his side, hands close to her daggers, looking rather bored.

"I, can't thank you enough for helping us the past few days." He said to Marietta. "Though we are off to the desert, we'll be better. And the next time we meet, I won't get someone covered with my blood." He joked. He looked to his side to see Sylvanas looking out to the desert.

“But, we do need to go.” He added.

"No need to thank me, it's part of my job 'round here. Though, I usually don't have my hands full like I did the past couple o' days, it felt nice to be occupied with things other than growing vegetables. It was nice to have some company for once," Marietta said lightheartedly. "It's been quiet for a while, so I don't suppose you'll have too much trouble on your way out of here." She bowed her head to them with a warm smile on her face. "I wish you good travels then."

Jacen kept his smile up and nodded.

"Goodbye," he said before a pause in breath, "my friend." He added with some confusion, before turning away and beginning to walk, Sylvanas walking in step with him, and once into the desert began to speak quietly.

"You're growing too attached." Sylvanas said.

"I know." Jacen replied.

"This means we can't prey on the travelers heading to and from there anymore, nor can we raid the town."

"Does it matter? She helped us, I can't go around betraying those who offered me their blind assistance."

"It matters when we need the supplies."

"We can always head back and visit." He pointed out.

"Don't forget what you want Jacen. Don't forget the costs involved." She said, the two disappearing from view and into the Endless Desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom