Anime/Manga You're Watching/Reading?

Z heard be complained about Platinum End, so she got me watching Death Note with her. First 4 episodes is beyond miles better than Plantium End's entire run :joy:

An anime with a long name: Is It Okay To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon?
I'm currently watching the first season.

A week ago I started watching Seraph of the End. It has been a very long time for me since I last watched anime. I think I can't watch these "generic" type of anime anymore. I don't know how to describe it, really. The stuff like naruto, where they have a stupid pause in the fight and the enemy doesn't take advantage of the clear opening to land a killing blow. Or when a character is supposedly beyond saving is going to die and gets saved regardless by some stupid way. Or when the main character insists on saving everyone and breaking protocol and it ends up working out anyways. I managed to watch the first season and the first episode of the second. I think from now on i will only watch serious stuff that don't have these stupid things in them, but not sure ho to filter for that.​

Tadashi said:
A week ago I started watching Seraph of the End. It has been a very long time for me since I last watched anime. I think I can't watch these "generic" type of anime anymore. I don't know how to describe it, really. The stuff like naruto, where they have a stupid pause in the fight and the enemy doesn't take advantage of the clear opening to land a killing blow. Or when a character is supposedly beyond saving is going to die and gets saved regardless by some stupid way. Or when the main character insists on saving everyone and breaking protocol and it ends up working out anyways. I managed to watch the first season and the first episode of the second. I think from now on i will only watch serious stuff that don't have these stupid things in them, but not sure ho to filter for that.​
Based on your post, it seems like shonen umbrella anime isn't quite appealing to you... what you listed aren't uncommon in the shonen genre.

There's no certain way to really know what's good and what isn't on the first try, but you might cut down on the muck if you try stuff like the following:
  • I've seen some people say they give whatever new show they're interested in between 1-5 episodes to catch their interest. If they don't feel strongly attracted to anything in said anime they either discard it or wait for the whole thing to air and then binge it if they still kind of liked it.
  • Think about the series you'd consider your favorites or ones you've viewed multiple times, pull up their wikipedia article and skim the genres/categories it falls under to curate your list from there, looking at the Reception tab as well. It may also help by googling "what anime is similar to [Name of anime you enjoyed]" if you haven't already. Not quick but it would beat wasting hours on a subpar anime you didn't enjoy much.
  • Try searching under the Seinen category and pay less attention to shonen overall. The seinen demographic is generally aimed at older audiences. However, it also has its fair share of stinkers so the only thing I could say is to be shrewd and check the reception tabs on their wikipedia articles (or read multiple spoiler-free review posts and gather a quick impression of whether you'll like it). 
     ========
As for me, I've got quite a bunch of stuff I'm gradually watching:

Anime: Higurashi Gou, Bleach (im on season 4), Magical Girl Site (yes it's edgy and not good, I'm mostly watching out of curiosity), Magical Girl Raising Project (very good first episode to me, will keep watching), Serial Experiments Lain rewatch, Fullmetal Alchemist 2003

Manga: Death Note (read the ending and the one shots last night but not the whole og story), and Higurashi Matsuribayashi-hen.

Or just ask me for hella good recs B) jk

------

Right now I'm watching like 15+ ongoing shows, some of them being SnK Final season, Re:Zero, Wonder Egg Priority, Sk8

Way of the Househusband since it just came out on Netflix. The animation takes some getting used to (like a motion comic?) but the voice acting is great imo so I'm gonna keep watching it anyway

Yasuke, the Netflix Anime.

It was pretty disappointing, and didn't like the mechs and magic and stuff coming out of nowhere. Gues Afro Samurai continues to be the best black anime.

Realized that I posted it in the wrong thread :joy: Here's the animes I've watched.

Megalo Box Season 2

To Your Eternity 

Boruto

SSSS Gridman Season 2

Lots of strong animes this season around

Currently reading Naruto. I'm at Chapter 343.

Binge-reading this series had been a blast. I enjoyed all the characters so far.

Except for Danzo and Kiba. They suck :joy:

Caught up on 2 episodes of Summertime Rendering!!
It's so good I am having trouble not to instantly jump on the already finished manga!

Its a mysterny anime about a small town village, with DEATH AND LOOPS It's like its written for me LOLOL + production quality of the show is amazing too!

So if you like Higurashi type of series, do check it out!

Somehow, I ran into a sports manga called Blue Lock. Normally, I wouldn't give sports-related comics a time of day, but for some reason, it caught my attention. We'll see how long I'd last.

Also up to date with Blood on the Tracks! A pretty chilling manga, I'll say.

Aside from Toonami as always been working my way through Fruits Basket and Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. Both great in different ways.

Back
Top Bottom