The Forest of Memphis

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dark Gunner groaned from being picked up, the dark cat Angela pawing at his face to try and make him respond, to elicit nothing. Hearing being asked for his name, he managed to spit out a simple groan.

"Guh, gu-...h"

"Hah... you're really startin' to annoy me! You should be grateful I haven't gutted you and your buddies already." Eleanor dug her steel-toed boots into the soil before swiftly kicking Envy in the abdomen. "Get lost!"

"You didn't have to do that..." Olivia sweated.

"Don't forget what these people have done all this time. I ain't some merciful pacifist like you, kid." Eleanor gripped her kukri blade in her free hand as she started walking forward. "Let's get in there and clean house!"

"Hmph, I'm not a kid." Olivia stuck out her tongue at Eleanor's back before following after her.

"This place's energy is cursed... whatever has gone on in there... must have been of the forbidden arts," Capricorn remarked, which caught Olivia's attention.

"Your name is Guh-Guh? Must be another language... Errm, I guess your kitty follows me until you get back up on your feet?" Blazrin shrugged his shoulders before heading over to Eleanor and Olivia to overheard their conversation and following them into the dungeon. 

"Don't you worry 'bout Elilinor, she's a mix of sweet and sour. She ain't such a big bully once you get to know her." Blazrin chuckled, keeping Gunner steady over his shoulder. "But all jokes aside, we should really save all the girls here. Kinda makes me sick to think what they might have went through y'know?"

====

Aquario struggled continuously to get up but his lack of power and energy refused to let him do so. His anger was clear as he let out a scream that echoed through the halls. His scream was not that of anger, but pain from losing his student.

Envy coughed out blood as Eleanor kicked him. “You wretched bitch… I shall soiled the grass with your blood!” He could not move after that and simply passed out.

Mecha Samurai turn to Blazrin. “It’s Dark Gunner… when we get back, we should examine your hearing to see if they are up to spare in terms of listening skills. Anyways, there seems to be the entrance right here. Be weary, there could be more of these... Cult lurking in the shadows. Dropping any guard will cost you your life.” He turns to Capricorn. “A summoning… never though I see one in person… but what do you means forbidden arts?” Mecha Samurai pressed several buttons on his right arm, detecting multiple red dots in the ruined palace they were going to enter, indicating signs of life.

While the Dark Gunner remained incapacitated, Angela looked around at the rest, observing them, recording them. Floating next to Blazrin because he was holding her master, the cat acting docile.

"I'm not sure how to explain it to a being that isn't a celestial spirit, but it gives off a different wavelength compared to modern magic..." Capricorn trailed off. "There used to be magic that is considered ancient by human standards, but for perhaps more than several centuries ago, humans forbade its uses because of how destructive these arts can be. You mentioned that this child's body has two different energies in one body, yes? That certainly isn't natural for a human. Much less a child."

"Ooh, the more I think about it, the more nervous I get." Olivia said worriedly. "I'm going to have a lot to report back to the King about..."

"Well, I wouldn't be surprised that they did weird magic with creepy juju sticks or something." Eleanor said. "Guess we'll have to snoop around and see what there is. At least, that's if she stays knocked out." She jerked her head to the Queen held by her arm.

“She should be stay knocked out for a few hours. Unless something expected happens as we explored this rigid palace.” Mecha assured Eleanor that she would not pose a trouble for a while. “I assumed you’re the Dark Gunner’s company… make sure you stand by our side.” He told Angela.

Mecha Samurai nodded to Capricorn’s question. “It is quite impossible for a mortal to house multiple souls—it’s illogical. Even in the pact system, the two souls are merged into a single entity.” Mecha Samurai observed the Queen, taking hold of a young girl’s body. “Ancient magic… you suspect that these Cults of the Watchers used such a thing?” He asked. 

As they grow closer to the palace, there was a pathway—it was filled with plant life, but the flowers seemingly void of colors. The scent became strong, as they grow closer, smelling like rotten corpses.

"Aw man, this place smells worse and worse the closer we get!" Blazrin plugged his nose. "Can't we send Mecha? I doubt he can smell this stuff..." 

Despite all of his whining, Blazrin followed through with the group, and keeping Gunner protected on his shoulder.

====

Aquario continued to struggle through many steps and stairs until he pushed through the main entrance with a loud thud. For the first time in a while, he saw the sun shine down upon his body. All the effort left him almost entirely out of energy and barely able to move. At best, he was only able to crawl, but the grass felt nice and soft on his face. 

Magiana... 

"It ought to be against the law of nature to allow two different souls to occupy one vessel... it goes against the natural order of things. One can only conclude such a thing is performed with a forbidden ritual." Capricorn replied.

"I think I'm gonna barf..." Eleanor wrinkled her nose and pinched it shut, choosing to breathe through her mouth. "And let him get all the credit if he has to fight people off!? As if!" 

Olivia stuck her hand out to signal the others to quiet, hearing a loud and sudden noise. "We aren't alone after all..." She whispered cautiously.

Mecha drew his blade after Oliva’s signal for them to be quiet. A loud thud was hear, seeing the main entrance opened, but Mecha wastes no time readied himself in battle position. “The man is seemingly out of power, but he still exhibits high levels of natural energy within them… similar to the high level guards of the watchers. Do not let your guard down.” Upon seeing the man dropped to the floor and began to crawl, Mecha pushed forward to strike him down.

"Hey, I should fight! After all, I gotta protect these fine ladies~!" Blazrin boasted. "Besides, I think you guys should save your energy for bigger fights ahead."

As Blazrin moved to the mysterious figure on the floor, he gently pushed Mecha out of the way and gripped at his ax. Despite having Gunner on his shoulder, he was still dangerous with one arm. He lifted his ax in the air but stopped almost instantly. He dropped his ax and Gunner to rush to the man crawling on the floor. His eyes widen as he panicked slightly.

"A-Aquario!" Blazrin yelled. "What are you doing here, big brother?!"

"Blazrin..?" Aquario mumbled. "I-I can ask you the same..."

Blazrin turned to the group.

"Hey, a little help here! Please!"

"Brother…?” Mecha was confused as he picked up Gunner. “I was not aware you have a brother, especially someone with high levels of energy, Blarzin.” He approached the downed man. "I don't have my medical box with me at the moment, but are you hurt? What ties do you have with the Cult of the Watchers?" He asked Aquario.

"Brother!" Olivia and Eleanor exclaimed in unison. They were just as shocked as the others were.

"Wait, what's your brother doing here anyway? He don't look like a local from around here." Eleanor scratched her head in confusion, balancing Magiana on her hip. "His clothes are kinda funny."

"They look too pristine to belong to Shina Ania, and too different from what the Cultists were wearing," Olivia observed. "This is so strange." Her celestial spirit summon peeked over her head to peer down at the man, but stayed silent otherwise. "I could check my supply belt and see if I have any healing items, but..." she pulled out a small canteen of water and held it out for Aquario to drink from. "It's just regular water, but it's safer to drink than any streams."

"It's just you? Where's the other girls they got kidnapped here?" Eleanor scanned the area with her gaze, but saw nobody else emerge. She still held Magiana's sleeping body tightly under her other arm, unaware that the Queen is nothing more than a child's borrowed body.

Angela looked to Aquario on the ground, and let out a low pitched moan. The Dark Gunner tilted his head, an energizing sound humming from his clothing. Suddenly he lifted into the air, blue energy surronding him. In a sudden pulse of energy and loud clap, he landed on his feet as an angelic crowd let out a note. Fully active and alert, he looked around and saw Aquario, normally dismissive eyes shifting into an expression of pure rage, but he did nothing other than motion for Angela to come closer to him, and took a few steps back.

"Yeah, he's my brother!" Blazrin said frantically. "W-What happened to you bro?! You look like a total mess!"

Aquario did not reply immediately, taking the canteen of water from Olivia. He chugged the water as if it was the first time and gasped in between breaths. He struggled to move to his feet only to fall back down to his knees. He took a moment to look at the new and familiar faces.

"I was taken here by force..." Aquario grunted. "I was with my student, next thing we know we were jumped by some group. They took us by surprise. When I had awakened, my wand was taken from me and so was my student..." 

As he gazed between the members, he noticed Magiana under Eleanor's arm. He gasped before pointing to her body. 

"Magiana! T-That's her!" 

Blazrin turned to face the unconscious girl. 

"Uhh... your student was trying to kill us earlier."

"Those wretched pests! They... they did this to her."

"Who?" Blazrin said while pulling his older brother to lean on his shoulder. "We've been looking for the folks who did this stuff."

"I don't know exactly... but they have a base and possibly even more victims." Aquario frowned. "But... why did they have to pick Magiana? She's but a child..."

While Blazrin tried to comfort his brother, a loud distant cry was heard in the wind. The area around them grew eerily still for a few moments before a silent wind brushed over the landscape they stood on. The cry echoed for a moment before disappearing with the flowing gusts that returned the area back to normal. For only a moment, the land they stood on remained silent. No harm befell the group but a small lingering sense of nervousness, followed by a small shockwave rocked them. It wasn't enough to push anyone down, however, something was felt.

"What was that..?" Blazrin stared in the direction of Empire State. "Sounds like someone screamed. Whatever it is, it's gone now I guess."

"Yes, I think it would be best if we found a way to remain hidden... who knows when one of those cultists might strike again." Aquario turned to the rest of the group. "I will answer all your questions shortly, please, we must remain out of sight."

Eleanor shuddered at the inhuman noise. "Cripes... I hope it isn't anything those cult guys summoned or something. Being out in the open like this with you guys is prolly a bad idea..." she said. The more she discovered, the more confused she was. What do these guys want with Paradicans anyway? 

"I guess the only real place to hide is to go deeper into the dungeon." Olivia said. "It's probably a better place to be in than anywhere else in this creepy forest."

"Yeah, uh, I'd like to make like a tree and leave. Place is givin' me mega-bad vibes out here." Eleanor said, although she was more nervous about what would happen if Magiana suddenly woke up.

“Negative. Once we secured the victims, then we will take our leave.” Mecha Samurai addressed Aquario’s concern. He senses unusual high levels of energy, but it is too far away for him to determine the identity of this powerful being. “We’ll ask any pressing manners once we accomplished our mission.” He turns to Blazrin. “I’m sure you can take care your brother, and I think this fellow…” He pointed towards Dark Gunner and Angela. “Wants to do something for him.”

Mecha Samurai headed towards the dungeon first to scan the areas for any potential threats that are lurking around. “Just to be up to speed, this student of yours contains the power of an Ancient Queen, residing within her body. If she wakes up, who knows she’ll be your student or the queen bent on destruction.” He continued walking deeper. “So far, no threats, let's moved forward.”

Blazrin nodded to Mecha and made sure to keep close to his older brother, putting an arm around his shoulder to keep him on his feet. 

"I apologize if I startled any of you..." Aquario stated. "I managed to escape the cell they kept me prisoner in. They took my student, Magiana," Aquario jutted a finger to the unconscious girl. "and I guess they turned her into some sort of monster queen, according to you guys. I'm afraid that I do not know where they are keeping the other women, but I can show you to where I was being held. Perhaps it can provide some clues?"

"No way big bro!" Blazrin objected to having his brother getting hurt. "You need to stay somewhere safe!"

"Enough Blazrin, I can handle myself." Aquario scolded. "Besides, your robot friend is correct, you must secure any victims located here... Anyways, we must make haste, time is of most importance." 

Blazrin kept close to his brother, acting the opposite he usually acted around the others. He looked a little more tense than usual and more careful than normal when around his brother, almost as if he was trying to show a more mature side.

"Anyways," Aquario began, "I hope you all are not tired because we have a lot of stairs to go through."

"If we do," Eleanor said bluntly as she walked, annoyed at the prospect of having to walk any further into such a creepy place. "Oh well. At least she's lightweight."

"We don't have any other option but to go deeper into the dungeon anyway." Olivia said. "It's just so strange... if they did that to your student, then where are the other girls? Shouldn't there have been more than just one attacking us if they'd have ended up the same way?"
The spirit she summoned held her silence for the time being and couldn't offer any answer.

"Well, they were calling her the Queen and stuff. Maybe the other girls are hiding somewhere waiting to blast us away with juju magic 'cause they're weak in comparison?" Eleanor asked. "Then again, don't minions usually do whatever their leader does? We only saw guys in those weird robes."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom