Steven Universe

LoopyPanda said:
And she fits the nerd trope to a T. So of course it's got comedy in it. :p I liked her marathoning that love show and thinking that was the only episode. XD

It is a cartoon mainly for younglings so I could understand they wouldn't pass up on it. 

I'm still rooting for the possibility of a previously evil Rose or some crazy thing where she is an imposter or something wacky. XD

Peridot in alien shorts was v cute though I'll admit.

Just the fact that she was built up like she was gonna be the end of the world for them all and turned out to be tiny....and in that same episode didn't know what the toilet was for lol. Hadn't really thought of her as a kind of nerd archetype but it does really fit doesn't it? 
ShineCero said:
I mean, I'll give it that it's quite amusing, but damn, they sure shove that concept of making her a crystal gem that quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if Peridot was still loyal to Yellow Diamond, thus betraying the Crystal Gems at the end. Regardless, it's like making Jasper a good guy because she saw all the "beautiful marine life" with no build up. I suppose the "Log" episode was supposed to covered that, but it still felt rushed.

As for Rose being a villain (or at least, a failure of a hero):

We know that the Gems go to other home worlds and produce more gems to expand their people and empire. Of course, in their eyes, it would be considered "betrayal" to prevent the reproduction of the gem culture. Now, the problem is, (outside the obivous) is that, none of the Crystal Gems, ever actually explained why Rose thinks Earth is worth protecting. In fact, it seems that when she'd met Greg, she'd clearly haven't had a clue on the basic concepts of love and often treat "living beings" on earth as if they're her playthings.

Another thing I noticed that each Pearl is assigned to Diamond and represent them as their color. I can conclude that perhaps Pearls are also assigned to elite gems. Yet, Pearl has no hint of pink whatsoever, being completely white and- added the fact that Jasper refers Pearl as an defective pearl. Perhaps she was a pearl to White Diamond?

The Cluster was a recent thing. As stated by Peridot, there wouldn't be a cluster if it weren't for the rebellion and continue with it's plan. Yet, Rose simply got in the way for reasons unknown, and thus the cluster was brought upon. In fact, Rose had keep many secrets from them (as stated by Garnet and Pearl). I see that she knew about the Cluster but she couldn't do a damn thing about it [Or for the villain's case, she wanted this to happen for another goal..?]. It seems that none of the Crystal Gems didn't know a damn thing about Rose and Peridot clearly brought their emotions to the table that, well she was completely in the right. 

Garnet's first appearance was also strange. Sapphire and Ruby really, really had no reason to be against the Gems from home world. Yet, as soon as they met Rose, they suddenly want to fight against the Gems and protect a planet? I can see Rose is spoon feeding information in order to expand their group (this is along with Pearl, forcing her to revoke her duties and join Rose's side and believe literally every single word she said). And the fact that thousands of gems that died during the rebellion and forced to be fused together (or corrupted and forced to be bubble for all eternity) for practically nothing. 

Basically, Rose never explained why she wanted to protect earth. It's likely that she knew about the cluster, but never did anything about it. She seems to gave the Crystal Gems information that Home World Gems want to do this and that - yet, Crystal Gems literally don't know jack (especially Amethyst).

Interesting take there, very interesting.....who knows, maybe there was some nefarious intent there. 

The general sense I'd tended to get from Rose & Pearl both is that Rose was kind of a non-conformist, the gems as a whole seem to value reason and logic above all, and Rose seeme to act more on emotion than anything else, and that Pearl's lack of a color was sort of symbolic of her non-conformity as well and her unwillingness to be subservient to the colored gems. ALTHOUGH, I will say at this point your theory may hold more weight since as of the second to last of last weeks episode we do see that 2 colors that seemed to represent the 4 matriarchs were white and pink/

I can see that Rose was heavily relying on emotional (with Peridot causally mentioning that Steven wasn't thinking logically about "saving Earth").

I also find it strange that despite many comments from Garnet, Pearl and Amethyst in regards to "Rose loves all life", but never explained "Why".

That's true, I have yet to see any real reason why Rose has interest in protecting a planet with vulnerable creatures from exploitation by Homeworld's cluster. She loves humans and dated Greg, but she had no idea how to really love him. And just seemed detached from how humanity works regardless. Like the chainlink fence around the temple? And she was the only gem to have a human skintone. There's surely a previous form she had before that was all pink?

And I also find it odd that if the rebellion was over for quite some time, how come Rose never took the time to destroy the inactive Kindergarten and investigate further regarding the cluster and lab fusions? Was it because Amethyst never came out in time by then, or was there another reason? If the Crystal Gems thought it was "over", then why wouldn't they destroy all traces of those Kindergarten machines for assurance? There has to be a reason Rose left them alone and never told the gems. 

Garnet just went along with Rose probably because once she became a fusion, she felt like a lost identity. Though I think Rose naturally can sway and gravitate others towards her.

TThere's probably way more darker things the show has barely scraped. Can't wait to see al the dark stuff they have in store.

LoopyPanda said:
That's true, I have yet to see any real reason why Rose has interest in protecting a planet with vulnerable creatures from exploitation by Homeworld's cluster. She loves humans and dated Greg, but she had no idea how to really love him. And just seemed detached from how humanity works regardless. Like the chainlink fence around the temple? And she was the only gem to have a human skintone. There's surely a previous form she had before that was all pink?

And I also find it odd that if the rebellion was over for quite some time, how come Rose never took the time to destroy the inactive Kindergarten and investigate further regarding the cluster and lab fusions? Was it because Amethyst never came out in time by then, or was there another reason? If the Crystal Gems thought it was "over", then why wouldn't they destroy all traces of those Kindergarten machines for assurance? There has to be a reason Rose left them alone and never told the gems. 

Garnet just went along with Rose probably because once she became a fusion, she felt like a lost identity. Though I think Rose naturally can sway and gravitate others towards her.

TThere's probably way more darker things the show has barely scraped. Can't wait to see al the dark stuff they have in store.

Wow, it's been two years since this post. Might as well bump it that you're practically hit the nail on the head with this point :lmao:

It's basically confirmed that Rose (spoiler: Pink Diamond) manipulated Garnet to thinking they need to be together simply based on the fact that she thought that shit was awesome. Which begs another question: Fusion was never a thing? It seems kind of weird that Pink Diamond acted like fusion is such a new concept :think:

Inb4 it just an inconsistency. 

The newest episodes of the Steven Bombs is such a drag. Yes, I understand the concept of expanding character development, but Amethyst should've been covered along with the Ruby episode.

Also, can we talk about the voice acting in SU? I never understand studios that hired their friends with no training in voice-acting. It becomes jarring when they hired an professional voice actor and they're leap and bounds above the cast. 

In relation, Ruby's voice is practically the worst one in the show (and let's extent that to We Bare Bears, where she voices a little Korean girl... and she's still awful). Who's idea was it to make her song despite her lack of experience? Not trying to sound mean but whenever she comes on, I just mute it and watch it in subs.

Ruby is the only voice I don't really like in the show, her singing is not my cup of tea (although perhaps being tonedeaf is characteristic of Rubies? But I don't think they thought that deeply about it)

The Diamonds getting redeemed and White diamond being revealed as presumably be final arc villain, it feels like we took too long to get to this point in the series-- so many episodes in the bombs were wasted answering questions nonody asked and created new ones that wouldn't get answered + townie episodes are what made me lose interest in the show. I do like the concept of White Diamond, but perhaps we would have gotten here two seasons faster if it weren't for so many glaring issues with the storytelling. The Diamonds are what basically get me to check in on SU these days... mostly because they spent way too much time vaguely hinting at their involvement with the story that I was invested enough to keep going.

And even that episode got leaked early. How do these leaks happen so easily? It's almost comical how quickly surprises are spoilt.

Also, I feel like the show has never had an actual villain-- mostly temporary enemies. I think White Diamond will be the first ACTUAL villain, assuming Steven can't Mary Sue his way out of it.

[video=youtube]

A new trailer of Steven Universe: Diamond Days popped up. What ya'll think?

Alright, we just got through Diamond Days and man...

The beginning was decent, but it padded a bit too much. The section with White Diamond was pure and absolute kino, but man, they really, really dropped the ball on her character arc. So much build up, only to end it with a quip :think:

See... personally I didn't really feel as though there was even a whole lot of build up to white diamond, certainly not enough to really justify them making her essentially the final boss of what has basically been the arc of the entire series so far. Yellow had years of build up and blue had a good amount too. White we knew little about until this Steven Bomb and she was apparently the one behind EVERYTHING. What's up with that? 

That said, I actually thought the end aside from White diamond's handling was totally thrilling. I loved all the little anime references and as far as being kind of a wrap for Steven's arc it did well enough. 

I wonder where they can even go from here with the series though?

JamesYTP said:
See... personally I didn't really feel as though there was even a whole lot of build up to white diamond, certainly not enough to really justify them making her essentially the final boss of what has basically been the arc of the entire series so far. Yellow had years of build up and blue had a good amount too. White we knew little about until this Steven Bomb and she was apparently the one behind EVERYTHING. What's up with that? 

That said, I actually thought the end aside from White diamond's handling was totally thrilling. I loved all the little anime references and as far as being kind of a wrap for Steven's arc it did well enough. 

I wonder where they can even go from here with the series though?

Apparently, there's rumors about a Season Six and this is what the focus will be:

Rajax is, apparently a sneeple/incredibly strong sorceress who have created gem race for some reason and then falling asleep before ordering White Diamond to watch over things. Steven dissolves the Gem Empire and she rises again to settle things right in the oncoming season. that’s all there is.

I saw the movie; it was okay, but the best, absolute best moments was Spinel moving around with her stretching powers. I have to say, probably the best animation I ever seen from Cartoon Network so far. Bravo!

I felt like the ending was... lame? The payoff didn't make sense to me, especially since Spinel had huge potential of interacting with Steven and the other gems; building off her relationships and learn to trust again. Yet, they shove her off... disappointing.

Also, Pink Diamond is the worst character in the series. :wagh:

I agree...it actually kinda felt to me (by design perhaps?) like one of those shonen anime movies that come out like a bit after the series is over or between seasons that's a grade or two better than the normal shonen anime movie and might actually be canon but still kinda feels...unsubstantial in the grand scheme of things. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos, The Last: Naruto the Movie and Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale are some examples of what I mean. 

It's a fun side story, I actually liked Spinel as a character a lot too and liked the animation on her an everything. Loved the old timey Disney-esque character design on her too. But ultimately if there is a season 6 it probably will have little to no bearing on it apart from Spinel maybe being in it on occasion and if there isn't I'll probably think of the Diamond Days episodes as the ending more than this. Essentially an afterthought lol. If she at least stayed on Earth it would've meant some change in stat quo if it continues but since she's with the Diamonds it might just be out first look at the new character designs unless there's another time skip.

Another thing that bothers me is how the Diamonds' actions was basically gloss over in this film because now they're so quirky and funny. Jasper's redemption was basically reduce to nothing that goes against her character.

And everything relating to Pink Diamond gets tiring after a while. How many times do we have to sit through villains coming up because of Pink Diamond? Can we have a villain that isn't resolved by talking? :wagh:

I really like how they animated her as those old-timey cartoons. She'd fit perfectly in Cuphead's art style, but she probably would be hard to animate each episode in the show itself the way she is seen in the movie. Knowing she ends up going with the Diamonds because she was Pink's subject rubs me the wrong way though: it's an easy solution but in the grand scheme of things shows that the Diamonds are still not over their unhealthy obsession with Pink. Steven didn't object to it either! He just let it happen...
For Spinel, it seems ok because she's just lonely, but wouldn't it be way more beneficial to have her on Earth? They wouldn't have to make her as animated as in the movie, they could just simplify her stretchy animations. Idk, I feel like there's lost opportunity here that she's just going to live with the Diamonds.

I'm starting to wonder if PD is the unredeemable villain here... that wasn't what we meant Rebecca! :lmao: I really hope we get an interesting villain who ISN'T involved with the Diamond authority in any way, shape or form. Just a genuinely evil one that needs defeating. Not singing or talking them down. I think SU has seen enough sympathetic villains for now.

Heck yeah! It was some of the best animation I ever seen out of Cartoon Network for a long time, and I really like the old-timey cartoon style. They captured that incredibly well, and it doesn’t mash against the current style of the cast.

That’s my biggest gripe about the whole thing. The movie wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great either. It had plenty of good, but a couple of stinkers that brought everything down a bit—and if anything, doesn’t really feels like a film, just an extended episode.
The show never really goes super in-depth about the consequences of the series. The Diamonds were stated to be murderous overlords throughout the series—Blue shattered, Yellow destroyed planets and White basically force everyone to conform to her will. Yet, none of them is addressed and everything in simply begone because, well, it just is. It reminds me SAO where they attempt to humanize a mass murdering creator in the third season… it just doesn’t work.

The fact that the Diamonds had an unhealthy obsession with Pink and Steven enabled that behavior further… doesn’t suit well with me at all. If they do expand that concept in the 6th season, sure, but I have my doubts.

Another thing that bugs me is the whole scythe thing that supposedly reverts them to their original state. How come the Diamonds simply use that instead, well whatever they were doing? It’s clear it wasn’t a recent thing since Bismuth knew about it… so if the Crystal Gems were acting out, how come they weren’t pulling those things out and keep them in line? And I just thought it was kind of convenient that it reverts everything back to their original stage, but emphasis that they still can remember if you do some thing to do so lol. Kind of undermines the entire concept me thinks.

[align=left]Have you guys seen this?

[video=youtube]

Seems like this is the supposed season 6? :think:

Back
Top Bottom