Star Wars Franchise Discussion

ShineCero

The Strongest
ADMINISTRATOR
Pronouns
He/Him
celebrating-star-wars-why-we-love-this-franchise-but-do-you-677523.jpg

Discuss anything related to the Star Wars Franchise!

Movies, Games, Toys, Comics, and Books! Anything is welcomed here!

Let the force guide you!

Looks like next week Thrawn will finally get serious on Rebels...can't wait. 

[video=youtube]

I've seen some of those, kinda lame lol. Anyone seen Rogue One yet on the subject?

I haven't, but Carrie Fisher is confirmed to be dead. Her mother is reported to passed on as well. Damn.

I know, must be rough on the family. Certainly rough on the fandom. To die of a heart attack of all things after losing 50 pounds like a year or two ago really sucks.

Yeah. Carrie Fisher seems like she'd hated working in the Star Wars Franchise since it the weigh-loss kick-started her addiction in the first place. You would think the film makers for A Force Awakens wouldn't repeat the same mistake when they asked her to returned, only to throw her under the bus to losing weight. :think:

I do recall her saying something to the effect of it being difficult to do that in her old age, as far as I know she'd been clean drug wise in recent years but it's hard to say sometimes. That they made her lose weight for the originals when she was in good shape to begin with was pretty fucked up tho

I recently saw Rogue One with some friends on my birthday and I gotta say, I have some mixed feelings with the film.

So first off, its already better than eps 7 in consistency and thats a major plus in my book. Though I say this, with episodes 3 and 4 pretty much already giving tons of foundation for rogue one, this film was a project almost impossible to screw up anyway. I also wanna say that I liked the robot and initially liked Chirrut Îmwe alot(I'll explain later).

!!!!! *SPOILERS* !!!!!

My beef with this film is that until the first use of the death star in the film, the movie was for the most part, forgettable and bland. I had such a hard time caring about what was going on up til that point which was a good 30 minutes into the film. 

Another thing that bother me was the facial CGI. Now while leia's facial CGI was near unnoticble and looked almost natural, Moff Tarkin's looked pretty jarring and took some time to get used to. It was almost like seeing a random video game character thrown into a live action film.

I also felt like they didn't properly build certain characters up through out the movie and thus, they were possibly interesting characters that I had a hard time caring about bcuz they seemed like half developed tag alongs. I won't lie though, the idea of their guaranteed death might have also played a part in this on a subconscious lvl.

Another thing that ate into me was Chirrut Îmwe as a character. If any of you know your EU (Extended Universe) lore, Chirrut Îmwe is basically a knock-off Miraluka, but with non of the cool stuff that makes the race so special. He's a very bare minimum version of them, seeing how he can "feel the force" to an extent that it gives him a form of intuition. This form of intuition aids his blindness and is sort of like the gut feeling Jedi's get from time to time. Now that I've explained all this, lemme explain why seeing him in the movie made me initially excited, but than a little disappointed.

Now for those of you who don't know, Disney went and annexed all the vast star wars lore that was the EU. This made alot of us fans really sad bcuz that means you'll never see the countless races and characters that had appeared in these stories (including the Miraluka). Now you can understand why, when seeing something that resembles a EU race, I end up jumping for joy as I first lay eyes upon it, expecting to see some of the awesomeness I'm assuming is coming. In my mind at that moment, I'm thinking Disney finally had a change of heart and are actually allowing some EU things to come back. I was ecstatic. But then I see Chirrut Îmwe through out the movie til his last moments as he appears to be no more than he was presented as in his introduction part of the film. 

The worst part is I keep having this feeling that Disney knew full well what they were doing because of the way they had kept presenting him during the film. For example, in his last big moment in the film, you see him bravely walking past all the laser blasts that were being sprayed on him. During this whole scene, (If I remember correctly) the force theme or something similar to it was playing as the camera keeps focusing on his staff. When you take a closer look at the staff it sorta looks like the hilt is actually a light saber. The entire time the scene was happening, I thought it was building up to him detaching the handle from the staff and activating it like a cane sword or something and going Jedi on everyone. This of course didn't happen and when the scene was over and you realized no Jedi moment was happening with him, the high of expecting something dies and I feel underwhelmed at what actually happens. Another thing to take note is I'm not the only one who thought the scene was going in this direction, my other friends thought so as well! 

Despite the fact we all heard there wasn't gonna be Jedi in this film, we were still under the impression that there would be anyway (at least Chirrut Îmwe). In fact, we were beginning to think the reason why that rumor was being spread was so the possible Miraluka cameo woulda been a big surprise to the audience. I guess the whole thing with him rubbed me the wrong way because I felt baited through out the film with no reward at the end other than the obligatory Darth Vader scene that, while cool, did not match the expectations I had going into this film in the first 30 minutes.

Wow, this turned into a EU vs Disney rant, sorry about that lol 

This is the second time I geeked out on this forum. I guess I can't help it when it comes to star wars.

Anyway, to generally judge this film, I guess it was alright and some what better than eps 7 to some degree but while this film had more consistency, eps 7 had a lot more flare to it.

I actually came into the film thinking that a star wars film with little to no jedi or force users in general would do fine, but I guess I was wrong. It came out uneventful save a scene here and there. its funny, while eps 1-3 had waaay too much force stuff in their films, this film seems to be in the complete opposite spectrum. I can't help but feel this film was missing SOMETHING. I don't know whether it was character development, The Force, or other wise. All I know is that it came out a little short for me the more I think about it.

But I will end the note by saying this. Would I consider this film worthy enough to place along side my eps 4-6? yeah, sure, while it may not be as good as those films, its good enough to be there. If anything, it was done some what better than eps 5 considering it actually had a conclusion to it rather than something abrupt and unfinished. (Tho I still find eps 5 slightly more entertaining than rogue one)

I feel the same way, except I'm pretty opposite on the facial CGI.

Tarkin, natural.

Leia, WTF why is she here and why does she look nothing like Fisher?

Just an eye of the beholder thing.

And yeah it's better then Ep 7 at least, but they really don't do as much copy n paste.

And Jihro or whatever his name was, seemed more like generic blind force sensative then really Miruklia.

And lastly.

****ing Stormtrooper accuracy. This one the one movie they could avert it. And they didn't. K fends off a dozen Stormtroopers by himself and they can't even hit him while he's standing still! And yet Jyn one shot another K bot earlier in the movie with little to no fanfare as a joke! And even Blaze dosen't die from a DEATHTROOPER, he dies from a grenade one DIDN'T EVEN MANAGE TO THROW! Sure Jihro died, but Callasian or whatever fell onto his back and yet got back up! What's the point of having SPECIAL AWESOME STORMTOOPERS THAT COME WITH A TOY if they can't kill anyone!?

Ya know I kinda thought the same thing Script did to a certain degree, in that I thought Leia looked less like CG than Tarkin, not exactly that she was 100% accurate or that she looked REAL per se (looked more like old footage masked in or something to me only with a different face), apparently with Tarkin they were able to find a prosthetic mask of Peter Cushing that was crafted for him for another film he'd made at the same time and they scanned that to get the model, they didn't have that presumable for Carrie Fisher other than maybe some still of old footage and maybe Fisher herself to work with to try to recreate Leia. It might've just been that we saw a lot more of Tarkin, or just that he moved more and that for some reason tends to give away when it's 3D animated rather than an actual person. I totally loved Vader in it though, it was pretty crazy to see what Vader's like to deal with for an ordinary person. Kinda thought the editing in Rogue One could've been better personally, they picked a lot of odd times to cut from shot to shot and the cuts from scene to scene felt kind of unnatural for a while. 

Kind of agree about the Expanded Universe to some degree as well, although I guess in Disney's defense at this point it's gonna be pretty hard to satisfy Classic EU fans since when they have incorporated elements of it into the new canon like putting Thrawn in Rebels, putting Darth Bane in The Clone Wars as a force ghost or what have you a lot of EU fans will often get mad at that too as the alleged reason they did the soft reboot was to give themselves more creative freedom or whatever and then they go and do that (or in some cases kinda rip it off *cough Kylo Ren cough*). Kinda wish they'd just at least tie the loose ends they left with the EU myself personally and do whatever they want with the new canon. Not really familiar with Miraluka though, what did they appear in specifically? One thing about TFA and R1 I thought kinda weird was they didn't really incorporate too many species that are even still canon apart from Chewbacca. But I mean, ya never see any Twi'leks running around in the backgrounds or any Sullustans or Biths or Nemodians or Gungans or anything in these new movies. 

I more or less agree with the consensus on Rogue One though, the end was amazing but the rest....eh. Also calling it right now, Gareth Edwards is gonna be hollywood's next Zack Snyder, he did a so so job with Godzilla, a pretty bad job with this (Tony Gilroy actually took over the directing job for the reshoots, which included the last third of the film mainly) but both made a ton of money so he'll be around for a LONG time making movies that nobody likes but still end up making money lol.

Well new trailer out. Last Jedi. Seemed... More, fan waking about the Rebellion despite losing 90% of the lore of the Rebellion and the New Republic thanks to Disney (I want my damn E-Wings and K-Wings alright. And MC90s.)

I have compiled a list of Mark Hamill (and two Harrison Ford) interview clips I found across the internet that provide entertainment, fuel for Force Awakens hate, and Mark Hamill shifting inbetween normal voice, Joker voice, and Luke voice.

I've seen a lot of those vids, honestly I kinda feel as though we can't infer a lot about the new movie from that. I think they were counting on getting some hype over Luke actually saying something, which is something I was a little curious about. Kinda thought they might ask Mark Hamill to do a voice or something rather than use his normal speaking voice since he sounds very different now being really old and all.

Indeed, Mark Hamill certainly belongs on the mount rushmore of voice actors :p.

Looks like the Last Jedi is coming out to DvD and other digital release. What are your thoughts of the film after some time passed? Planning on watching it later on this week.

You need to watch it with an open mind to get a true experience. If you go into the movie constantly thinking about what Hamill’s said about the film, you’ll hate it just because he didn’t like it. It’s nof w perfect film, but it’s worth experiencing for any Star Wars fan without hatred.

Grey Star said:
You need to watch it with an open mind to get a true experience. If you go into the movie constantly thinking about what Hamill’s said about the film, you’ll hate it just because he didn’t like it. It’s nof w perfect film, but it’s worth experiencing for any Star Wars fan without hatred.

To be perfectly honest. The Last Jedi was decent enough. It wasn't as bad as the original films in term of storytelling but that's nothing to write home about upon this series. Star Wars film series as a whole is a dreadful experience that often be place on a pedestal by a vocal minority. I think the only time a Star Wars content was good (excluding the comic because I only read a few of them and played that one Star Wars Force(?) game on the PS2) was the CGI Cartoon that appeared on Cartoon Network. 

So I came into watching Last Jedi and thought, "well, that was decent" and that was it. The usages of the forces doing random stuff is really no different than Force Lightning appearing out of nowhere until 10 minutes left of the film. 

All and all, Star Wars is a series of wasted potential that never truly capitalized the concept of sci-fi setting to the fullest. And from looking at other films that have a similar setting, there still tons and tons of wasted potential, saved the animated films, series or live action series (most of the time anyways).

It was a fine movie and like I said, for the fans. I wouldn’t want someone not already invested to waste their time with the movie, they simply wouldn’t enjoy it. The only thing that makes Star Wars films worth watching, outside of being a fan of the battle and duel sequences, is to understand the old EU. In fact, the only reason Star Wars is so loved by the majority of the non-casual fans is because of great works in the EU that outstrip the original movies. The series was never great, it was only properly timed and has more or less sustained itself more on marketing than exceptional quality. Except of course, now with Solo they failed on their own strength, properly timing a movie’s production and release to fit the market.

I disagree however, that Star Wars does not capitalize on the concept of science fiction. Because it’s not science fiction at all. It does somewhat examine the effects of technology like lightsabers, planet killing battle stations, and droid armies, but it has never really cared to fully explore them in the movies. Instead it focuses on messiah stories, a hero rising from nothing but poverty and failed aspirations to save the galaxy out of a selfless lack of reasoning in the case of Luke, out of a jealous and prideful desire for Anakin, and... Rey exists. She does things. The reason I believe is because Star Wars is more or less divorced from it’s setting when it comes to the way the story is written. It’s a fantasy story set in space with space characters but not space stories. So to call it sci-fi, to even consider it, is laughably over stating the intents of the creator.

Grey Star said:
It was a fine movie and like I said, for the fans. I wouldn’t want someone not already invested to waste their time with the movie, they simply wouldn’t enjoy it. The only thing that makes Star Wars films worth watching, outside of being a fan of the battle and duel sequences, is to understand the old EU. In fact, the only reason Star Wars is so loved by the majority of the non-casual fans is because of great works in the EU that outstrip the original movies. The series was never great, it was only properly timed and has more or less sustained itself more on marketing than exceptional quality. Except of course, now with Solo they failed on their own strength, properly timing a movie’s production and release to fit the market.

I disagree however, that Star Wars does not capitalize on the concept of science fiction. Because it’s not science fiction at all. It does somewhat examine the effects of technology like lightsabers, planet killing battle stations, and droid armies, but it has never really cared to fully explore them in the movies. Instead it focuses on messiah stories, a hero rising from nothing but poverty and failed aspirations to save the galaxy out of a selfless lack of reasoning in the case of Luke, out of a jealous and prideful desire for Anakin, and... Rey exists. She does things. The reason I believe is because Star Wars is more or less divorced from it’s setting when it comes to the way the story is written. It’s a fantasy story set in space with space characters but not space stories. So to call it sci-fi, to even consider it, is laughably over stating the intents of the creator.

I might've been a bit harsh upon calling it a dreadful experience (it wasn't a totally shit show, just a tad underwhelming), but you are on point that the timing of the film greatly helped it. If Solo had been pushed for release during the winter months and not right after Infinity War and battling against other big movies, like Jurassic World and Deadpool, it might've flare better. Although it would probably sunk in China since it seems that they're not into Star Wars as much as the US.

You're definitely right and I'll withdraw that statement massively. It's technically a space opera (or space fantasy?). I often lumped all space adventures into the Sci-Fi category, which as you said, greatly overstating and complicated the intent of the film. :wagh: That's a major OOPS on my part.  

Still, I was confused that people were that up in arms with how Last Jedi played out among the fandom, which sparks to me is that perhaps, Star Wars is not a franchise that can capitalized into the market well with the people. :think:

Back
Top Bottom