Powerpuffs Girl [2016]

ShineCero

The Strongest
ADMINISTRATOR
Pronouns
He/Him
hqdefault.jpg

The 2016 reboot of the original 1998 series. So... now that it has an handful of episodes so far.. what do you guys think about this?​

Completely agreed. The first episode was "okay". I thought it was simply just starting things off. Now, it literally become randomized as Teen Titans Go! with various of stupid plots and musical, along with tumblr shit invested into it. Fighting is pretty much a afterthought and they aren't being what they should be "Powerpuff Girls". No wonder Craig trashed the show on twitter and was against the reboot lol

Seriously, PPG is nothing more than invested memes that shouldn't even be near from one another, in my personal opinion. We already thought We Bare Bears (which is a quality show imo), we certainly don't need another one.

Grey Star said:
I've heard We Bare Bears are hilarious. I haven't heard that about this show. I wonder if PPGZ is better.

Dude, I would rather watch PPGZ than PPG  :pls:

They should just stop trying to reboot old classics. Some of the stuff they have on there that are new ideas are okay. Steven Universe and the like are great, but rebooting old cartoons in the bright flat color schemes with the overuse of memes is cringe worthy.

Quinx said:
They should just stop trying to reboot old classics. Some of the stuff they have on there that are new ideas are okay. Steven Universe and the like are great, but rebooting old cartoons in the bright flat color schemes with the overuse of memes is cringe worthy.

And add other names so that way we don't have to google "1998" or such because the only stuff we'll get is cringey 2016 reboots.

Quinx said:

Right? They should have stop the moment Craig didn't want the franchise to be rebooted. Obviously without his input, the show dramatically went down. I think the cringest episode so far is it's crossover with Teen Titans Go

Hm, I probably have a somewhat unusual opinion here but I think it's.....okay. It felt kinda messy for a long time for sure, didn't quite want to be the first series but wasn't quite sure what IT wanted to be either, but I think it's really kind of found something the last few episodes. Thought that second Man Boy episode in particular was pretty fun :p.

The first couple of episodes weren't bad at all to me, but I feel like the more I watched, the worse it would get? I think the worst episode for me was the where the villain was literally a Panda who made everyone act like ...they were on something. Also, the twerking scene. Biggest WTF moment I've had in a WHILE.

I may as well point out how watered down the final product is compared to the storyboarding:
0a14d56a679260eb25b351cc09ff996f5d435318_hq.jpg

33b0d31174b3fcb604b3225180d15e30fe559f2a_hq.jpg

b43.png

compared to 1998:
b4oSE.jpg

a1c7f47f4efa67a58d9431de8d90e082.jpg

There really shouldn't be an excuse to make the final product less emotive/expressive than the storyboarding. It feels like they try very hard to keep the girls in a 'position' where you could just copy/paste limbs or the body entirely without much effort. The older one feels like their movements are much more dynamic (and the opening of the 2016 show does show fluid movement), yet in the episodes now, their action poses come off as stiff and rigid to me.

Along with this grievance, I don't like how they chose the "pupils show expression" route with the girls, let alone that I feel like they have a neutral expression for a good chunk of the episode's time. 

Oh, and side note; there's a reason the original avoided doing side-views of the Powerpuffs.
princess-lip-kiss.jpg
Fish-face syndrome occurs.

I also wish they didn't reduce Blossom's character into "I LOVE STAPLERS AND BINDERS" either. The Obsessed and Organized trope is overused and pretty annoying to me, I don't find it very endearing the way they make it. And less sibling-bickering, more fights, pls. 

The only episode I enjoyed recently was the one with Princess Morebucks, but even then the plot for that was pretty contrived.

Even though they insist this reboot is more of a continuation, there's a lot of potential that they simply haven't taken advantage of. Allegro the Panda is probably THE WORST villain I've ever seen. probably more of a creep than an evil villain

It's not the worst show I've ever seen, but it isn't very exciting to watch nor do I feel like there is anything important for some eps, like they just needed to pump out something for ratings. It's alright on a good day. It's not the only show to have done the "We referenced internet memes, please like our show" episode either; We Bare Bears had a Meme Audition episode. The reboot doesn't feel like they put effort into making it match up to its predecessor-- it feels like a rebranded cash grab (which is what I think TTG stands at currently, and they essentially have made it clear they don't care if the original show was better and that their version doesn't need to fix its self-aware problems)

until I see some worthy action going on, I let the show run as white noise while I wait for something else to come on. Some epsiodes have grabbed my attention, but the rest make me shrug and skip it. And I was actually really excited for this reboot-- I want to like it, but it's been making that difficult to accomplish.

Agreed that it's not the "worst show", that honor goes to Teen Titans Go or the recent Johnny Test seasons. It's more on the fact that, it devolved into some weak continuation of a series. Hell, I wouldn't even mind it at much if it was simply another cartoon, rather than Powerpuff Girls.

Well, I would agree that the animation has it's problems at times for sure. I don't necessarily think it's a lack of effort so much as it is that they haven't quite figured out what they're supposed to do with them yet or how to animate it. I mean, the action scenes in most series Cartoon Network Studios series now are, to put is nicely, VERY different from the ones from the ones 10-15 years ago and they seem to have a different general set of sensibilities. The original PPG had a pretty interesting technique when it came to that where it was like 90% follow through, the actual punch or hit wasn't even always shown but the impact was what sold the thing. Take something more current like Steven Universe or something now that they do for example and the emphasis is actually opposite, they'll put the bulk of their efforts making a nice fluid strike but the follow through is usually not much. But I think they are beginning to figure it out, this clip for example: [video=youtube]

With regard to the storyboarding, looks more like they just straight up changed their minds about what they wanted to do there sometime between storyboarding and animating. The gag in the actual episode was more a "WTF" moment since the bull seemed sort of normal there, from the storyboard it looked like chances are they were supposed to be generally afraid of it.

Back
Top Bottom