My work is being featured on Tokyopop's youtube channel

scriptweaver

Blue Jacket
Website
www.youtube.com
My newest review (or rather digest-review) is currently being featured on Tokyopop's youtube channel. (Tokyopop was a major manga distributor for Americans back in the days of Borders and the early 2000's)

This video is on a classic anime called Angel's Egg.

Be sure to check it out! Hope you like it!

Congrats on being featured on Tokyopop!

Interesting review. I've never heard of Angel's Egg, but based on your observation and examination, it sounds like a pretty engaging story with beautiful music and art-style. I'll definitely check that out. I chuckled at the "All-Star" team, because it definitely sounds like collection of talent people onto the project.

Congrats on the feature! You did a great job on the review! :D

Angel's Egg seems to be a mix of some of the greatest stuff from the 90s and early 2000s, just as you said in the review. People who are known for their work on Ghost in the Shell, Final Fantasy or Evangelion helped creating this. It definitely got me interested.

Tokyopop is actually still a big anime/manga publisher here in Germany. I didn't know that their publishing business in the US has been shut down(?).

From my understanding, Tokyopop in america essentially went into a sort of coma in 2011 after losing so many of their licenses and their 33% majority customer (Borders bookstores, who went bankrupted and owed Tokyopop a lot of money).

They recently resurfaced and are trying to rebuild themselves from the grounds up it seems.

Btw, thanks so much for all the support you guys! Its nice to get recognized for the effort I put in stuff. Hopefully this Tokyopop thing serves as a opportunity for bigger stuff. It was a fun little project.

I've never heard of Angel's Egg either, and I always wanted to see a story told with minimal word properly. From what you said in the review it seems to check out it plays the Show Not Tell through the power of animation well.

And congrats on getting featured on the Tokyopop channel! Great moves, keep it up. B)

I have Fruits Basket and Mew Mew tokyopop manga. I have seen significantly less Tokyopop published manga here in my area. Much of it now is just Viz media among other names depending on the series. I never really thought about its status in publishing.

scriptweaver said:
From my understanding, Tokyopop in america essentially went into a sort of coma in 2011 after losing so many of their licenses and their 33% majority customer (Borders bookstores, who went bankrupted and owed Tokyopop a lot of money).

They recently resurfaced and are trying to rebuild themselves from the grounds up it seems.

Btw, thanks so much for all the support you guys! Its nice to get recognized for the effort I put in stuff. Hopefully this Tokyopop thing serves as a opportunity for bigger stuff. It was a fun little project.

No problem! I hope you get book for more stuff in the future. :thumbs:

Huh. I remember seeing Tokyopop was quite popular during the early 2000s, but they sort of dropped off the face of the earth. Are they still in the english-translation of mangas business?

ShineCero said:
scriptweaver said:

No problem! I hope you get book for more stuff in the future. :thumbs:

Huh. I remember seeing Tokyopop was quite popular during the early 2000s, but they sort of dropped off the face of the earth. Are they still in the english-translation of mangas business?

Yeah, but they lost alot of their old licenses, so it'll be a while before they really get back into motion. The most recent manga job they got on their hands so far is for a manga of Disney's Alice and Wonderland.

I know this message isn't new thread worthy, so I'll put it here. The same video I've had featured on Tokyopop's channel will also be uploaded onto my own channel. If you wish to check it out, here's the link: 

Holy crap that's cool! Congratulations! Not just anyone can say Tokyopop featured them, or anyone in the anime/manga biz.  I haven't actually seen Angel's Egg before, one of those things I've been meaning to check out for a while. Actually, I don't think I've seen any of Oshii's work outside of the Ghost in the Shell franchise.

JamesYTP said:
Holy crap that's cool! Congratulations! Not just anyone can say Tokyopop featured them, or anyone in the anime/manga biz.  I haven't actually seen Angel's Egg before, one of those things I've been meaning to check out for a while. Actually, I don't think I've seen any of Oshii's work outside of the Ghost in the Shell franchise.

yeah man, definitely check it out, its a pretty unique experience. Its only a hour long I think. Also, while your at it, after you finish the movie, be sure to check out my analysis, it's the first new vid I've made in a while and its kickin'

Also on the Tokyopop thing. yeah its pretty cool and it's a shame it'll probably be a one time thing (I'd like to work with them again in the future). The main reason it happened was because both me and Stu (The owner of Tokyopop), just happen to both be big Angel Egg fans and wanted to spread Angel's egg's influence.

JamesYTP said:

I'm actually surprised you didn't come across the initial post sooner, lol

Back
Top Bottom