James' Video Gallery

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]So, a bit on this project. This was a 9 month project,my big one before graduating school and by far my most exhausting effort. I finished it in May but intended to submit it to some film festivals but due to some of the content in it having a degree of resemblance to an unfortunate but fairly well publicized incident a person close to me had gone through and my fear that any press that could connect me to it could damage my future career prospects I decided to pull it and am mulling what to do with it now, it can't be nothing, I put WAY to much into it. So I included clips of it in my demo reel and am sharing the whole piece here exclusively since a lot of the people here have been watching my work for a LONG time now. So hope you guys enjoy! :) [/font]

[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][video=youtube]

Hi James! Welcome back! 

I know nothing of animation, but man, you did a great job! How long did it took you to do this? That ending was dark lmao. So much for the "Hero Hound", but he's worry about the truck (and ended up smashing into it....!). :lmao:

Thanks, so to answer your question I worked on this over the course of 9 months. I started work on it late in August of 2018 and finished it up early in May. Not sure what kind of hour count we're talking about but I spent at least 1 all nighter a week on it from January to May over 15 weeks, so I'd guesstimate between 60-80 hours during that span. I think more went into preproduction than necessary for a 1 man project so it could've gone faster and I've  learned a lot of shortcut since though, so my next probably won't take that long

JamesYTP said:
Thanks, so to answer your question I worked on this over the course of 9 months. I started work on it late in August of 2018 and finished it up early in May. Not sure what kind of hour count we're talking about but I spent at least 1 all nighter a week on it from January to May over 15 weeks, so I'd guesstimate between 60-80 hours during that span. I think more went into preproduction than necessary for a 1 man project so it could've gone faster and I've  learned a lot of shortcut since though, so my next probably won't take that long

Wow! That's a lot of time and effort, especially for one person doing the animation process. I remember trying to get into animation, but the work load was insane. Can't wait for your next project!

Did you have fun animating this short? Were there bumps, frustration or anything in the road of creating this clip? :thinking:

This looks adorable! That's a lot of time you put into it, I probably would have ripped my hair. xDD I have always wanted to figure out how to add noise and animation into a video. It looks great! Also, I'm glad you care about us here on the forum, brings a tear to my eye. ;~;

What were the hardest parts of making this video? I assume there might have been many but what really stood out as super frustrating?

~ Z ~ said:
This looks adorable! That's a lot of time you put into it, I probably would have ripped my hair. xDD I have always wanted to figure out how to add noise and animation into a video. It looks great! Also, I'm glad you care about us here on the forum, brings a tear to my eye. ;~;

What were the hardest parts of making this video? I assume there might have been many but what really stood out as super frustrating?

Super late reply, been ultra busy. But hardest parts....well a lot of this was hand drawn pencil test animation and the scanner I was using to get them on my computer to color them took a dump. When I was doing the backgrounds the hard drive on my computer the hard drive decided to take a dump on me too. I saved all my finished video and image files but the project files were lost which made the focus shift shot very difficult, had to meticulously cut around the fence and other rounded edges. I wanted some somple animation in the background but couldn't get it because of that. Had a debilitating stomach virus over my winter break and wasn't able to work much on it so I as behind by a month the whole course of the production. Adding the bit of texture to the arsonist's hair proved to be a mistake because it was  minor detail nobody seemed to notice that I had to add in every time. Animating the shot where he was running away took an eternity as a result, longer than like the whole second half of it maybe. The professor gave me bad feedback the whole time saying "these shots shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 seconds you're gonna lose the audience" the whole time, which I thankfully ignored because on the handful of shots I followed it on she was like "this goes by WAY too fast, I can't tell what's going on" with like a week left to finish. Animating a quadruped was supposed to be hard, took me a couple tries but I did it. So.....yeah....thanks for asking lol

Damn! Must've been hell!

Did you had to get a computer specifically to handle these kind of animations, or just any computer is duable?

Late reply again lol. Well, the computer I finished it on was actually a downgrade over the one I was using, for this particular project (10 years old at the time of finishing it) I didn't need an especially fancy computer. But for 3D animation you need something a lot better and certain kinds of software  like After Effects that can make life easier and improve your project in various ways you need something better than that for (which I used on my current project)

Ah, I see. That makes sense haha. I did try a little animation project on my own (to be fair, it like a couple of seconds at best with few frames), and man, it’s definitely an exhausting work just to make it appears moving around. Can’t even imagine the hours you poured into :lmao:

Are you working on any future animated projects?

Yeah, I have 1 shot to go to finish my next actually. Then it's just to add sound

Back
Top Bottom