Hideo Kojima signs deal with Sony

ShineCero

The Strongest
ADMINISTRATOR
Pronouns
He/Him
Haven't seen a thread made about this yet, so here you go. What are your guys thought of the matter?

Sony reached a deal with Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima to host the first game from his new independent studio exclusively on PlayStation 4.

In a statement released Wednesday, Sony Computer Entertainment's President and Global CEO, Andrew House, says Kojima Productions will develop its first game for the PS4. No details were provided on the type of game Kojima will develop or a release date.

"Hideo Kojima has been a huge part of that history, and we are therefore delighted that he has chosen to bring his brand new project to life in partnership with PlayStation," said House in a statement.

On Tuesday, a report from Japanese outlet Nikkei said Kojima parted ways with longtime publisher Konami as of December 15, ending several months of speculation on the designer's role with the company.

"I will be taking on a new challenge by establishing my own independent studio," said Kojima in a statement. "I am thrilled to be able to embark on this journey with PlayStation, who I have continued to work with all these past years."

Rumors about Kojima's future at Konami have been swirling since March, following reports of a power struggle between the designer and publisher. During that time, credits reading "A Hideo Kojima Game" were removed from the title Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, which launched in September. Links to his studio at Konami redirected to a main hub for the Metal Gear series.

In a statement released in March, Konami said they will continue to publish Metal Gear games, seeking designers to "lead the development."

[align=center][video=youtube]

Well, being an upstart studio they probably need the money to get themselves started and Sony is probably willing to dole out serious cash for a game like that. So....sorry Xbox guys? lol

I'm looking forward to the game(s) that come out of this partnership. The Metal Gear series is iconic, so I hope that we can expect greatness from Kojima's new studio. It's a also a very good deal for Sony because they can use this deal as another selling point for the Playstation systems. Playstation exclusives developed by Kojima Productions will most likely sell well just because of the name "Kojima" and they might lead some gamers to switch to Playstation.

But all this is still far off, I don't expect them to release a game before 2018.

Hopefully he will be able to re-release spiritual successors of the games Konami canceled.

Assuming they won't try to rag on him with legal stuff like Capcom did with Inafune trying to launch Mighty No. 9.

Kojima could use a clean slate after being trapped in Konami's basement at any rate.

SPINAL said:
Hopefully he will be able to re-release spiritual successors of the games Konami canceled.

Konami owns these games. He would have to make something "new". As long as Konami can't relate these new games to the ones they own it's gonna be fine from a legal point of view.

Tadashi said:
SPINAL said:

Konami owns these games. He would have to make something "new". As long as Konami can't relate these new games to the ones they own it's gonna be fine from a legal point of view.

That's what I mean by "spiritual successor". Just like Mighty No. nine is a spiritual successor to mega man. Its not named mega man yet the "spirit" of the original series can be felt within the game. These are the usual legal means of continuing these games.

im glad he jumped ship before konami took him with them. its a shame we probably wont see another good MGS game, but hey he started his own company and works for sony now. not to mention that hes already working on a new project which im pretty hyped about. 

also that new kojima emblem is pretty BA 

kjp-1450248419888_540h.jpg

As Luxtra said, we probably won't be seeing a new game for a while. Though I can imagine it would be a completely new game rather than similar to that of Metal Gear.

Back
Top Bottom