Digimon Adventure Tri

Yeah. That's weird how Japanese Animation is done before voices are being recorded. Why is that? :think:

I understand it's because it takes longer to work animation around a voice actor's performance than it takes to work a voice actor's performance around an animation.

Weird. I remember that Ms. Nozawa criticized Toei Animation for recording voice lines after finished off the animation lol.

Well, anyways. Digimon Adventure Tri is looking like another disastrous turn for the fifth movie... 

Now that I'm thinking about it, they are not going to show any new Digimons into the series? Meicoomon is the only one we will be seeing throughout this film series?

I recommend watching it yourself to make a better judgment, but personally, it's bad. Without even considering the characters and the plot, the premise of turning this into a film series relatively hurts the overall content. Certain scenes are rushed out the door in favor of a nonsensical gag or fanservice or it's drag out to hell with long-winded transformation with lots of standing around. Aside from the Digimon transformations, the style is at best subpar and the animation isn't that much to walk home about. There are times where they could have easily taken the time to explain certain things or showcase elements for the things they brought to the table, only to be glossed over or outright ignore for a while. 

The plot is not even engaging, at all. People like to make a fuss about Dragon Ball Super and I'm one of the vocal critics of certain aspects in Super, but at least they can be fun, silly or even cool. Digimon Tri fails to even deliver. Characters seemed to drop their development they had in the previous series and thus, we have to see them developed once again in a different scenario. For example, for some reason, Taichi seemed to developed some characteristic that he realized that Digimon is dangerous, refused to do anything about it when a Digimon was destroying everything, even at the expense of their friends' lives, something he already got over in the midway of Adventure 01.

New characters introduced in this series is pretty lackluster. I do not care about the "older" government officials nor the fact that they were the original digidestined (which seem pretty sure considering the Adventure 02). And the 02 kids are never mentioned by any of the main cast except for Takeru, as if they do not even exist anymore and they never addressed their whereabouts (especially when they flat out rebooted the digital world). Meiko, the suddenly missing digidestined for the original crew, was so shoehorned in the plot that I could probably make an entire essay of which her character simply does not work. They should have simply followed up of what 02 did and took it from there, regardless of the notorious working environment back then, but instead, they went with the dumbest route they can do.

There are other things that are just plain dumb, such as Sora and Yamato are not dating and seem to have an interest in Taichi, even though they were together in the previous series. Sora being licked by Gemmai for some reason, battles are lackluster because they do not get enough screentime, the Digimon themselves are literal children and borderline irritating to watch certain segments of the film when they speak a whole lot, saying the utmost dumbest things. Agumon definitely took the route of an idiot more larger than the previous series had done.

All and all, the series is pretty disappointing in my opinion. Once again, I urge you take a look at yourself and place your own judgments but lowered your expectations.

6th and final part has already come out.. thoughts?

Imo it was a pretty average series.. thanks to toei the animation stayed subpar and the fanservicr shots of certain digimons were super awkward and weird and ugh..so weird. But i cant help but like Digimon Tri because of the nostalgia factor.  :katprone:

Also I heard that there will be another animation project starting after this but i didnt look up info about it yet.

Where did you saw the episodes? I tried searching for it around the web but at no avail. It's still premium on crunchy-roll the last time I checked.

So finally had a chance to watch the end...anyone else get a weird Evangelion kinda vibe from that Tailmon/Meicoomon fusion? Or the whole thing even kinda lol. On the subject of that thing...anyone else find some of the angles they close to show it at a wee bit suggestive? Cuz holy crap I did.

The final movie of Digimon Adventrue Tri was on a disappointing side. I often laugh of how people thought Dragon Ball Super was a subject of mediocre or at worst—the plague of the franchise. Despite the narrative and production issues, Dragon Ball Super has—Dragon Ball in general was never strong in the narrative suit—it still had passion from the staff (the animated series—the promotional manga is not included). 
Digimon Adventure Tri on the other hand, I felt no passion towards the project. Each film felt empty, shallow and colossal waste of time—the final movie is the shining example of how I felt entirely of the film.

Let us discuss about the elephant in the room: The 02 Kids that the entirely of the film had avoided. I acknowledge the purpose of Digimon Adventure Tri is the central focus on the original children from the first series—and because of the huge cast already from the original children, adding anymore will falter the narrative even further. Yet, the writers chose the most mundane way to go about it: coming removing them from the core plot for practically every film until the near end. Worsen when the original children practically never pay any mind to the 02 kids at any point of the story, aside from small quips, about their total and complete absent. Especially after the original kids opted for the total reboot to “fix” the problem with the infected Digimon, they did not even bring up the fact that “huh… shouldn’t we worry about the other kids?” Or “Damn, we’re getting our asses kick right now. You know what would be good at this moment? Imperialdramon.” 

Even if one can argued that most of the original children don’t have much to say about the 02 Kids since they’re not in the same year—Hikari and Takeru share the same class with the 02 kids, you would think they would be searching for them, even if the adults gave them some half bake reason. 

The part where Taichi found the 02 kids sleeping in the tubes—in the digital world no less—and suddenly remembering them, felt like a silly handwave because it requires everyone to not act like rational human beings, including their parents, to not question these things.
Of course, all of this exposes something deeper than the lack mention of the 02 kids. They simply unable to handle the cast load, which highlights the mistakes of Tri being a film series instead of a television broadcast—all those flops and flumping would be handle in a different light. Digimon just like their games is notorious for having animations simply not working out for them.

While I agree that the final arc felt like it came straight out of NGE, it was really underwhelming. Practically for the entire duration of the film as standing around, some more standing around, forced drama and emotional turmoil. 

The film series was disappointing—and considering the track record of Digimon animated series as a whole, it’s not the first time enter this realm, including the original Adventure series, surprisingly enough.

Ya know, interestingly enough I'd heard early on a lot of people who were into Digimon saying they kinda hope they ignore 02, which was weird to me since as a kid at least I remember that being everyone's favorite series (aside from me of course, Tamers was always my fav personally). Does the general fandom frown on it now or something? 

I kind of would disagree just a little with the idea that it being a film series posed much of a problem for it overall rather than a TV series though. Really they just needed to pace it a bit more evenly IMO since there were a few plot elements they don't really elaborate all that well. But all told I thought if anything that despite the truncated length the whole central conflict of Meicoomon being essentially the instrument of the end and the whole "will we really have to kill her thing" kind of lost it's punch a film or two short of the end to me. I thought they did a decent job of making you feel that tension there for quite a while and I felt bad for Mei in the end but by the last film it was like "if you're gonna do it just do it already!" lmao. 

Kind of thought there was a lot of "edginess for edginess sake" kinda moments thrown in like that part where Gennai licks Sora or as I mentioned the giant naked Meicoomon fusion thing crashing down in like almost a doggie style position shot right from behind...wow. The EVA imagery looked cool but I agree it was like....WHY? Thematically they were going for something similar in the middle but this had little to do with it...it was a cool design I guess but whatevs. 

I will say I dod appreciate the upped animation quality on the fights and stuff though, they were pretty fun to watch. Only better Digimon fights I can think of were the Hosoda directed ones from the first few movies.

JamesYTP said:
Ya know, interestingly enough I'd heard early on a lot of people who were into Digimon saying they kinda hope they ignore 02, which was weird to me since as a kid at least I remember that being everyone's favorite series (aside from me of course, Tamers was always my fav personally). Does the general fandom frown on it now or something?

I kind of would disagree just a little with the idea that it being a film series posed much of a problem for it overall rather than a TV series though. Really they just needed to pace it a bit more evenly IMO since there were a few plot elements they don't really elaborate all that well. But all told I thought if anything that despite the truncated length the whole central conflict of Meicoomon being essentially the instrument of the end and the whole "will we really have to kill her thing" kind of lost it's punch a film or two short of the end to me. I thought they did a decent job of making you feel that tension there for quite a while and I felt bad for Mei in the end but by the last film it was like "if you're gonna do it just do it already!" lmao. 

Kind of thought there was a lot of "edginess for edginess sake" kinda moments thrown in like that part where Gennai licks Sora or as I mentioned the giant naked Meicoomon fusion thing crashing down in like almost a doggie style position shot right from behind...wow. The EVA imagery looked cool but I agree it was like....WHY? Thematically they were going for something similar in the middle but this had little to do with it...it was a cool design I guess but whatevs. 

I will say I dod appreciate the upped animation quality on the fights and stuff though, they were pretty fun to watch. Only better Digimon fights I can think of were the Hosoda directed ones from the first few movies.

I don't have the sources on me and what I'm going to say is completely speculation. In terms of success, Digimon Adventure 02 has the highest ratings among the Digimon series in Japan. On that aspect, it seems that they're commercially successful.  

In the American Fandom, it's definitely frowned upon due to 1) replacing their favorite characters with essentially discount versions (the production behind Digimon Adventure 02 was horrid) and 2) it's fairly recent, as you said, that the fandom condemn Digimon Adventure 02 (it's similar to show Star Wars Prequel was praised by fans when they first released, but nowadays, if anyone mentions them, they're considered satan themselves). 

Yeah, I agreed that had they had pace the film a bit more, it would be a much better experience (considering that all the films were completed in 2015, you would think reshoots would be in order). I argue that the TV series would force them to slow down, understand that certain elements simply did not need to be added in. For example, I completely hated the digimon subplots where they're going around looking for food: it's not that it's childlike or anything, but it came off as annoying when they're shoving it in your face "Hey guys, these little buggers are SO CUTE, LOOK'EM!"

Plus, it would probably be a lot better if they simply cut down the constant need to showcase everyone digivolving for the millionth time just to pad the movie even more.

Oh my god, the whole Gennai licking Sora was probably the most dumbest thing that came out of the film series. It's not even edgy, it was just out of place that it took me out of the film. Like you said, the Meicoomon battle could've been better, if not, outright amazing, but it wasn't. The military took the majority of the screen time; the rest of the gang basically didn't matter and it was once again, Tai and Matt doing the main meat of the work.

Hikari's statement to Taichi was also kind of confusing. 

"I'll probably never forgive you [for killing Meicoomon], Taichi."

"That's why, I'm going to help you kill Meicoomon".

Like... what?

Plus, Hikari's reaction to Tai being alive was... jarring. I think you're on to something here... that there is a lot of edge for the sake of edge or melodrama. Hikari freak the hell out (I guess) when Tai died, but shown no reaction when Tai appeared. That's a big major issue in the movies: none of the character shown real human emotion, unless the plot shits on them for it: unless it involves crazy faces and a lunatic laugh.

Wow, okay, that does explain a lot. Honestly, I thought there was generally enough distinction between the new kids in the originals in 02 except Daisuke and Tai being too similar. In retrospect, Iori and Miyako maybe didn't stand out too much, the latter especially I suppose but they didn't remind me of the Adventure 1 kids much and with Ken I mean...01 didn't even have a 6th ranger character! lol Digimon Adventure 02 did have some low production quality but Digimon was kind of always meant to be a cheap show hasn't it? I mean, it's a Toei show where they repeat transformations to save time on making new animation every week lol. 

Speaking of the transformations...yeah that was annoying in Tri lol. Kinda made me miss the warp digivolving where they could just go right into their last form. But seriously...they actually made you sit through every damn sequence until they reached the ultimate forms...WHAT!?! lol. I don't really know if there'd be less of that if it were done for TV but I guess it would feel more spread out and less noticeable if it were just like once a week or something. Honestly though I do think on a TV schedule it would've ended up being a little too slow paced personally.  I don't even remember the part you mentioned offhand that's how much of an impression it made, but on a TV schedule that might've been like a whole episode or something. I'm guessing it was just a few scenes or something in one of them?

That was totally out of place, literally, I think the lick was just them saying "look how shocking we are now". Hikari's reaction here was...odd. I kind of took it to mean that at this point she kind of understands it's the only way but that she thinks she'll still be mad at him for coming to that conclusion and making that decision. Which she isn't afterward as far as I can tell. That was very strange.

Yeah, I think there was enough distinction to separate the two different casts, but the problem was the transition between the first cast to a new one can turned off many people. Hence, Pokémon anime works its formula by maintain Satoshi as a singular protagonist. It works for some series, but for others, it can be quite a drop.

Of course, the view of Digimon Adventure 02 seems to be a recent phenomenon—not saying that people did not like the show when it first time out, but at least in Japan, it was quite successful. 

I personally think it was a mistake to introduce Ken without proper introduction of Ryo and his journey in the game series—, which causes plentiful of plots, character developments and other things to drop constantly. Of course, as I research the production issues surrounding Digimon Adventure 02, there isn’t any concrete evidence that anything problems occurred—at least until I find more stuff.

Yeah, Digimon animated series is definitely a cheap show to make—even Xros Wars was somewhat a bit of a letdown, not because of the plot, of how the animation is quite lackey and intent purpose of selling its product is favor here. All of them, including Tamers, call victim into this tactics. 

The transformations were a drag man! It is one of the reasons I argue the TV series would be better suited for this role—because the sequence would not be viewed as a drag if they were spaced out. In the film series, I just expected a quick sequence and that is that…lol

You are definitely on the money that they might have made an entire episode about the Digimon looking for foods. Lord, I get chills just thinking about trying to get through a hypothesis episode about that! Considering the fact that those parts were practically not memorable is another criticism I have to make about the series. There were many scenes that as there, but ultimately served no purpose. I vaguely remember Leomon showing up… but I cannot, for the life of me, recall what he do or why he was there in the first place…lol

Yeah, they were going for the typical shock factors by having characters doing crazy faces to expect us to be suck in. At least for us, it did the complete opposite—it felt flat. Like that government girl that went into the dark ocean or something and got washed away…. Or something? She was laughing like a madman and… that was it. I mean, OK show, what was the scene supposed to convey here? You already shown her being nuts during her encounter…so what was the point of this scene? Felt like an afterthought.

A lot of stuff in the dialogue came off as nonsensical or worded in a very, very strange way. Don’t know if the translators mucked up the translation, or the dialogue is trying a tad bit too hard to be philosophical and ended up falling flat on its face. Like, I get what Hikari was trying to say, after multiple rewatches of the scene, but it worded in such a mundane way that it wasn’t really clear.

Back
Top Bottom