Digimon Adventure Tri

ShineCero

The Strongest
ADMINISTRATOR
Joined
Sep 3, 2015
Posts
8,351
Location
Nothingness
Pronouns
He/Him
75493.jpg

It's been six years since that summer adventure when Taichi Yagami and the rest of the DigiDestined crossed over to the Digital World. And nearly three years have passed since the final battle between Hikari Yagami's group and BelialVamdemon. As the peaceful days passed by, at some point the gate to the Digital World closed. Not even the DigiDestined know what caused this, and time alone continues to pass.

On one such day, a Kuwagamon suddenly appears in Odaiba. Its rampage leaves the town in ruins, and the people there in turmoil. Taichi happens to catch sight of the Kuwagamon, and he chases after it all by himself in an effort to halt its rampage. But there's nothing he can do against a Kuwagamon.

"It's no use... I can't do anything about this alone..."
Just as the Kuwagamon roars and attacks Taichi, his Digivice begins to emit a bright light...

"Taichi, look how big you've grown!"
With the sound of that nostalgic voice, the story once again begins to move in a big way.

Taichi Yagami, age 17; high school student.
The adventure now evolves once again.




Digimon Adventure tri. will be a six-part film series. 
  • The first installment, Reunion, premiered on November 21st, 2015, as well as Crunchyroll and other media streaming sites, the former of which splitting the release into four parts.
  • The second installment, Determination, is due for release on March 12th, 2016, with a home video release in Japan on April 2nd, 2016.
CUVnGXtUsAAxeMA.jpg
 
Mimi with Rosemon and Jo with Vikemon! I like what I see. I've seen a couple of episodes and it confused me (Mainly because I don't know much about Digimon). I guess I can'r say too much because I only saw two episodes but I'll give it a try and see it to the end before I give a final verdict.
 
I'm just really happy to see that there's a new series! I've got a special place for Digimon in my heart so I've really looked forward to watching Tri.
I liked how they used the old opening and ending (eventhough I didn't notice that at first because I've only heard the English dub opening (which is awesome by the way))
The animation was a bit iffy at some points and not much happened in the first 4 episodes, but still it wasn't that bad ( I was too happy seeing the old characters again xD).
But it's still sad that it's gonna take a while for the next episodes to come out, also the fact that it's made by Toei saddens me.
 
Well, I just finished watching Reunion....I gotta say I'm a wee bit confused plot wise. I guess it's because they haven't revealed a lot but I still feel like I'm missing something, dunno why. Also, way to raise the stakes to the max in the end there, that digimon (Alphamon was it?) went toe to toe with Omegamon. Not quite sure what to make of Taichi's sudden aversion to wrecking the towns here though. I mean, I guess it's KINDA realistic and all (I mean, the insurance companies probably went broke after Myotismon lol) but it's not like anyone actually has been killed in the crossfire yet....I dunno. It's weirding me out so far but they could do interesting things with that idea.
 
JamesYTP said:
Well, I just finished watching Reunion....I gotta say I'm a wee bit confused plot wise. I guess it's because they haven't revealed a lot but I still feel like I'm missing something, dunno why. Also, way to raise the stakes to the max in the end there, that digimon (Alphamon was it?) went toe to toe with Omegamon. Not quite sure what to make of Taichi's sudden aversion to wrecking the  towns here though. I mean, I guess it's KINDA realistic and all (I mean, the insurance companies probably went broke after Myotismon lol) but it's not like anyone actually has been killed in the crossfire yet....I dunno. It's weirding me out so far but they could do interesting things with that idea.

I agreed with you, there bro. There's many things I didn't like about the Reunion movie. 

I don't understand Tai's sudden aversion about the idea of "becoming too dangerous" when he practically already resolved that all the way in Adventure, and further put a nail to the coffin in Adventure 02. For Taichi to suddenly freeze up and act realized that kills his character development. 

Isn't Sora and Yamato supposed to be dating? Why is she suddenly interested in Taichi again? I haven't seen Taichi shown any interest towards her other than asking her to come to his futball match; but that's about it. So what the heck? Did Sora and Yamato broke up? I also dislike how majority of them has their character seem reversed. The only one that actually was ilkable for me with Mimi and probably Joe (for some reason, Joe seems to be flunking due to stress... even though he already resolved that issue already..). It's like they're taking all the problems from previous seasons, ignoring the fac that they have already accepted and resolved the issue and making it an inconvenience to "prove a point" i the story they're trying to tell. 

I was quite annoyed how none of them practically didn't stop for a second and be all: "Hey, bunch of Digimon appeared. Where the hell is Daisuke and the others? We sure needed that Imperalidramon right now." Hell, you would think Hikari and Takeru would be the first one to say something about their missing disappearance(s). Although I do credit Takeru of actually sending them an email of what the hell is going on.

And that girl with the digivice. I like how they completely disregard the fact that Alphamon never actually fought them seriously and was simply after the girl, never question why it was after her anyways nor question the idea of how there could be another person with that digivice. How come she didn't get the same digivice as Hikari and Takeru?

As of now, the story sucks and the characters development is lacking. I'll give them a benefit of doubt that they just started, but man, it felt like a waste of time. A whole lot of something going on.. and yet barely understand what the hell it was happening. It's like they threw in every plot point in this movie and expect them to stick.

Like, that one scene where Izzy was talking and explaining what the hell was happening; yet when Yamato and Taichi were about to rip each other face off, you can still hear Izzy talking. I can see if they're trying to pull a funny but damn, that was a bad execution and awkward scene.
 
ShineCero said:
Like, that one scene where Izzy was talking and explaining what the hell was happening; yet when Yamato and Taichi were about to rip each other face off, you can still hear Izzy talking. I can see if they're trying to pull a funny but damn, that was a bad execution and awkward scene.

Oh my god that scene was so soo weird. I don't think I've ever seen something so awkward. It was plain weird. He kept talking in a very monotonous voice which actually got really irritating eventhough it was supposed to be 'funny'. Like you're supposed to get a reaction of Izzy at some point but it never came????? Very odd.
 
Ploep said:
ShineCero said:
Like, that one scene where Izzy was talking and explaining what the hell was happening; yet when Yamato and Taichi were about to rip each other face off, you can still hear Izzy talking. I can see if they're trying to pull a funny but damn, that was a bad execution and awkward scene.

Oh my god that scene was so soo weird. I don't think I've ever seen something so awkward. It was plain weird. He kept talking in a very monotonous voice which actually got really irritating eventhough it was supposed to be 'funny'. Like you're supposed to get a reaction of Izzy at some point but it never came????? Very odd.

Right? I don't know what the hell the animators and the writers were thinking in that scene. It was so cringe-worthy to watch. The second movie better step their game up, you know what I'm saying? No more awkward scenes.
 
ShineCero said:
I agreed with you, there bro. There's many things I didn't like about the Reunion movie. 

I don't understand Tai's sudden aversion about the idea of "becoming too dangerous" when he practically already resolved that all the way in Adventure, and further put a nail to the coffin in Adventure 02. For Taichi to suddenly freeze up and act realized that kills his character development. 

Isn't Sora and Yamato supposed to be dating? Why is she suddenly interested in Taichi again? I haven't seen Taichi shown any interest towards her other than asking her to come to his futball match; but that's about it. So what the heck? Did Sora and Yamato broke up? I also dislike how majority of them has their character seem reversed. The only one that actually was ilkable for me with Mimi and probably Joe (for some reason, Joe seems to be flunking due to stress... even though he already resolved that issue already..). It's like they're taking all the problems from previous seasons, ignoring the fac that they have already accepted and resolved the issue and making it an inconvenience to "prove a point" i the story they're trying to tell. 

I was quite annoyed how none of them practically didn't stop for a second and be all: "Hey, bunch of Digimon appeared. Where the hell is Daisuke and the others? We sure needed that Imperalidramon right now." Hell, you would think Hikari and Takeru would be the first one to say something about their missing disappearance(s). Although I do credit Takeru of actually sending them an email of what the hell is going on.

And that girl with the digivice. I like how they completely disregard the fact that Alphamon never actually fought them seriously and was simply after the girl, never question why it was after her anyways nor question the idea of how there could be another person with that digivice. How come she didn't get the same digivice as Hikari and Takeru?

As of now, the story sucks and the characters development is lacking. I'll give them a benefit of doubt that they just started, but man, it felt like a waste of time. A whole lot of something going on.. and yet barely understand what the hell it was happening. It's like they threw in every plot point in this movie and expect them to stick.

Like, that one scene where Izzy was talking and explaining what the hell was happening; yet when Yamato and Taichi were about to rip each other face off, you can still hear Izzy talking. I can see if they're trying to pull a funny but damn, that was a bad execution and awkward scene.

Well, I guess I kinda get that they were really kinda trying to push the idea that Taichi changed some as he grew up. I honestly kinda like the idea of going there since that's kind of a part of like a lot of people go through when they get to high school, when ya kinda realize that you're a different person now and so are a lot of your old friends and you just kinda start to drift apart from there. Buuut as far as the execution of this went, being afraid to destroy isn't really the best way to explore this idea lol. I guess if I were to kinda take a stab at the rationale there Tai's crest was courage so I guess they were trying to show him being a bit more fearful....IDK, whatever it was that just didn't work.

 Honestly I kinda feel like Sora being interested in Tai again was largely pandering to nostalgia. Those two were the couple everyone always shipped, so I guess they felt the need to at least go there. Of course I kinda knew going in that at best they were going to not heed Digimon Adventure 02 much and that epilogue seems to be controversial among fans, so maybe they just didn't wanna go there right away? IDK. I didn't actually catch that Takeru was emailing Daisuke and the Adventure 02 crew on first viewing but I'm glad they're acknowledging they exist at least. It's been a few months since I finished rewatching 02 as a refresher for this but if I remember right wasn't it just Daisuke, Ken, Iori, Miyako, Takeru and Hikari that ad the D3 digivices? I seem to remember that all the other digi-destined they encountered across the world had standard digivices. 

I think the whole thing with the new girl was just a transition into the next film/bunch of episodes. They'll explore her a bit more later but for now it's just an introduction. Although the fact that there are digidestined outside of their group is pretty established I think. All in all I think they were trying to cram too much into this one film and it was a lot of exposition dumping at best...hope they do better with the next.
 
JamesYTP said:
ShineCero said:
I agreed with you, there bro. There's many things I didn't like about the Reunion movie. 

I don't understand Tai's sudden aversion about the idea of "becoming too dangerous" when he practically already resolved that all the way in Adventure, and further put a nail to the coffin in Adventure 02. For Taichi to suddenly freeze up and act realized that kills his character development. 

Isn't Sora and Yamato supposed to be dating? Why is she suddenly interested in Taichi again? I haven't seen Taichi shown any interest towards her other than asking her to come to his futball match; but that's about it. So what the heck? Did Sora and Yamato broke up? I also dislike how majority of them has their character seem reversed. The only one that actually was ilkable for me with Mimi and probably Joe (for some reason, Joe seems to be flunking due to stress... even though he already resolved that issue already..). It's like they're taking all the problems from previous seasons, ignoring the fac that they have already accepted and resolved the issue and making it an inconvenience to "prove a point" i the story they're trying to tell. 

I was quite annoyed how none of them practically didn't stop for a second and be all: "Hey, bunch of Digimon appeared. Where the hell is Daisuke and the others? We sure needed that Imperalidramon right now." Hell, you would think Hikari and Takeru would be the first one to say something about their missing disappearance(s). Although I do credit Takeru of actually sending them an email of what the hell is going on.

And that girl with the digivice. I like how they completely disregard the fact that Alphamon never actually fought them seriously and was simply after the girl, never question why it was after her anyways nor question the idea of how there could be another person with that digivice. How come she didn't get the same digivice as Hikari and Takeru?

As of now, the story sucks and the characters development is lacking. I'll give them a benefit of doubt that they just started, but man, it felt like a waste of time. A whole lot of something going on.. and yet barely understand what the hell it was happening. It's like they threw in every plot point in this movie and expect them to stick.

Like, that one scene where Izzy was talking and explaining what the hell was happening; yet when Yamato and Taichi were about to rip each other face off, you can still hear Izzy talking. I can see if they're trying to pull a funny but damn, that was a bad execution and awkward scene.

Well, I guess I kinda get that they were really kinda trying to push the idea that Taichi changed some as he grew up. I honestly kinda like the idea of going there since that's kind of a part of like a lot of people go through when they get to high school, when ya kinda realize that you're a different person now and so are a lot of your old friends and you just kinda start to drift apart from there. Buuut as far as the execution of this went, being afraid to destroy isn't really the best way to explore this idea lol. I guess if I were to kinda take a stab at the rationale there Tai's crest was courage so I guess they were trying to show him being a bit more fearful....IDK, whatever it was that just didn't work.

 Honestly I kinda feel like Sora being interested in Tai again was largely pandering to nostalgia. Those two were the couple everyone always shipped, so I guess they felt the need to at least go there. Of course I kinda knew going in that at best they were going to not heed Digimon Adventure 02 much and that epilogue seems to be controversial among fans, so maybe they just didn't wanna go there right away? IDK. I didn't actually catch that Takeru was emailing Daisuke and the Adventure 02 crew on first viewing but I'm glad they're acknowledging they exist at least. It's been a few months since I finished rewatching 02 as a refresher for this but if I remember right wasn't it just Daisuke, Ken, Iori, Miyako, Takeru and Hikari that ad the D3 digivices? I seem to remember that all the other digi-destined they encountered across the world had standard digivices. 

I think the whole thing with the new girl was just a transition into the next film/bunch of episodes. They'll explore her a bit more later but for now it's just an introduction. Although the fact that there are digidestined outside of their group is pretty established I think. All in all I think they were trying to cram too much into this one film and it was a lot of exposition dumping at best...hope they do better with the next.

I mean, I can see what they're trying to do, but the problem is that Taichi already dealt with these issues and concluded that if they don't do something, Digimon is going to destroyed and kill anyone anyways.. so it's better this way or all of them die. Heck, even Yamato got angry at Tai because he was telling it the blunt truth of the case. For him to just go back to it (if they're trying to do a deconstruction) just falls.. flat you know? I wouldn't mind if they passed it onto other characters, like Hikari. Though I agree that, had the execution actually been better, I would have a less of the problem of how they portrayed him, but man the execution just felt flat. 

I agreed that they might of do away some established things from Adventure 02 (we just have to wait and see the next movie), but man, that just poking dem fan boys rages in the community lol xD I honestly think Tai and Mimi would be perfect together if they want romance ::lmao: although, I hope the romance doesn't undermine the plot. 

 As for the digivice; hmm, I seems to forgot about that. If that's the case, then I withdraw that complaint. Although, I still felt that she just came out of nowhere or just really didn't developed her enough to make us even considered her appearance) since she was only in a few scenes one ore twice looking for a Digimon and bam; Alphamon all over her. Of course, I'll wait to see where they go from there but yeah, I highly think they just cram too much stuff into the series and expected to flow smoothly. Hopefully the second movie gets better XD 

I'm curious about Hackmon being there. Since it relates to Jesmon, it's possible would be seeing all the Royal Knights?
 
[video=youtube]

[align=center]Trailer for the Determination Movie. What are your guys thoughts?​
 
I finally got around to watching it. It was nice! This time Mimi and Joe were the main attention point. :D I do wonder why Ken is suddenly bad again? He was a good guy in season 2 right?
 
Saw the new 4 episodes/second movie. I also find it odd that Ken was all Digimon Emperor again too, quite a cliffhanger to end on.  Can't believe they did a fanservice episode too....the ladies seem to love Taichi lol.
 
The 3rd installment Kokuhaku/Confession came out recently. With Izzy and TK as main attention points! 
Thoughts?
 
Oops, never get went into full thoughts onto this. Might as well start now.

Second episode was pretty much pointless drama that really shouldn't been emphasized. Perhaps, I'm being too harsh but episode 2 and 3 are nothing short of rushed products and poor development for the characters. I really don't understand the whole reboot thing.

I'm becoming dreaded of what's to come of Episode 4.
 
So I just had a chance to finish watching Confessions, had a very Toy Story 3 vibe to it almost...only possibly more hopeless and depressing :p. Them and the dang cliffhangers though! Eesh!! 

So it seems this "Digimon Emperor" is in fact not Ken afterall, but Jennai. Kinda makes me wonder if we'll see Daisuke, Ken and the other Adventure 02 main cast in this since they haven't appeared yet. I wonder if they're really gonna keep the partner Digimon's memory erased too...

ShineCero

Oops, never get went into full thoughts onto this. Might as well start now.

Second episode was pretty much pointless drama that really shouldn't been emphasized. Perhaps, I'm being too harsh but episode 2 and 3 are nothing short of rushed products and poor development for the characters. I really don't understand the whole reboot thing. 

I'm becoming dreaded of what's to come of Episode 4.

Basically the idea is that the Digimon and the digital world have gone through a "system recovery" of sorts. The whole world has more or less been put back in it's out of the box state....seems to be kinda like when they first got there, maybe in an even earlier state.
 
I'm aware of what the reboot does, but I was more asking why it was a plot device in the first place. Considering the options, they poke a gaping hole into the plot generally by doing this:

02 Kids' Digimon are also being rebooted. In addition, it was revealed that the majority of the population, as of 02, received became Chosen Children. Their Digimon should also be rebooted. They either completely ignored the plot-point as they consistently done through these movie series, or literally forgot about this. Either way, it leaves a plot-hole that continues to be left unanswered unless they are waiting until the last possible movie to actually talk about this (which would overall tip the scale of stupidity). 

With that said, Movie 4 was released a couple of days ago. As my discussion with Ploep, it's clear that Movie 4 was the worst of the bunch. That's saying something.

Firstly, the Sora-Biyomon scenario was overplayed, dragged out for way to long and suddenly resolved in a matter of seconds as if the entire thing was a afterthought. This was like all the complaints towards Sora's character was over-exaggeration to the brink that it justified their hatred. Sora was essentially a piss-baby who can't get what she wants and can't solved their own problems. 

01 Kids as a whole either have severely brain functioning or they blatantly never asked questions of why shit is happening. Example? The fact that no one even seems to care about the fact that Meiko suddenly shows up in the Digital World without any form of explanation. They were all "Hey! You're here! Let's find your Digimon!" and that's was it. Considering that their actions throughout of the series never ask the importance ones throughout the plot, it's like I'm watching an episode of Steven Universe at this point.

Gennai licking Sora and the awkward scene where it appears that he was groping her (he was actually looking for the Digivice) was so unnecessary and stupid that it caused me to paused the video and walked away for a clear moment or two, lamenting on "Should I really watch this shit?". In addition, the scene between Meiko and Gennai was equally disturbing, if not outright stupid. What made the scene even more dumb, if not hilarious is how Sora basically stood there and let it happen, but as soon as she saw Biyomon get hurt, she pushes Gennai off of him like it was nothing. Implications is definitely not good for these scenes.

The clear notation that they are trying to filled the running time with showing the evolution sequence of each of the Digimon towards the end. It was so unnecessary that I outright skipped most of them just to on with the action already. Turned out that it was all that special to begin with. 

"But but the original series did the same!" The original series was a TV series with plenty of episodes. Digimon Tri was a movie series that should have a set running time and plot development - none of this 1-2 minute long evolution should be included. Hell, Digimon: Our War Game had this and was much faster in comparison (along with better animation evolution to the boot). Finally, just because the original series did it, doesn't mean it should continue it - especially in a film series.

Himekawa's story was basically an afterthought her. The flashback sequence in the beginning was definitively shoe-horned without any buildup whatsoever as Ploep stated. As if they were all "Fuck, we ran out of shit to put in this movie. What can we include? Fuck it, just include the backstory for this character that no one actually gives a fuck about and never mention it again and the ability to make the audience care about this character with no personality whatsoever!"

The editing in this episode was horrid as shit. Whoever edited it, hell, animated this, clearly need to be fired and replaced. There were tons of scenes in the movie that left me all:

[align=center][video=youtube]

For example. There was a scene where Sora and Biyomon landed in the desert after getting blasted away by Machinedramon (everyone survives this in their rookie forme). Sora tried to talk to Biyomon, only to get told to fuck off. Then Sora started crying, which Biyomon sees. Then immediately the next scene, with NO build up whatsoever, they were next to Meiko (who appeared out of nowhere) and tried to wake her up. What happen to Sora crying? Why did Biyomon give that reaction? Why the transition so fucking shit here?

And that's just one example. Everyone getting separated by Machinedramon was basically pointless because it was reduced into a literal slideshow. Or the transition of Sora and Meiko into the desert, than ALL of the sudden that they landed in some forest... despite no sign of desert for fucking miles. There are lots of shit that really grind my gears, but these are my general thoughts.

Movie 4 continues Tri's train of being shit. Let's see how fucked Movie 5 will be.
 
Yeah basically what Shine said. XD
The movie i was anticipating the most was the biggest let down yet. 
Biyomon's attitude felt ooc, even if she was being cautious it was dragged out for too long and the way she got over it was also done very abruptly.
The beginning of the movie also came out of nowhere with not much explanation.
The animation was lacking as usual and the evolution sequences werent even done that well while they took up a lot of time (that was really unnecessary at the end)
Let's not even begin talking about the fake 'genji'.  :facepalm:
Himekawa spening a good part of her life trying to get her digimon back by doing the reboot --》 goes crazy over the fact her digimon doesnt remember her because of said reboot.

As for the good parts:
Meiko's chara development, Izzy showing agumon and gomamon pictures from before the reboot, Hikari saying how the reboot was better for Gatomon and Joe being cool this movie. xD
 
I see, haven't had a chance to watch the 4th one but that does sound disappointing. Interesting fact about editing in animation though, typically the editor's only job is to put the finished scenes together. Unlike in live action work where you have a lot of different angles and a lot of footage to work with and decide from in animation almost nothing is left on the cutting room floor. The timing of when each shot ends and cuts to the next and when and how scenes transition is typically decided by the "timer" (in America anyway), whose job is to take the storyboard and make note of how long each shot will be and the details of an animation (how many steps this character takes and at what second they take them etc.) and in some cases the director will too. Typically they'll form  an animatic (video storyboard) before the animation is started. How this works in Japan I don't quite know though, voice actor performances dictate a lot of that here too as they record right after the storyboard is done here usually, but in Japan they don't until the animation is totally done.
 
Back
Top Bottom