What you like about YOUR art!

LoopyPanda

Black Jacket
Website
babyufo.tumblr.com
Being introspective and critical of our creations is certainly a tool with seeking out ways to improve, but with every art-centred space I've been in, it's pretty rare for us to share things we like about our own art. Myself included, it's always "I need to work on this, I have to improve on that, I'm not good enough at these things." It's not inherently bad to critique ourselves, but I feel that doing it too much can put us into a bad mental space where we feel more unsatisfied with our artistic growth over time because our mindset focuses far too much on the "bad" aspects. Art is hard, so why make something that should be enjoyable a stressful experience?

So I was thinking maybe it'd be help someone even a little to have a place where they can share things they like about their art without feeling like they're bragging. We critique our creations enough as it is alone, but having a judgement-free space to put out positive thoughts as they come can make maybe a world of difference some days when nothing is coming out right.

Note:

• It doesn't have to be about just drawings! Art can be drawing, writing, craft projects (i.e. repaints and makeovers of existing objects, DIYs), etc. Anything really!
  • This is a positivity thread! No self-deprecation sandwiches or any of the sort (even as a joke). You're awesome, damn it, so own it!

What I like about my art is that it's completely unique to me. 

Like, take my Doll Customizing, for example. Even in the ways I do face-ups and cut out clothing patterns, you'd know it was made by me, just from the style of the way I do my face-ups. 

My writing is also completely unique to me, along with my unique fanfiction name. On AO3 (and on fanfic.net before I jumped ship to AO3) my name is PracticalSuccubus. Sometimes, I kinda imagine someone clicks on one of my fics without looking at the name, and 'Oh! This is one of PracticalSuccubus' fics!' pops into their head. 

Everyone has a style, and I quite like my unique style ^..^

@Loopypanda : damn you're spot on about artists being too hard on themselves (i know I am lolol) and I appreciate you taking the time to make this type of thread! A lil bit of positivity never hurt anyone haha.

@Shinecero you told me to post in here so I expect you to do the same! =____= And you too Loopy!! 

Hmm so what I like about my art.. I like the way I draw eyes. 
I also think its pretty cool I can switch between a sketchy style and a very neat linearty style. 

I've been pretty content with the works i've been churning out recently.

Back when i wasnt drawing that actively, I felt highly ashamed when I tried making fanart of characters because they never looked the part.  
So I'm proud of myself that I feel like I finally reached a level where i can actually see that I drew an existing character without it looking bad!

Aiya said:
What I like about my art is that it's completely unique to me. 

Like, take my Doll Customizing, for example. Even in the ways I do face-ups and cut out clothing patterns, you'd know it was made by me, just from the style of the way I do my face-ups. 

My writing is also completely unique to me, along with my unique fanfiction name. On AO3 (and on fanfic.net before I jumped ship to AO3) my name is PracticalSuccubus. Sometimes, I kinda imagine someone clicks on one of my fics without looking at the name, and 'Oh! This is one of PracticalSuccubus' fics!' pops into their head. 

Everyone has a style, and I quite like my unique style ^..^
Your username is so cool! I'm probably going to make an AO3 account one of these days since it looks more user-friendly than FFnet at the moment. IF I decided to start writing fanfic again, haha...
Ploep said:
@Loopypanda : damn you're spot on about artists being too hard on themselves (i know I am lolol) and I appreciate you taking the time to make this type of thread! A lil bit of positivity never hurt anyone haha.

@Shinecero you told me to post in here so I expect you to do the same! =____= And you too Loopy!! 

Hmm so what I like about my art.. I like the way I draw eyes. 
I also think its pretty cool I can switch between a sketchy style and a very neat linearty style. 

I've been pretty content with the works i've been churning out recently.

Back when i wasnt drawing that actively, I felt highly ashamed when I tried making fanart of characters because they never looked the part.  
So I'm proud of myself that I feel like I finally reached a level where i can actually see that I drew an existing character without it looking bad!
Haha I promise to post in here! Pinky promise, even! :p
I hope to work my way up to quickening my output, it's a great ability to have! Provided you take breaks as needed of course.

Admittedly I didn't have anything on hand to put when I first wrote the OP, but I think i do now!
Hmmm... I think I'm pretty happy about my ability to design outfits for characters (canon or my own). I love details and figuring out how to make the character stand out by conveying their personality by the way they make themselves look. I like having a bit of eye candy here and there without cluttering things. Basically, designs and color coordinating things is my best ability right now (even if coloring is laborious, but the product is much better that way). I think fluffy scruffy hair with a little curly ahoge is the best way to recognize I drew something 70% of the time haha.

I'm also very happy with my proportions lately! I like when arms and legs come out shapely, and my drawn hands are slowly coming around after years of struggling. Hooray!

Ah damn, I knew I was going to get tag in this thread… 

It took me a while to think about what I like about my own art. I have to say, I really like that I was able to convey a drawing, even if the lines aren’t very neat nor clean. I like the rough style in my drawings—gives it more emotions in my eyes.

I like the way I am capable to replicating other styles while defaulting to my style. It gives me more options to take several inspirations from many artists I respect and applied it to my own. I think some who know that my style is heavily inspired by ONE’s style.

I went through a hard time last year, and my interest in drawing sank to the lowest levels. Yet, even since I got my tablet and begin the Sketchuary event, I fell in love with drawing again… so much that I want to continue improving my skills. So that’s another thing I love about my own art. The fact that even if I don’t do good the first time around, I am able to take that experience and improve it on the next drawing… hence why I’m loving the way I’m trying out various perspectives (first point, third point) to further my skills even further.

I want to dabble animation one day :thinking:

What I like about my art in terms of my drawing, I absolutely love my progress. I have every drawing I've made since middle school to now saved in boxes and I enjoy looking back at all the fun ideas and characters I made. My growth as an artist drives me to keep creating and seeing where I've started makes me proud that I didn't give up (even if sometimes I really wanted to) 
And I really like the way I draw expressions and muscles :katkek:

In terms of art in general, I like that I have a wide variety of mediums that I can work with. Mostly cause anything else beside drawing kinda gets me in a zen mode. I love working with wood, paint, charcoal, clay and Im going to be working with metal and plaster soon, so im super excited for that! 

And lastly, I like my little quirk of observing people in the realm of storytelling and animation. I know it doesn't have much to do with the actual art process, but with shows and books, I like to observe people's opinions and live reactions to what they're watching/reading. Did they enjoy it? Did they hate it? Why or why not? What drew them to the content or why did a scene have such an impact on them?
I feel like it'll help me in the future when I wanna publish a comic or show myself. Keeping the audience in mind so my comic makes a memorable impression on them. 
Wow I've been rambling but yeah! That sums up what I like about my art! :happy:

One thing I like about my art is that I have greatly improved a lot from when I first began. I tend to lean on how much I like my habit of making original characters, especially based on how their personality would be like. I work backwards, believe it or not. Instead of drawing the character and giving it a personality later, I literally draw the personality as a character. :fan:  I guess that explains why some of my characters are pretty simple in some cases but complex in others. I've grown a love for animation (after all, I originally wanted to study it) and now I can practice it, although crudely, on my program. I think I'm getting the hang of it but I still need to sharpen my edges. One thing I've grown so fond of is how I've learned to use different poses and move out of my comfort zone. I had a very hard time doing certain poses, especially the profile view. I dreaded it so much! But with a ton of practice and a few tricks I've learned, I can easily work on the facial/head side view angle. 

New project is to work on how to better draw hands, but I've slowly been getting the hang of it, especially with some new tricks I have learned! Be ready to see some improvements soon.

Back
Top Bottom