Understanding Love

Aiya

Blue Jacket
(This is the story I'm submitting to the writing contest. I'm not changing it or the idea. I like how this turned out, so, yeah :p

“Why are you dragging me here?”

Aidan sighed as his best friend, Koharu, dragged him to a cosplay cafe.

“Oh, come on! This’ll be fun!” Koharu said happily. She dragged Aiden into the cafe She sat at a table, and Aidan sat across from her.

“Again. Why did I have to come?” Aidan sighed.

“My friend Adri works here. I requested for her to be our server,” Koharu smiled. Just then, their server came. She had her silver hair in a pixie cut, had eyes that shone like obsidians, and pale skin. She wore a light blue maid’s dress and a white apron as her work uniform. Her name tag read ‘Adri’.

“Welcome to the Maid Cafe! It’s nice to see you again, Koharu. How are you?” Adri asked.

“Hey, Adri! I’m fine. Still rocking that pixie haircut, I see,” Koharu said. Adri blushed lightly.

“Thank you, Ko. What would you two like to drink?” Adri asked. Koharu looked at the menu.

“I’ll take a water. What about you, Aiden?” Koharu asked. Koharu looked at his menu.

“I’ll take a Sprite, please,” Aiden smiled. Adri smiled, and wrote down the drink orders.

“Alright. I’ll be back in a little while with your drinks and to get your orders,” she smiled. Adri walked off from the table.

“So. Do you like her?” Koharu asked.

“Yeah. She seems cool,” Aidan smiled
~~~
“It was nice meeting you, Aidan. Ko talks about you all the time, so I was getting eager to see you” Adri smiled.

“I have a question for you. When does your shift end?” Aidan asked. Adri blushed lightly.

“It ends at six. Why?” She asked.

“What are you doing after your shift ends?” Aidan asked. There was no hiding it. Aidan had fallen for Adri already. The way her obsidian eyes glittered like jewels when she was happy, her perfect, pale skin, and her unique silver hair were all factors that made Aidan fall. Koharu whispered something to Adri, making her light blush disappear.
“I...I know, Koharu. I know,” Adri said softly. Koharu whispered something else, and Adri’s blush returned. She looked at Aidan. “I’ll see you later on tonight,” she smiled. Aidan smiled and nodded
~~

Later on that night, Aidan returned to the cafe. Adri was just getting off her shift.

“Hello again, Aidan,” Adri smiled, walking up to him. She took off her maid’s headpiece, “Would you mind if we went back to my apartment, first? I’d like to change out of my uniform,” Adri said.

“I wouldn’t mind a bit,” Aidan smiled. As the two walked to Adri’s apartment, the two were chatting happily. Upon arriving at the apartment, the two went in, and Aidan sat on the couch while Adri went to her room to change.

In her room, Adri changed out of ‘her’ outfit.

“I have to tell him soon that...I’m not really a girl, and my full name is Adrian…,” Adri said softly. He changed into a black skirt and a white shirt. He put a small barrette in his hair, and went back out to Aidan, smiling sweetly.

“Wow. You still look amazing,” Aidan smiled. Adri blushed. Aidan took her hand, and the two left the apartment. Aidan led Adri to a restaurant. Once they got their table, Aidan looked at Adri.
“I’ve wanted to tell you this all day. I know we just met today, Adri, but I, for one, have fallen in love with you,” Aidan said.

“Y-You have…?” Adri said softly.

“Yes. I have. I’m sorry I’m being so forward,” Aidan said.

“Don’t be. I’m just...so happy. Because I fell in love with you, too,” Adri said.

“Really?” Aidan said, a bit shocked.

“Yes. Really. And...there’s something I have to tell you. Adri...Adri is just a nickname. It’s only part of my full name,” Adri said.

“Oh. Then, what’s your full name?” Aidan asked.

“I’d...be more comfortable telling it to you at my apartment,” Adri said, looking away. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Aidan nod his head.
~~
Later, at the apartment, Adrian went into his room, and changed his clothes yet again. He changed into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Aidan was sitting in the living room again, waiting for Adri. Adrian took a deep breath, and left his room. He went to the living room. Aidan looked at him.

“Where’s Adri?” he asked. Adrian flinched slightly.

“I’m...Adri. Remember how I told you Adri was just a nickname? Well, it is. My full name is Adrian. And, yes, Koharu knows about this. I told her to keep it a secret...so I could keep my job. I needed the money, and I was walking by the cafe one day. They were hiring girls, and the pay looked good, so, I went to the store, and used a bit of the money I had left to buy some girl clothes, and I went to my apartment, changed into them, and went back to the cafe.”

“Please don’t tell anyone. I need this job. I need the money. I’m sorry I fooled you, and Koharu didn’t say anything. I had her sworn to secrecy, too. I’m really sorry, Aidan. But, back at the restaurant, I wasn’t lying. I...I really do love you,” Adrian explained.

“...” Aidan was silent. After a few moments, he got out his phone, and called Koharu.

“Get to Adrian’s apartment. I want a full story. Now,” he said.

“He told you, didn’t he?” Koharu said softly.

“Yes. He did. What should I do?” Aidan asked.

“I’ll come over. But, while I’m getting there, do what’s in your heart, Aidan,” Koharu said. She hung up. Aidan hung up, and looked at Adrian.

“You still...love me, correct?” Aidan said.

“Yes. I do. My...My parents always told me it was wrong, but, I guess that, in life, you can’t help who you end up loving, sometimes. I...I understand if you’re disgusted with me. I’m used to people telling me that they’re disgusted with my life choices, homosexuality is a sin, I should be ashamed, and everything else within that range,” Adrian said, looking at the ground. Aidan stood, and went over to him.

“That’s...awful. To be used to that kind of treatment from others,” Aidan said, “I mean, you’re still human.”

“I know. I’m a human with feelings, but a lot of them don’t see past the homosexuality part,” Adrian said softly.

“Well, you know what? I still love you, too,” Aidan said.
“If this is pity, I really don’t need it,” Adrian said.

“No, it’s not pity. Far from it. You’re still you. You still have that lovely silver hair, those enchanting obsidian eyes, and that beautiful pale skin. Besides, you are a wonderful person, inside and out,” Aidan said. Adrian blushed.

“Th-Thank you…,” Adrian said softly.

Just as Koharu walked into the apartment, Adrian and Aidan kissed.

Okay. On Skype, I took what you guys said into consideration. I rewrote the whole thing, with more details added in so it's more realistic. Hope you guys like :D

Also, this one's titled Unaccepted and Accepted
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unaccepted.

That’s what I am.

My name is Adrian Knight, and I’m mostly unaccepted by everyone around because I’m gay. My parents told me it was wrong; they always taught me that. When I came out to them, they kicked me out. I had to live with my best friend, Koharu Shine, in her apartment because I had nowhere else to go. I had no money, nothing. At first, I was afraid to come out to Koharu. I was afraid she’d have the same reaction as my parents. But, when I showed up at her door, and told her everything, she accepted me with open arms, and agreed to let me stay.

I didn’t want to be a huge burden on her, so I decided to find a job to help with rent. After weeks of searching, Koharu said she’d get me an application for the restaurant she worked at.

When I got the job at the restaurant, at first, I was ecstatic. I was finally going to earn money to help Koharu with rent and buy myself a new wardrobe. With my first paycheck, I set aside half to help with rent, and the other half for food and clothes. For a few months, Koharu and I lived happily. We split the rent, shared food, helped each other pick out clothes.

~~

After a while, Ko wanted to introduce me to another friend of hers, Aiden Kahler. She told me that Aiden was...almost like me. He was bi, but the major difference was that his parents accepted him, no matter what. I was jealous of him. I didn’t want to meet him at first because of that fact. Ko kept pushing me to meet him, however, and after a while, I said I would, just to get it off my back. We met at a cafe here in Tokyo. When he showed up, I kept my feelings of resentment up front.

“Hi. My Name’s Aiden Kahler. Are you Adrian Knight?” Aiden asked.

“Yeah,” I said sharply. He looked a bit shocked with my sharp tone, but he sat down across from me.

“Ko tells me you resent me. You resented me before you even met me. Can you tell me why?” he asked.

“Because your parents accept you!” I blurted out, without thinking.

“What...What are you talking about?” he asked.

“Don’t play dumb with me. Koharu already told me about you. I know you’re bi. I know your parents accept you. But, did she tell you about me? If not, I’ll tell you. I’m gay. And when I came out to my parents, they kicked me out, and told me to never contact them ever again. All because I’m gay,” I spat out. I could feel the tears in my eyes. I didn’t want to cry in front of Aiden, but damn it, I couldn’t help it.

“...So, you’re jealous, huh?” Aiden said softly.

“Yeah. I guess I am. Ever since I came out, I felt like everyone knew. I felt unaccepted. I felt like the reason why I couldn’t find a job before Ko’s help was because I’m gay. And, while I’m working, I’m constantly worrying that if my boss found out, he’d fire me on the spot,” I said. I felt a tear slip down my cheek. I bit my bottom lip, trying to hold back any more tears.

“Adrian. I want you to look at me,” Aiden said. I looked up at him. His crimson eyes were filled with sympathy and concern. He moved his chair, so he was sitting next to me. Suddenly, he was hugging me, and I was hugging him back. “Why don’t we go to my house. I can tell you have a lot of emotion that you just want to let loose, but you don’t want to do it in public,” Aiden said. We stood up, and I followed him to his car.

“How did you know?” I asked softly, once we were driving.

“Koharu always told me that I was good at reading how people feel, most of the time. Besides, for you-”

“If this is pity, I don’t want it. I don’t want pity from anyone,” I interrupted.

“It isn’t pity. Far from it. I’ll...I’ll explain it when we get to my house,” Aiden said. I nodded, and the rest of the drive was spent in silence. I glanced over at him a few times. What did he mean when he said it was far from pity? I couldn’t read his expression.

At his house, the two of us went straight to his room, and I sat on his bed. He shut the door, locked it, and sat next to me. I didn’t look at him.
“Adrian. I wish...I wish I could understand how you feel more. You...You were right, when you said my parents accepted me. They didn’t turn me away or kick me out. They embraced me with open arms. You have every right to be jealous. I want to understand you more, though. I want to know everything about you,” Aiden said softly, putting a hand on my shoulder.

“If you’re joking with me, just say you are, now. I’ve had enough people do it to me that I know the signs,” I said. I close my eyes, and I feel him hug me again. Something bubbles up inside of me, and I suddenly start bawling like a baby. I hug him tightly, sobbing into him. He gently rubs my back, and keeps cooing “Let it out. Just let it all out, Adrian.”

~~

It’s now midnight, and I’m heading back to my apartment. When I get inside, I head straight to my room. Right as I lay down on my bed, Koharu comes in.

“Hey. It’s about time you came home,” she says softly.

“I...I didn’t mean to stay that long. Honest,” I said softly, closing my eyes.

“It’s alright. Aiden texted me earlier, and said you were going to be late. Are you feeling okay?” she asked, sitting on the bed.

“Yeah. I’m feeling okay, now,” I said, “May I please get some sleep? I’m exhausted.” It’s no lie. I’m so tired emotionally. Everything that I had bottled up inside came out today with Aiden. Afterwards, I was so tired. I don’t even know how I stayed awake on the car ride here.

“Alright. Don’t forget we have work, tomorrow, though. I’ll wake you up in time for our shifts,” Koharu said, getting up.

“Mhm,” I mumbled, starting to drift off. Before I fell asleep, I heard Koharu shut my door.

~~

“Adrian. In the office. I need to speak with you. Now,” my manager said.I glanced over at Koharu, then followed my manager to the office. Once inside, he shut the door.

“I~Is something the matter?” I asked, trying not to show how scared I was.

“One of your coworkers was at a cafe yesterday, and overheard you talking to someone. They heard that you are gay, is that correct?” he asked. It felt as if a drop of ice water had gone into my bloodstream, giving me a cold chill.

“Y-Yes. That’s correct…,” I said softly, looking at the floor.

“Well. I want to tell you that I respect your decision. It isn’t easy to admit that kind of thing in public like that, especially in today’s world,” my manager said. I looked up at him, dumbfounded.

“You...You aren’t going to...fire me?” I asked.

“No. Why would- Oh. I understand, now. You thought if I found out, I’d fire you. Is that correct?” he asked. I nodded. “I wouldn’t do that. I actually have a cousin who’s gay, as well. I accept him for who he is, and you’re no different,” he said.

“Th-Thank you…” I said softly.

“You’re welcome. Now please return to your work,” he smiled. I smiled, and left the office.

~~

About seven months have passed since that moment at work has happened. I’m very happy to say that Aiden and I started visiting each other more and more, until he finally asked me out. Koharu teased us that it was about time we started dating, but we knew that behind it all, she was very happy for us. I felt...accepted. Sure, when Aiden and I walked down the street holding hands, a few people glared at us. A few also spat hurtful words at us. For the most part, though, people seemed happy for us.

I felt happier than I had in years. Aiden was an amazing boyfriend, and some of our dates, we didn’t go out. We’d stay in the apartment or his house, order take-out, and just watch movies or television together. I was so happy with how everything has turned out. Most of all, now., I’m happy that I feel accepted by the entire world.

Back
Top Bottom