EE Arc 1: Enter Walker High

Status
Not open for further replies.
Draven watched Jordyn lay down to sleep and went back to writing notes, a smile on his face. And also writing down to not forget to wake up Jordyn in big letters.

- - - - -

Sia looked over the passed notes, analyzing the structure and content of them. She flipped through a few pages before looking back to Imani, a smile on her face.

"Studying in our free time would be great, Imani. Maybe I can finally get my dad off my back for not giving enough energy to my school work. That would be very nice, though so would spending time with a friend. As for what can't be taken from me..." She switched into that awkward tone again. "It's not very important. Its, whatever."

- - - - -

Go time.

Draven gently nudged Jordyn when the clock hit, pulling on his gloves and taking the fedora off her head, placing it atop his own.

"Jordyn, time to go. Got that demonstration." He said, making sure to get her up before getting out of his chair and heading out of the classroom the two were in.

- - - - -

Inside the school's largest science lab, a man strutted the floor, pacing back and forth in nervousness. Though he was young, his hair was a warm grey, his eyes a striking red, and he wore a red coat with a long tail, alongside black boots. His name was Doctor Ash Petronov, armed with excessive knowledge of bio-chemistry and a bit less excessive knowledge of engineering. As he strut, an old decrepit man was sitting in a chair behind him, features hidden by a combination of a black suit and jacket, and a top hat that covered his face as he looked down. Venerable, ancient Principle Walker, nephew of the original. An odd pairing: super-star chemist from England, old public American high school principle. While Ash was strutting, one set of doors into the lab opened. The clock rang, signalling it was time for classes to change.

"Show time, Ash." Walker stated, voice carrying his age. Ash paused with one foot in the air and took a normal standing position, placing his hands behind his back, before glancing to something at the center of the floor. A podium, with a sheet over it.

- - - - -

Spiders watched from the ceiling as students filled into the lab, taking standing in classes. By luck, Draven, Jordyn, Sia, and Imani would end up all standing by each other towards the center of the crowd, staring at the doctor positioned next to the covered podium. Students were crowded together, forced into a compact manner to fit in everyone into the lab, encircling Petronov. The doctor was stoic, looking down to the floor, gloved hands behind his back, eyes closed. To his side, Principle Walker, watching both the crowd and the doctor. As the students murmured around themselves, Petronov tilted his head slightly, waiting for the right moment.

Draven took his fedora off and held onto it, glancing around, a bit agitated.
"If we weren't given seats, or told to sit down, then this demonstration can't last that long, right?" He asked.

Sia meanwhile was focused on Principle Walker, staring intently, before seeing something and looking up. Seeing nothing on the ceiling, she started to lower her head, until she caught sight of an open window, opting not to say anything.

"It better not take that long," Jordyn grumbled in a still-sleepy tone. "Feels like being packed like a can of sardines." She remarked to Draven while peering one last look at the flyer she stuffed into her pocket last-minute. "Whatever... as long as it's over soon I guess."

Imani held on to the flyer the school gave out earlier, excited about the presentation. She stood proudly next to Sia until she stared over at Draven and Jordyn. Standing next to a couple of Juniors intimidated her slightly so she made sure to stay close to Sia. She tip-toed to get a better view, especially from the taller people in front of her. 

"Are you excited? I wonder if Spider-Man had any involvement in this." Imani whispered to Sia. "The flyer says this presentation will take us to 'The Ends of Earth.' What do you think that means? Maybe just some mumbo-jumbo science talk?"

Draven simply nodded to Jodryn, agreeing to his acquaintance's opinion on the demonstration.

Meanwhile Sia had a flash of disdain come over her face, eyes narrowing and a frown pulling her lips. That lasted for a moment before she resumed a neutral expression, pulling her face away from the window to face her friend.

"That phrase has more meaning than you might think." She replied quietly to Imani. "As for well, Spider-Man, don't be ridiculous. What would he want with here?"

- - - - -

Petronov started to bob his head in a quick manner, and began to tap his foot on the ground, measuring some sort of time. With all the students inside the lab, the doors closed, making an audible but subtle sound. Suddenly Ash froze, entire body becoming rigid and stiff for a moment, hearing that sound. He pulled up his head and his closed eyes open, revealing the red irises. Pulling his hands from behind his back, he took a step forward and cast a sweeping gaze across the crowd. Excitement was visible in his eyes.

"Energy. Energy is what turns the modern industrial machine and home round and round. Electricity and power generation are the lifeblood of the machine that carries our societies forward and form a corner stone of our cultures." He addressed the room, getting into the thick of things rather than start off by introducing himself, as per the norm of most speakers.

"Without power, everything in our world goes dark." He stated, taking two steps to the left, and with a smirk on his face he snapped his fingers. Suddenly, the lights in the room shut off. A few students cursed at suddenly being unable to see, and some phone screens were visible in the darkness. "In the dark, this blinding night-scape, society and industry come to a halt." With another snap of his fingers, the lights came back on, with a relieved expression on the doctor's face. "Don't mind the theatrics, they're just part of the show." He added with a pleased smile, taking four steps to the right, continuing to address the room. "Without electricity, our modern lives don't continue, the machine addicts fail to function, and the poor souls who rely on technology to remain alive are suddenly at the whims of whoever can manage to get the lights back on." Taking two steps to the left, he was back where he started. "In such a way, we are dependent on electricity and power generation as our bodies are dependent on oxygen and hydrogen." Delivering his evaluation, he turned around to address the other half of the room.

"What I offer is simple. Freedom for every person from those who control the power system. Electric freedom." Those words were delivered with a large smile, the excitement in his eyes going wild. He pulled the sheet off the podium in an extravagant flash, ripping it into the air before casting it to the floor. Sitting on-top of the podium was a glass case, containing a baseball sized orb made of what appeared to be solar cells. "The fruit of my labor, I call it the Solar Redirection Prototype. It's a simple device, with a powerful effect. Some of the best solar cells on the market have a 22% efficiency rating, the regular is 14%. My device has a 97% efficiency rating according to tests, but it's much more than an over-effective solar panel. When activated, it is capable of drawing in all nearby sources of light, meaning that light that does not directly strike the device is still captured and converted into usable electric power." He paused for a moment, letting that sink in, before nodding his head.

"Solar power is not as reliable as fossil fuels, but will only run out when this planet's time literally burns out. This device is capable of doing something that many dream of, providing every individual person a cheap, mass market solar panel capable of powering an entire house. That's right, this prototype is not an expensive scientific gadget, it can be reconstructed using materials already produced in massive volumes at hardware and electronic stores. The key is in the construction, a marvel of engineering. I want to sell it for as little as feasible, cheap enough that anyone can free themselves from the system." With that, he took a look around before bowing, which was received with a round of applause. Rising his torso back up, he turned around again and ended up facing Draven, Jodryn, Imani, and Sia.

"The prototype requires a few volunteers to make an effective showcase, three in fact. The kids with a fedora, the hairclip in her hair, and the one in the bomber jacket, would you please step forward to assist me?" He asked, extending a hand outwards. "Will you let me take you, to the Ends of the Earth?" He asked, offering them a great honor.

A genius chemist presenting an incredible device, something at the limits of terrestrial technology. Three young students, on board for another year at school being offered the chance to demonstrate a seemingly miracle device. This was destiny, the chance to make a mark upon the world. The chance to do something extraordinary. This was the Ends of the Earth, the very pinnacle of existence.

Imani's eyes glittered with amazement and curiosity at the demonstration. When the lights turned off then back on, she jumped slightly but it only made her enjoy it even more. Her attention immediately turned to Ash when he called her and the others forward. She grew nervous but thought there would be no harm in helping the man out. She casually made her way out of the crowd and up right next to Petronov. She shook after realizing how many people will be watching her and the two others.

I'm going this to help Mr. Petronov... You can do this Imani, just relax, what's the worse that can happen?

Jordyn wasn't listening too closely, but got the main gist of what the scientist was saying. Her main thoughts were around if it were a viable alternative to powering an apartment and lowering the utility bills... She became less spaced-out upon realizing that she was the one with the bomber jacket he wanted to step up. 

Quirking a brow, she stayed in her spot for a second before making a half shrug of 'why not' and stepping forward. It wasn't like she could say no with so many eyes on her, but the idea of having less monthly bills to pay because of a free power source was an offer only a fool would refuse. And then maybe she could work part-time instead.

"Sure," was her casual response. Jordyn also gently nudged Draven as she made her way to the front where Mr. Petronov was.

Draven was floored by Petronov's speech, staring forward in allure. Getting poked by Jordyn made him clumsily step forward, moving with the other two to face the good doctor.

Meanwhile, Sia was watching the three and Petronov with mildly disguised annoyance, she suddenly looked up and entire body started to condense with rage. Pushing her way out of the crowd, she disappeared through a door.

- - - - -

Ash smiled at seeing the three come forward, pulling his hand back and resuming an upright pose.

"Perfect, perfect. I'm glad all three of you came, because the demonstration of this device does require careful aid. Now." He turned around and put a hand on the case's lock, and from an audible clicking sound, somehow unlocked it with just his palm. He then lifted up the top of the case, and pulled out the metal device with two arms, lugging it upwards, turning around to face the three. It seemed bigger up close, and far heavier than it's size would suggest, despite being about as big as a baseball.

"Now, this demonstration is delicate. One wrong move and the machine might break, as it's still rather fragile. Does means I can make dozens of them on about a forty dollar budget. So, please be careful." Ash stated. "I need two people to hold the device, considering it's weight. And I need a third person to hold me up, just in case I fall, as activating it requires tremendous effort. Please, assign yourselves to whatever roles you're comfortable with." Ash explained to the three, while obviously have some difficulty keeping the device up. Even if it was fragile, cheap, and small, it seemed unusually dense.

After Petronov finished his instructions, a voice came from above the three. Young, energetic, and with a very clearly queens accent, localized on the ceiling.

"Don't mind if I just drop on in, right Ash?"

Imani blinked at the odd device Ash took out of hiding and realized it was very heavy. She groaned slightly knowing that she wasn't the strongest person out there but decided to move to one of the arms of the machine and hold it as long as she could. Hopefully, with the help of the other three, the weight might not strain her little arms as much. 

This is gonna be so cool! I can be on the front lines of changing history! I can't wait to see what this super cool machine can do! I just hope I don't have to carry this thing forever... it's pretty heavy.

Imani turned her head to the voice above and tilted her head.

Is this part of the demonstration?

Jordyn thought about what she'd do for a moment before taking a step forward and letting Draven be the other person holding the device, mainly because he seemed far more interested than her and she just wanted the whole thing over with. It wouldn't be fair to make him have the more boring seat of the house. But she also wanted to see what would happen from such a seemingly small device. Jordyn was halfway into her query until the unknown voice came from above them. Startled, she jerked her head up and took another step back. 

"What the-" was all that came out of her mouth, indicating clear confusion.

The World May Mock Timid Peter Parker
But Soon, it Will Marvel at the Awesome Might
latest

OF SPIDER-MAN

With his arms and legs on the ceiling, staring from blue-green optic lenses, was none other than New York's finest and most recognizable super hero.

"Spider-Man!?"

Petronov cried, taking a step back upon seeing the wall crawler casually hanging on the ceiling. Multiple people cried out, some whipped out their phones to take photos, others shouted "YOU'RE MY HERO!" Meanwhile, Principle Walker groaned and looked up, his hat temporarily revealing red eyes to stare at Spider-Man.

"I guess I'll repeat the question for those in the class who weren't paying attention." He quipped. "Mind if I just drop in?"

"You may come down from the ceiling and watch the demonstration if it is something that interests you, Spider-Man, but as with all visitors please sign into the office once you're done, and make an appointment next time." Walker stated, deep in annoyance at someone who saves lives on a daily basis. With an athlethe's grace, Spider-Man detached his feet from the ceiling and dangled in the air via his hands before dropping down, crouching for a moment before standing upright, demonstrating incredible balance. There was a small crowd of applause for that.

Draven was watching this happen in-front of his very eyes, dropping his hat and his bag onto the ground in awe. Spider-Man was barely a foot away from the group.

"So, these three are your chosen assistants for the demonstration? Certainly a big honor to be working with the great Ash Petronov. He's no Doctor Strange or Reed Richards but, not everyone can be a super hero and a man of science." Spider-Man stated, looking over the three high schoolers in-front of him, before turning to Ash.

Red, blue, and white. Red, grey, and black. A masked face. A head covered in grey hair. Blue-green lenses. Red eyes full of passion. The two stared at each other for a moment, before Ash stepped forward.

"You may watch this demonstration up close, Spider-Man. I wouldn't say no to a hero like you." Ash replied. The crowd of students were too far away, but Draven, Imani, and Jordyn could all clearly hear it. There was fear in the good doctor's voice. Fear that, they might realize, Spider-Man could also pick up on. Spider-Man reached out with his arm, pulling Ash's shoulder close and leaning in. The super hero whispered to the innovator and chemist.

"Whatever happens Ash, remember that it will be on your head." Spider-Man said in warning before letting go. Ash looked un-phased, except for a slight quibble on his face. The doctor looked to his three demonstration assistants.

"If there's anything you would like to ask Spider-Man here before we activate the proto-type, now would be a good time." Petronov stated.

"I-Is that Spider-Man?!" Imani gasped, nearly dropping the machine. "Mr. Spider-Man! I.. I -- It's such an honor! I'm a huge fan! I.. I just -- I mean -- This is so cool! Oh my gosh! You can watch me play with Mr. Petronov! I-I mean you can watch his machine play with me! N-No! I--I please don't -- Ack! What I meant to say was t-that I'm going to help Mr. Petronov demonstrate something amazing with his machine! I-I'm not a weirdo or anything! I swear! It's just super cool meeting someone as popular as you! I-I just caught my words!"

Imani's cheeks flared red and her entire body shook the moment she saw Spider-Man. She was so nervous that she eventually began to feel lightheaded and even nauseous. The young girl tried her best to keep her composure and act cool in front of her idol but occasionally found herself staring at him. She couldn't help but stifle a cute giggle the excitement being a little too much for a young teenager to handle. 

"I hope I can get an autograph after all this, Mr. Spider-Man! Errm, if you don't mind, of course!"

Jordyn watched the scene play out before her with nothing to respond with but an expression of obvious puzzlement. She found it really odd for Spiderman himself to show up at a demonstration like this, but maybe the Principal invited him over? He didn't sound very happy to see him, but the old man was always a stickler for the rules anyway. Jordyn uselessly tried to get the question about what Spiderman was doing at their school of all places but then closed it promptly before shaking her head. She was so stunned at his showing up she didn't even think of asking him for a picture later.

"Just uh, make sure this thing doesn't blow up on us?" She made a halfhearted attempt at a joke, looking over at Draven while taking position to catch the doctor. "Uh, ready when you guys are..."

Draven tilted his head at Spider-Man and Ash talking, having been paying attention to the doctor still, but didn't have time to process it.

"Question? Uh, question for the Amazing Spider-Man? Uh, er," he said quickly brushing his hair in nervousness, "you always take an interest in high school demonstrations?" He asked.

"Kid, I got my powers from a high school demonstration. Ever read the comics Marvel prints?" Spider-Man replied with a chuckle indicating he was joking to Draven before turning to Imani.

"Sure, I got time for a auto-graph after this, though you'll really want to help Doctor Petronov here with his demonstration. It's a bit important." He added, before then tensing up to look to Jodryn, blue-green lenses narrowing. "I''ll make sure you're safe. All of you. Promise."

- - - - -

With the questions out of the way, Ash held up the baseball sized device in his arms and placed it into some sort of container that had two arms attached, both large enough to be held by a single individual. Draven moved to his left, with Imani on his right, and Jodryn behind him, Ash lifted up the container and held it out for the two to grab. With the container suspended in the air, he placed a hand forward and gripped the solar redirection proto-type, starting to apply incredible pressure onto it.

"With my assistants in place I will now demonstrate the capabilities of this technology. I made bold claims and I intend to prove them. Though incredibly efficient in it's design, it comes at a cost in weight and cumbersome of use. In order to active it, I have to apply incredible force from my hand onto it, in order to press together the circuits. Now, carefully, I will lower the light levels of this room by adsorbing the photons into this proto-type."

The device began to click and slightly glow. The lights above, illuminating the room, the sunlight that was coming in from the morning sun, and the light coming from cameras filming Spider-Man became dimmer, making it harder to see. The prototype continued it's work, until everything in the room was barely visible. The device itself gave off a soft glow, with occasional sparks of electricity dancing across it's metal surface, Ash's face contorting in pain slightly, the doctor wobbling a bit.

"And now, with the photons stored in the device..." He breathed in. "I can transform it into electricity or release it back as a concentrated beam of light, much like a flashlight." He stated, pressing on the device again. It began to glow brightly, shooting off light in all directions and demonstrating the light it had captured within.

That wasn't like a flashlight.

In the light produced, Draven and Imani could see that Ash was having difficulty breathing, and Jodryn right behind him could see his footing was becoming unbalanced.

Spider-Man stood in the darkness, blue-green optics being visible despite everything else, watching the doctor intensely.

Imani's cheeks turned red when Spider-Man said he would keep them safe and offer her an autograph. When the demonstration began, she made sure to focus and hold the machine for Petronov. She carefully watched the demonstration and kept her mind open to all the sights and sounds around her, but once the machine started to light up, Imani noticed the shallow breaths of Doctor Petronov. Her amazed look turned to worry.

"H-Hey, are you okay, doctor?" Imani said just loud enough for Draven, Jordyn, and Petronov. "You don't look so good."

"Is this part of the demonstration, doc!?" Jordyn tried to keep Ash upright while dealing with having her sight obscured by both the darkness and her position behind him. "How much longer? I can't see a thing." She called aloud. "Should we turn it off now?"

"Doctor Petronov, can you hear us!?" Draven shouted. There was no reply from Ash, who for a moment stopped breathing. He closed his eyes, face going lax, and let go of the device, collapsing backwards onto Jodryn, exactly why he asked for someone to stand behind him. Draven almost let go out of the container in shock, but held it up. The device began to emit massive radiance, barely short of becoming blinding, letting the three assistants see each other in the darkness.

"What the Hell is happening!?" Draven shouted.

Blue-green optics narrowed at Ash's fall onto Jodryn, body tensing up and hesitating. Imani could see her hero standing in the dark, staring at Ash, caught in indecision. Draven was staring at Imani, freaking out about what was happening. Ash was still falling. There was the sound of doors opening as the device continued to increase in radiance along with metal boot steps.

And then, Spider-Man rose up both arms and pointed one at a solid wall, and the other at the device, the hiss of web-shooter releases could be heard.

Ten seconds before the device gets to a point of such radiance it becomes impossible to see.

"M-Mr. Spider-Man! You have to help Dr. Petronov! H-He doesn't look good at all! Gwaah!"

The bright light was too much for little Imani to handle and she closed her eyes as tight as she could. One arm rose to help shield her face from the light but she made sure to keep the other arm grabbing the machine. Her heart raced, fear surging through her tiny body, forcing her mind to panic. She couldn't help but release a scream that was loud enough to be heard by even the people watching them.

"Stop this stupid thing!!!"

Jordyn barely managed to keep herself standing the second Dr. Petronov completely fell limp. "Why're you asking me, I don't know what the fuck just happened!" She shouted back at Draven, more out of alarm than anything else. She grunted and decidedly knelt onto the floor in order to lay Ash flat on his back, instinctively squeezing her eyes shut while shielding her face with a free arm. "I think it's gonna blow!" Jordyn cried out in fear.

"I don't want to die!" Draven shouted as he closed his eyes, looking away from the device in the container, which was growing bright and brighter by the moment.

Spider-Man glanced at Imani before double pressing his left palm with his middle and ring fingers, a web shooting out of his armor and attaching itself firmly to a solid wall, before grabbing onto that web. He then looked at the device she was supporting and double tapped his right palm with his middle and ring fingers, a web spraying out and latching on, to the small metal ball, before grabbing onto that web. He leaned backwards, his feet planting themselves into the ground and himself relying on the web attached to the wall for support. He then pulled his right arm over his body and letting go of the web. The device attached to said web flew out of it's container and towards a window, smashing threw it and flying out into the air above the streets of New York, becoming brighter and brighter in brilliance. It was barely out of the building before it reached a critical mass of light, blinding everyone in the room.

And then, all of the built up photons discharged, creating a blinding wave of light that collided with the building and into the room, knocking everyone off their feet and onto the ground.

- - - - -

Draven, along with dozens of others, were screaming from the pain of being blinded, and laying on the ground from the wave of force that resulted from the prototype's detonation. He was writhing on the ground near Jodryn and Imani, the container that once held the device was laying a bit a ways from them, thankfully knocked away from the same force. As the light subsided and he could begin to see, he looked up to the ceiling. In blurry vision there were three spiders, descending downwards on woven web strings, shaking and biting the air, eyes rapidly blinding. He could barely move, but tried and failed to inch away from the oncoming spiders.

- - - - -

Standing over the prone bodies of the three demonstration assistants was Spider-Man, perfectly fine. And in Spider-Man's hands was none other than Doctor Ash Petronov, being held up by his shirt collar, face drained of color and eyes unfocused.

"Saving the world? Making life better for every individual? Look around Ash, you nearly flash fried everyone in this room!" Spider-Man shouted at the doctor. "I warned you that you shouldn't be playing with toys like that, even with a PhD!" He continued, as Ash tightened his face, slowly moving one of his arms. "If I hadn't been here today, you, and all of these kids, would've been killed. You eggheads think you can play with danger until-" Ash brought his right arm up and placed it on the side of Spider-Man's face, pressing inwards. One of the blue-green optic lenses shut off, becoming a solid and opaque green, while Spider-Man dropped Ash and stumbled backwards, grabbing onto his head. Ash coughed as he landed on the ground, slowly standing back up to see Spider-Man with only one lens active, staring at the doctor.

"I don't appreciate being man handled! Quit yelling at me and look after the kids!" He replied, brushing some dirt off his red coat. The two stared at each other for a moment, until both narrowed their eyes and tensed up. Ash put his hands inside his coat, and pulled them out again, now covered in grey gauntlets, while Spider-Man just readied himself.

Red eyes burning from the light. A single glowing blue-green optic. Grey gauntlets that seemed much more violent than what should be allowed. Two pairs of armored super human fists.

- - - - -

Meanwhile, a female voice could be heard.

"Principle Walker? Principle Walker? Are you alive? Can you hear me?" She asked in desperation.

Jordyn was on all fours rubbing at her eyes even though she already shielded her face just before the lightwave erupted. "You guys okay?" She asked Imani and Draven, but became alarmed once she saw Ash facing opposite Spider-Man. "Wuh? Uh? Huh?" Was all she could utter through her clear state of confusion. Jordyn's ears perked at the voice calling for the Principal, eyes going wide. "Old man Walker?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom